Share Your Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccine Experience: Any Impact on Your Tinnitus or Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by teacher34, Jan 3, 2021.

1. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      It's been a week now since receiving the first dose of Pfizer. I still have a new really high pitch tone that constantly wavers with my heartbeat. I'm probably not getting the second dose.

• Agree Agree x 2
    2. Chris S.

Chris S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud sound; Pfizer vaccine
      I got the second Pfizer dose earlier today (10 hours ago). Tinnitus seems a bit worse - it was quite bad already after the first dose and a few other missteps along the way - but seems now somehow more "full-bodied" and more intrusive. Can't really say if the overall volume feels worse - perhaps by a bit. No other symptoms to report except a sore arm (it was the same after the first shot). One thing that I definitely noticed, though, is that putting earplugs now is unpleasant - as I can distinctly hear the tinnitus over most masking noises indoors or outdoors.

I am not sure if getting both jabs was the correct decision, but I feel that COVID-19 may pose even worse risks. The spike caused by the vaccine will, perhaps, eventually subside.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Martin10

Martin10 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud sounds
      Hello everyone. I had my first AstraZeneca vaccine 1 week ago. My tinnitus went up to a higher level that evening and I had difficulty sleeping. The tinnitus then went back to the baseline level the next day. I had no other adverse effects or changes since then.

• Like Like x 3
    4. lee a

lee a Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1990?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I am a 54-year-old male, fit and active. I've had very mild to mild tinnitus as long as I can remember, but with excellent hearing. Typically my tinnitus worsens after loud sound exposure like a rock concert.

Like many, I had a very stressful 2020 due to job situation, but that resolved positively with a new job. I've never noticed tinnitus getting worse due to stress.

I received Moderna #1 on March 5. Sore arm, but no effect on tinnitus.

In late March read the news about Kent Taylor's suicide due to tinnitus as a result of COVID-19. I didn't notice any worsening of my tinnitus at the time.

I received Moderna #2 on April 2. Sore arm, sore joints and muscles for 24 hours, then back to normal. Over the last few days I occasionally noticed the tinnitus is worse; louder on the right side, but not limited to the right side. I perceive about a 20% hearing loss on that right side.

After watching Sound of Metal last night, I became concerned that my tinnitus had increased and my hearing decreased. Started researching and found this site, thank you all. I will report this in VAERS, get a doctor's appointment, and update if my condition changes.

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Like Like x 4
    5. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      No tinnitus increase from my first shot (Moderna). I'm hoping the 2nd dose doesn't increase it either.

I will say that I talked with my ENT recently. He told me that he's seen a major increase in the number SSHL and tinnitus cases in the past year that he believes is due to COVID-19. Other studies have noted that 7-15% of adults that catch COVID-19 report auditory symptoms, the most common being tinnitus:

One year on: an updated systematic review of SARS-CoV-2, COVID-19 and audio-vestibular symptoms

From the limited data I've read regarding the vaccines, tinnitus is reported less than 1% of the time. That doesn't mean it can't happen, and maybe there are a lot more cases that don't get reported.

All the other non-hearing related risks aside, it seems like catching COVID-19 is more likely to cause damage to your auditory system than getting the vaccine.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    6. chinup

chinup Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I received the first dose of Pfizer vaccine on March 25th. Five days later my noise-induced tinnitus spiked horribly. I have several new tones. The first week of the spike was agonizing. I seem to be habituating somewhat now but it definitely hasn’t improved much. My hyperacusis also spiked. My ears feel full and burn.

I will not be getting the second dose and wish I hadn’t gotten the first one either. Gutted. Hoping this isn’t a permanent increase in tinnitus...

• Hug Hug x 7
    7. ZoomDweebie

ZoomDweebie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I received the J&J vaccine on 3/24, and by that evening I had a headache, and my tinnitus was louder than normal. I had mild barely perceptible tinnitus prior to the vaccine. I would normally never notice it during the day, but lying down and going to sleep in a quiet room I would hear it. Constant high pitch but not loud, in the background more. I always run a fan in my bedroom so that I have some white noise and don't hear it. I had the flu like headache from the vaccine for two days and then it slowly started to subside into the weekend. I was tired as well from the immune response.

Five days out, I get out of the shower in the morning, and go to put underarm deodorant on, and notice my left armpit is all bright red. I check my right armpit, just as red... Took photos of the red armpits and shared with some family and friends, as I read on the Internet that there were all kinds of crazy side effects that were possible. The red skin like rash is one of them, although my armpits never itched or burned. I could feel that they were warmer than normal, that was it. It was the 2nd day after my red armpits that my tinnitus ratcheted up to the current level that I am really unhappy with. The red armpits went away within 48 hours, never did anything about the redness, just didn't put underarm deodorant on until it passed.

