Be Honest. Do You Still Enjoy Life?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rich, Feb 27, 2013.

?

Do you enjoy your life despite having tinnitus?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      My tinnitus is too loud to ever fade into the background. I just have to get used to hearing it, which is hard to believe can happen with all I have read on this forum.

I also have another medical problem that is making everything difficult to ever believe I'll have a fulfilling life. And on top of all of that I'm still trying to get over a decade long relationship, while watching that other person go on to have a good life without me.

• Hug Hug x 16
    2. Psych
      Wishful

Psych Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Many moons...
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think I could enjoy life a lot more if I didn't have comorbidities along with the tinnitus. They seem to, at times, bring it to the fore, and are debilitating in and of themselves. It often ends up making the t seem that much worse, although sometimes they are to the point where they distract from it.

So, yeah, quality of life is way down, though there are good times that I make a point of purposely creating on a regular basis. I had an idea about life, though, and it has been dashed, at least for the time being. At any rate, best wishes to all in their quest for health! :huganimation:

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Your path is quite similar to mine.

I had very mild tinnitus for as long as I can remember. I don't even know when it came on, probably in my early 20s from playing in bands. I only heard it in bed at night or when I put in my earphones. It didn't bother me at all.

Then about 8 months ago, I woke up to really loud hissing in both ears. It bothered me a lot at first but I got used to it after about a month, even though I could hear it outside.

About a month after that I apparently suffered an acoustic trauma during an Acoustic Reflex Test. They did a tinnitus tone and volume match which I'm sure can attribute as well. Ended up with deafening ringing in my left ear. I have not been able to habituate to it after 7 months.

Then back in April I believe a combination of taking Doxycycline and then the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine increased the hissing sound.

Once more, a few weeks ago I was using Flonase and developed at a new fluctuation to the hissing that is just terrible. It's almost like a dental drill going off and on.

• Hug Hug x 5
    4. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Wow.

5. Poseidon65

Poseidon65 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A loud live music show
      Lately I’ve felt like I’m in a state of suspended animation. I am technically alive, things happen to me and I respond to them. But I am no longer in the driver’s seat of my life.

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Derek26

Derek26 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Celexa/Noise Exposure
      No.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    7. CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, I do still enjoy life, I try to keep the positives in my mind especially on a bad day of tinnitus, and be thankful for all that I have.

My tinnitus is somewhat better on some days than others, and some days I can hardly deal with it.

But I am thankful for my eye sight, and so much more that could be taken for granted, now that I have tinnitus for years I have realized how I took my silence for granted.

I’m thankful for my family, I am thankful for what all the Lord has blessed me with.

• Like x 3
      • Optimistic x 3
      • Hug x 2
      • Winner x 2
      • Agree x 1
      • Helpful x 1
    8. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Exactly this, and when a sufficient amount of time has passed I can neither recall the details nor does it feel real. The last 11 months feel like a false reality.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. Bimmerboy

Bimmerboy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14/02/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      covid, infection, stress, ototoxic meds, noise, TMJ
      I'm trying to enjoy my life, but really it's the fear and paranoia that I have; what if the tinnitus gets worse to the point I can't live on. Not healthy to live like that - everyday in fear I cover my ears at everything, close windows so no sirens or ice cream trucks (hate them with a passion) can drive by. It gets tiring. The constant worry about living in general, with limited career choices. Limited leisure, even worried to get a hair cut.

But ehh it is what it is.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    10. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

How are you doing now?

11. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Dumb fucking audiologists. I had Acoustic Reflex Test too that flared things up for several days. The last time I tried TRT with this person, when she realized that she was not going to be able to help, she blamed it on misophonia or whatever it's called stating that she was not trained how to tackle this. It really is quackery.

Did you guys see this Dr. Ben Thompson on YouTube? He has a video actually claiming that perhaps if Kent Taylor had reached out to him, he may still be around.

Hate to break it to you Dr. Ben, Kent was worth 600 million, he could have afforded the best or with the master himself.

• Like Like x 2
    12. Gr8fulDude
      Balanced

Gr8fulDude Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss from loud music and noise
      Yes I am able to enjoy life immensely. It took a few months to habituate but as the tinnitus faded into the background more, I noticed it less and less to the point it has no influence on my quality of life.

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    13. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic reflex test is killer. I'm glad you were able to recover.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      So far I enjoy life... I take things in stride. I’m lying down putting my son to sleep and his fan is making me ears sizzle.

Right ear: straight ringing increasing
      Right ear: beep beep beep ping ping
      Left ear. Bzz bzz bzzz bzz bzz
      Left ear: squeeeeeeeal
      Head: hummmmm

Simultaneously jibberish. I’m not panicking or anxious at all. I hear my son snoring and I’m focusing on that... his warmth of his body touching mine, knowing he’s healthy makes me smile. Then my mind is thinking of brisket I’ll be eating tomorrow yum.

I hope in years I don’t even think of this crap at all, it’s really nonsense noise. The reactivity hasn’t healed at all, maybe is even worse. What can we do.

• Hug x 4
      • Winner x 3
      • Agree x 2
      • Friendly x 2
      • Optimistic x 1
    15. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Good for you! Truly.

