Low-Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) for Tinnitus — Experiences (Dr. Wilden, etc.)

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by joe, Mar 22, 2012.

1. PK_nova

PK_nova Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 12
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL
      Can you talk about how long your treatments were for each ear and at what power the laser was set? I am in Virginia and I found a clinic that has the laser and is willing to treat me but they have never done it for hearing loss/tinnitus before and don't have a set treatment plan.

2. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Did you pay $3500 for the Luci basic? Does it seem to be of better quality than the Konftec brand?

I would give anything for relief but am somewhat skeptical if Luci basic would help chronic tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      So you are getting effects... what about trying a heat compress to your neck.... they make these things, full of beans, you put them in the microwave and rap them around your neck... I bet this would help you and they cost nothing.

Not saying to not continue with the laser, just as a added relaxation therapy for your neck.

You can buy it on Amazon. If you are not cashed up or lazy I'll buy you one for Christmas, that's a promise.

I am hanging low... just trying to stay positive... see you around.

• Informative Informative x 1
    4. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I woke up today with extremely loud buzzing in my left barotrauma ear. It was 2/3rds full of fluid back in 2008. That is the same ear I have jaw crunchiness and clicking, but no pain. I don't think it's my neck. I wore my appliance last night. So frustrating to have this loud noise and not be able to shut it off.

I will try the warm compress to my left TMJ, neck areas. I hope you are doing some better.

Does your tinnitus vary much? Or maybe hyperacusis is worse for you? Years ago an ENT told me to see Dr. Silverstein and try his Microwick. TMJ was a last resort that someone mentioned. I'm not making any progress if that is the cause.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Did you have any tinnitus improvement with the Luci basic? I don’t know if the medical grade laser in Florida is more effective? Probably end up costing close to $5000 with the flight and 2 week stay.

6. Cal18
      Nerdy

Cal18 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2010 / 2016 Both SSRI Withdrawal and Mild Hearing Loss
      I actually ended up losing the device which was a bummer. The Konftec laser is pretty close, around $800 if you want to save some money. I felt like the Wilden device was a little better. Overall, improvements were minimal and hard for me to track since I fluctuate so much.

• Informative Informative x 2
    7. Phat Tuna

Phat Tuna Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hygienist
      I am experiencing the same hearing distortions along with hyperacusis and reactive tinnitus. How long after using the device before you started noticing improvement? Would you still recommend the device?

8. mknature
      Wishful

mknature Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013 (quiet), 5/2020 (loud)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss / ototoxicity / viruses
      Seems to me (although I haven't done amazingly extensive research) that LLLT or "cold laser therapy" is taking off here in the USA, for other things than tinnitus.

Even this post from the Center for ENT sounds willing to admit there is evidence of it working.
      https://www.centerforent.com/blog/may-hope-tinnitus-sufferers

Are there clinics or doctors willing to do LLLT in America? Or are people just going with home treatment (Konftec, Dr. Wilden's device)? I'd like to find a clinic if I could, although I know much of the USA is still in kind of shut-down due to COVID-19.

9. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    10. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      This is one of the few alternative treatments that seems to be getting positive feedback.

• Like Like x 1
    11. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Can LLLT possibly treat chronic tinnitus?

12. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
    13. MadsWithT
      No Mood

MadsWithT Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      See bio
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Hi,

If you just search for LLLT studies on pubmed, you'll find quite a few with different parameters. The two I quoted are just a couple of examples. The consensus seems to be that it doesn't seem to help, unfortunately. Have you found a couple of studies that support the hypothesis that it could help?

15. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I doubt that Silverstein in Florida would have much good to say about LumoMed. I couldn’t get hardly any referrals from them. I’m sure they would be more than happy to take your money though.

16. MadsWithT
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      See bio
      Regarding LLLT for tinnitus, I know of one, in English, I think it is from Prague. For LLLT in general there are plenty of studies. Remember that medical laser technology came from the Soviet Union back in the day. The treatment did apparently not catch on in English speaking countries. I suspect a lot of studies are biased. I think I have seen the studies you refer to on sites promoting TRT.

17. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I'm talking about studies that examine LLLT specifically for Tinnitus. There are quite a few of them: just put the keywords in pubmed and they'll show up.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/?term=tinnitus+low+level+light+therapy

18. MadsWithT
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      See bio
    19. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Have you come across any that asserts any benefit?

20. MadsWithT
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      See bio
      Yes, the one from the Czech Republic that I mentioned.

21. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      You have a link?

22. lymebite
      Vegged out

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Like Like x 1
    23. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      Good question, any use for chronic tinnitus?

24. lymebite
      Vegged out

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Here is an audiologist in Seattle, USA now offering LLLT.

SEATTLE (PRUnderground) July 30th, 2020

Seattle Hearing & Wellness partners with Prism Light Pod, the industry leader of full-body cold-laser light beds, to provide PrismCare red-light therapy wellness solutions. At the launch of the PrismCare service expansion, the scientifically researched benefits of red-light therapy will be introduced to clientele as an addition to audiology solutions.

Studies have shown red-light therapy can offer relief for common inner-ear conditions such as vertigo, tinnitus and hyperacusis,” said founder and CEO of Prism Light Pod, Karl Chen. “We are delighted that Seattle Hearing & Wellness has decided to incorporate the non-invasive healing power of red-light therapy to its services.”

https://www.prunderground.com/seatt...ht-pod-red-light-therapy-in-seattle/00197460/

• Like Like x 2
    25. porcelainblue

porcelainblue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Has anyone had any luck emailing Lucky Laser recently? Do you know if the email listed in an earlier post (luckylaser@vip.163.com) is still working? The "contact us" links on their website seems broken...

26. MadsWithT
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      See bio
      I spoke to Anne Harila earlier this year. She told me that Lucky Laser is discontinued. Take a look at Konftec instead...

• Like Like x 1
    27. porcelainblue

porcelainblue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    28. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      I should get my Konftec in a few days. I am just under 2 months out from loud noise incident. I will update as I use it.

• Like Like x 2
    29. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Okay I just did 680 nm for 30 minutes and it definitely spiked my tinnitus. I guess that’s a good/bad sign?

30. SoundB0und
      Balanced

SoundB0und Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity
      I suggest you read more about the lasers, if nowhere else then on this forum. You'd know the answer to this question even if you'd done brief research. Most people advocating for the laser state that first spikes are good. Even I get small, maybe 20% intensity, spike, after all these years, while but only while I do the laser and not anymore after it. I think some of my latest posts on the laser threads have been good, some tidbits and information on what I've learned.

I mentioned also in one of my latest posts after a poster in a laser thread got a major spike, that I started with 5 minutes of the laser myself. I had the foresight to do that even over 2 years ago when nobody mentioned it. It's good to start your supplements slow too. I take a spec of them starting out, there's no downside to this and major upside of when you get bad side effects not ruining yourself were you to get bad side effects.

Definitely don't do the 808nm 30 minutes like you did the 660nm, even though that's what Konftec suggests. Not that it'll damage you but it'll freak you out more if even the 660nm did, because the 808nm is almost twice as powerful. So yeah I'll reiterate what I mentioned to my first post to you, you need to do more research. I spent a lot of time reading about this treatment before I even purchased the laser. It's just impractical also to type out everything for every new person again and again.

EDIT: Reading back now, I might have been a bit blunt in my last post. I didn't mean to put you down or anything, it's just the way I write. I'm thinking about making a post or maybe even a thread, probably a post though, where I can direct people to that has all my suggestions about the lasers in a cohesive and brief way.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1