Elon Musk’s Neuralink Looking to Treat Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Jack Straw, Jul 17, 2019.

1. beaker

beaker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise
      Neuralink will absolutely cure tinnitus 100%. It will be able to read the tinnitus signals in the brain the send a cancellation signal. It would be like a light switch turning off. Other potential methods could be to retrain the brain at the neural level itself.

@KoolKat, why such hatred toward Musk? I have followed him intensely for the last 10 years and see no human being doing more to improve humanity. No one even comes close. I feel your statements are coming from a place of absolute wild ignorance on the matter.

- Clean energy will save millions of lives
      - Full autonomous driving will save millions of lives
      - Neuralink will give millions their lives back from everything ranging from mental disease to paralysis
      - SpaceX will take humanity multi-planetary
      - The new Twitter will provide a global public square where everyone has a voice and the truth will never be suppressed again
      - The Teslabot will usher in an era of mass abundance to the level human suffering ends completely!

I could go on.

• Agree x 6
      • Winner x 4
      • Funny x 2
      • Optimistic x 2
      • Like x 1
      • Informative x 1
    2. Jerad

Jerad Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication ototoxicity
      In your opinion, how long will it be until Neuralink cures tinnitus? Musk said 5 years.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. BadNeighbors
      In pain

BadNeighbors Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise/construction
      I appreciate the hopeful view, but most of this sounds too sci-fi and too far off into the future.
      How will this device send a signal to the right part of the brain without zapping the wrong parts? Treatments for Parkinson's require inserting a metal rod with an electrode at the bottom into the brain to target the right spot, how does this disk target the right spot without a metal rod as well? If the goal is to just have a metal rod with an electrode at the end zap the right spot in the brain, this can and will first be achieved without Neuralink (see this).

As for the rest of Musk's accomplishments as an investor, he has done some good things. But, let's remember that he didn't invent the electric car or even found Tesla. Tesla was founded by Martin Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning. And, a lot of their profitable quarters come from selling carbon offsets rather than selling actual things.

Tesla Made More Money Selling Credits and Bitcoin Than Cars

Musk has promised autonomous cars "next year" over and over again. In 2015, he said, "We’re going to end up with complete autonomy, and I think we will have complete autonomy in approximately two years."

Tesla CEO Elon Musk drops his prediction of full autonomous driving from 3 years to just 2

SpaceX will never take humans to be multi-planetary. Instead, it is a great company to get payloads into space for a cheap price. He sells an amazing fantasy, but the real purpose and money making behind this company is much more mundane.

Why Werner Herzog thinks human space colonization “will inevitably fail”

I'm not touching a political/culture war debate on Twitter as it is off-topic and far from anything to do with his ability to invest in technology that materially changes the world.

As for other fantastic promises, the (bad) reinvention of the subway in Vegas is a complete waste of money and far past his usual "false dawns" and his hyperloop is doomed to fail as well.

After years of failure, Elon Musk’s Boring Company claims it will finally test a full-scale Hyperloop this year

Musk seems to be great at raising money and great at spending it (unlike a lot of other rich people that just sit on their money). But much of his success comes from dramatically and overconfidently overselling fantastic stories.

He has used his money to invest in things that may prove to be beneficial and SpaceX's ability to cheaply get stuff into space is amazing, but due to his ability to leap before he looks and make fantastic promises, I don't foresee Neuralink solving our issue before traditional research finds a solution. Especially, since the clinical trials of the deep brain stimulation that build upon the Parkinson's research will be done by 2024.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    4. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I used to be a big fan of his as well. Unfortunately, even though most of what you say is true, he can also be quite the jerk. Remember is "pedoman" comment? And a quite a bit more. I'll be watching closely what he does with Twitter. He may just get me back in his orbit if he handles it well.