• Agree Agree x 3
    16. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      I actually had that test with 2 out of 3 audiologists I tried working with. The last one just said "it's nothing I did" when I told her it aggravated things for a while. This is why I am reluctant to try any further.

1 - Sound therapy aka attempted TRT failed on 3 occasions.

2 - There does not seem to be any accountability put on the practitioner if they fail to help or god forbid make things worse. They get paid no matter what.

It's the same for my wife who is dealing with facial/dental chronic pain.

17. TrevorSanders

TrevorSanders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure/Ototoxic Medication
      1.5 years in. Haven't habituated and no longer enjoy life.

• Hug Hug x 3
    18. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've only met one audiologist that knew what the hell she was doing and was protective of making me worse.

• Informative Informative x 1
    19. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Putting my daughter to bed is my favourite part of the day, an absolute nightmare tinnitus wise, but worth every second. I do wish she snored though, it would make things a little easier!

I voted yes. Some days I hate life, but other days/moments are still good.

• Like Like x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. Mumbo

Mumbo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sometimes yes, sometimes no. My biggest hurdle now is that I used to adore my life and a huge part of me wants to be able to live exactly the same way I used to. I can no longer do that and I need to learn how to adapt. I need to say goodbye to many things I can no longer participate in, but the stubborn part of me isn't ready. That same stupid stubborn part of me hasn't quite realized that I can take my life in a NEW direction, and one that I might enjoy just as much if I gave it a chance. Until I get that notion through my thick head I'll never regain the happiness living used to give me. Luckily, that same stubbornness won't let me be satisfied with a mediocre unhappy life, so sooner or later everything will sort itself out.

The one thing I may miss the most is the warm comfy feeling I would get from lying down in bed and being able to meditate in the quiet as all my troubles drift away in a sea of liquid bliss. Now that sea is full of monsters that all scream at me and won't let me sleep. The only way I can silence them is through self-medicating with sleeping pills, which unfortunately bypasses the entire warm tingly meditation thing I had going. I hate going to bed now almost as much as I hate waking up to the realization of what waits for my ears. But, this new crazy ear sound is still fresh to my brain and maybe someday those monsters will turn into companions that I don't resent with every fiber of my being.

• Hug Hug x 2
    21. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I did for a while. Now, I don't. 2 new intrusive sounds out of nowhere and 5 years of chronic pain without known cause. Wish I was sleeping every minute I'm awake because I can't die yet. Sleep is the next best thing.

• Hug Hug x 3
    22. Vassili
      Dreaming

Vassili Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      I am working on it. :blackeye:

• Like Like x 3
    23. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To bobvann:

Thanks for that report on Ben Thompson.

Julian Cowan Hill also posted a video where he implied that, if Gaby Olthuis had gone to see him, she would have been able to improve to the extent that she would not have wanted to be euthanized.

These guys are as morally contemptible as was the Con Artist played by John Cusack in the movie "The Grifters."

Whenever I consider them I hear the Stephen Sondheim song "Send In the Clowns."

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    24. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      That's a very loud test. You are lucky not to have suffered a permanent setback like I did...

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Have you tried LDN? I think the leading cause of chronic pain is undiagnosed autoimmune conditions. It took me 3.5 years to get a diagnosis, and this is relatively fast compared to some. Keep pushing for more tests!

The worst part of being undiagnosed is being told that you are ‘perfectly healthy’. You are made to feel like it’s all in your head.

• Agree Agree x 4
    26. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Like I said you are one of my favorite posters.

Julian Cowan Snake actually works with Ben Thompson. Surprise surprise.

I voted yes because besides selling my drums I can do most thing including watching TV with Sony A09J OLED TV, 5.1.4 audio system with Onkyo amp & Kef speakers. I can ride a bike.

@ work I can distract with some YouTube sounds.

@kingsfan, I live In Vancouver BC. I have been to a few NHL games. Two vs The Kings. :p

27. DocTors_94
      In pain

DocTors_94 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise/ Covid? / Benzos / Ototoxicity
      I am jealous of your tinnitus. I would kill to have a stable tinnitus and be able to watch TV and ride my mountain bike...

I voted no for obvious reasons... 24/7 pure torture listening to my blasting tinnitus with earmuffs. Hope death is coming soon.

• Hug Hug x 6
    28. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      My tinnitus still sucks on a bad day. I also have not been to the gym in almost a year. I may go back soon since neglecting to exercise may bring on more health issues.

Yesterday was such a bad day, today is a better one. This is not lost on me when I read some poor folks where every sound is like stabbing pain. Or the pain/screaming is constant.

Hence why stopping drumming is a minor sacrifice. I figured it may have driven me to this point.

Some people state that there is no such thing as a worsening baseline, only distress. That it's only fear based.

I am going with my common sense.

People on forums can offer all the advice all they want. They are not going to be there or held accountable if their "advice" drives one to disability.

Speaking of which, I don't get why folks would be denied disability for this when it was just posted that some vets just won millions in compensation.

29. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Did they win compensation specifically for tinnitus or for other hearing issues?

30. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Pretty sure he’s talking about the 3M defective earplugs lawsuit.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2