Angry!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dubbyaman, Aug 15, 2016.

1. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      So everywhere I read about this condition, it all says the same thing. "It's a riddle in the brain." This makes me so angry at government and society for not making others aware!!!

• Agree Agree x 4
    2. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Dubbyaman the sooner you accept that nobody cares about tinnitus, awareness or us in general the better for you, less stress.

You've been here long enough now to see the tragedy happening amongst tinnitus community where those habituated blame those who are not, where mild cases are giving us a recipe how to get better and where the lethargy to do something is not sad but rather tragic!

We deserve this!

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @Dubbyaman . Try not to stress. We all have it That's the bottom line. No cure is coming our way as yet.

4. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound, though never proven
      You've been here long enough now to see the tragedy happening amongst tinnitus community where those who claim to be habituated blame those who are not (fixed it Val).

5. Sgguy46
      Jaded

Sgguy46 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      it is not as if they don't want to cure tinnitus. nobody has a clue how to.

6. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The brain is a riddle, if anyone ever solves it I imagine we'll all just spontaneously vanish because the exit criteria for the Universal Loop will have finally been achieved.

There are no answers here, turtles all the way down, it can be fun to play with these concepts in meditative spaces, sensory deprivation tanks, or possibly in an Ayahausca ritual if you are strong of mind and spirit.

7. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      There is actually plenty of awareness, but admittedly, it seems to be in the wrong direction... :D

3CE53C6F41639F1171F275D1427D0BEC.jpg

1,width=280,height=280,version=1440399755.png

CIMG3422.JPG

20080908_VFestTooLoud.jpg

8. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      • Like Like x 2
    9. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      There is however a definite lack of education about other causes of tinnitus than acoustic, including ototoxicity. My GP still remains convinced that only the sorts of drugs that might be given during chemo, or other extremely serious illnesses in hospital will cause it - appalling ignorance.

10. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Its a known side effect of some old and common antibiotics and diuretics, drugs a GP has no business not knowing about.

11. Owen
      Disappointed

Owen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unclear. Inflammatory allergic reaction/AIED
      I couldn't agree more. Having never really needed the doctors much until I became ill about 5 years ago, I had no strong opinions on doctors, but having needed them, I can honestly say that if I was as useless at my job, I would expect to be sacked!

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      @Sebastians Very good Paul Stanley video but notice how he just talks about hearing loss. He does not mention T or H. I'm sorry but to some people, hearing loss isn't as threatening as hearing a non stop noise that causes concentration problems, anxiety, depression, sleep disturbances and even suicide in some cases....and thats not even including the hell of Hyperacusis. There are tons of people who live just fine with just hearing loss. There's an article on the ATA website of a firemen's journey with T and it says right there in the opening, "Most people think of hearing loss as a peaceful day fishing at the lake but don't realize that that's not the case for some. It can also be non stop screaming in the head." I'm paraphrasing what it says but it's the truth.

• Agree Agree x 4
    13. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      I would choose to be deaf if that would mean complete silence!

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      Or someone uber famous to get it badly to the point that others have gotten it that have silenced it all!!!!

16. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011

Money talks better than anything!
      Few millions in compensation would teach them a lesson!

17. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Like Like x 1
    18. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've noted before, and its worth mentioning again that were we to flood our various nation's welfare services with claims for permanent disability then you would see some practical change.

19. valeri

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Agree!
      But tinnitus is hardly considered a disability and people may spend years trying to prove that they are actually disabled by it, with various results in the end, mostly negative.

20. ChrisJ

ChrisJ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      PT since 1988. T with H since June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      One of the guilt trips a registrar at the Royal Ear Nose and Throat hospital gave me was:
      "Millions of people have got what you have and don't even know it."

Implying that the problem was with me for just not being able to cope with it. And this was the UK's most reputable hospital for ENT based in London. I went there to get a second opinion, they fobbed me off with a registrar who has sent me for another round of TRT. He also pointed at my headphones and said "you have the hearing of a 45 year old (I don't) because you listen to loud music." I don't do that either, I use the noise cancelling headphones to protect my ears from noise because I have hyperacusis. A symptom he couldn't even hear me say apparently.

Funny story: because I knew they weren't going to take me seriously I already saw one of their consultants privately, £200 for 30mins. He thought I should be referred to a neuro-otologist. Strange how when you pay a doctor he thinks what you have is serious but when he's just on a salary and is over worked he just wants you out the door.

I will be putting in a complaint. I can't say I recommend the Royal Ear Nose and Throat hospital for anyone with Tinnitus as a symptom.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Zorro!
      Wtf

Zorro! Member

This happens in America too, with upper-tier private health providers no less. My own doc told me to "give it a month"; implying that I was freaking out over nothing. It's 10 months later and my tinnitus is still just as loud as day 1.

22. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Then there will be floods of denials. In the US tinnitus is only considered a disability if you are a veteran, and only a partial one at that.

23. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I asked this very question to the audiologist I met yesterday. He said that the assessment is typically done through the psychiatric route (even for non veterans), as you can't trust a "I can't work because I have tinnitus" statement since you can't measure it.

24. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Grr, but tinnitus isn't a psychological problem!
      It pisses me off to no end when doctors pass people with conditions they don't know how to treat off to a psychiatrist.

• Winner Winner x 1
    25. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I think he was just talking about the assessment from the disability perspective, not necessarily the diagnosis or treatment.
      Without any means of measuring T "from the outside", they're looking for a "plausible proxy". I guess it's too easy to lie and say "I have T and cannot work", but on the other hand I'm sure you can lie to a psychiatrist too.

What seems reasonable is that someone with intrusive T will probably have had some kind of contact with a psychiatrist somewhere in their T journey.

I admit it's a condition that is hard to establish from the outside. A good liar can probably fake a lot of it, so they may have to conduct an investigation with multiple clues collected to see if it "fits", not unlike what immigration officers do to spot "fake marriages".

26. PaulBe

PaulBe Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I was pondering this since I posted above. We all know that this is a physical reality, but to an outsider who doesn't have it, it presents not unlike a "psychiatric" condition when they see us. I wonder if the same can be said for other chronic pain syndromes. I've been Nursing long enough to know how quickly we health care people pull out the "oh he's just putting it on to get more drugs" line. Sometimes that is true, but most times I think we just use it as a cop-out, and I've been as guilty of it in the past as any other Doctor or Nurse. (Kind of karma right back at me to find myself in this situation now).