Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19) and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by ajc, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I had this exchange with a clinical lead consultant yesterday:

B09BBF49-D72D-4603-A4C3-EA70EA20138E.jpeg

Also, my wife is still having some breathing difficulties and remains unwell. Her problems seem to be sinus related, though, and there are signs of some improvement so I think she is likely over the worst of it now, whatever it is. My daughters' temperature is now occasionally becoming a mild fever, but nothing exceptional. I haven’t had any symptoms of anything yet.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Why is a clinical lead consultant talking with you on Whatsapp? Are you friends?

3. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      He is a student of mine and we’re also good friends. I teach many health professionals.

My daughter now has a cough and conjunctivitis, so I took her to get some antibiotic eye drops and while I was there I noticed signs saying that everyone must use the hand sanitising gel. So, I watched to see who would actually follow the orders and I can honestly say that there was only one other person besides myself and my daughter who used it.

My wife had an internal message from the school earlier via her iPad saying that other people from within my wife’s class have also become ill so they are bringing in some kind of protocol. I think it’s a bit late to be doing that now. It was only this morning and a few days back that they were asking her to come back due to the workload! And people wonder why this spreads so fast. Why didn’t the government create some sort of protocol for all schools to follow in the event of people becoming ill? Or why hasn’t the headteacher used some common sense and told those who are presenting with coronavirus symptoms to stay away? It defies belief that those in positions of power seem to have no clue. They were essentially pestering my wife to go back in rather than telling her to stay away.

I guess the pressure of receiving those private pounds means that the head has lost sense of what’s important and rather than implementing a plan of action she has turned a blind eye to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      It seems there could be a strong link to Italy here as it has come to my attention that they sent an entire year on a skiing trip there recently. It wasn’t just the member of staff that went. Apparently, the staff member was coughing when she got back home and my wife was stuck with her for an entire parents’ evening.

How incompetent can they be?

• Agree Agree x 2
    5. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      I think many cases in Europe can be traced back to Italy one way or another, including those with no seemingly direct link (think asymptomatic people & via via unknowing links).

Either way, they're starting to be pretty drastic in parts of my country too now, where they have the most confirmed cases. Despite my own frequent colds and respiratory illnesses I'm not too worried personally as I'm young. It's certain family members I'm more worried about, as they're far more vulnerable than me.

What honestly makes me laugh is people suddenly caring about hygiene and going wild with washing hands and hand sanitizer etc. Washing hands should be common practice whether a virus is going around or not...

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      If we call "don't shake hands" drastic...

Frankly, I think that our government highly underestimates the impact that a disease can have. Not that corona itself worries me, but after seeing how our politicians mess up time and time again due to not understanding the concepts of their fields of responsibility (and blindly ignoring the advices from people who are actually active in the working field), I don't expect that they will understand the decisions they're making in this case.

We'll see how it works out. Maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised.

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. ASilverLight
      In pain

ASilverLight Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise, stress and a neck injury.
      Not actually talking about that, and I didn't mean drastic in a negative sense! Mostly meant that they're really going in hard with precaution - several events (football, concerts, other big gatherings etc) being cancelled for now. Which considering the scale of the infection so far here is a big move, but a very reasonable one.

Talking about the South here btw. Several schools are closed because of the given advice to stay home with a cold etc.

Again, nothing I'm complaining about, I'm glad they're taking action - but they're big either way.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      The first link below is to an article. The second link is to a 13-min. video, which relates the story written about in the first article (plus more information as well). The highlights: A 71-year old chronically ill woman from Wuhan, China was cared for by relatives for many days, before finally being taken to the hospital. It was then that she was successfully treated with IV Vitamin C.

The children did not wear any protective gear while caring for their mother at home, but did take oral Vitamin C during this time. None of them contracted the coronavirus, even though the "normal" preventative measures were not taken. -- Also, doctors streaming to Wuhan to treat infected people are all taking oral Vit. C to help protect themselves.

I. Vitamin C Saves Wuhan Family from COVID-19

II. Daughter‘s Story: family saved from COVID-19 virus with Vit C in Wuhan

There are two reasons Vitamin C is effective for treating viral infections: 1) Vitamin C is converted to hydrogen peroxide in the body, which kills the virus. 2) Vitamin C is a strong antioxidant, which neutralizes the "oxidants" produced by the virus, and which often causes longer lasting lung damage.

The following 6-minute video describes another way on how to get hydrogen peroxide into lungs that may be infected. After reading a remarkable testimonial by a man who was bedbound from chronic Lyme disease for ten years--and then fully recovered from it by using this method--I tried it myself. I noticed it gave me extra energy, but used it at half the strength recommended in the video. (I make my own with 35% percent food grade hydrogen peroxide).

Learn the Right Way To Do Hydrogen Peroxide Inhalation Method for Viruses, COPD, Congestion

Coconut oil is also strongly antiviral:

Can Coconut Oil Kill The Coronavirus?

• Like Like x 1
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      At my place of work, over the past month we have been having a record number of meetings, and we have even more meetings planned over the next month.