I am trying to remain hopeful that the level I am dealing with will subside and go back to how it was pre-vaccine. I am seventeen days out from the vaccine, and seriously worried that it could be permanent, and could potentially get worse! I am going to have to report to my doctor, see an ENT, etc. I am 50 years old, and pretty fit although I could stand to lose 25-30 lbs. Wondering if the immune response caused my immune system to damage my auditory nerve, inner ear, whatever part that causes it?

• Hug Hug x 3
    8. astaff14

astaff14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Earwax/Botched Irrigation/Noise Trauma
      I had my 1st Pfizer shot on March 29th, after 2 weeks I haven’t had any noticeable effects on tinnitus. I have a slight spike right now from a super loud restaurant but nothing from first vaccine.

I did get an interesting reaction though where I felt burning from the injection site, down my arm and up my neck.

9. steph33

steph33 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      PTSD with potential underlying inner ear damage?
      I got tinnitus in August 2020 after doing aerobics, which made me very dizzy and then shortly after the ringing started. I had also been going through a long period of intense stress. Several months later, the volume dropped drastically to the point where the tinnitus was so quiet I had to really listen for it in order to hear it. I felt like I had gotten my life back. For those several months I was so much happier.

Then on March 28, 2021 I got the first shot of Moderna and within a few days my tinnitus became markedly louder and intrusive; this spike has held constant for almost two weeks. I read that the inflammation effect from the body's immune response can last up to 4-5 weeks so I am hoping that once the immune response subsides my tinnitus will return to its pre-vaccine level. I am very upset that this happened and scared that it could be permanent. I will forego the second shot since the first one offers 80% protection and the second only offers an additional 10% protection, which for me is not worth the risk of permanently worse tinnitus.

Please send healing vibes.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. T Pizzimenti

T Pizzimenti Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music, ear phones
      I got my second dose of Pfizer on March 31st. I had tinnitus prior to that but by the next morning I noticed it had gotten louder by at least 25%. I was able to block out my tinnitus prior to the vaccine and now it is prominent. Makes it harder to fall asleep and block out. Trying a sound machine at night tonight to see if that helps because a fan has not.

My husband has not had any tinnitus symptoms after his second does of Pfizer which he got the same day and from the same lot as I did.

I'm calling my doctor as both or my daughters will be getting their second dose the end of April and I don't want them to develop this if it is vaccine induced.

11. alex1975

alex1975 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably sound induced
      I received my first Moderna shot three weeks ago and only got a very sore arm at the injection point (this could have been made worse because I worked out a bit on my shoulders that same day).

No increase or decrease in tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    12. slay2k

slay2k Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi everyone,

I got my 1st Pfizer shot on March 29th (14 days ago) and my left ear tinnitus went from the 0-2/10 that it has been for years to 4-5/10 the morning after the shot. After the first couple of days it dropped back down, but is currently still above pre-vaccine levels, at 2-3/10.

Debating my 2nd shot (April 20th). To the folks who had a tinnitus spike after the 1st shot and got the 2nd one anyway -- where did your tinnitus end up afterwards? Please continue to post updates for us!

I don't want to skip the 2nd shot if the spike has already happened :)

Thanks and hang in there!

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    13. jjflyman

jjflyman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise (Concert)
      March 10, Pfizer #1. 10 days later my tinnitus started to spike, ramping up over the next 3 days and peaking for about 1 week, then began slowly fading.

April 8, Pfiize #2. About 1 day later, tinnitus spiked up again for about 1 day, and slowly faded.

It has been about 5 days since the second shot, and my tinnitus has faded at least 50% since the worst of the spikes, it is more of a head hiss now. I expect it to return to baseline in a few weeks.

I believe these spikes will be temporary, and way better than getting COVID-19 virus, because that can cause a bad spike possibly permanently.

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Goofyfoot

Goofyfoot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moderna COVID Vaccine
      Hi to all!

To begin, I have never had (or noticed) regular tinnitus prior to the COVID-19 vaccinations. I received my 1st dose of the Moderna vaccine on 02/10. Coincidentally, a week later, I had an annual audiology exam and noticed a faint ringing in my left ear during the exam, but my hearing was normal. I thought perhaps I had been listening to headphones a little too loudly while working out that week. I didn't mention it to the doctor or think about it again even though, in hindsight, I did noticed (and ignored) it a few more times in quiet rooms because it was so faint.

