Hough Ear Institute's Hair Cell Regeneration Project

Discussion in 'Research News' started by all to gain, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Piney

Piney Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shingles virus
      • Like Like x 8
    2. Mica Rambin

Mica Rambin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL
      • Like Like x 3
    3. SD7
      Angry

SD7 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Mid /June 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Vaccine + Noise
      How incredible would this be. Eat a pill, see ya later tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Like Like x 1
    4. ploughna

ploughna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      motor racing and power tools
      They say they need to raise $125K to move this forward to Phase II? That's a drop in the bucket in the bigger scheme of things and should be no problem to raise instantly if their drug held any promise and they had any confidence in it at all.

Something doesn't pass the sniff test in my view.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    5. Joeseph Stope
      Innocent

Joeseph Stope Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise? infection? negative stress? other?
      Duh... Tell 'em: "Sell the pill to Otonomy, Audion or Frequency Therapeutics for $125K dollars. They might use the ideas behind it or find them useful."

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    6. Gb3

Gb3 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Freaking Bezos spending a half billion dollars for a rocket carnival ride to kinda in space, while people need help. All that money could have been used for good instead of some billionaire getting his rocks off.

• Agree Agree x 14
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. Coleoptere
      Alone

Coleoptere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bell's Palsy, hearing loss
      The hearing loss pill consists of NHP-07 and NAC. NHP-07 has already been tested for safety in previous trials, NAC is over the counter so why do we need so many years of trials for NHPN-1010? This system is rotten.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
    8. Aleksandar

Aleksandar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Covid19
      It is a cruel world in which one lives, man is insignificant in it.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Exactly, all these billionaires doing pointless shit where all they have to do is donate a million and we can all get our lives back.

If any of these guys were smart, they'd purchase a part of the company or invest.

We all know if you were a part of the company that made a tinnitus or hearing loss cure, you would make an insane amount of money while helping people.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 3
    10. Diesel

Diesel Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      20+ Years of Live Music, Motorcycles, and Power Tools
      The problem is, they're already stupidly, unfathomably rich beyond any normal comprehension from the investments they've made in their own companies. So rich that they can bootstrap the majority of a private space program for at least a decade!

So, why bother investing chump change into a hearing loss drug that may/may not pay off for years, and when it does, is like a rounding error in their bank account?

Also, Space is super sexy and attention/imagination grabbing while restoring hearing is not. Unfortunately.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. tommyd87

tommyd87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      tmj music
      See so this is the same issue that Hough Ear Institute has had throughout their research processes. Pretty positive that the theory is that no matter how good their work might be, they have failed to clearly communicate components of their funding/fundraising methods. This has left people somewhat confused and concerned with where/what the money would be utilised on.

To date Hough Ear Institute has not adequately explained the following:

1. Why donations for hearing loss cannot be used towards their tinnitus medicine when it is inevitably also treating hearing loss.

2. Which parties are going to benefit from the sales of this medicine.

3. The reason(s) why they need funding from the public and donors towards development of this treatment when it appears on face value that there's two pharma companies who own rights to this treatment if it is successful.

4. What they need the current gap in their funding for.

5. What potentially will be given to donors in exchange for donating.

Simply until these (and possibly other) matters are answered, a lot of people are still going to have queries and concerns about what they are doing as an entity. Essentially the biggest issue with Hough Ear Institute has been the lack of communication from them about these type of key issues and this has been further compounded by the fact that when pressed or queried on such things they seem to either avoid answering them or provide vague answers.

The end result is that Hough Ear Institute presently reminds me of a car for sale which won't start and the owner can't tell you why. Fix the problem or give answers and it is almost certain that people will be more willing to entertain what is actually being offered.

• Agree Agree x 2
    12. Brian Newman

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      True, you're right man :( We gotta raise the money, there has to be a few millionaires suffering from tinnitus and hyperacusis. There has to be.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      No man! What we have to do, is invest in, and create a pair of, SPACE HEADPHONES!! that these rich dudes can wear and use on a daily basis... then we'll see the funding rolling in... :sneaky:

• Like Like x 2
    14. Brian Newman

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Lmaooooooo Ikr.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      To elucidate the spirit of this post further, Elon Musk wants maximum attention and engineering credit for his successes. He probably cares more about that than money, although, they are deeply interconnected.

