New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Pero1234

Pero1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      home theatre system + high pressure washer
      Somehow I have a feeling that signal timing could alleviate / remove the symptoms of tinnitus...

But that Frequency TX is working on the cure: regrowing hair cells.

Given the choice, I’d give Frequency TX a first shot. Who knows, perhaps signal timing turns off more than we want in the brain... eliminating the chance of restoring hearing in that frequency.

Just a thought :) I’m not a scientist.

• Like Like x 1
    2. ee9892

ee9892 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      The more research the better :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    3. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      Could this treatment work also for patients with drug induced ototoxicity?

I know it's too early to jump into conclusions but a great deal of tinnitus sufferers had also been treated (at least in the initial stages) with antidepressants and/or antiepileptic drugs to fight anxiety.

These aren't strictly ototoxic agents to the same extend as e.g. Salicilates, NSAIDS, Loop diuretics, Chemotherapy agents or certain types of Antibiotics (-mycin). Those who have had "T" for a long time and the initial cause for their tinnitus was a noise exposure, might surely have undergone treatments with some of these type of medications too (there are millions of "t" patients worldwide after all).

It just crossed my mind if this strategy could also prove helpful to them...

• Like Like x 2
    4. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Jiri Yes this treatment may even help those with non somatic issues because vertebral nerves is what often causes somatic tinnitus and sometimes other tinnitus influence. The vertebral arteries have direct influence with vagal, cardiac, and AUDITORY. The vertebral arteries in trauma can cause headaches, vertigo, nasal problems, facial pain and flushing.

For somatic tinnitus the cervical spine provides musculoskeletal stability which supports the cranium, spinal cord and vertebral artery. Cervical subluxation has an effect on sensory and nervous systems. The sternocleidmastoideus and trapezius muscle strain is often due to strain of sensory fibers of the spinal accessory nerves. It's the vertebral arteries where AUDITORY symptoms follow.

Unless there's a structure problem in the cervical spine and/or brain stem then her treatment should help many, but I think pressure against resistance exercises will also be needed. Control of forward head bending, eye strain and emotional tension is believed to be also needed.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      That was very informative. Thank you, @Greg Sacramento

However, I was specifically thinking this time of those who acquired drug induced tinnitus - poisoning of the cochlea and/or auditory nerve, on top of their noise induced tinnitus.

Either as a result of a psychiatric treatment (antidepressants/antiepileptics/antipsychotics) or by being prescribed some of the drug agents I mentioned above - antibiotics are fairly common e.g.

By poisoning it may well be the brain itself that's also affected.

Could UoM - signal timing still prove helpful in such case scenarios?

• Like Like x 1
    6. hans799
      Mellow

hans799 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Born with it
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened Dec 2016 by headphones
      Man I really want to get to the point where a tinnitus sufferer can look at the many options for curing the condition and with a disinterested, slightly superior air point out to his doctor which one he prefers to get :D That will be so awesome.

(Not to imply that your post was in any way disinterested or superior!! This is just a fun mental image in contrast to today's "you just have to live with it" shit.)

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Like Like x 1
    7. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Yeah I'd be glad for one treatment but a plethora would be even better

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      All roads lead to Rome. If you can stop T in the brain, it doesn't matter how it is caused. IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    9. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Yes, Dr. Shore talks about slowing down over active neurones in the brain. And there is no reason to think that this is what happens after loss of input to the brain through HL.
      I really wonder why this " works only/best for people who can manipulate their T through neck movement!" etc..
      Hopefully many people with (proven)noice induces HL will be part of the next trial.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    10. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      Can someone tell me how it takes 15 years to get to human trials?
      What is so different with Shore's mp3 to what has already been in trials before?
      Is it just media hype?

11. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      All the research I guess. We're doing human trials and the last one before seeking FDA approval is this August.

The difference is that Susan shore is using a bimodal hearing and somatic stimulation system. Meaning she hooks up a device that stimulates the muscle that modulates tinnitus, while using a sound source.

• Like Like x 1
    12. jay777

jay777 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      benzo/ headphones
      • Like Like x 1
    13. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      I honestly have no clue what you are saying. Or even what you trying to say...

The following explains how the joint mechanisms in tinnitus perception arise in the model that the Shore team has developed a bi-modal stimulation device for:

"The process begins when excessive noise damages nerve fibers in the cochlea, reducing the amount of sound information sent to the brain. In turn, the fusiform cells try to compensate. To make up for the diminished
      auditory signal they’re receiving, fusiform cells draw increased input from somatosensory regions in the head and neck. The cells become hyperactive and synchronize, sending persistent signals that the brain interprets as sound."

It is for this reason that I believe (as stated yesterday) that the treatment is for those who have somatosensory tinnitus as a symptom (and not an etiology). As such – at least according to what I know – the treatment could span multiple etiologies (incl. those with tinnitus due to noise exposure). All that is required is that the participants can modulate their tinnitus using applied pressure to the jaw region. Or something along those lines...

