Scared, and Losing Hope Fast...

Discussion in 'Support' started by cviechec, Aug 18, 2017.

1. cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      It all started at the end of May when I took too much Ibuprofen via the recommendation of a friend of mine who's a med student. I was a complete idiot and didn't look into side fx.

It'll go away, they said. It's rare that Ibuprofen can cause permanent tinnitus, they said. Well, here I am, almost at month 3 and it's roaring uncontrollably right now. It's definitely worse right now than when it started (may be just a spike, I have no idea).

I've tried everything under the sun to alleviate it. If it's a vitamin or supplement that is effective in helping with tinnitus, I've tried it or am actively taking it.

Meditation, HBOT (only 5 sessions cause I'm broke), Ginkgo, NAC, Masking aids that aren't effective..

At the current noise level combined with my mental strength, I don't see myself habituating, ever. It's too loud at it's worst. Maybe I can hold out hope that it will at least reduce to an acceptable level for me.

I woke today, and for the first time in my 25 years on this planet, thought to myself

"If I had a light switch that could end my life, I would hit it right now with no hesitation."

Edit: Been to a GP and an ENT since onset, nothing helpful there.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @cviechec,
      Ask your doctor about low dose Nortryptaline as can help reduce tinnitus for some people.
      Keep relaxing sound on around you.
      Love glynis x

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      I'll do some research, I would love to get on an anti-depressant, but I haven't wanted to take any pills since this nightmare started from fear of worsening or adversely affecting the condition.

4. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Give it a bit of time and see how your tinnitus situation goes. Your volume/intensity might go lower. Stress also contributes, a lot to tinnitus. I know that you are in a shock, please try to relax a little. The stress can bring on tinnitus and increase the levels of the sounds as well.

Do understand, that meds have side effects. If you accept that, then go for it. I wish you the best in your journey and don't give up....

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      Also, the only place I find solace right now is video games (with a headset). Do I need to give that up or just listen/play at acceptable levels..

6. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I'd get rid of the headset. That doesn't help with the tinnitus at all.

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. Fangen
      Moonlighting

Fangen Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      Video games is probably the best thing that have helped me. It speeded up my habituation and made me forget it for hours. Dont use headphones due to both that it tires out your ears but also because you hear you T more from using it as it locks the outside noise out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      May I ask you how much of it you ended up taking?

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      Was around 2800 mg a day for 3 or 4 days

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      Sigh. Not looking forward to losing the headset but I know I should..

11. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      HI @cviechec
      Tinnitus and headphones/headsets don't go well together and your tinnitus is likely to get worse. If you have been using headphones regularly before the onset of your tinnitus, then I suspect it was headphones that caused your tinnitus and not the Ibuprofen. Although the Ibuproften could have made it more prominent but I think the tinnitus was lying dormant, in the background just waiting for the opportunity to break out which it did.

Please read my article : Tinnitus, A Personal View, in my "started threads" you may find it helpful.
      All the best
      Michael

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      I wasn't using headphones at all when tinnitus started, I was actually out of town. I've been a gamer my whole life with headphones, but my T started from taking Ibuprofen nearly a week after I was out of town/hadn't been using headphones.

13. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      You are misunderstanding me @cviechec Headphone use and loud noise are the most common cause of tinnitus. I believe your tinnitus was there lying dormant and the Ibuprofen brought it out and made it more noticeable.
      Take care and I suggest you read my article and stop using headphones even at low volume
      Michael

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      I'll stop. I'm wondering if I may notice a slight improvement if I give up headphones all-together for a full month. If I do not, I'll probably go back to using them at low/safe volumes.

15. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Please be advised and I'm warning you for your own good. Stop using headphones all together never use them again, as your tinnitus, in my opinion will get worse. Read some of the posts in this forum from people that developed tinnitus because of headphone use, then went back to using them. The tinnitus got a lot worse. I don't want to frighten you but those things are dangerous. I truely believe your tinnitus has been there for a long time lying dormant.

