Life Gets Amazing — Tinnitus Doesn't Matter

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by Joe J, Nov 18, 2021.

1. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @GregCA, you sound like you are one of the unfortunate people who are severely affected and I feel for you; however, this section is specifically for positive story’s/outcomes.

Could posts like this be saved for the support section?

@OnceUponaTime, I am not even 30, have tinnitus, pulsatile tinnitus and an autoimmune condition that is kicking my ass. I come to the success story section to help me cope. Reading that I will never get better and the only thing that will change is me suffering in silence is far from helpful.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Really? This is what you’re worried about?

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    3. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I am sorry that you are going through so much right now.

Like I said, I did not wish to bring you or anyone else down with my comment but at the same time, me coming to this site and reading certain comments that may imply we are all the same and we should all "suck it up butter cup" or "ignore it" and it will get better and tinnitus will magically disappear, is far from helpful to me who have been suffering for 10 years.

I am glad you find the success stories helpful. I also like reading the success stories.
      Many are helpful and have given me much hope.

I wish you better days,
      Once

• Like Like x 2
    4. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      I agree the straight tone eeee is fairly easy to habituate to, not taking anything away but it was at least easy for me. The other stuff can become a beast that’s unrelenting.

• Agree Agree x 3
    5. Johan001

Johan001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Unfortunately there is nothing the medical community can do for us at the moment. If we choose to avoid positive attitude, we will just harm ourselves in the first place.

Even if, looking from the positive perspective, there is something that's in the making now, it will still take some time to become available. And we need to survive our best in this time.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I'm sure your calibre of writing is quite good enough. Good writing style is not about using big words to impress. Proper words in their right place.

Take care,
      Michael

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    7. makeyourownluck
      Magical

makeyourownluck Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @OnceUponaTime, I just get frustrated reading though the success stories as they regularly turn into a debate about severity and how some people can't habituate. In my opinion, posts related to these issues should be in the support section.

I don't think there is a single person on this forum who is not aware that tinnitus can range from mild to severe. It's written everywhere.

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Like Like x 1
    8. Johan001

Johan001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      I personally know people with severe multitonal screeching tinnitus who did habituate. They clearly hear it but their emotional reaction to it is zero. I wouldn't say it's possible for everyone, but for me this is the hope, the goal. I am determined to get to that stage no matter what.

I refuse to be miserable and suffer and hope some mysterious scientist notices me and thinks "oh, the guy is suffering, let me invent the cure ASAP". That is not how our world works. Our modern medical community only does things where they see profits. It's a business industry. Can you sell tinnitus cure? Absolutely. Is it easy to develop? No, because it's an extremely tricky condition. So that may be less of an incentive to invest into it.

I hope for a cure but I absolutely don't expect it. So, my only way out of suffering is to adapt.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    9. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      That is true, and it will remain that way if the medical community thinks that tinnitus is no big deal. Just look at how much gets invested in tinnitus research vs other illnesses. Money won't flow into research if companies don't see high demand, and high demand is correlated with suffering (or mortality). If it's not a "big deal" to solve, it won't get invested in.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    10. OnceUponaTime
      Wishful

OnceUponaTime Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I understand. because it happens to me, too. Like you, I also come here to read success stories to find comfort and hope, but it frustrates me to read certain comments like the ones I mentioned on my previous post . Don't get me wrong, I am more than happy for the young man who wrote this story. I am sure he didn't mean to frustrate me with his words. These type of comments don't help me just like my comment didn't help you, I apologize. Yet, I didn't ask for it to be moved to another section of this forum. I politely addressed my frustration about the comment. I am not here to argue with anyone. So please understand my comment was not intended to become a debate or discourage you. Be at peace. There is always hope. Stay positive. :huganimation:
      Oh, but there are. Anyone that says ignore it, forget about it, suck it up butter cup is, perhaps, unaware. Sadly.

I am happy the "success stories" section helps you.

Please do not be discouraged. I hope your tinnitus resolves and you have better days ahead.

Be well.
      Once

• Like Like x 2
    11. Johan001

Johan001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      I just don't see how us, people like you and me, suffering will turn the corner for the medical community. They won't do anything out of compassion. There are many illnesses that are debilitating and still incurable. ALS may be an example. Spinal injuries are also incurable.

We are just supporting each other the best we can to pull through. If there were no habituation success stories, much more people would do the unthinkable in the early days and much more people would be severely depressed.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    12. BigNick

BigNick Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      That's not entirely true.

13. Johan001

Johan001 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      In terms of "nothing" I was referring to an actual cure. Sorry, I should've been more specific.

14. lucy_snow

lucy_snow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss/ibuprofen
      @Joe J, does your tinnitus fluctuate on a daily basis? Or is it the constant eeeee?

15. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      Gotta say @DaveFromChicago, this comment made me chuckle. It reminds me of watching an episode of Everybody Loves Raymond, where Debra's father made the comment that he never ate a muffin--in his whole life! Well, Frank wasn't going to stand for that, and told him straight up, "Everybody's eaten a muffin!" I tend to think the same way about thesauruses; hasn't everybody used a thesaurus, especially English majors! lol
      Hey @Joe J -- Thanks for chiming in, and congratulations on your ability to not have tinnitus hold you back from having an awesome life. -- Just to mention, my name's not Buttercup. ;)

• Like Like x 4
      • Funny Funny x 1
    16. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To Lane:

A much better way to develop a vocabulary is to immerse yourself in World Literature (especially in the 20th Century) over a period of years and look up every word whose meaning you are not at all (or even entirely) sure of. Rereading the passage that in it's particular context includes the word in question is far more helpful in ascertaining it's true meaning than resorting to a Thesaurus.

Also, an Instructor once insightfully mentioned that being able to fully understand the great, complex 20th Century Poets (Yeats, Eliot, Auden, Wallace Stevens, Robert Lowell, Robert Frost, et.al) is the equivalent of a Verbal IQ Test.

It took me years of frequent effort to develop even a semblance of this level of reading comprehension.

• Funny Funny x 1
    17. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      Wow, you can fully understand what T.S. Eliot is saying? His poems make quantum physics look like child’s play.

• Like Like x 2
    18. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To ZFire:
      I return to Eliot again and again; fully understanding him is as daunting a task as is figuring out a cure for tinnitus.

• Like Like x 2
    19. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Must be nice having mild-moderate tinnitus with no hyperacusis.

• Agree Agree x 8
    20. Barry098
      No Mood

Barry098 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      I will attest to the validity of this statement... once your ears are jacked up, even if they stop ringing after a while, they are primed to go right back to 11.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    21. Barry098
      No Mood

Barry098 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      Yep, that pretty much sums it up for me too. Easier to pretend things are great because no one who is not experiencing tinnitus wants to hear otherwise.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1