Hearing Protection and Tinnitus: Keep The Tiny Hair Cells Safe — Discuss!

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Markku, Mar 5, 2011.

1. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Markku - you had recommended hearos ear plugs while back ..thank you ..they are amazing !

2. aka

aka Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2011
      Hi Sameer-
      I don't understand exactly what you mean by first putting in the foam and then silicon ear plugs - but I really want to! I need to get some high quality earplugs (that I can afford - lower than $50US) because I occasionally have to be around live music for work. Also, if anyone else has any opinion, please share! From reading this thread it sounds like the consensus is the ER-20's? Or are Ear Peace better? I *really* appreciate any feedback. I was around loud music for about half an hour a couple months ago with foam plugs in, and my T spiked and hasn't gone back down yet (I fear it's permanent). What's the very best?

3. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Just gonna put this out there... I got the earasers earplugs today and there
      Horrible... Guess i should have looked more into them before spendin 40 dollars but they only have a nnr rating of 5 and go up to 19 but how do i kno when its gonna be at 19? I wont so these were a waste of money! Guess they will be okay for louder music at
      My house and some restaurants but thats prob it.... On to the next!

4. Dave D
      Studious

Dave D Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Does anyone have any suggestions for earplugs for someone who plays quite a lot of gigs (which are pretty loud)?

5. Ryan W
      Frustrated

Ryan W Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure I think
      Hi markku am 25 and have severe t, though am usually exposed to loud noises unexpected lol I wear earmuffs if and when I can and at work etc but I still enjoy a odd nite out clubbing or something to help with the depression side of it , what is the highest db in earplug could I go 4. ? And could it still make my t permantely worse even with them if I have the odd nite out? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks Ryan

6. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

I bought two kinds of expensive plugs: 33 db (130 euro) and the elacin mucisians 15 db. (160 euro). Now i'm protected for the next couple of years for almost every situation :D

7. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Hey what is the 33 db ones you got.. Are they foam ones? Having a hard time finding a strong earplug.

8. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

Nu custom made. Sillicon I think.

9. Boxdra

Boxdra Member

Difference between elacin custom music and ACS pro 17

I was looking into custom earplugs, and most are pretty simular. Anyone experience with ACS? In was wondering what the difference is between these earplugs.

From pictures it looks like the ACS ones are smaller and draw less attention. How is the quality?

10. Rog

Rog Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      Hi friends ,

Can someone give me some advice where and what ear plugs with a good quality I could find?

Many thanks !

11. jazz
      No Mood

jazz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      eardrum rupture from virus; barotrauma from ETD
      @Rog

Hello!

I use Etymotic, listed below, and they are fine; but they are not as good as custom made ear plugs.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0044DEESS/?tag=tinntalk-20

These ear plugs come in blue and white. Blue is for small ear canals; white is for medium.

Of course, if you donate to the TN campaign at the $85 level, you'll get a great pair of EarPeace earplugs, and, of course, help with making the website a reality!:)

I'm waiting for my pair of EarPeace ear plugs!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/...supportive-inclusive-community-driven#pledges

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. MikeA
      Musical

MikeA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Happy to have supported the cause, but I doubt I'll ever use those plugs. Unlikely I'll ever go to any loud events again, and if I should, using those which are rated at 10 dB NNR just wouldn't be a wise move for someone with noise-induced sensorineurial hearing loss and T. I may consider an event that's less than 100 dB but only with protection exceeding 30 dB attenuation. Thus, hoping I can tolerate the occasional 70 dB now and then. Interesting how between about 80-85 dB (event ~105 - 25 plugs) for 90 minutes recently resulted in a T increase for me. Don't play with the fire.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Hey guys so i bought 3m classic ear
      Plugs and there really amazing.. They cut down by 29 db and ive been having alot of trouble finding foam plugs that fit my ears cause there small.. But after getting these they fit perfect and i tested them out.. My dad was blaring his sterio and when i had them in and it made the music sound like nothing.. I got a wedding tommorrow so i think they will really work great for it! My only question is i push them in as far as they can go.. Is this bad like am i gonna damage anything? Cause if i dont push them all the way in they slide back out and then dont provide all the protection.

14. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      @Grace - Greetings. Hope you are well! I would say custom ear plugs fitted *if you're moving around and dancing and you're using the foam ones...just make sure they get in there stay there. I play in a wedding band and have learned to deal with this every weekend.(I do use 25 db custom made musicians plugs) I also notice when I yawn it changes my ear muscles and I hear the sound peak in for a few milliseconds. Maybe at the wedding reception you could set a timer and go rest your ears for 15 min every 45 minutes Or an hour. Hope u have a blast . I am sure your ears will be fine as long as you keep them plugged !

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Aww thanks for the advice!! I actually missed that wedding cause i had to have surgery for an unexpected thing that had nothing to do with my ears that ofcorse would happen on my sis wedding day :-( but im all good now..actually went to my first karaokee in a bar over the weekend and used foam ones and had them in damn good but i notice when i yawned or burped the sound would creep in also! Lol deff gonna get custom ones soonish tho!

16. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      These past months I've been using earplugs while being exposed to louder sounds and while being in heavy traffic (damn busses and trucks everywhere).
      I have yet to find out the best way for this daily protection, as I find the earplugs to push in ear wax, which to my understanding can cause further trouble.
      What is the best way to go about daily protection? I've considered some of those Bose noisecancellation headphones, but do they actually protect your hearing, or just cancel out sound by adding on even more sound?
      As in some random 100db+ sound around you will just get 'countered by them adding another 100db sound?

17. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      I would not use plugs in every day life - yes the traffic might be too noisy but you are still at the risk of getting hyperacousis. In fact in Tallinn we have DB meters next to high ways and even when there is a lot of traffic it never exceeds 75-80 db, maybe a little over 80 when trucks are passing by. (The meter counts anything over 75 dangerous). I myself only use plugs when travelling by bus for several hours - the buses tend to be loud.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      Im going to a festival ..Not a music festival but like theres this outside event that has wine tasting and actors walkin around and tiny shows they put on.. And shops and stuff..Anyways i know theres tons of people walkin around but idk if i should wear earplugs?? I dont recall it being extremely loud.. Just mostly peoples voices all day and crowds.. I guess if we see a show or something then pop them in?? I guess if i dont have to raise my voice for a friend to hear me it should be safe right? And also is it okay to wear earplugs for 4+ hours? Like foam ones? I always get scared there like gonna infect my ear or something... And also i put them in real good so there like tight and after awhile get uncomfortable.. Is that doin damage if they feel uncomfortable or is that normal and its just from havin them in a while.

19. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      @Stina I see, h is definitely a concern (my Bad ttts I've had since january is finally starting to improve though cheers). It's mostly because the road I take is flocked by busses, as a cyclist you're pretty much placed right next to one at all times on your way. Not just it letting out steam is insanely loud, you have to wait for redlights next to their motors constantly, and accelerate driving next to it as it accelerates. Add to that the roadwork here and there :/
      As I arrive to town there is even greater roadwork and drilling being done in the center of the city T_T
      100dB drills at the entrance of the center trainstation. I do find noise cancellation headset to be excessive, it's just with the current state of all the above mentioned, a person without t/hearing problems should protect themselves constantly in the same environment?

20. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Its true but I think H is even worse than T. I have to say though that I walk and have to use my ingers quite often so I see why its a problem. Maybe just try to find routes that are not so close to the road or wear a hat, or perhaps just wear earbuds without listening to music - that should block smth out. Or wear plugs every other day.

21. Tenna
      Anime

Tenna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Definitely agree, t is pretty amazingly bad, paired with h words cannot describe it.
      Btw I went to town yesterday and tried minimizing my use of earplugs, and was it not a lawnmower, someone was cutting a bush with those loud sawthingies, was it not a noise streetcleaner, someone was drilling the ground,
      was it not a bus/truck, it was handymen sandpolishing. All of the above including many others were there at every street several times -.-..
      I'll keep the earplug use limited I just don't see any other solution than using them constantly

22. Dale

Dale Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2006
      Hello, I'm Dale and my ears have been making noise since June 2006. (Hi Dale!).
      I have to work in a large room with high ceilings and hard surfaces everywhere. This room has HORRID acoustics, and when people start talking, the reverberations create a wall of noise. I can scarcely hear myself speak.

