Loud Tone for a Few Seconds — Fleeting / Transient Spontaneous Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Cher69, Aug 5, 2013.

?

Have You Experienced Fleeting Tinnitus?

1. Yes, even before I got chronic tinnitus

2. Yes, only after I got chronic tinnitus

3. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have had tinnitus for 5 months. Haven’t found the cause of it, probably never will.
      I have a extremely high pitch ring, with static, can be a hum or clicking and sometimes it’s like a twinkling high pitch sound if that makes since lol.

I have been experiencing here lately for a while, for a few seconds I get this super super loud high pitch ring. It’s like I go deaf for only a second and then the super super loud high pitch ring comes and then it goes, it only last for a few seconds.

My tinnitus is loud but this is a lot louder, i can be at work and I’ve been so busy that I’ve not payed any attention to my tinnitus and BOOM here it comes for a few seconds. I’ve asked other people and some people who doesn’t have tinnitus have experienced it.

Does any of you tinnitus sufferes experience anything like that?

2. Thissucks..jenn

Thissucks..jenn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 1-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bunch of b.s from cosmetic injections
      I've read conflicting theories on fleeting tinnitus. For instance related to hair cell dying... I think that's not correct about the dying hair cell. If anyone has a real theory why this happens would love to hear it?

3. annV
      Fine

annV Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown - possibly hereditary
      There's a reason they're conflicting theories, because there is no accurate one. All are just theories. My doctor who is specialized in tinnitus dx said fleeting tinnitus is not a concern.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    4. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I agree. But I do remember back in 2002 when I would get hit with a loud sharp tone that actually knocked me out of bed it was so loud and so sharp and hurt. I didn't know anything at all back then about what was happening to me. It took a few years for me to come to terms with the non-threat idea.

Now several years later it happens very less. But when it does hit me I am minus the fear factor which helps a lot.

5. Thissucks..jenn

Thissucks..jenn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      October 1-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bunch of b.s from cosmetic injections
      Does anyone here have normal hearing and get fleeting tinnitus? This is my case right now. Started happening about a week ago in left ear. One to two times a day... I'm afraid of going deaf in that ear because if it. I did have 6 dexamethasone injections in that ear over the course of 3 months or so because of inflammation of inner ear but I do not have any loss even in highest frequencies hearing test.

6. dayma
      Pacman

dayma Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/6/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      UNKNOWN
      All, just another observation over the last 5 months of tinnitus.

I noticed that I get fleeting tinnitus daily on my left ear (my tinnitus ear). Before I got tinnitus I got fleeting tinnitus maybe like once every few months. Is there a correlation there? Is this because my nerves are over active in general?

*Note: I always hope that when fleeting tinnitus happens that it just takes away my tinnitus totally :(

• Hug Hug x 2
    7. Tweaker
      Transparent

Tweaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      It seems to be a burst of elecrical activity in the hearing system but no obvious cause or reason. I have had this several times. The last time this happened, it left me with an additonal residing tone which I have had for one week. This is on top of my other tinnitus sounds. I think maybe it will stay. It came right after the fleeting tinnitus episode. Like it didnt quite go away or return to normal. Anyone else experience this?

8. CrystalB

CrystalB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have had a few moments of I believe what is called fleeting tinnitus, it’s where I go completely deaf in one or both ears, usually it’s just one and I get this extremely loud ring, it only last a few seconds to maybe a minute. Where does fleeting tinnitus come from the ears or the brain?

I’ve never experienced fleeting tinnitus until I got tinnitus back last year in November.

If that comes from the brain does it mean my original tinnitus comes from my brain also?

I was diagnosed with Eustachian tube dysfunction about a month ago, the ENT told me he didn’t know if my ringing is coming from that or not.

• Informative Informative x 1
    9. Veronica

Veronica Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Mesication
      Does anyone ever experience a very loud ringing ( not the regular Titnnus) that makes your hearing go out for like a quick 2 seconds and then the ringing goes away ?

10. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      I do
      It happened before my T, and it happens now too. Not very often tho, maybe a couple times a year. I think most people have it happen

11. Veronica

Veronica Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Mesication
      @jjflyman ok phewwwww! Yeah I get it a few times a year ... I never had this till after T ... I wonder why it happens ?!

12. sirhand
      Anime

sirhand Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/20/2018 4:30 pm
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      4 hour (apparently too loud) headphone session
      SBUTTs are typically a sudden onset of ringing followed by ear fullness and then in a few minutes everything is back to normal. It usually occurs in one ear at a time. I haven't seen much talk about SBUTTs anywhere, even here. I've had them occasionally throughout my life.

I typically get SBUTTs when I stand up after laying down for a bit. Same situation that makes me lightheaded, so I guess it might be blood pressure related. I typically get at least a little ringing along with feeling lightheaded.

Yesterday I had something like an SBUTT but it was way more intense than I've ever experienced before. To the point where it seemed like something different. I stood up from bed and immediately felt this coming on so I laid back down. The ringing got very loud in both ears. About 30 seconds later I got ear fullness in both ears. Maybe another 30 seconds later hissing came in pretty loud. The sensitivity in my ears was turned way up and sound was very distorted. Kind of a "tin can" type sound. My hair rubbing against my ears was loud. This hissing and extreme sensitivity lasted maybe 5 minutes as it faded. Thankfully I'm completely back to baseline now.

I would love to hear from some people who have had symptoms like these. It seems like more than a coincidence that I got this extreme SBUTT shortly after getting permanent T.

edit: I'm seeing the term "transient tinnitus" is more commonly used and seems to be the same thing.

13. Ahat

Ahat Member

I get fleeting tinnitus in my left ear (it’s the worst) several times a day. It lasts for about a minute and then goes away. I know fleeting tinnitus is normal, but what I don’t understand is the fact that when it goes away one of the tones in my ear disappears and the other two lower in volume significantly. This is obviously temporary and only last for a few minutes.

I know tinnitus does its own thing. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

• Like Like x 1
    14. Daniel95
      Tired

Daniel95 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Approximately 01/10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/sinus Infection/headphones/maybe antibiotics
      I know that, at onset, I got a lot of episodes of fleeting tinnitus, but no such luck with the volume lowering. I've heard of this before from others, where they get a case of fleeting tinnitus followed by lowered volume, and I'm wondering if it's possible that residual inhibition is the cause.

If you don't know, residual inhibition means the following - The temporary suppression of tinnitus following the termination of an external masking noise is known as the phenomenon of “residual inhibition.” - The key here is that it's defined as termination of external masking noise, but if you get fleeting tinnitus in the frequencies your normal tinnitus is, I think it's possible that residual inhibition could activate and make it lower.

Of course, you are so early in that none of this matters to you at all. Someone here once said, that it could be a number of good or bad things, but it's likely you won't find out, so assume it's a good thing. I would assume that your ears or brain are trying to heal or filter out the tinnitus.

A lot of people find that their tinnitus goes away on it's own within the first 2 years, so I would try not to panic and overanalyze things. There's a hefty chance your tinnitus might still go away on it's own.

Just another thought, but since you are having that effect from fleeting tinnitus, have you had any luck with ACRN?

15. Ahat

Ahat Member

I haven’t tried it. I don’t know the frequencies of my tones. I haven’t been to an audiologist or ENT.

(Sorry I’m just now replying. I didn’t realize they moved my post.)

16. Daniel95
      Tired

Daniel95 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Approximately 01/10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/sinus Infection/headphones/maybe antibiotics
      It's partly my fault for not mentioning you. Oops :)

While ENTs and audiologists aren't very useful when it comes to tinnitus, I still believe you should make the rounds just to make sure it's not something with a physical cause that could be resolved with proper treatment. Also if you could match your tinnitus, you might be able to get some good results from ACRN.

But, I do understand that ACRN isn't very good for us multi-tonals. I personally haven't had benefit from it, but you might. Good luck :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Dylan Blake
      Predatory

Dylan Blake Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 27 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ave CrystalB, if ETD is indeed the cause of Your Tinnitus then I would suggest a visit to the PC Physician is in order have them check the ears and nose. who NOSE the might find buried treasure.