• Hug Hug x 2
    10. Jazzer

Jazzer Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Very Best Wishes
      to you and your family Ed
      Dave x

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    11. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      @Ed209
      Praying for a speedy recovery for your loved ones.
      Daniel

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    12. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      My wife is still coughing her guts up and so is my daughter now. There's been a story in our local newspaper today saying that they believe it’s widespread in our city and the official cases don’t reflect the current reality on the ground.

At this point I’m starting to believe that my wife and daughter more than likely have Covid-19.

• Hug Hug x 9
    13. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      View attachment 37153
      Oh, no. I hope and pray they feel better soon, Ed.
      Hope you can dodge it.
      :huganimation:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    14. Gabriel
      Depressed

Gabriel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I focused on verifying if I had tinnitus
      How old is your daughter ?
      I have heard many times that children don't get sick from coronavirus, they are asymptomatic.
      Also, coughing is just a symptom, could be simply bronchitis, or flu, I wouldn't be too worry. Don't they have fever? Cramps? Trouble to breathe?
      And even if they are sick, they are more likely to get cured naturally from it ;)

15. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      Can you get them tested? Thinking of you xx

• Like Like x 1
    16. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I’m not particularly worried, Gabriel. My main concerns are my unborn child (as there is no data on the effects it has in pregnancy) and my elderly parents. My daughter does not appear ill. She is running around and playing as usual but she does have a cough now.

I’ve read a lot about this and it appears children are the most resilient to it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    17. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      There is a testing hub that they have set up because of the outbreak in our city. To get tested, though, you have to get an appointment, and my wife is too ill to leave the house. She has also been told to self-isolate.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    18. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      I'm not worried about my tinnitus and COVID-19.

My wife just started having flu like symptoms this morning, and her doctor wanted her to come in to take the Coronavirus test because she's an at risk individual (MS, taking immunosuppressants).

We are asked to stay isolated until the test results come in.

It's probably just a cold or a flu though, but we'll see...
      I myself don't really have any symptoms except this weird thing with my... chest... I may yet go see my doctor tomorrow also, but will wait for the test results to come back.

Also, Folding@Home is now doing active number crunching to finding compatible drugs to fight COVID-19. If you haven't yet, sign up and let your computer help find a cure.

www.foldingathome.com

• Like Like x 1
    19. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Are there so many cases in your city that they can't go to your house? In my country, where there are still just a dozen of cases, if someone has a valid suspicion of having contracted the virus, we need to call the GP and if the doctor think it's reasonable, ambulance (in hazmat suits looking coveralls) takes them to the appointed central hospital to get "treated" and quarantined. I think this won't be manageable as the number of cases is likely to increase.

This week, schools got closed and any event with more than 100 people got banned. Also travel ban from certain countries is issued.

I really hope that your wife and daughter have a speedy recovery and will feel better soon.

20. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I read a thread where an MD recommended one of these for sick, home quarantines:

https://www.amazon.com/MIBEST-Silver-Color-Finger-Oximeter/dp/B07BNZ2Z41/

If the ox sat starts to drop, then it's time to think about going to the hospital for sure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      There’s no chance of that happening.

22. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma

• Informative Informative x 2
    23. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      It is getting very real in my country! All schools, daycares, libraries etc. are closing down the next two weeks. cafe's/restaurants and bars are urged to also close down (and all of them will probably follow these recommendations)

My workplace is closed the next two weeks also, I am getting anxious at the thought of not having my daily dose of work to distract me.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    24. Ruse
      No Mood

Ruse Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL & TMJ
      Most countries have around 2-3 hospital beds per 1000 people.

There are even less 'free' hospital beds.

The world is categorically not equipped to deal with anything on this scale.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    25. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ed, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be insensitive, if it came across as that, I apologize.

@Bill Bauer
      The linked article states that the original slide didn't give a time frame, so this estimation may be over exaggerated for the next 2 months. Also it's not the AHA's opinion, but the scientist's own.

26. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Not at all. I didn’t interpret anything bad in what you said, I was just saying there’s no chance of someone coming out to our house to test for it.

I suppose whether it is or not is irrelevant as long as it isn’t passed on (in case it is).

27. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      150 confirmed cases and climbing in Australia

First confirmed case in my town of Geelong today.

I see WHO have finally declared this as a pandemic.

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If you are talking about the slide from the American Hospital Association, then it Does say "2 months", see the top-right corner.
      It also seems to be the best case scenario, as it uses 30-40%, instead of the usual 30-70% (which of course might be the figure for a longer time horizon).

29. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Anyone else think Trump has the virus after the speech? Seemed like he had trouble breathing and wanted to cough...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. AVIYT
      Wishful

AVIYT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregabalin
      Yes, Denmark is the 2nd country to do full lockdown. Unfortunately I feel even though Poland's cases are minimal (31 currently) there are talks of quarantine for entire cities (the major ones being Warsaw, Krakow, Wrocław). As of today there are 2 week quarantines in place for all schools, daycares, theatres, cinemas and the larger stores have been cleared out. Poland might just go lockdown mode before we hit 100 cases.