Ototoxic Drugs: Drugs That Cause Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by calin, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      All things between the outermost planet in our galaxy and tellus can create T. I think this drug lead is prove of that. In other words its a bit over the top.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. Jake123

Jake123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Naproxen made my tinnitus worse. I took only one 500 mg tablet. I will never ever take this medicine again.

It has been now 5 days after taking the medicine and irritation has decreased a little. I still hope it settles at the normal levels, which was somewhat bearable.

So be careful with Naproxec (Pronaxen). If you consider taking it, I suggest you to reconsider, or to start with a very low dosage.

I have been very careful e.g. with loud noises because of tinnitus and can't come up with any other reason for the exacerbation than Naproxen.

3. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      • Like Like x 1
    4. Neenie
      Depressed

Neenie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      I don't know much about this but can ototoxic drugs give you a hearing loss (outer hair cell damage) and therefore you are more likely to experience tinnitus or does it directly give you tinnitus? And if so, is it reversible once you stop taking them?

5. Valentin

Valentin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      17/08/2013
      As it is not at the moment possible to view the hair cells expt with an autopsy of a dead body, i really wonder how they came to the conclusion a medecine could be ototoxic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Stina
      Psychedelic

Stina Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/13
      Probably by testing on animals.

7. George Brady
      Crappy

George Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      bad meds
      I took naproxen for 22days made mine worse been 2 months and it been really loud

8. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Alex Senkowski Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I take cipralex and clonazepam. Are those safe?

9. George Brady
      Crappy

George Brady Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      bad meds
      I've taken clonazepam before never hurt me.helped take the edge off

10. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      If Cipralex is similar to Lexapro, it may be ototoxic. You might want to check with your pharmacist to find out for sure.

11. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I'll ask my shrink about it tomorrow.

12. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks, Alex,

I'd like to hear what he has to say about it. I hope it's not ototoxic, so you can continue taking it!! Have you noticed any difference in your tinnitus since you began taking it?

13. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Uh, Karen, I just checked and Cipralex and Lexapro are the same drug.

14. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, some say that Lexapro is ototoxic. I still think it's a good idea to check with your doctor and/or your pharmacist to be sure. As long as your tinnitus has not gotten worse, you're probably OK.

15. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    16. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Just to restate my situation, I have bilateral otosclerosis and the T is prominent in my right ear which was subject to a failed stapedectomy. In my left ear, the T is almost negligible. My audiologist has no problems with me using cipralex.

17. Beth
      Inspired

Beth Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      quite a while...
      Hi, I didn't know most cortisone creams were ototoxic! I use them sometimes as I have dermatitis.....should I stop using it and will stopping use of the cream reduce tinnitus or do steroid/cortisone creams make it permanent?

18. Alex Senkowski
      Inactive

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Thanks for the link, hopefully I'm not part of that 0.01% that experiences ototoxicity from cipralex/lexapro.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      About a week ago I took my last Calan (on the list for BP) and something wonderful happened. Just before noon, when my T always seemed to 'kick in,' it didn't. It stayed low and since then I've been feeling a lot better not hearing my T all day. My BP was only ever slightly elevated and I knocked it down with intense exercise. So thank you Calan for lowering my blood pressure but darn you for getting in my head.

20. gary
      Transparent

gary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who Knows
      IWLM, that's great news!!!

21. Marias21
      Busy

Marias21 Member

Cause of Tinnitus:
      allergies
      I was prsicrbe Cleatin for my etd alog with flonase will this increase my chances of permanent t

22. Zimichael

Zimichael Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      (1956) > 1980 > 2006 > 2012 > (2015)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ac. Trauma & Ac.Trauma + Meds.
      I've been sick for two weeks with a creeping cold/flu/congestion, so totally out of it...finally having to take antibiotics which scares the hell out of me due to the "bad history" I have with that lot. Chose Doxycycline as Azithromycin is super effective but it makes my ringing even more crazy in about 15 minutes. No way I will touch that one again!!! Anyway, recovering enough to pass this along as it is excellent.