There is nothing I can do about this room--it is in a historic building and the bureucrats are NOT going to make or allow any changes. I am beginning to lose hearing in one ear because of the noise in this room.

Do any of you have a recommendation for earplugs that will cut out the echoes? I need to be able to converse with a person sitting across the table from me (approximately 3 feet). I have tried my usual musicians earplugs (Etymotic brand), but while they reduce the volume of the noise, they don't really do the trick for getting rid of the echoes/reverberations.

Thanks,
      Dale

23. Grace
      No Mood

Grace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/14/2013
      3m classic foam earplugs-- cuts out 29 db.. I wear these to any louder event, bar, even to work when i knew i had to use power equipment to clean with a vaccum or power washer.. They stay in really good too for me.. Also i find that these allow you to hear someone talking right infront of you so clear even when theres loud noise in the backround.. They will be screamin at me over the noise and ill talk normal cause it cuts down so well then they will scream again and tell me to talk louder cause they cant hear me lol i hear great tho.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. Dale

Dale Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2006
      I apologize if I am hijacking this thread--I posted in the "introductions" forum and my post got move here. Since I'm here though, my problem with the room in which I work is that one of my ears feels like it is stuffed with cotton after about 6 hours. After looking around this forum a bit, I have become a little concerned that using ear plugs 8 hours a day, 3 days a week might put me at increased risk of hyperacusis. Any suggestions? Is this one I need to take to an audiologist? I've gotten used to my tinnitus, deafness is a something I REALLY want to avoid; hyperacusis is something I haven't heard of before, but sounds like something I also REALLY want to avoid.

Any suggestions? I just want to be able to converse in an echoey room without making matter worse.

25. Dale

Dale Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2006
      Have any of you tried Surefire Sonic Defenders for hearing protection? Do they provide enough protection?

26. Codaz

Codaz Member

Dale, hyperacusis is shit. I would rather have T over my H. I'm going to measure myself some custom made earplugs.

27. Ilija
      Breezy

Ilija Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud gig/year of loud headphone usage.
      Ok So I will most likely be going to another gig 25th of October, I plan on using earplugs but I'm wondering if mine will be enough.
      Also is sound protection the only thing, what about bass or vibrations.
      Last time I was somewhat close to the speakers unintentionally so my head hurt for a week or more, also I don't know if it's the nose drops or it was the gig but now when I put my ear on a pillow I hear a really really faint ring, I had it but it went away after the gig it went back but it's going away now.
      Actually the chances of me attending this gig have just drop considerably due to common sense, but still I want to have good earplugs just in-case not for gigs but as protection overall.
      These are the ones I currently have, if I put em' in right it feels like a pressure in my ears and I think sounds go down a lot, when I was at a gig it was maybe 100dB but it sounded like 70-80 I think my ears have the faint pillow ring coming back temporary was due to vibrations.
      Are there earplugs that can protect me completely from vibrations,noise,bass if so please name them.
      joop.jpg
      The one's I'm currently using

28. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Custom fit musician ear plugs are the best thing for going out to gigs. They are expensive but you can't really rely on cheap ear plugs that don't fit the ear properly.

Most popular brands are Etymotic and ACS, both come with interchangeable filters. The Etymotic plugs offer filters that offer up to 25db of attenuation, while ACS offer 27db filters. You can also get a custom fit solid fill style ear plugs that offer over 30db of attenuation.

You can't really do much to protect yourself from huge subs though, just position yourself away from speaker stacks and take regular breaks. Sticking around the back of the club is usually a good move.

In the meanwhile you can grab something like http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20-buynow.html

29. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I'm with @yonkapin if the gigs not two hours long . But after speaking with a prestigious audiologist on the subject of custom-made plugs he informed me that he spoke with ETY and they actually have some unpublished results on the actual attenuation levels of their filters which are different from what they have listed on their site. I love my ETY plugs but I would say foam gives you more isolation.
      See my thread "in ear monitors vs musicians plugs"

30. Codaz

Codaz Member

Anyone has plugs for swimming? I got myself an otitis media externa that started the T, together with TMJ. So I hope I can do some swimming again in the future with plugs.