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    16. star-affinity
      Wishful

star-affinity Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1993, increase in 2020, then new in 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure about the first. Too many beers? Music during sleep.
      I guess you're right, but while I'm with people and their fascination for space I think hearing and especially music that "gets to your mind" is one of the most awesome experiences one can have as a human being – I think many (most?) people agree on that. So "fixing" or improving this is something that means the world (and space?) to people.

My tears ran when I listened to a couple of songs I like post high frequency hearing-loss loss and accompanying tinnitus – not the same nuance in the high frequencies. :(

Fixing this and hopefully in the same time getting rid of tinnitus associated with the hearing- should be concidered sexy indeed! :)

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    17. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      I was hoping the music industry would get involved at a certain point. They seem to go hand and hand...

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    18. Foamearplugssuck
      Angry

Foamearplugssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/26/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doing concert photography
      This is something I've wondered too. Soooo many artists have tinnitus, yet very few speak out about it. And when they do, it's usually because it's too severe for them to continue making music.

I'm also confused as to how more people in the music industry don't have hyperacusis? Especially since people continue to wear headphones, go to shows, etc., after developing tinnitus. It makes me feel crazy because I've done nothing but protect my ears, avoid headphones, listen on monitors at safe volumes, and my tinnitus is getting worse.

• Agree Agree x 7
    19. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      One of life's greatest mysteries.

20. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      They embrace the suck until they can't. I read of a guy who now has hearing distortion finally and he can't really do crowds anymore.

21. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Everyone's hearing is different and will degrade at different rates. Bad genes and a few rock concerts and here I am... Some people with good genes can hit thousands of rock concerts and have no issues. Eventually we all get older and will feel it eventually. Most people don't care until they get it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    22. NewLionel

NewLionel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      headphones
      Isn’t it suspected that it is neck and/or jaw injury/dysfunction that creates the environment for hyperacusis? Others without this condition just get hearing loss

There is an article in the hyperacusis section about it. I personally think the theory might be correct.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Ehren M
      Nerdy

Ehren M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/24/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      That didn't seem to be the case for me. My sensation of hyperacusis is definitely fading now after 6 months since it set in, following exposure to loud sound that also resulted in tinnitus. Seems only sound-induced, plus whatever stress I was under at that time (pre-COVID-19-vaccine, pandemic, early career scientist, what's there to be stressed about?).

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    24. RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      When I first got tinnitus, I got hyperacusis to go along with it. The stress of having tinnitus was too much for me. Lots of anxiety... That will cause hyperacusis as well. As I got used the the tinnitus, the hyperacusis slowly went away.

My daughter has lots of anxiety and has hyperacusis to go along with it. She has little to no hearing loss. The theory is you feel anxiety and your body turns up the senses so you can hear the danger better. I guess it was useful for hearing predators a long long time ago. If your hyperacusis is the result of this, it will go away in time if you can get your anxiety under control. If it is due to neck/jaw issues, it probably won't.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    25. Mica Rambin

Mica Rambin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL
      Last time I spoke with Justin from Hough Ear Institute he told me they think that their pill will help with reducing inflammation of the inner ear as well as tinnitus. I hope HEI gets their act together for this pill. We’ll see soon if they are telling the truth.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    26. Rudedog205

Rudedog205 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure? Possible concussion? Covid Vaccine? TMJ?
      You know I really think this is true for some people. I was told by the ENT that diagnosed my TMJ that my hyperacusis is likely related to my TMJ which was present when I got tinnitus and she said that a noise trauma can trigger these symptoms when TMJ is present but they can improve when it is treated. She said something about most ear pain especially in young people not being related to the ears and that TMJ also had a tendency to cause nerve inflammation and irritation in the ears therefore contributing to hyperacusis to some degree.

It turned out my chiropractor has a lot of experience treating TMJ and as soon as I started getting that treated by him along with my neck it took some off the edge of my hyperacusis although it didn't cure it by any means. It also made my ear pain a little less intense although it is still very much present.

• Informative Informative x 4
    27. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Who would have thunk it? Hough Ear Institute has been discovered by Dr. Cliff.

The Hearing Loss Pill (NHPN-1010) | A New Cure...

• Like Like x 4
    28. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      • Like Like x 6
      • Informative Informative x 6
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    29. Cernuto
      Spaced

Cernuto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      This looks like big news to me. Why isn't this news getting more attention?

• Good Question Good Question x 4
    30. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      OMG. This is a big deal, right? Do we know whether this is supposed to be a single round of treatments or something that we’d have to take on an ongoing basis?

• Good Question Good Question x 3