Post Your Current Medication / Supplement Stack

Discussion in 'Support' started by GBB, Jan 10, 2021.

1. lis

lis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      severe 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Reading your response is super helpful because my daily horror of symptoms and the robbery of quality of life sounds similar, and yet, I see how well you're functioning in auditory (and visual) Hell with its unavoidable loads of depression and anxiety. You're definitely coping better and rehabilitating the nervous system by doing meaningful value-adding activities with work, research, and of course being the brilliant go-to guru here for all of us sufferers. I'll incorporate the DARE methods (amidst my ongoing desperations in therapy) to tamper down the panic.

Given you're determined to put your neuroimmune profile in as favorable of a state as possible with supplements/self-calm for good things to come, I am highly curious which of the regenerative treatments/interventions you may be planning to try when they're available?

Contributing to the main topic while I'm at it:
      Medication/Supplement Stack
      Ginkgo Biloba
      Turmeric
      NAC
      Taurine
      Vitamin B12
      Magnesium Glycinate
      Fish Oil
      Probiotics
      Clonazepam 0.5mg PRN
      Gabapentin 900mg (discontinuued)

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Reactivity and the slight pain I had.

3. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I will definitely try both FX-322 and OTO-413 when they come out. I would probably give Ebselen a go, too, but anything systemic, I want to wait to see if it affects people with visual snow adversely first as mine is already bad. If nothing helps (because high dose, prolonged Azithromycin not only kills hair cells it also destroys the Na/K channels in the stria), I'm not sure what to live for. I have no family (my father would have been very understanding but he passed away years ago), no kids, my husband left. No career. I'm not saying I will survive this in that case but I want to give myself the best shot at it.

I should add though that one huge advantage I had even when my tinnitus was so loud only a hair dryer next to my ear could mask it was that I'm borderline narcoleptic when I'm super tired.

What I mean is my body just shuts off, and I can be sound asleep in seconds no matter how loud the noise or what else is going on. I even fell sound asleep at a concert once. I can't at all drive when I am tired either.

Anyway, I have no doubt getting good sleep was helpful in getting my neurotransmitters to a better state (I'm still extremely depressed but not nearly as highly anxious) and I think that might be part of why my tinnitus was reduced to moderate from severe (though acute tinnitus sometimes does that on its own, mine went from mild to severe, then to moderate where it stayed). In that sense i knew I had some daily escape.

I wish there was a better sleep aid for tinnitus sufferers who don't have my sleep physiology. I was reading on another thread that some people have had good luck with Dayvigo.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      @GBB, or anyone else who tried Keepra for that matter:

Is it likely that the reactivity, which I believe is a subset of hyperacusis, will be back as soon as Keppra is discontinued? Or is it possible it can lead to permanent change, for the better, after "treatment" with Keppra?

What are the most common side effects? And for how long is it safe to use it?

5. Aaron91
      Gloomy

Aaron91 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/headphones/concerts - Hyperacusis from motorbike
      Have you had any results with this so far?

6. __nico__
      No Mood

__nico__ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      chemo/barotrauma/noise/autoimmune disorder
      Dude. Please report if you've got any benefits from this so far.

7. DingDong

DingDong Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      How long will you be trying this?

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wish I had an answer for you but I’m not omniscient. This is all trial and error.
      I’ll take the Psilocybin as long as the dosage lasts and I don’t experience adverse events. If I dose at 100mg and buy 2g, and take it every other day, let’s say 40 days. My friend flaked again so still waiting. I can’t drive so it’s tough.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Aquaticon

Aquaticon Guest

Were you ever able to try this? I was curious about the effects shrooms might have as well.

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      My friend actually flaked on me so am looking elsewhere for a hookup. I'm still planning on trying hut getting stuff during COVID-19 when I can’t drive due to my ears is tough.

11. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      Have you ever tripped before?

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No but I am planning on 200mg every couple of days as opposed to 5g.

13. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      Okay. FYI, if you are prone to panic attacks, I recommend being with someone who will keep things light. Shrooms are much more than hallucinations. I did not enjoy them at all, although it was unbelievable when the sink was breathing.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    14. Jcmc

Jcmc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very Loud Headphones!
      Dayvigo is good for long term?

15. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I have no personal experience with it but some people report good things on the Dayvigo thread.

16. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know the legal status where you are, but have you experimented with cannabis? A number of people I know have resolved long standing sleep issues with nearly sub-psychoactive doses of THC.

A friend who lives in SF, who really doesn't like pot at all, takes mints that are, I believe, 2.5mg of THC and says it has improved his sleep onset time and quality amazingly. (For comparison, 15-20mg might be a normal psychoactive dose for someone without much tolerance, and I personally can trivially eat 250mg and be fine).