Take care.
      Michael

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      I really don't understand the concept of "lying dormant".

If there's any scientific basis for x medicine "activating" tinnitus, I'd be more inclined to see your point. But I do agree that headphones are risky 100% and have the capacity exacerbate or cause T.

Then again, many people use headphones at healthy/safe levels and are completely fine.

Maybe some people like myself are just more susceptible, don't know.

17. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Have it your way. I only have 21 years experience and counsel people with this horrible condition. Science has nothing to do with tinnitus as it's not something that can be measured or seen.
      I wish you well.
      Michael

18. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      It's no crime to want to actually understand what caused your condition, which I personally believe I have.

You seem to think I am being combative when I disagreed slightly with your position, but that wasn't my intention.

19. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Ibuprofen can cause tinnitus and know people and family that it did cause tinnitus for.
      The stronger dose on prescription has more danger to cause it.
      Love glynis x

• Agree Agree x 1
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      Hi glynis, did any of these people experience a reduction eventually, or did it stay at the same tone/worsen?

If you could give me a little more info I would be supremely appreciative..!

21. CrazyT
      Benevolent

CrazyT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doxycycline and Quinine HCL
      Doctors told me the same about quinine. "Oh it will go away in 2 days... 2 weeks..." and now they say "2 months, its just your hair cells flimmering and not permanent." First now after digging into scientific articles do I see treatment for quinine intoxication. They include steroids, activated charcoal, plasma expanders and NAC. I would have gladly given them 1000€ of all my savings just to give it a shot at the time. But no, I have to suffer so they can save a few hundred € and time... Healing it on your own is such a gamble.

• Hug Hug x 1
    22. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I use headphones at reasonable volume for gaming, listening to music, making music, and T sound therapy - as recommended by all my doctors without exception (multiple audiologists, one T expert, multiple ENT doctors, and one neurotologist/surgeon). It has helped me so far.

You will find some people with drastic views on headphones use on the internet.
      If you want advice from professionals, go see professionals.
      I suggest taking internet armchair experts' advice with a grain of salt. Everyone's a self proclaimed expert on the internet. They're often victims of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

• Agree Agree x 2
    23. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Don´t mind him. He comes off as trying to be helpful and caring always pointing you to his proud masterpiece on his own journey with T.

But, if one tries to question, or dare not to agree with anything from his "bible" or holy opinions, be prepared to hear it! Often in a subtle condescending way!

24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      Thanks for your post Greg. I really love my headset because the only place I can forget about tinnitus is playing video games on mic with my friends. I am duly diligent with keeping it at a safe volume (Like i said before, never had T my whole life until the Ibuprofen incident, and i've used headphones since i was 11.)

25. canuhearmenow
      Musical

canuhearmenow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drug Induced
      Video games got me through more hard times than I care to think about. I was able to get into the game to a point where hours passed effortlessly without me noticing it and played from the time I woke up till I fell out from exhaustion.

Though I do use headphones I would not do so if I was younger and did limit myself to how much I used them for a long time. I recommend not using them if you're at all concerned with not making your tinnitus worse than it already is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    26. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Mate you are still in your early stages. You've had it for barely three months, that's nothing. I am sure that in a couple of months you'll be happy once again, I speak off my personal experience. This is still new to you. If you are here in 3-5 months time I really look forward to know how you feel.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      Thank you friend :)

How are you doing, yourself?

28. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Ibruprofin gave 3 of my family members tinnitus.
      Due to taking it long term.
      Love glynis

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      cviechec
      Scared

cviechec Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otc painkillers
      Got it , yeah. I was just wondering if any of their T ever changed in volume over time.

Sucks, cause I never took ibuprofen before it gave me tinnitus. If I did, it was very very rare and in low amounts.

30. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Well after 7-8 months im starting to get a grip of my situation. I enjoy life and live exactly like I did before my T up to 90-95%. Then sometimes the bad days 5% comes and goes away. My situation is also little different because my T comes and goes in phases ...I have no idea why it behaves this way.