But if he gives a Twitter account back to the treasonous man who led an armed insurrection against the peaceful transfer of power in the U.S, then he's lost me for good. Sort of like saying free speech is great (which he claims to be a big advocate of), AND, it's OK to yell fire in a movie theater (even when there is none). That doesn't work for me.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Actually Neuralink is going to use threads directly to the part of the brain so it should be more precise.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. CW Dragon
      Conehead

CW Dragon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Impulse Noise
      I could see it having an effect on the Tensor tympani to reduce loud noises. I could see it being able to disable the audio cortex for complete silence - just that by itself would make it a financial cash cow.

To be honest, I don't mind it having Bluetooth capabilities (non-ionizing radiation) but Bluetooth is much less studied regarding that, so not sure how much danger it could possess situated inside of your brain.

• Like Like x 1
    7. ARN

ARN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Since early memories
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Visual Snow Syndrome (VSS)
      It does in fact change it, it's a neural read and write device and similar to Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS) with the difference that it stimulates the cortex instead of the thalamus (which it also could, theoretically) which also had some pretty encouraging results in completely suppressing tinnitus.

Sure it could stop tinnitus since it's neural firing and Neuralink stimulates the neocortex, while in real time analyzing the neural activity corresponding to tinnitus and thus counteract.

Easy logic.

• Like Like x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. hopes

hopes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have little faith in Neuralink but I would like them test it on volunteers with tinnitus to see if it helps.

Depressing how things progress so slowly.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    9. KoolKat
      Dreaming

KoolKat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone Noise induced ( BEING STUPID)
      And what's even worse is Elon Musk is representing it. This is our livelihood too.

People seem to NOT understand how a person's integrity and character goes a long way when it comes to this. Why only invest in Neuralink and Neuralink alone when your wife suffers from this. Meaning Mr. Musk could easily and I mean easily invest in other things to help get ANY treatment out there for his wife. It could be the Bionics Institute, Dr. Susa Shore, Otonomy, he could resurrect Autifony, etc.

Think about this. Imagine your ex wife suffering with tinnitus, and you think spending billions on a social media platform to stick it to people is the thing to do... Like think how immature one has to be for that mentality. Life is so fragile, and this is what he is doing. Unless in his day to day life he's a completely different person and just playing up a character, I doubt Neuralink will work anyway. Maybe in 2 decades or so.

But like I have been saying, the medical field, the health care system, and our governments need to step it up. We shouldn't depend on a single man for anything.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Funny Funny x 1
    10. DimLeb

DimLeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic Cochleopathy or Maybe Loud Music
      His (now ex) wife wasn't suffering from tinnitus, it was obvious. If you take a look at her social media, you'll see constant touring, loud shows, music production with headphones etc. One time I noticed a post with her exploding shit up with explosives (don't remember if she had earmuffs or so lol). So I guess her tinnitus went away or it's just very mild, but definitely not too much of a problem for her.

• Informative Informative x 3
    11. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      I am wondering if there should be perhaps more care about badmouthing Musk?

Have you considered the possibility that he might check this forum once in a while or someone he knows checks and tells him what us ungrateful sods are saying?

Mr. Musk, if you are reading this; please know that I am absolutely delighted that you are using your resources to research curing my chronic and disabling ailment.

In full sincerity, thank you.

• Agree x 7
      • Funny x 6
      • Like x 3
      • Helpful x 1
      • Friendly x 1
    12. AxEars

AxEars Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If billionaires were swayed by message boards, they would not have the temerity to be wildly successful.

He's not reading this site.

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. CW Dragon
      Conehead

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Impulse Noise
      Interesting. Very interesting. Unless she knows a cure we don't have yet available in public domain or has extremely resilient ears, I don't get how she can keep exposing her ears to noises of mass destruction - even impulse noises my gosh.

I also wonder if Elon did those noisy stunts with her at times and actually caught tinnitus and we just don't know about it - not that I'm wishing tinnitus on anyone, just curious. If there's one man who has the drive to cure tinnitus with the personal affliction of it in his mind every waking hour of the day, it would be him.

