Clonazepam (Klonopin, Rivotril)

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by erik, May 29, 2012.

1. jacob256

jacob256 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Genuinely believe excessive sexual activity + stress
      This stuff made my tinnitus significantly better within 30 minutes 3 different times (to confirm results) and in the unbearable phase of the tinnitus I used it. However, I dropped it because the long term effects are bad and I'm not a fan of medication (only ever taken Advil). You build up a tolerance to it and you have to take more and more and then if you try to quit years later, it's nearly impossible/causes permanent damage and all sorts of symptoms related to a glutamate overload (the excitatory neurotransmitter). It works by binding to a specific version of your GABA receptors (the calming neurotransmitter that balances out Glutamate) which is why it helps tinnitus. However, I read that it also permanently alters the shape/structure of these receptors over EXTREMELY long term use (like 20 years for example). Short term use (less than a month in normal doses) seems to be fine but the reason it causes tinnitus as a withdrawal symptom is because while you take this, your body becomes adjusted to not producing as much GABA naturally because the medication is binding to the receptors instead. So when you quit, there's a shortage of GABA, which causes the tinnitus.

Honestly, if you're fairly old and your tinnitus really bothers you and is chronic (like you've had it for years and years) this might be a solution if you plan on naturally dying within the next 10/20 years but if you're younger you'll reach the "breaking" point before you're close to the natural end of your life and will have to face the consequences. So whether it's worth it is your choice; we all have our demons to face haha.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    2. Flyingsheep
      Sheepish

Flyingsheep Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      After going on and off .5mg of clonazepam for around 6 weeks (taking one only when I was having a bad day) I think I started developing withdrawal symptoms, and after reading a lot more into the side effects on the internet and this thread, I had to stop completely.

It was strange because it got me out of a really bad week long spike where my mild T went to severe mode. Then things were mostly alright until recently I started getting the same kind of spike again, which led me to taking .5mg for 4 days straight. On the first day of not taking a clonazepam, my tinnitus raged to the stratosphere like never before and I couldn't even function, and my anxiety was the worst I've ever felt in my life. I thought it permanently worsened at that point, and took two weeks of literal hell to finally settle down. It's back to mild like it used to be, thank God, but it still spikes really high temporarily if I wake up in the middle of the night, which used to never happen.

I think what had happened was that I was building a slight tolerance and stopping like that initiated some withdrawals which also worsened tinnitus. Even though it helped so much at first, I never want to take clonazepam again.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hrm, on the last day this was bumped, I was having a motorcycle crash I'm still a bit recovering from. Yay!

Anyway, just chiming in that this fall will mark 3 years since I reinstated klonopin daily along with gabapentin, and I'd say the same thing I did a year ago: the first 2 months were absolutely magical, and then after that the effect was reduced but still makes a fairly night-and-day difference in my happiness, ability to handle life, and amount of time I spend thinking about tinnitus.

I think both of these drugs are relatively dangerous and don't love this situation, but here we are! If some of the bimodal tech hurries up and becomes commercially viable, I will deal with benzo withdrawal. Again, again.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Informative Informative x 3
    4. Carlos1

Carlos1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Root Canal
      @linearb
      I have been on 0.5 mg of Klonopin and 300 mg x2 of Gabapentin for 5 years.

• Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. mrfart

mrfart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/1998
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Saxophone
      I've been on Lorazepam for a long time and am slowly lowering the dosage. I actually take it for anxiety, caused in part because I'm on the spectrum, and very sensitive to noise. Hence the tinnitus. It never worked much for my tinnitus, although it does become much worse when I stop taking it.

Maybe I should talk to my doctor into switching to Clonazepam first?

• Like Like x 1
    6. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have developed a new tinnitus sound, like a melody. The frequency is freaking high and loud... it's totally wired.

I decreased my Clonazepam to 1mg over a period of 12 days two months ago. And at the end of all this the new tinnitus sound occurred.

It sometimes sounds like a broken radio and gets louder and then quieter again...

Anybody have any suggestions or have experienced the same?

Will my tinnitus settle down?

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Pitseleh

Pitseleh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have trouble with Clonazepam too. I'm definitely tolerant to it and whether I try to decrease or maintain it, the tinnitus keeps getting worse.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      For how long did you take Clonazepam? Did your tinnitus improve after tapering down from Clonazepam?

9. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Have you ever tried / heard of Honokiol? Reddit would have me believe it is GABAergic and has cannabinoid activity AND does not induce dependence/withdrawal.

10. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I was going to say I'd never heard of this, but "magnolia" rang a bell so I dug through my mail, and waaaay back in June 2014 I ordered "Magnolia Bark Extract - 20 Grams (0.71 Oz) - 95% Pure Honokiol + Magnolol - FBA" from Amazon. I believe I did some research to try to find a respectable vendor of high quality material, but, I did not have it GC/MS'd myself or anything.

I remember taking it a whole bunch for a couple/few weeks and that it kind of tasted like what cinnamon would taste like to someone who really didn't like the taste of cinnamon. I don't remember what, if any, effects I noted at the time.

It may be that it's GABAergic and has cannabinnoid activity and doesn't induce dependence, but also doesn't do very much subjectively because the impact is so small.

If I still have mine, I might experiment with taking some the next time I feel "bad/jittey/benzo-not-working-well" type feelings, but that goes deep into a rabbit hole of anecdotal, biased experience.

