Retigabine (Trobalt, Potiga) — General Discussion

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Mpt, Jun 10, 2014.

1. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Has anyone made a combination of retigabine + flupirtine ?
      For example one pill 400 mg in the morning flupirtine + 200mg retigabine the afternoon + 200mg retigabine before sleep

2. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      How does Retigabine work. Does it work to cure Tinnitus or alleviate the symptoms.
      Do you have to take it consistently etc etc? How safe is it on the liver and kidney?
      Thank you...

3. Albertus
      Killer

Albertus Member

Too much load to the liver, both drugs are contraindicated for use simultaneously. Flupirtine also recommended so taken for 2 weeks at most. That would result in hemodialysis treatment for life.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Mark McDill
      Curious

Mark McDill Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely stress, anxiety, an antibiotic and nsaids

Ruben
      Retigabine (like Trobalt) is an anti-seizure drug that works as a potassium channel inhibitor (I'm not a pharmacist or chemist, that's just what I've been told and what I've learned with a little research). Since your inner ear hairs cells transform the audio energy into neuro-electrical data via the select passage of potassium ions, then it also acts as an inhibitor to what may be hyperactivity in your cochlea (and, in theory, decreasing or mitigating T). One theory is that neuronal hyperactivity in the dorsal cochlear nucleus is a result of damaged inner ear hair cells and, therefore, one etiology of T.

Is it a cure? That's a 100 million dollar question. T has many etiologies and pathologies; so it might work for you (for example) but not for me (if our specific T varies in cause and mechanics). Furthermore, it may actually mitigate yours (for example) or it may just decrease it.

Again, is it a cure? That would be like saying turning up the air conditioner during a heat wave is a cure for an incessant heat wave. It doesn't actually stop the heat wave but it mitigates the perceived sensation of heat. Personally, I would not call it a cure because the underlying (root) cause is not fixed, however, its affect might well be mitigated. So, if you like the air conditioning on a hot day...that's 'cure-like' :LOL:

That being said, some have taken a round of Trobalt and their T is gone; again, I'm not a pharmacist or chemist so the best I can say is 'der uh what?'.

As far as the effects on your liver/kidney I would think not good (it's a powerful pharmaceutical); definitely ask your doc or pharmacist about that.

Anyways, that's what I've learned about it...

Hope that helps

Mark

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      For me flupirtine is better than retigabine
      400mg flupirtine vs 200mg retigabine the difference is huge.
      The morning i had severe T 200mg retigabine did nothing after weared off i got flupirtine and i had mass improvment

6. nills
      Barefooter

nills Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Is flupertine even more side effect prone or more dangerous than RTG? I still havn`t started my rtg treatement ... maybe because I have to try flupertine? Anyone can sketch the guidlines for Flupertine?

7. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Just look in the Flupirtine thread. I think ATEOS have covered pretty much about it. My understanding is that Retigabine have more side effects. Flupirtine have fewer but the ones it have are far more dangerous i.e lethal (liver toxicity).

• Like Like x 1
    8. locoyeti
      Sunshine

locoyeti Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2014
      do you have any proof for this? RTG has had weak evidence of effects on kidneys, and i've not read anything substantial regarding any liver toxicity. RTG breakdown involves glucuronidation which is a liver function, but i've not read anything that would suggest that it is substantially overworking the liver on any of the clinical dosages (up to 400mg TID). i feel that it is at least theoretically possible to try both, at least at small enough dosages. just curious.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. thesaint
      Confused

thesaint Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high pitched fans
      hello locoyeti I've not seen any posts from you lately. How is your tinnitus now after your run of RTG?

10. locoyeti
      Sunshine

locoyeti Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2014
      still have t, but is much lower than before RTG. i have had occasional spikes with H though, which have been bothersome, but they are far less frequent. on my good days i have near silence. i will have a better idea over the next few months if there is continuing improvement but it seems that basically the set point of my t has been shifted much lower. i am tentatively planning another round in November.

i am shifting my attention towards TMJ issues and also researching epilepsy, and this has lead me to not visit the forum as often. i am disappointed that more people have not tried RTG, and that those who do try have not done a good job of reporting their results.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      How about keppra (KV3.1 modulator, same as Autifony's target)+ KV7 trobalt?

Flupirtine is a KV7 modulator as is trobalt, don't see the benefit of mixing the two myself.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    12. thesaint
      Confused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high pitched fans
      @locoyeti this is good news as I am hoping to start a round of RTG very soon. I agree, other than yourself, Juan Carlos and Danny Boy the other trialers have been quite silent and this I believe is the reason that more people have not tried this drug

• Like Like x 1
    13. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm not quiet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. thesaint
      Confused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high pitched fans
      @Danny Boy I know you're not Danny. Other than you, JC, and locoyeti is what I said.

15. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Oh, sorry misread. I'll always come on here, even if I was cured. I mean, others need help and support.

Anyway...People, I may try 400mg of trobalt in the morning and 2 doses of 500mg of keppra.

• Like Like x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    16. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      keppra has unknown mechanism of action also many reports for tinnitus
      from people which have not T before taken keppra.
      So be careful because may have worsening with keppra.

If you are totally silent with 400mg trobalt + cats claw why you search other drugs ?
      Or the silence was only once you got cats claw ?

I get silence (0/10) only with corticosteroids with retigabine/flupirtine i get only reduction

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Keppra is purely for my hyperacusis...How does corticosteroids silence your tinnitus?

18. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Demonstrated the role of the KV7 channels in the induction of tinnitus in the mouse dorsal cochlear nucleus model, and showed that retigabine may prevent the development of tinnitus. We estimated the therapeutic potential of Kþ channel openers in suppressing tinnitus-like activity by quantifying the responses in the auditory cortical networks. Retigabine had the highest therapeutic potential, with a therapeutic concentration of 7.4 mM – a concentration at which counteraction against induced- hyperactivity were effective – followed by NS1619 (15.2 mM), flupir- tine (23.3 mM), and isopimaric acid (30.0 mM). These values were well within the range of their effective concentrations against epilepsy (3–100 mM; Kobayashi et al., 2008), thus, possible off-label treatment for tinnitus is plausible (and safe). Clinical studies had calculated the free brain concentration of retigabine taken at 1200 mg/day to be

19. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      @locoyeti

Many of us would take it if we could get our hands on it.
      For some of us it's mission impossible!

Great news from you though, hope it continues to improve!
      And yes, it would be great to hear from others about their experiences.

• Agree Agree x 4
    20. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      Agreed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. lapidus

lapidus Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      What happened to our first female trialee @Lake Girl ? She did start RTG and made one report but then she disappeared.

22. Juan Carlos
      Whistles

Juan Carlos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      I think that could be a side effect of Trobalt, I realize, there were some very active people in the forum before trying RTG and after that they kind of disappear
      RTG puts you in a state of happyness and careless on wich u dont care so much about things (about T included). So maybe they dont feel this 'obligation' to report as they should.

I have to say, after being totally off, 2 some weeks T was kind of back with revenge, but last week has been really low, so maybe there was kind of reboud effect, but now that rebound is gone, i can feel better some permanent changes in lowering T due to Trobalt. For sure now im more habituated and i dont think so much about it as before, i have a nearly same life as i had before T came to me.
      I have to mention also that last week i was taking cats claw + Clinadil + Nootropil, i dont know if this influencied in my T level perception or woulded be the same.
      I have taken Clinadil and also Nootropil before with no changes in my T, so I guess that last weeks lowering has nothing to do with it but i will keep taking it just in case

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    23. Sharpfire
      No Mood

Sharpfire Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Has anyone managed to get this without a prescription?. I just want to be able to finish my degree without constantly losing motivation due to T. Final exams in 6 weeks :/

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    24. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      @Juan Carlos How you get minoxidil pills or topical shampoo ?
      This drug is for hair loss..
      If someone T getting better there are high posibility not returning to forum

25. Juan Carlos
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      LoL i dont have hair loss luckily, wich one do you refer? Clinadil is spanish brand for Cinnarizine http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnarizine and Nootropil is Piracetam, its a nootropic

26. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      @Juan Carlos you are right i read wrong maybe i was stoned from RTG+flupirtine
      Anyway from wikipedia for minoxidil

27. Juan Carlos
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      For one second I thought you were hit too hard by RTG posting an anti hair loss info but, then a read that its a potassium channel opener wooow, seems potentially usefull for tinnitus. Did some body try??
      it also lowers blood pressure so it may help some Ts. On its beginnings it was just a vasodilator, so prevent hair loss is just a secondary effect.
      Rogaine is the commercial brand. Im pretty sure is easy to buy in spain, but it has some many side effects so i will think seriously about trying it. Ironically one of the side effects is loss of hair
      EDIT: I read in some other web that it CAN cause tinnitus http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/news/article.asp?CopyID=1537 so im surely not taking a mg

28. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      Yes has T as side effect not useful for T.
      But yes i was hit strongly from RTG+flupirtine..

• Like Like x 1
    29. Juan Carlos
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2014
      how is this combo working ? did u find some antidote for flupirtine liver toxicity? how long have u been taking it? liver toxicity scares me so much

30. Stink

Stink Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2000
      isn't liver toxicity temporary? when you stop medicine, it goes away?