A nurse friend with tinnitus sent me this article and list of ototoxic drugs c/o Italian update on the whole subject. It's a bit long but no wasted garbage in my reading. Good solid review and a clear call to doctors worldwide to be more aware of the ototoxic dangers of many, many drugs commonly prescribed. There is then a comprehensive list of a LOT of meds/drugs. Most everything of note is in there, or in the added sub-indexes at the bottom. In the main list, remember that a "1" is the worst and a "4" is the least ototoxic. The results match my own extensive research over the years on this subject better than most lists I have seen.

http://www.europeanreview.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/956.pdf

I did a search on here (TT) to see if someone had posted it already, but found no matches for the title. It looks like it is from 2011 and updated from their definitive list of 2005. So this is probably as good as we are going to get for now. Apologies though if someone posted this already.

best, Zimichael

• Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    23. mikey13
      Mellow

mikey13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/ 2014
      My last question for today - I promise!

I'm going to the ENT tomorrow,and since I'm still having sinus issues,I'm sure he'll want to give me something. I do know that certain drugs out there make tinnitus worse,and was wondering if there's a comprehensive list anyone knows of that has all the (currently known) drugs that cause this? specifically the antibiotics,in case they want to prescribe me one,so I can throw it back at them that I want to try something else if it's caused problems for other T. sufferers.

24. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Screen Shot 2014-02-11 at 1.36.49.png

Source

Mention to your ENT that you are worried about the drug's (whatever he prescribes) ototoxic effects and that could he kindly check out that they are safe to take.

25. mikey13
      Mellow

mikey13 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/ 2014
      Thanks again!

Holy Jeez... seems like everything out there is ototoxic!

26. Quentino
      Tired

Quentino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Decrease of Hearing i presume.
      Is bethamethasone ototoxic? Or alprazolam?

27. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      How about a list of drugs and alternatives that are not known to be ototoxic?

28. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      That would be a short list. Almost every drug has tinnitus listed as a possible side effect. Many drugs also list dry mouth, fatigue, headaches etc as possible side effects. That doesn't mean everyone will get them. And that doesn't mean not taking them. If you need to take meds for a medical condition or for a life saving circumstance, you need to take them regardless of what they might or might not do. This is something your doctor should help you with. All drugs have risks. You have to weigh the risks vs. the consequences of not taking it.

When people speak of avoiding ototoxic drugs, you mainly want to be careful with the heavy ototoxic drugs such as certain antibiotics, diuretics, chemo drugs, Quinine drugs etc which are known to cause hearing damage in some people, but not everyone. Common drugs such as aspirin, Ibuprofin etc are listed as possibly causing hearing loss & tinnitus but that is usually at max doses for long periods of times. And any effects you might experience from these drugs is usually reversible once you stop taking them. I know someone who developed tinnitus for 8 months after stopping an anti-depressant. Then one day it stopped.

There are even instances where people participating in studies and prescribed the placebo (usually a sugar pill) complained of tinnitus as a side effect as well. Goes to show you never know what the cause of your tinnitus may or may not be or if it was some other reason or no reason at all. Caffeine is listed as ototoxic, as is Vicks Vapor Rub and Alcohol....and the list goes on.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    29. Susan B

Susan B Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6-months ago, I woke with tinnitus in one ear and significant loss of smell/taste. I had a MRI, which showed no tumors, and I saw two ENT's at Mayo-Dr. Breen and Dr. O'brien. Hearing test showed mod-severe loss. The ENT doctors set me up to see a Neurologist since is seems two nerve passages are affected. If you have any experience or knowledge of this condition please respond. I don't take any medications known to cause T.

30. Hab
      Curious

Hab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I was given Betazol G cream which has among its ingredients gentamicin 0.1% and Betamethasone Dipropionate 0.05% and also Miconazole Nitrate 2%. I was also given by another doctor Otocol ear drops for the same condition, this one has Benzocaine and Chloramphenicol. Any advice on these is appreciated, which is better or less toxic to take and if they are really bad what can I take instead for an infection in the ear canal? Thanks again for your replies