How Do You Maintain a Career with Moderate and Severe Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by GBB, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Zugzug good God... I’m sorry.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    2. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      Completely agree. My disease involvement in my inner ear came on suddenly. It's like walking down the street and getting shot and killed. Totally unexpected; life ruined. It scares me a little bit how little I cry these days. I used to cry all the time, back in the day when I had more hope and felt it being taken away. Now the hope is just gone and I don't know what to expect. I'm sorry if this is gloomy. I have a really rare disease so this is unlikely to be the case for others. Most improve with time.

• Hug Hug x 8
    3. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @Zugzug I hope things get better for you. I’ve been a miserable basket case for 8 months. October 1st will be 8 months. I can’t believe this is my life!! I’m normally so social, outgoing, fun. Now I’m just a lunatic who cries every day over the ringing in her ears. I have not habituated AT ALL. I still hate it as much as I did since it started.

• Hug Hug x 5
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      I feel the same - hoping it just ruins my year and not my life. I feel like even if my condition improves I'll be looking over my shoulder forever, unless there is a clear remedy for acoustic trauma tinnitus, but I suppose that is another day's problem (I hope), for now I am just taking it one day at a time.

• Hug Hug x 4
    5. Tara Lyons

Tara Lyons Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @GBB yea I’ll forever be traumatized. I’ll never be the same after this. It will improve, don’t worry.

• Agree Agree x 2
    6. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      That’s the same with me as well. Even if I do recover from this I would be scarred for life. I never knew noise damage could lead to a life of tinnitus and hyperacusis. We didn’t realise being in those types of environments would cause us these issues.

If I get another chance, next time if I am in those environments again I’ll definitely be wearing earplugs, no questions asked.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. n_li808
      Irritated

n_li808 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      aug 20, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      most likely from acoustic shock/trauma
      Omg I’m at this point... I thought I was getting better I was getting good days and then... just last night, I got hit with what I experienced when I first got it... it’s consuming me all over again and I hope it goes down :(

How much did it fluctuate with you? I swear I had almost a week of reduced tinnitus and then it hit me full blast again. Hoping it doesn’t stay like this.

• Hug Hug x 3
    8. Fleegle
      Doubtful

Fleegle Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This. All of this. This is what I do.

I have been tracking this thing for 3 years. Writing every day how I am doing for the day. Rating my tinnitus, my TMJ, my headaches, and facial pain. Looking for a cause. Getting a good day between eons of not so good. Thinking I have cured myself, only to be reminded again, and again.

Rinse. Repeat.

There is no support where I live. I wish there was.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      It stayed rigidly the same at about a 5/10 for months. The summer brought crickets and open windows which made ignoring the tinnitus much easier so I did my best to not pay attention to it. Then at about the 9 month mark it seemed to have legitimately lowered to about a 2.5-3. Hard to say for sure because I've conditioned myself to not track it. Fuck, probably just jinxed myself, lol.

10. n_li808
      Irritated

n_li808 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      aug 20, 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      most likely from acoustic shock/trauma
      @Tweedleman how long did you have it for?? It’s so hard for me to ignore... I’m constantly checking it.

11. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      Tara, as will you IMPROVE! My life has been up and down. Every time my tinnitus spikes it is hell for 12-18 months. I have always habituated. I'm currently in a spike. I pray for a better treatment or cure. G-d bless, hang in there.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    12. Johan001

Johan001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hi all,

Reviving this thread. I started a new job two weeks ago (same job as I was doing before tinnitus - I work in the IT). So far it's been good, I seem to be able to do what's required from me, although yesterday I suffered with a number of panic attacks and crying outbursts during the day and today is very difficult too. I seem to be doing ok when I do autonomous tasks, but Zoom meetings (I use speakers) are a struggle for concentration. I'm not getting stress from my employer, although I'm terrified at the though of going to the office in my current condition.

@Ken219 is very motivating, I'm trying to convince myself that I'll be alright despite my severe multitonal tinnitus.

I believe I really need some encouragement from people with severe tinnitus who are still keeping their jobs.

@GBB I saw you turned down your job offer, but you still seem to be in your previous position if I'm correct?

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    13. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      Zoom calls are also tough for me. I'm going to try higher quality computer speakers, but I think it's the compressed audio that just hurts to listen to. I try to be in as few meetings as possible. I always thought meetings were usually a waste of time before all of this anyway.

• Like Like x 2
    14. Chadilac

Chadilac Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have severe tinnitus that I can hear over almost everything. I hear it while outside and while driving down the highway.

Work is hard to concentrate at nowadays and I can’t wait for the work day to be over but I haven’t habituated yet after having suffered another acoustic trauma. Now I wear my earmuffs around my neck whenever I’m at work.