I've found that cannabis, as a sleep aid, is more effective for me than anything else, OTC, prescription, illicit, etc. An amusing and slightly terrifying aside to this: I know from doing both withdrawals, that THC will absolutely let me get through benzo withdrawal end to end and have something resembling normal sleep the whole time, but, conversely, when I withdraw from THC, I just get a solid 2 weeks of intense insomnia that nothing touches, including a benzo.

This doesn't really alarm me, though, because it's the only significant side effect of THC cessation, and, having been through this many times, it's always 4 days of bad sleep, 11-14 days of almost no sleep, and then ZAP, I am back to my normal-but-typically-shitty sleep patterns.

My sleep patterns have been messed up since I was 12 or so, I didn't discover cannabis until I was 18, and any time I cease using it, I fall back into exactly the same kind of broken sleep I had from the ages of 12-18.

Lemborexant (Dayvigo) is an orexin receptor target drug; these things are quite interesting to me but I'm waiting for another 10-20 years of human use data before I'd do more than get my toes wet. Messing with this specific ligand is a very new idea.

EDIT: weed can absolutely spike the shit out of my tinnitus but it generally doesn't unless I take a substantial dose with no tolerance, and, to the extent that routine nightly doses spike my ringing, I don't notice it because I sleep in a silent room where basically all I can hear is the tinnitus anyway, and the positive effects on sleep outweigh anything that might happen there. Also, it's totally unpredictable, I have had my ears go near-silent a few times after cannabis ingestion, sure wish that was reliable ;)

• Like Like x 1
    17. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      If anyone here's in Canada and looking for shrooms, they are now very easy to obtain here. Quite a few MoM sites have expanded into carrying Psilocybin products. Chocolates, gummies, capsules, as well as the real thing.

• Informative Informative x 2
    18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Did the law change? My brother lives in Vancouver and said the same thing.

19. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      I don't think so, I think everyone just realized if we've been getting away with sending skunk in the mail for 20 years (vacuum sealed of course) then shrooms are childs play, hahaha.

• Funny Funny x 1
    20. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Does this also imply distortions on real sounds?

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it reduced a % of the distortion or reactivity - it used to be an incoming noise would cause me to hear lots of accompanying, not real noise, now that is reduced somewhat, whatever it would be called.

22. DreiT
      Paranoid

DreiT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo caffeine insomnia earbuds
      Anyone get a spike with Magnesium? I know it's unusual but I have tried it twice and the tinnitus spiked both times.

23. tracyNYC
      Frustrated

tracyNYC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2009-2020 habituated; 1/2021 - severe
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise; hearing loss
      Yes, I tried Magnesium Glycinate a few times and gave up after spiking. I wanted so bad to use it for sleep.

24. DreiT
      Paranoid

DreiT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo caffeine insomnia earbuds
      That was the Magnesium I took. I spiked from Magnesium Citrate and Epsom salt baths. I should have learned my lesson and not take Magnesium ever.

Drinking loads of water now to flush it out. I don't even know if that works to get it out of my system.

25. racedy

racedy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection and possibly noise over time
      What form of Valerian are you using? I've only used it in tincture form and I couldn't tell if it was the grain alcohol or the Valerian that helped me sleep. I haven't used it for sleep for over a decade, but am thinking it couldn't hurt.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    26. racedy

racedy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection and possibly noise over time
      @GBB, microdosing on shrooms is supposed to help?

I agree that you should have someone with you that you absolutely trust, and be in an environment you feel good and safe in. With a small dose like that though, I don't anticipate things getting too weird. I used to get synesthesia on them, so you might want to know how you can perceive sounds differently, but in a really cool way in my book. Mostly I like how they totally changed the way I perceived things, and also how much they would make me laugh at everything, including my own neuroses. I bet it would change my relationship to tinnitus. I have often thought of doing them to address my anxiety, but I don't feel I am mentally prepared for that yet. I haven't seriously considered them for tinnitus until your post. Or ever thought of microdosing.

Good luck and please let us know how it goes.

27. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It was tincture, you can get it in Glycerin if you don't want the alcohol.

• Like Like x 1
    28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I haven't been able to get any yet - the guy who was going to help me flaked and I don't leave the house much, but I'm sure I'll try it at some point.

29. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Me again,

I see you are taking Cytokine Suppress by Life Extension. I have recently ordered that one for my joint pain. Has it had any impact on your tinnitus or hyperacusis?

30. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      In combination with Palmitoylethanolamide it seems to help both a smidge. It definitely doesn't spike me or make it worse.