I think the biggest risk is to your wallet, like with most things reddit tries to push :D Just watch out for that delta-8-THC stuff, legal or not, it is nasty.

11. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Clonazepam made my tinnitus way worse. it has improved slightly after being off the drug for twelve months but I am nowhere near healed. Please stay away from this drug, it is only recommended for short term use.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. Ela Stefan

Ela Stefan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection
      For how long did you take Clonazepam?

13. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Sorry to hear Clonazepam made your tinnitus worse and hope it eventually returns to baseline. Clonazepam was a lifesaver for me when my ENT consultant prescribed it in 2010. More details and the difficulties I went through are in the post: My experience with tinnitus, in the link below. It shouldn't be taken too regular and definitely not long term as my doctor advised. She told me that it helps some people with tinnitus and I'm so thankful for this drug because nothing else worked, to reduce the cacophony of noise within my head and ears.

Fortunately, I haven't had a problem with it in ten years and still have it on prescription. I take it once or twice a month now, just for one or two days. Taken only when the tinnitus is severe 2x 0.5 mg tablets, that reduce the tinnitus to a manageable level or complete silence over 12 hours.

Michael

My Experience with Tinnitus | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    14. Star64
      Kick ass

Star64 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I only used it occasionally for a few years, then started using it more regularly over a 6 month period before tolerance set in.

It is well known to cause tinnitus. Please read the Ashton manual.

15. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Is tapering Clonazepam necessary?

Monday: 0.5mg day+ 0.5mg night
      Tuesday: 0.75mg night
      Wednesday: 0.5mg night

So now I want to stop. Do I need to taper?
      @linearb? Anyone?

16. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is best to consult with your doctor. My understanding is when Clonazepam is taken regularly, it's not a good idea to stop abruptly due to side effects, so a gradual tapering is advised. In 2010 my ENT consultant advised, only take Clonazepam when the tinnitus is severe for a number of reasons. Even though it can help some people with tinnitus as in my case, it is also addictive. If taken regularly the body will quickly habituate to it and further increase in dosage is required in order for it to be effective. Unfortunately this can cause addiction with unpleasant side effects.

Fortunately, in the ten years I have been taking Clonazepam just for one or two days at a time I haven't had any problems. I find it immensely helpful in reducing the tinnitus when severe.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    17. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Thank you @Michael Leigh.

I am aware of all that. Basically, as I stated above, I took Clonazepam only for 3 days to "kill" a spike.

So my question was whether it's necessary to taper according to the usage I posted above analytically.

Apart from that I don't use benzos on a regular basis. Only sporadically like you describe.

18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is best to ask your doctor...

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Just did.

It's ok to stop it cold turkey since I took it for only 3 days.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      When in doubt, taper.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    21. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Do you think having been 3 days on Clonazepam warrants tapering?

Would you taper? If so, how?

22. Tomas80

Tomas80 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow. Maybe stress?
      I took Clonazepam for 5 days. Without tapering.

23. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Any side effects?

24. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      For me it does not warrant tapering. I sometimes will take clonazepam for a few days, like you did, and then stop, with no tapering and no side effects.

For what it is worth, my primary care physician who prescribes the clonazepam for me, feels that up to 10 mg per month can be taken relatively safely. I'm guessing some people can tolerate a lot less, and others a lot more, and that there are plenty of alternative medical professional opinions out there, so just for what it is worth, that is sense of my primary care physician, 10 mg per month max.

25. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Thank you @lymebite.

That is very informative. I did call a doctor, in my turn. She reassured me that I can stop the drug safely with no taper, as this was a pretty short-term usage.

What was actually interesting is that she (as an anesthesiologist) suggested to me, in case that Clonazepam helps me, to try take the lowest dose for 15 days (e.g. 0.25mg) and take it 3 times per week. According to its elimination half-life, that could sustain a stable plasma level of the drug with no fluctuations, which is considered desirable.

26. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most people are good up to a week or two but when I was using PRN I usually would still take, like, a half dose day 4, quarter dose day 5, just to have slightly cleaner curves coming back off the drug.

Klonopin is urine detectable for 30 days after a single dose, though, so 3 days of use is more or less self-tapering.

27. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Sounds like very good advice to me, taking the least possible amount that helps.

When I first tried clonazepam, it was prescribed by my ENT, and it was for 0.25 mg. I think it was 0.25 mg at least, it may have been even less, maybe 1/8 mg, my memory fails me, but I remember that the pharmacy had to special order it because the dose size was so small, and the small dose tablets dissolve sublingually instead of swallow like a typical tablet.

While I started with a very small dose, it did not do much for me, and now if I take clonazepam, generally I will take 0.5 mg for a day or two or three. Sometimes I will bump it to 1 mg but I try to stick at the 0.5 mg.

28. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Here as well there are no other tablets, apart from 0.50mg and 2mg dose size. So yes, smaller doses can be tricky to administer. 0.50mg worked for me pretty ok. I think taking 2x0.50mg the first day was absolutely not necessary. I was a bit clumsy with the dosages. For now I will stop. It gave some relief with that spike but I'm planning to use it in a similar way like you (as I have done already in the past, by taking it sporadically on single days).

29. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it's still working, but I keep forgetting.

(This is a joke about benzo side effects).

• Funny Funny x 2
    30. T warrior

T warrior Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      don't have a clue
      Whenever I take 0.5 mg of Ativan, it seems to help.