I have habituated before and I know that I’ll habituate again in time. Knowing that I am in the hellish phase of tinnitus right now and that things will get better is what keeps me going.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    15. Simon85

Simon85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise exposure, but unknown.
      @Johan001 I work reasonably long hours in the financial markets. Honestly I think I cope best when at work. The distraction and concentration it requires is valuable. When I was visiting my ENT he chatted about a CEO he was working with that had tinnitus... it’s worthwhile finding things that help you to relax.

It’s not easy, but you can hold a decent job with tinnitus. You’ve got this.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
    16. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Same with me, nothing is worse than hearing low thumping over people's voices on zoom... then trying to have cohesive thoughts, or doing problem solving tasks. This hasn't just stolen silence, it's stolen peace (can't mask it), hope (keeps getting worse seemingly with new low tones), and my mind.

• Agree Agree x 2
    17. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yep, mine gets me off track very often while working... and I already had attention/concentration problems before this. I'm still absolutely capable of working, I'm just slower than I was before tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    18. Keith Handy
      Ape-like

Keith Handy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + sleep deprivation + noise
      I'm constantly reassuring myself that the audio is that bad (it is, as I recall from pre-dysacusis), and that it's not just my ears. But it's more bothersome now anyway.

19. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yea I'm positive it's the audio quality. I can watch tv just fine on my home theater speakers (both bookshelf and floor standing - not home-theater-in-a-box satellite speakers), but I can't use the built-in tv speakers, or talk on the speaker phone without it spiking up.

Right now the solution I'm going to try is some studio monitor speakers for my computer and maybe an Apple HomePod for phone calls.

20. Johan001

Johan001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Thanks @Simon85, that's reassuring. I think I'm much more haunted by the events that led to my tinnitus, it'd probably be easier to accept if it was a result of ear infection for example...

21. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      So is it an office job?

I don't know much about the financial markets but the guys on the trading floors seem to be surrounded by noise, it must be quite loud there...

22. Simon85

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I have an office job as a trader. Movies and TV like to show people shouting at each other across the floor. Most of the trading these days is electronic. Several trading desks have even shifted to working from home during COVID-19 and the transition has been quite smooth.

• Informative Informative x 1
    23. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      I use a laptop, would either of those help the sound quality with my laptop?

24. kingsfan
      Haunting

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good external speakers will help up to a point. For high-quality audio they will make a tremendous difference imo, but if you are running low quality audio through them it may only help marginally if at all.

The HomePod is just Apple's Echo/Google home equivalent. I don't know if you can run it as a Bluetooth speaker for your computer. You can make phone/Facetime calls through it though if you have an iPhone.

• Informative Informative x 1
    25. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      I have just started getting back into my job hunt after being in a slump. I feel like I'm doing better now with my hyperacusis but I'm still battling anxiety when it comes to job applications. A lot of jobs I've applied for are temporarily remote but I won't lie I am worried about how I will fire even in a typical office environment. The thought of any sudden, loud noise giving me a fresh setback doesn't do wonders for my confidence - particularly when it comes to things like fire alarms. I take it that fire drills aren't a massively common occurrence in most office jobs but I'm currently hung up on them lol. I could easily see myself sustaining a permanent setback from something like that.

• Like Like x 1
    26. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      If you do your job well, they could let you continue work remotely post-pandemic.

• Like Like x 2
    27. Simon85

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I’d explain the situation that loud noises cause physical pain. Most places will be happy to give you advanced notice for fire drills so that you can exit the building early. Job hunts are tough and I wouldn’t take it personally - many people send out hundreds of applications only to get a few rejections back (and mostly non-responses). Think of it like fishing where you have to be patient. If you apply for something each day then you’ll eventually get a bite.

• Like Like x 2
    28. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      I feel your pain. I was a teacher and administrator. We were required to have fire drills at least once a semester and then we would have the random fire alarm from the cafeteria or something electrical. Even with good hearing the alarms and 500+ students were deafening. There is no reason to have them that loud. There are also students with sensory and behavioral issues, not to mention just your normal kid with sensitive hearing.

I do hope more commercial settings and schools move to a voice type alarm with lights instead of sound. I am going to replace our alarms with the Nest alarms in the future. Hope you find a good fit for you~

twa

• Like Like x 1
    29. serendipity1996
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      That's a good point - I'm aware that there are certain situations e.g. students with autism who are able to get advance notice for things like fire drills. I ended up seeing a consultant ENT last year so I'm pretty sure I have something official like 'acoustic shock disorder' on my medical records now lol. So I'd probably even have medical evidence if I had to provide it although hopefully many employers would be understanding if you just plainly requested it in advance.

Yeah, the job hunt is tough but everyone is in the same boat so will see what I can get! Thank you for the well wishes though.

30. serendipity1996
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      I'm hopeful that working from home will be more normalised post-pandemic!