Be Honest. Do You Still Enjoy Life?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Rich, Feb 27, 2013.

?

Do you enjoy your life despite having tinnitus?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. beefling

beefling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Cumulative noise/Dysacusis
      Really took the words right out of my mouth. How can I take this thing and use it as a force for positive change? Before tinnitus I was already dealing with major depression and anxiety issues. The tinnitus is just the tip of the iceberg (granted, it's a BIG piece of that berg). The hump that broke the camel's back, so to speak. The state of my mood shifts constantly. I'm trying to move forward for once and make a change. It'll be a slow, grueling process. Baby steps.

So my answer to the thread title is: mostly no, though that was true even before tinnitus, albeit not quite as bad. But I'm not ready to throw in the towel yet.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    2. Steph1710
      Old hag

Steph1710 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      Bloody hell! I nearly fell off my seat reading that! :ROFL: I haven’t got a pot to piss in (English saying - meaning I’m poor as hell).

I work and save money. I live in a van. I don’t have a mortgage or pay rent. I sacrifice being comfortable to be able to do the things I want.

Also, a lot of what I listed is free to do. Wild swimming, hiking, kayaking, fossil hunting - all free! My van means I don’t have to pay for campsites or hotels - so again free! Most of my hobbies/activities don’t cost money at all.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      That also pretty much sums it up for me. 69 years old, with very high-pitched physical somatic tinnitus accompanied by a matching band.

It's my physical comorbidities with severe pain that makes having tinnitus more difficult.

I cannot bend or lift more than a pound. One condition being burning vein and artery disease. My feet are so swollen, I can't wear shoes. I can't clean or dress myself without assistance. Cut nerves in jaw from dental gone wrong are very painful.

I can't take medications for pain because of sensitive nerves.

• Hug Hug x 5
    4. Travis Henry
      Cynical

Travis Henry Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 Moderna Vac, Noise and stress I guess, its killing me
      If y'all don't have catastrophic reactive tinnitus with loudness hyperacusis or something along those lines and you don't enjoy life... man just realize it could be much worse and go enjoy things.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Steph1710
      Old hag

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      I’m so sorry you’re suffering @Travis Henry. Life can be unbelievably cruel. :(

I remember when my tinnitus was unbelievably loud - like 8-9/10 loud. I could hear it above everything. I had a loud fan running, the TV on, and sound enrichment playing on my phone... nothing covered it. It was all consuming. But, it wasn’t reactive (though it is now), and I didn’t have hyperacusis (though I have that now too).

However, after a few months the volume did fade to a much more manageable level. I don’t know how long you’ve had tinnitus & hyperacusis, but if it’s not for very long, then there is still hope - don’t give up just yet buddy.

We’re all rooting for ya.

Steph
      <3

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    6. Steph1710
      Old hag

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      All these physical problems yet you’re still so kind and helpful to everyone on here.

Bless you. X

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. Steph1710
      Old hag

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      “Not being ready to throw the towel in yet” is a great place to be. Means you’re a fighter, whenever you think/feel it, or not.
      Baby steps all the way! You can do it. Be kind to yourself and take it slowly. Adjusting to the new norm of tinnitus is hard work, but from your post, I have the feeling you will get there just fine.

:)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Steph1710
      Old hag

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antibiotics - I think
      I have to do this with all my conditions. But as humans, we are great at adapting. I feel I have successfully adapted to my shitty body and brain. Gotta ride with what we’ve got hey.

X

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    9. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      I do enjoy life for the most part. Life’s always been a struggle, maybe not as much as for some others here.

• Hug Hug x 5
    10. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      With "only" tinnitus and hyperacusis? Yes, I did still enjoy life to some extend fairly often.

Now with tremors and severe shortness of breath that renders me bedbound most of the time and unable to take walks in nature which was my therapy? No, I don't enjoy life anymore. It's just survival at this point.

• Hug Hug x 8
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. BrOKeN_1

BrOKeN_1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High Frequency Hearing Loss
      Being outside is the best! I can't sit on a couch anymore. Gotta keep moving. It's imperative!

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Shelbylynn
      Depressed

Shelbylynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/lifelong music abuse
      This happened to me! I made a stupid joke (can't even really remember why I said it at the time, as I am not one to usually crack jokes as I am a very sensitive person myself and don't find comedy in teasing-- not my type of humor) about my step dad's tinnitus. Something like "oh it would be interesting to have your own sound in your head- like a personal song" (GIRL NO, It's not.) and then not that long after (maybe a few weeks) I got tinnitus. .___. IF karma was real I definitely got it.

13. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      Anytime I have a setback I strap on the ear defenders and get to work on a project. It always helps.

George

• Like Like x 1
    14. PebblesForNow
      Busy

PebblesForNow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune disease and noise exposure (concert)
      Travis - This is my experience too. My tinnitus began in 2011 after a concert (and my ears were vulnerable due to some issues from my autoimmune condition). It was a 10/10, totally unmaskabke, and it consumed my life every waking (and many non-waking) hour. But it did fade over the course of a year or two. Hang in there!

• Like Like x 1