Ototoxic Drugs: Drugs That Cause Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by calin, Jun 18, 2012.

1. Falconfox
      Paranoid

Falconfox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/01/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew, possibly nosie damage.
      @erik
      I know this is a pretty old post but it was the only one I found that dealt with topical steroids being ototoxic. Everything I have read indicates that at most they can induce vertigo (specifically I was looking for Triamcinolone acetonide). Do you remember where you heard or found this?

2. Beste
      Disappointed

Beste Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo/Clonazepam, Stress
      I'm using Serouel for years but I'm a newbie on 100mg dose(almost 9 weeks) Can it be the cause of my T?

3. Hotaru
      Depressed

Hotaru Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12-15-15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      URI/ETD
      It doesn't make sense that after I stopped taking Zoloft I get tinnitus. I'm still unsure of the cause, although I'm pretty sure it was because of the upper respiratory infection and ear infection I got.

4. JasonP
      No Mood

JasonP Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2006

There is reports on the internet that Lexapro has caused tinnitus too and it is listed on rxlist.com that "ringing in your ears" is a "less serious side effect"

5. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Phenergan makes my T disappear for hours even though it is supposedly ototoxic. As an antihistamine it reduces inflammation which I believe is behind a lot of tinnitus.

6. EddieMar
      Wishful

EddieMar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew
      I took Zoloft for 5 years, I quit cold turkey, this was in 2007 when I quit. I haven't taken it in 10 years. I developed Tinnitus last year. Could Zoloft be the cause of Tinnitus 10 years laters?

7. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Doubt it. 10 years is a long time, the drugs will be long out of your system and surely any withdrawals would have been felt many years ago by now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Did your T go away whenever you restarted Zoloft? If you have I mean

9. Paul10

Paul10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Yup. Seems like everything brings on T. I think this points to T being primarily in the brain, and how we think really does cause physical effects. If you focus on your fingertip enough and genuinely imagine a pain in it, you'll probably eventually start to feel something. Some say everything from alcohol to valium to mdma causes T, others say it takes theirs away or lessens it. If it was cut and dry we'd all have the same effects.

10. EddieMar
      Wishful

EddieMar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wish I knew
      I just bought a 798 page PDF 'book' listing all (maybe mostly all) ototoxic drugs -

"Ototoxic Drugs Exposed (3rd Edition): The Shocking Truth About Prescription Drugs, Medications, Chemicals and Herbals That Can (and Do) Damage Our Ears"

I wouldn't mind sharing it if anyone is interested, just shoot me a private message with your email and I'll send it out. It's 4MB.

11. Zok

Zok Member

Tinnitus Since:
      not sure, likely 10+years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      don't know maybe loud sounds
      I wonder which drugs are not ototoxic especially antibiotics usable for eliminating helico-bactery.

12. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      before you go too nuts chasing down drugs for GERD symptoms, I would read this whole series; this kept me away from PPIs and antibiotics etc. It's a little woo and I make no claims that this will work for everyone, but it's fairly harmless to try...
      https://chriskresser.com/what-everybody-ought-to-know-but-doesnt-about-heartburn-gerd/

13. coldroses
      Sleepy

coldroses Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck injury from pedestrian accident with car
      Has anyone had any experience with Lyrica (pregabalin) making tinnitus worse? Due to chronic neck pain suspected to be nerve-related, I was prescribed Lyrica two weeks ago and now have a drastic spike in tinnitus. I've come off what I was taking (50mg per day) to see if it indeed may have been the Lyrica tablets.

14. Zok

Zok Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I do have GERD, but this is due to stomach hernia, and I hope sugery would be able to fix it. I do not plan to take those medications.

However, this doesn't have anything to do with gerd, it is for helicobacteries. And i need some kind of antibiotics if I want to get rid of it.

15. Zok

Zok Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For pain I use meloxicame in small doses sometimes and it doesn't seem to cause any problem so far.

• Like Like x 1
    16. coldroses
      Sleepy

coldroses Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck injury from pedestrian accident with car
      Is that for nerve pain specifically?

17. Zok

Zok Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No it is for pain in general.

18. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      the list is not complete. Blood pressure meds etc.

19. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      "Only a few drugs are ototoxic!" Is this a generalization in its entirety?

20. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      wow... that's a deep neurological issue to lose both hearing and olfaction.

@JohnAdams

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    21. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Were you taking any medications????

22. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      If alcohol & caffeine was indeed "ototoxic", than everybody in the world would suffer from tinnitus, hyperacusis, hearing loss and so on...
      (...which would be a "positive" thing, because it would not be a rare disease, thus we would have all the big pharma guys' working their asses for us)

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. RishRamsey
      Doubtful

RishRamsey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stupid DJ
      What about Singulair (Montekulast)? I take it for Asthma. Any ideas anyone?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    24. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
    25. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      A "short list." Sure. It's pretty much every OTC medication in a pharmacy whether it's treating the common cold or a headache.

26. BillB1234

BillB1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Computer monitors squealing, high-pitched electronics
      Wanted to add my experience with Topamax (Topiramate). I've been taking Topamax pills @ 75 mg daily for the past 4 years. Up to that dosage it never seemed to affect my tinnitus at all. (I take it for headaches caused by eyestrain in one eye and occasionally leaning on that nerve wrong in my neck.)

However, after about 9 months of using it, my doctor increased my dosage from 75 mg to 100 mg. THAT absolutely caused tinnitus side effects (along with several other side effects such as dizziness and some GI problems). However, the tinnitus it caused was different: my normal T is a high-pitched constant ringing (has been for many many years); the T that the increased Topamax dosage caused was more of a roaring or whooshing noise (along with my normal ringing noise, although the whooshing was louder). Nothing else changed then except for the Topamax dosage, so the tinnitus change was absolutely caused by the increased Topamax dosage.

We reduced my Topamax from 100 mg daily back to my previous 75 mg daily and the "whooshing" tinnitus went away almost immediately (by the next day or so), leaving just my "normal" ringing tinnitus behind.

27. 5atoshi

5atoshi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      You forgot to add Flintstone vitamins.