• Funny Funny x 2
    18. lucy_snow

lucy_snow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss/ibuprofen
      do any of you have this? i have my normal tinnitus in my left ear but today in my right ear i have this fleeting tinnitus that comes every few minutes. it is very disturbing. well, i think it is fleeting T... but it happens every few minutes.... it's really annoying and i'm so afraid...

19. Davey126

Davey126 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hey everyone!

Lately I have been getting fullness/pressure in my ears followed by loud tinnitus. Almost like a brief moment of deafness and a burst of tinnitus. It usually subsides in minutes. After my anxiety goes through the roof. is this normal? I had mild tinnitus for many years and don’t recall having this happen. Now it’s picked up from stress and anxiety since Feb.

20. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Davey126 ,
      It could be ETD or mucus in your tubes or inflamation from your jaw joint.
      love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    21. Mystery Reader

Mystery Reader Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still Under Investigation
      @Davey126
      Do a thread search for 'fleeting tinnitus.' What you describe seems similar to something I read in one of the threads about it, but it was a few months back and I might have my terminology confused. Someone here will know where to direct you if those threads don't seem applicable to you after you look at them.

Mystery Reader

EDIT: I just saw the reply from @glynis
      She is much more knowledgeable than I am about these things and a better source!

• Like Like x 1
    22. Davey126

Davey126 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you @glynis and @Mystery Reader i appreciate the reply. My ears do pop constantly when swallowing. Any ideas on what I can take or do to help? Maybe sudafed? I don’t want my T to get louder.

23. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Sudafed, steam inhalation, nasal spray...
      see how you get on with these ideas.
      love glynis

• Like Like x 1
    24. Ruth Gil
      Fiendish

Ruth Gil Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      sinusitis or headphones?
      My tinnitus is quite mild and relatively easy to ignore but sometimes I get these HUGE spikes that last around 6 seconds, my heart stops everytime, and I can't breathe until it's finally gone. I don't want it to stay that way one day!!

Also, I don't get them after any specific activity, I could be sitting comfortably minding my business and BAM, huge scary spike that fortunately goes away.

Please tell me that they will continue to be temporary and brief!

25. Codeflowd
      Doubtful

Codeflowd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dont know
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello everyone,

Do any of you sometimes have this momentarily intensified tinnitus in one of the ears?
      It's about 30 seconds to a minute and it goes away and the normal tinnitus can be heard again.

When that happens, I also notice hearing loss in that ear.
      But it always comes back after a few moments normal.

Sometimes this happens every day for a week and sometimes it's weeks until it happens again.

Any idea what's going on? I don't think it's anything dangerous though.

26. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      They call it fleeting tinnitus in the forum.
      Think it’s not uncommon.

27. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants / Loud Sound Exposure
      Hey all,

Yesterday something atypical happened to me. I had kinda 10 episodes of fleeting tinnitus in the same interval of one hour. It was on my left ear (my good ear, tinnitus free), fading away after few seconds, but keeping this strange sensation that my tinnitus was redistributed after the episodes, in the sense that it lessened the sound in the right ear but sent a part of the sound to the left ear, hard to say.

I woke up today with my usual level and distribution of tinnitus: right ear, usual volume. Was the streak episode of yesterday something to worry about?

I guess it's important to state that I am one month at 100mg of Zoloft after 5 weeks of 50mg (the dosage increase didn't seem to change my tinnitus) and I take 0.625mg of Xanax everyday.

Only 'different stuff' I did yesterday was to take a cup of chamomile tea 4 or 5 hours before, but I don't know if this can influence.

Is this kind of episode normal? Should I be worried?

28. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I had something similar happen to me as well. I think it may have to do with ETD for me. Maybe your tea opened up your pathways allowing some mucus to move around causing it?

Keep us updated, but I do think it is something to worry about. Tinnitus is very weird and can do strange things.

29. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants / Loud Sound Exposure
      How are you after the episode? Back to the baseline?

I will post if I notice anything different.

30. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      Ya, mine went back to baseline the next day.