• Like Like x 1
    14. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Well no but it's a similar concept. This is focused on the DCN. There's recently been a study suggesting that VN stimulation is somewhat effective, so if it's similar, then that's good because it shows that we may see some good success.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @attheedgeofscience My post above was directed to @Jiri on how the New University of Michigan study outcomes may be helpful with cervical trauma. Jiri and myself had many conversations about cause and management of cervical trauma. Jiri's 'start a conversation' feature isn't in use at this time.

'Chapter 4 Cervical Spine Trauma' is a good education for those with physical neck problems. If you turn to this article and read 'Case Management and Prognosis' then you'll understand how Susan Shore's methods of discussion may help some with cervical problems.

There's many of us here who have a good understanding within a particular area of tinnitus. @Michael Leigh has an excellent understanding of audiology and hearing etc; @GregCA has an excellent understanding of the functions of the ear etc; @glynis has an excellent understanding of Meniere's and etc; I would like to think that I have a good understanding of cervical T and the in's and out's of the medical care system within the area where I live, but that understanding may not be universal. With that, I appreciate your knowledge. None of us knows all.

I appreciate Susan Shore and company for their knowledge.

• Like Like x 3
    16. Hania
      Hurting

Hania Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Guys I have noise induced tinnitus which I can modulate by moving my jaw.

Sadly I don't have a constant tone but different tones.

Do you think I could be in for this device?

17. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      Absolutely. All that matters is that you can modulate it with a specific muscle. If you're really concerned, try to find the muscle in your jaw that you can move to modulate tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Based on the presentation I watched from Susan Shore, I think so.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    19. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      But I do.

All I can say is that I am very grateful that there are people on this site who hold a degree in a medical field and were working as health professionals for many many years such as @Greg Sacramento, and then the positive thinking people who keep us updated on the current research news @threefirefour e.g.

Since my original question has not been answered I guess I'm in the wrong place then and will try to get in touch with the "source" to get info.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from Microsuction
      "Fusiform cells perform several valuable functions under normal conditions. They help us locate where sounds are coming from, and help us tune out noises and sensations related to our own head and neck movements."

This is a quote from the research being done at the University of Michigan. They talk about the fusiform cells being overactive in the dorsal cochlear nucleus after a hearing loss. It makes total sense to me as when I first suffered my acoustic trauma from microsuction I had a lot of difficulty locating where sounds were coming from. I also hear a lot of sounds coming from my head and neck now (cracking neck, ear popping, jaw opening etc). I never heard these sounds before. I still have severe T and H.

Does anyone else experience this and have you found ways to alleviate it? Is there any progress with the research done by the University of Michigan?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What kind of progress are you looking for? They're continuing their research and are recruiting for a new trial for their bi-modal stimulation device.
      What you quote is the basis for their treatment.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      A phase 2 trial is expected to begin this August.

"Published in early January, the findings prompted an outpouring from people interested in the next clinical trial, set to start in August. “We’ve received about 2600 emails,” Shore noted. Despite the interest, the upcoming trial can accommodate only 50 participants.

The upcoming trial in August, which received funding from the National Institutes of Health’s Brain Initiative, will administer the treatment a bit longer, perhaps 6 weeks instead of 4 or a longer duration per day, Shore said.

For now, the human findings are preliminary and the device is experimental, although the University of Michigan holds a patent on the concept. “We don’t have an end product just yet,” she noted. “But for the next trial we’re having devices made that will be FDA-compliant.”

"How long might it take before a commercial product is on the market?At least a couple of years,” Shore said. “I can’t predict the future, so we’ll just have to wait and see.”
      https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2675187

(Didn't I post this in the support forum? Anyway, sorry for double posting this!)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
      • Like Like x 2
    23. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I was just wondering if they have a timescale for their research. I'm not in the US so doubt I'd qualify for their new trial. For me what they are claiming makes complete sense.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Blue28
      Doubtful

Blue28 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks @Autumnly... You just beat me to it with your reply.

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. GregCA
      Jaded

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      There is a full thread dedicated to them. You'll find tons of stuff related to them in there.

• Like Like x 2
    26. razo

razo Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Audio exposure
      I forwarded my idea to the company and got an appreciative answer from their Chief research and development officer. They will look into the suggestion and see if this can be an application for their CG-01.
      I have also referred to these two videos:

Comment: the videos do not seem to be avaible via this website.

• Like Like x 2
    27. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      The reason can be seen in this diagram. T which passes through the Dorsal Cochlear Nucleus can be of somatic or otic origin. However, the reason they are testing this T is because it can be accessed through a somatic pathway regardless. Follow the map. For the 20 percent of T which goes through the ventral cochlear nucleus, researchers are unsure. But this is how you frame up a study. I hope this helps clarify.

for tt.JPG

• Informative Informative x 5
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    28. brummygirl
      Cheerful

brummygirl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      clenching jaw while weightlifting
      @kelpiemsp thank you so much for posting the diagram above. Extremely interesting. Did you put it together or can we see it in situ somewhere else?

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      • Helpful Helpful x 4
    30. kelpiemsp
      Swamped