Friend Committed Suicide Because of Her Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by SawamAUS, Aug 19, 2016.

1. SawamAUS

SawamAUS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't have it
      I found out today one of my long time best friends has taken their life last week.

I hadn't been in touch with her for a while, our paths separated a little when we moved to a different city.

Her husband knew we were close and wanted to let me know.

She had left a note for her family & friends on her bedside table.

I don't know what it is like to have unremitting squealing in your head but she couldn't take it anymore. I knew from past conversations with her how she struggled but I never took her for someone who could do this to themselves.

Are there any others here whose friend or family member have taken their lives because of this sickness?

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Bless her and her family. I hate our government. As they're taking the right to use medical marijuana they just made a bill for 7,000,000 to study marijuana for medicine. There attempt to find a cure or a relief for tinnitus is lame and selfish. Greatest country yea sure.

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    3. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Another one gone:(
      Yet nobody takes this condition serious enough!

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Tamika
      No Mood

Tamika Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One loud indoor concert
      I'm so sorry for your loss. Tinnitus can be absolute torture. The constant screaming, lack of sleep and emotional turmoil can wear down even the strongest willed person who normally loves life and would never think of harming themselves. I wonder how many people with T give up but its not recorded as T, because it will just be put down to depression or anxiety rather than the underlying T.

• Agree Agree x 11
      • Like Like x 1
    5. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Sorry to hear about your friend and our thoughts are with you and her family.
      Hope a cure is found for this disabilitating condition .....lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 2
    6. Dave AUS
      Depressed

Dave AUS Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too Loud Indoor Rock Concert
      If @SawamAUS didn't post this, us people living in Australia would never have heard of this tragic suicide and the real cause of doing so. Thank you for making us aware and you too @Tamika.

The majority of suicides due to tinnitus I suggest are not recorded nor known with any tinnitus online community. A lot of these would be older folk too that don't use technology. I assume this poor constantly tortured person was not a member of any online tinnitus forum. I can only hope she passed peacefully and without pain.

Sadly I bet all the money in the world that the Australian government did not put down the cause of her suicide to tinnitus but rather 'declining mental health' or some other shit. You suck Australian Government Heath Department but let's have a plebiscite on gay marriage costing AUD$160 million next year......... My head can only shake at disbelieve and annoyance at your priorities and what to spend our tax payer money on. I would assume I would have Americans and British agreeing with me here.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      What the hell is it about tinnitus that makes people who don't have it so dumb? I swear I feel like ever since onset, I have stepped into an alternate reality where people just don't use common sense. T is a huge elephant in our world that everyone just ignores. Ugh...it makes me so angry!

• Agree Agree x 3
    8. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi @SawamAUS, I am sorry for your loss.

People who do not have it often cannot understand it as they have no frame of reference. They cannot understand the psychological torture that this puts one through.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      It all boils down to having empathy.
      Tinnitus is a horrible thing and I'd love to see more public awareness...

• Agree Agree x 4
    10. JodieStephens

JodieStephens Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm sorry for your loss, she a loss to us all. I'm scared right now. Literally.

11. MBH

MBH Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Overloaded stress
      Sorry for your loss, there is no common knowledge of it or anything, I never heard of it until I got it, went to all the docs for them to say nothing is crazy or offer anything. I related mine to dental work docs all said no .

12. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      Sorry for your loss...not that i know of and i have an uncle who has had it for at least 30 years but he suffered in silence never telling a soul until i got it. He has lived a great life. Has 3 kids and grandkids and is 70 years young. I will say having this forum has been very helpful to me and I dont know how I would have dealt with this condition without it. Its great to have people that you can relate with. I carry on with my life everyday trying to enjoy it as best as possible. I wont let this demon ruin the life i have worked so hard to build. It sucks but I am always grateful that i am alive.

13. butterfly75
      No Mood

butterfly75 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I remember reading this a while ago. It still makes me so sad to hear. May she rest in peace.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Anima

Anima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma/metronidazole+kanamycin
      I’m so sorry about your friend. Please, accept my condolences.

It’s painful, but we have to accept and respect that when suffering is unbearable it’s time to say goodbye if you can’t go on living anymore. I understand very well what she did. Life is wonderful if you can fully enjoy it, but when all you get is pain, what do you want your life for? She is now gone, finally she decided drastically stopher agony. She is now resting peacefully. This should never had happened. I wonder, until when?

• Agree Agree x 2
    15. Anima

Anima Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma/metronidazole+kanamycin
      You can also assume that Spaniards agree with you here.