Kava Kava for Tinnitus — Post Your Experience!

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by JasonP, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      Thanks for this @Matchbox. So you got a day ish of relief/improvement for a 2 day spike. Is that fair to say?

And have you tried Kava Kava 2 days in a row or do you intend to? I am wondering if the accumulation of Kava Kava would affect the duration of the pursuant spike (or have any other positive or negative effect on stopping).

2. Skydog07
      Alienated

Skydog07 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi all. I have been lurking on this thread for a week or two.

So I purchased some Kava Kava capsules that don't have Kavalactones listed as an ingredient like some of the others linked earlier.

Does anyone know if Kavalactones are important to get the effects some users are reporting?

3. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      In theory it should be important but give it a shot.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Kava Kava extract should have the Kavalactones, it's like extracting Ginger root and getting no Ginger taste.

Yes, the Kavalactones are the important part.

• Like Like x 1
    5. cruise
      Relaxed

cruise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If everything is quiet and the only sound I hear would be cars passing by, and if you ask me if in the last hour I heard any cars pass by, I would not be able to answer that question, because I did not pay attention to the sounds of cars. So the answer would be yes, I probably must have heard them, because I can't image that no cars passing by in the last hour simply because it is a busy street. But I could not say with 100% certainty that a car has passed by because I can not recall an actual instance of me hearing a car pass by. Same with tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I tried Kava Kava this morning with coffee. I took 3 pills, it should have worked.

Absolutely jack shit happened.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. cruise
      Relaxed

cruise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Not being aware as in not being on my mind. If I think about it, I can feel that I have a shirt on. My arms feel the sleeves around it. But I have to stop and think about my clothes in order to feel them. Other than that, the feeling of the clothes on my body is not on my mind. I wear glasses. If I pay attention, I can see the frame of my glasses. But if I don't pay attention, my eyes are technically still seeing the frame but it is not on my mind.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm glad people that have it so mild can do this but preaching it to severe sufferers all over the forums kinda ticks me off.

• Agree Agree x 4
    9. Uklawyer

Uklawyer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication - antidepressants
      Sorry to get off topic on the Kava Kava thread...

@cruise: I believe you said that you had it pretty loud did you not (that you could hear it when flying)?

Did the volume decrease before you could habituate?

Two more points for you:

1. I believe you said that you can read at night before going to bed without noticing it. What happens when you turn off the light to go to sleep? Does it then become apparent in the dark as you settle in to sleep - or would you actively have to search for it to be aware of it?

2. If it does appear (at that, or at any other, time), can you immediately "push it back" or do you have to actively try to ignore it/think about something else before it fades again?

Thanks for sticking around and supporting.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To cruise:

Your analogy is utterly fatuous, thoroughly dismissable and incomprehensibly unbelievable for two reasons:

1) The sensation of feeling your shirt is quite pleasant; there could not be a more contrary sensation than tinnitus since it is so invasively tantamount to deep internalized pain (which makes me seriously question whether you actually have tinnitus at all);

2) Whenever you desire, you can eliminate this sensation by taking off your shirt; tinnitus is relentlessly ever-present no matter what you do.

My main objection to your commentaries is that you assume that we are of such low intelligence that we will unquestionably accept such empirically disprovable analogies.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    11. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      I don’t mean to diminish your experience @cruise but wearing a shirt doesn’t hurt. There is a sensation but who cares. If I wear a horse hair shirt covered in metal shavings and can never take it off for 1 second until I die, well that is something on the continuum towards torture. Every moment in every day becomes a challenge in compartmentalizing, creating emotional and cognitive structures to make the pain abstract and not dominate your life.

I try to keep myself emotionally neutral to the pain, I don’t think about losses in the past or future because of my condition, but the sensation of pain, of a shrieking, piercing, undulating, ever changing loud screech that any reasonable person would stop if they could, well that is not like the feeling of soft cotton on my back.

That being said on my rare most mild days I have had the experience where I can imagine just pushing it off like the feeling of a shirt and for those brief moments I wonder if it is possible to just feel that way but then my full symptoms return. That’s why we need a treatment that can reduce the symptoms. If it is low enough then it no longer hurts and strategies of emotional management will work fine.

• Like Like x 2
    12. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One of the best distortion/tinnitus days yet, taking only 1 Kava pill.

I hope it isn't like benzos.

• Like Like x 2
    13. OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

OptimusPrimed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma - Repeated gun blasts
      I don’t understand. You posted in May that you took 3 pills and it did nothing. Sounds placebo to me.

14. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't understand either.

Could have a multitude of reasons. It wasn't controlled enough and now I'm trying to abstain from most brain altering drugs for the time being.

• Like Like x 1
    15. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      It helps me sometimes too, no idea why (PILLS ONLY, not the drink).

• Like Like x 1