Any Success Stories from Hyperacusis Sufferers Who Haven't Used Sound Therapy?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dja, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fridge, computer fans and lots of annoying sounds and stress
      I have been using sound therapy for almost a year and looking at the bigger picture honestly it has never given me any improvements in the long term and as far as I can remember the first time I decided going with it was when it started to become severe. Severe as in feeling pain and pressure for most of the time.

Before that I would just have a bit of ear fullness every now and then and if I didn't listen to any noise it would slightly become better, until I would be careless and listen to something loud again it would become bad for a bit and then again become normal after a few days.

But after I started doing sound therapy it's like I've been just irritating my ear for a whole year which is why it's never gotten better and only worse. It's like I never really gave my ear a break to let it rest.

So my question is, anyone whose hyperacusis got better without sound therapy?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. Agrajag364

Agrajag364 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Could you describe what your sound therapy has been exactly?

3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      TRT is literally a meme, curing severe forms of hyperacusis/pain will come down to cutting edge biomedical science not Pawel Jasterboff's dogma.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    4. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      CBT is also a meme

5. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      bad memes

• Funny Funny x 1
    6. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Mine got 90% better with surgery, but that's because I have otosclerosis.
      I suggest you root cause your T so you can figure out your options. You list random reasons in your "cause of tinnitus", and I'm afraid they are not very convincing.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mostly pink noise in many forms. I searched for many things and went through them one by one and I never found any one of them giving me relief in the long term. Sometimes i'd feel relief for a couple of minutes and my mind would say this is actually working, but thinking back it was always worse in the end. Pink noise at barely audible volumes is what I listened to most of the time. I recently for a tinnitus/hyperacusis sound machine from oasis and it hasnt helped either. I'd always leave it on and forcing it thinking it'll get better at some point but it is still only getting worse causing more and more pressure and pain. I think my form of hyperacusis just doesnt tolerate that stuff and looking back it never actually did. There was a point of my hyperacusis where ear pressure wasnt constantly a thing like it is now, and I remember fans always affecting my ear which is I think similar to white and pink noise? Honestly I think hyperacusis is an irritation disorder. It reacts to that which the mind finds or found annoying and reacts accordingly untill it becomes a disorder and becomes constantly tense. I think I should basically just relax and avoid noise sometime, without earplugs that is.

8. eagerUser

eagerUser Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Yes. Mine was caused by mental tiredness. I couldn't tolerate noises as low as the noise of people eating, car horn hunking sound was a nightmare also I wanted to kill myself when a baby was crying. But all these problems settled. You know I guess everyone has sensitivity to some certain noises and that's quite normal e.g. i have never been able to bear horn hunking sound but it no longer bothers me. It's steel a nasty one for me bmore t mtolerable. I don't know if what i have been going through is called Hyperacusis. I have ear fullness sometimes when I'm off to work but think that has nothing to do with hyperacusis.

Good Luck

• Like Like x 1
    9. eagerUser

eagerUser Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Sorry for the misspellings donno what's wrong with my keyboard, anyway this is the sentence:

It's still a nasty one for me but more tolerable.

10. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Well, as other people pointed out, sound therapy is just a wise scam that han been around for too much time.. it doe not really work.

When my hyperacusis was really bad I tried to go on with my life as best as I could. This is the same I do today, trying to carry on. If one lives more or less a normal life, goes to work in an environment that is somewhat noisy, can go sometimes to a restaurant, or to the grocery store, or even bear a coffee bar for some limited time... well, one would think that hyperacusis is going to eventually go...

Actually no, hyperacusis stayed and I got some hearing loss. So sound therapy is not really going to help. And sound therapy cannot replicate or simulate the sounds one is going to face at work or encounter when going for a stroll in real life, outside home.. so give your ears time, live your life the best you can, deal with hearing issues the best you know, and see if in your case you experience some improvement. Time is better than sound therapy.

11. Red
      Crappy

Red Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure (Headphones)
      There is a woman on Facebook who got better after being in silence for 3 months and never leaving the house. Says her current LDL is 95db after doing it but I don't know what she started with.

12. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      But there are tons of sounds above 95 dbs. Just on a daily basis, loud motorbikes, car horns, trucks etc Subway noises, PA systems, music at shopping malls etc

The problem with that statement on Facebook is what getting better means. Does it mean living a totally normal life, like everyone else? Does it mean that LDLs improved? Does it mean pain and fullness went away permanently?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Static noises is what caused my tinnitus/hyperacusis to begin with is what I realize

I remember the first time feeling my ears starting to get muffled was because of my PC tower's fans. Not only that but I always heard the fans causing a high pitched noise which were not heard by others. I remember my brothers thinking i'm paranoid. I never had a problem with it untill my ears started getting muffled, that is when my alarm bells started ringing and also when I started to feel very uncomfortable. I've always felt great discomfort from any type of static noise and honestly the white noise pink noise thing is very similar to what caused my tinnitues and hyperacusis to begin with. How is it that pink noise is so encouraged when there's cases like mine where it's exactly what's caused the pain.

I've been giving the sound machine a try again the last couple of weeks and i'm done with it. I think what I need is non static sound file that doesn't have frequences that bother me. If anyone got suggestions i'll be thankful. I already got a couple through private messages and they work so far.

14. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      you might have conductive hyperacusis caused by middle ear bones, it's not the same thing as inner ear disorders.

you guys should be more descriptive of hyperacusis and understand the technical pathologies not just call any form of ear discomfort or sound intolerance hyperacusis, I mean my grandma had an ear ache that doesn't mean that she had hyperacusis.

15. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      To me it sounds odd that the computer's fans could give you hyperacusis. Maybe you have really good hearing and are annoyed by the noise, but that is not exactly hyperacusis, it is more like misophonia.

Hyperacusis at its peak is like hell on earth, you wouldnt be able to leave the house, and would be in pain all the time after hearing a sound over a certain decibel threshold. Pain, extreme pressure inside the ears, migraine-like headaches would stay there for weeks after sound exposure, even when there is no sound, until the pressure and all the symptoms eventually start to fade.

16. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Hyperacusis isn't limited to inner ear disorders. It encompasses symptoms that can occur due to various root causes.

The symptoms are described as "an increased sensitivity to certain frequencies and volume ranges of sound (a collapsed tolerance to usual environmental sound). A person with severe hyperacusis has difficulty tolerating everyday sounds, which become painful or loud." (source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperacusis )

That's exactly what I was experiencing.

• Like Like x 1
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No I dont have what you're describing in your second paragraph. I can bear sound without too much issue, only problem is that it makes my ear muffled and my hearing distorted. I get headaches sometimes but not for weeks, just for a couple of hourse. Do I really have misophonia? Because maybe I should be looking for other solutions then. Static noises is my biggest problem

Edit: I just read about it and I think I do may have misophonia...

18. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      As you are describing the symptoms, they do not really match hyperacusis. I think it is probably misophonia.

19. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I definitely need sound retraining therapy that's for sure, it's just that most exist of static noises. Like rain, wind and even river sounds. Strangely I cant stand all those. There's one that's given me a lot of relief however. I wonder why that is

This one

Happiness Frequency: 💚 Serotonin, Dopamine,...

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've made a major discovery for myself. I've been wondering for some time why after a long workday as a construction worker and lots of noise, also in the car with radio on, i wouldn't feel bad and sometimes the whole muffled ear thing would be completely absent. I think I do may have misophonia, yes from specific sounds but in essence it's from certain frequencies and them catching my attention. During work and listening on radio really nothing catches my attention in a bad way, but this had been the case in the past. I would look for silence and at the same time be wary and tense to anticipating the smallest annoying sound. My compiter fans were something i'd focus on very strongly. I'd even hear the sound if it wasn't on at some point.

I think what may have happened with me is indeed psychologically becoming afraid of certain noises/frequencies because of my built hate for them.

All this time I had been thinking that my sound tolerance had died down but that doesnt even make sense when a long workday made me feel better sometimes. I think that it's me being tense and anticipating a bad noise is what's caused my ear muscle to wanna protect itself against what I experienced to be unpleasant sounds for a long time.

I think what I need to do is a frequence retraining of some sorts. A sound therapy that makes me get used to all range of frequences once again. This is all just some amateurish analysis but what do u guys think?

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Dja
      Mellow

Dja Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Why does pink noise irritate and do me so much harm? I tried it again yesterday just to see what it would do and t made my ears hurt and ring like crazy. I don't get why pink noise of all does this. Regular sounds don't do this. Static noises may just be my kryptonite.

22. Chris Robinson

Chris Robinson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      various
      I have tried just about every treatment out there. Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy, Stem Cells, many different sound therapies, and drugs.

In the end improvement came when I had reason to be transferred to a semi rural area in the countryside, almost devoid of any sounds for about 18 months.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    23. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      How are you now, and how would you define that improvement?

24. JYD

JYD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-frequency hearing loss
      Yup. Curious how's he 'recovered' from hyperacusis!