My Dad's Tinnitus Success Story — From a Loud Flute Down to a Hiss Heard in Dead Silence

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by ErikaS, Dec 2, 2022.

1. ErikaS

ErikaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection/Ultra High Frequency Loss in Right Ear
      So I figured while I am living in this unfortunate space currently with my own acute tinnitus, I might as well share my dad’s tinnitus story and success with it!

When my tinnitus came on 3 months ago, my dad shared with me that he had “a flute going up and down notes in his right ear” many years ago. It came on out of nowhere, but not a surprise as he is a Vietnam vet and ran his own contracting business (lots of loud noises).

So when he told me this, I asked, “wait, was I alive?” I asked this because I never once remembered him talking about it. So I asked further questions. He basically said “Yeah, it would get annoying, I even went to an ENT eventually who did a hearing test and I asked him ‘can you hear that?’ because it sounded loud enough to ask that. It interrupted my sleep from time to time, but I would just put on the radio at work or let work sounds drown it out”.

He never did any type of heavy duty protection following it or any therapy or meds, he said he just tried to ignore it. Within 7-8 years, he said it went from the alternating flute playing to a hiss sound. He said over that 7-8 years, the flute became quieter and quieter and turned into the hiss, but it took its time for sure. Just imagine if he took care of his ears a little better, probably would have happened faster. To this day, it’s a very quiet hiss that can only be heard in dead silence, and he doesn’t even think about and it doesn’t bother him at all (the man falls asleep all the time within 5 minutes, it’s insane and I am beyond jealous). I share this just to show that there really is no set time frame when it comes to this thing, and he for sure was noise induced tinnitus and also has hearing loss.

Also in sharing this, I know many, like myself, would do just about anything for one sound in one ear that is non-reactive. I type this as I hear my not so beautiful orchestra of 5-6 alternating sounds going on in both ears along with my static reactivity going on my right ear by the low volume of the TV and heater. So, this isn’t to downplay because I wish I had his tinnitus, but I figured another success story can always give some hope.

It should also be noted that my dad has said many times since this has taken over my life and mental state in the past 3 months, “I would do anything to take it from you and deal with it myself”. He’s a great dad :love:

• Like x 9
      • Winner x 5
      • Hug x 4
      • Friendly x 2
      • Optimistic x 1
    2. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It's a well known fact that most tinnitus goes into remission. I wish you luck on this journey and hope the very best for you. There's lots of new promising developments in tinnitus treatment coming soon.

• Like Like x 7
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. TLion

TLion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/loud concert
      This is nice, thank you! My mother also says very often „I would take it from you and deal with it myself if I only could“. This is the kind of parent one needs!

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Like Like x 3
    4. pc1

pc1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Colds virus
      My dad said to me that he had tinnitus in his forties (he is now in his 60s with no tinnitus). He said it took many months until it started to disappear. It appeared out of nowhere and he had trouble sleeping. He said to me to ignore it and just carry on focusing on what I need to do. He also said it’s not good to be working from home because it’s too quiet. He knows it wasn’t my choice to work at home - it’s the pandemic and not many people is in the office anyway, so it’s also too quiet in the office. He said try to be in a place with noise and he said don’t think about it and it will just go. I love my dad. I’m also in my forties - the same age my dad experience his now-gone tinnitus. Mine was due to COVID-19 5 months ago. I’m now sleeping well. I can fall asleep within 5 or so minutes with the bells and whistles.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. tniuf
      Banhappy

tniuf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral infection
      Thanks for your story. Did he attend clubs/concerts with no protection when he had tinnitus, with no irritation/worsening to his tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. Sammy0225

Sammy0225 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      COVID-19, ear infection, stress
      Awesome!

• Like Like x 1
    7. Strawberryblonde
      Greedy

Strawberryblonde Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1st mild (12/2015) mild-mod (5/2022)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Many reasons who truly knows
      Always uplifting to hear these stories of how tinnitus miraculously disappears. You have to keep hope and that's what I do daily :) For me, it's faded to a mild hiss before today and I really hope I can do it again; I doubt it, but I still keep that hope :)

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ErikaS

ErikaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you so much. What scares me with mine is the multiple sounds and reactivity, and since it started 3 months ago, it’s only gotten worse, no improvement or even steady state. I know this can happen in the first months before it gets better and I try to tell myself that, but it’s just hard. Last night was night 3 of little sleep due to the loudness when I lay down, and I can’t mask it because it’s reactive.

Positive thoughts and healing right back to you!

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ErikaS

ErikaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      He’s not a club or concert guy, so didn’t go to very loud events like that but did attend regular sporting events for my sister and I, holiday parties, family gatherings, restaurants, etc. and continued to work his job which had louder sounds.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      ErikaS

ErikaS Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for sharing. I have reactivity which takes the tinnitus beast up a significant notch. Can’t drown it out with sound, and when I lay down, the noises get louder. Hoping by month 5 I’ve made some progress like you, because right now sleep is very hard to come by.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1