Friend Committed Suicide Because of Her Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by SawamAUS, Aug 19, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. SawamAUS

SawamAUS Member

Brisbane, Australia
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't have it
      I found out today one of my long time best friends has taken their life last week.

I hadn't been in touch with her for a while, our paths separated a little when we moved to a different city.

Her husband knew we were close and wanted to let me know.

She had left a note for her family & friends on her bedside table.

I don't know what it is like to have unremitting squealing in your head but she couldn't take it anymore. I knew from past conversations with her how she struggled but I never took her for someone who could do this to themselves.

Are there any others here whose friend or family member have taken their lives because of this sickness?
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tucson, AZ
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Bless her and her family. I hate our government. As they're taking the right to use medical marijuana they just made a bill for 7,000,000 to study marijuana for medicine. There attempt to find a cure or a relief for tinnitus is lame and selfish. Greatest country yea sure.
    3. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      Another one gone:(
      Yet nobody takes this condition serious enough!
      • Agree Agree x 4
    4. Tamika
      No Mood

Tamika Member Benefactor Team Awareness

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One loud indoor concert
      I'm so sorry for your loss. Tinnitus can be absolute torture. The constant screaming, lack of sleep and emotional turmoil can wear down even the strongest willed person who normally loves life and would never think of harming themselves. I wonder how many people with T give up but its not recorded as T, because it will just be put down to depression or anxiety rather than the underlying T.
      • Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 1
    5. glynis-harbron

glynis-harbron Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Ambassador Team Awareness Team Research

England, Stoke-on-Trent
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Sorry to hear about your friend and our thoughts are with you and her family.
      Hope a cure is found for this disabilitating condition .....lots of love glynis
    6. Dave AUS

Dave AUS Member Benefactor

Adelaide, Australia
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      If @SawamAUS didn't post this, us people living in Australia would never have heard of this tragic suicide and the real cause of doing so. Thank you for making us aware and you too @Tamika.

The majority of suicides due to tinnitus I suggest are not recorded nor known with any tinnitus online community. A lot of these would be older folk too that don't use technology. I assume this poor constantly tortured person was not a member of any online tinnitus forum. I can only hope she passed peacefully and without pain.

Sadly I bet all the money in the world that the Australian government did not put down the cause of her suicide to tinnitus but rather 'declining mental health' or some other shit. You suck Australian Government Heath Department but let's have a plebiscite on gay marriage costing AUD$160 million next year......... My head can only shake at disbelieve and annoyance at your priorities and what to spend our tax payer money on. I would assume I would have Americans and British agreeing with me here.
      • Agree Agree x 3