14. CRGC
      No Mood

CRGC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNRI/Noise
      If Elon Musk had tinnitus, you best believe there’d already be a cure out now.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 2
    15. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      Nah. Not if he had the garden variety of tinnitus that you need to plug your ears to hear or be in complete silence to hear a tiny ringing.

Severe unmaskable tinnitus would be another matter and he might dedicate some more of his resources to figuring the shit out.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    16. ARN

ARN Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Since early memories
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Visual Snow Syndrome (VSS)
      It's discouraging honestly. Tinnitus is 40 times more underfunded than depression, thus it doesn't have a decent treatment nor cure which will in fact require money.

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. Joey72
      Approved

Joey72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ, neck arthritis, combat.
      Billionaires are sociopathic, narcissistic assholes.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    18. CRGC
      No Mood

CRGC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SNRI/Noise
      We're all talking out of our asses here, but the vibe I get from Musk tells me he'd be quite affected even by mild tinnitus. Guy seems like quite the perfectionist/OCD type.

• Agree Agree x 4
    19. BadNeighbors
      In pain

BadNeighbors Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise/construction
      I looked in to the Neuralink a bit more. I see that the device has all sorts of little wires that are inserted into the brain that have the potential to send out electrical signals.

This gives me a bit more faith and it would be nice to think that real purpose of Neuralink is to help those who are paralyzed communicate with machines and reduce the effects of specific brain disorders by sending signals to the right part of the brain. This seems a bit more reasonable as it has already been done.

And, it makes me think that the whole saving memories, seeing infrared, restoring movement to those who are paralyzed is the science fiction fantasy that he is selling to attract attention rather than the actual goal of the product.

For our issues, I'd like to understand a little more how the little wires send signals, how this would affect battery life compared to just reading signals, and I really wonder who would be able have one of these devices in their brain (or behind the ear as originally planned). Can someone live an active lifestyle with one of these things? Could someone go bungee jumping or do gymnastics? Or would the wires and chips completely destroy your brain with all this intense movement? Would this be reserved only for those that have 10/10 tinnitus? Or would doctors recommend it for young people with 4/10 or 6/10?

Overall, I'm putting my hopes in Dr. Shore's device as I'd much prefer to externally get zapped on a nerve that leads up to the right part of the brain for 30 minutes while listening to noise every other day than have this thing implanted in my head and risk internal injury.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    20. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      Perhaps that's a reason why he's wanting a cure?

He is obviously well aware of the affliction and maybe wants an effective cure ready in case he gets tinnitus himself?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      He has autism.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    22. Jerad

Jerad Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication ototoxicity
      Is that you, planet Jupiter? Could you please throw yourself out of orbit and come hurling toward Earth? You could solve this problem for us once and for all. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
    23. KoolKat
      Dreaming

KoolKat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone Noise induced ( BEING STUPID)
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    24. @dam

@dam Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely noise
      Thought experiment:
      If tomorrow, you could get Neuralink installed, that completely stopped your tinnitus for $10,000, would you do it?

• Like Like x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
    25. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Give me a list of the side effects first, but I'd be there waiting at the door at 8 am.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      YES.

• Like Like x 1
    27. Lins12

Lins12 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Wax / Infection
      Here's the link to yesterday's "show and tell" update, if anyone is interested:

Neuralink Show and Tell, Fall 2022

28. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Lol if it stopped my pain hyperacusis, I would sell my soul to the devil.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    29. Strawberryblonde
      Chowing

Strawberryblonde Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (6/12/2015) mild-mod (3/5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      HEADPHONES/TMJ/ETD/SINUSES/AMITRIPTYLINE one of them???
      I'd get myself into debt if it stopped the tinnitus in its tracks and I get to experience silence again.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    30. CW Dragon
      Conehead

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Impulse Noise
      LOL, yes easily. Throw in perfect hearing and I'll be indebted to the man for life.
      Maybe this Neuralink can block the pain signals from the ear, or anywhere selected. Maybe even give everyone the ability to have CIP, the congenital insensitivity to pain.

• Like Like x 1