I received my 2nd dose of the Moderna vaccine on 03/12. After the 48 hours of aching, lethargy, malaise, fatigue, and foggy brain symptoms faded, the ringing in my ears took over and has not stopped. I'm just over 4 weeks past my second dose and the sound is the loudest it's been. It's mostly a steady ringing in both ears, but definitely more prominent in my left ear. At times, I will also hear a fluctuating higher frequency ringing in either ear. I've also felt and heard my heartbeat in my left ear temporarily, have had sinus-type echoing and pressure in my ears, and have noticed my hearing is slightly sensitive at times (usually morning and evening). Because of the sensitivity, I often think I am actually feeling the vibrations of the ringing.

I reported all of this information through the VAERS process because I can't imagine anything else except the vaccine would be causing these symptoms that I've never had and that suddenly hit me. Ironically, when I went to see my PCP about these symptoms, she tested me for COVID-19 (negative result). I'm off to see an ENT next week.

I'm happy that I found Tinnitus Talk and appreciate all of the information being shared!

• Hug Hug x 4
    15. Croaker
      Haunting

Croaker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019 T, 04/2020 H
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones/Car Alarm/Immune Response?
      First Pfizer dose had no effect on my tinnitus/hyperacusis. I’ll be receiving the second dose on Friday.

• Like Like x 2
    16. Scott J.

Scott J. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/16/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I think it is from the covid vaccine, It started a week afte
      I got my 1st dose of Pfizer-BioNTech on March 10th.

About a week later I noticed ringing in my ears. I had experienced minor ringing before for short periods, so I thought it would go away. It didn't. I made an appointment to see an ENT and get a hearing test. Ironically that appointment was in the morning of March 31 and that afternoon I got my 2nd dose. The ENT gave me some things that could help, limit caffeine, environmental noises at night, LBC Complex, TMJ exercises, Neuromonics information, biofeedback information. Later that day I started searching the internet and I started seeing other connections with COVID-19 vaccine and tinnitus.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I took the time to compile every report so far in this thread into this chart. I had to make some guesses about "temporary" vs "permanent", but I defined "permanent" as "people reporting no status change after a worsening more than 4 weeks ago". Of course some of these people could improve, and other people currently in the "temporary" category could become permanent, since I did not count anyone as permanent if they are first reporting issues within the last 14 days.

The obvious takeaway for me is that more people are getting Pfizer than anything else, and also having less side effects -- but that could just be an effect of having a larger dataset for Pfizer. I'm still not convinced modeRNA is any more dangerous, but I'm also not unhappy to be scheduled for Pfizer.

• Like x 11
      • Informative x 5
      • Helpful x 2
      • Agree x 1
      • Genius x 1
      • Winner x 1
    18. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I got the Sputnik V first dose a couple of days ago. So far no change.

• Like Like x 2
    19. Ehren M
      Nerdy

Ehren M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/24/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I received my second Moderna vaccine two days ago. 12 hours later, I had a small headache and a little dizziness. Between 24 -36 hours later I experienced a fever of increasing severity, topping out at 100.2 deg F before I fell into a sweaty, broken kind of sleep. My tinnitus symptoms are usually high pitched, and around 24 hours after vaccination, I experienced a few temporary low tinnitus tones that freaked me out a bit, but they went away within minutes. I woke up today feeling totally fine and with tinnitus symptoms as they were before the second vaccine dose.

Thanks, everyone, for your work on this important topic.

Cheers.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      I received both doses of Pfizer - was completed in January. No change noted to my tinnitus after either vaccine. Minimal arm pain from #1, and some fever, malaise and shaking chills from #2 which lasted 36 hours.

Much better than getting COVID-19.

• Like Like x 3
    21. skn

skn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/06/2015
      I had my first dose of Pfizer on March 27th.

My tinnitus increased in volume 5 days after the vaccine.

As of today the ringing has dropped in volume, and I’m getting back closer to baseline. I did have a slight sinus infection before my vaccination, and I wonder if that was a contributor to the uptick in volume.

I’m scheduled for my second dose this Saturday but I will reschedule to allow my body further healing. Additionally I feel I can be better prepared for the second dose. During this time I doubled my daily Turmeric, olive leaf oil, and a product called Mucostop, which combats excess mucus production in the sinuses.

• Informative Informative x 2
    22. dnl
      Wishful

dnl Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wellbutrin/Bupropion
      I got my first dose of COVID-19 vaccine a couple of weeks ago... it was Pfizer. I have experienced no change in my tinnitus. I know people get concerned about drugs/treatments after getting tinnitus and thought I’d share my experience. Your mileage may vary.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Meirion

Meirion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music (headphones)
      I had 1st dose of Pfizer 6 days ago. On day 3 after the vaccination, my tinnitus spiked to its highest ever and has not subsided yet as of day 6.

I'm not intending on getting the 2nd dose if this doesn't go back to pre-vaccine level.

I really wished I had read the information on here before going ahead with the 1st dose. So annoyed at myself.

24. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I got the Pfizer vaccine a week ago, no change in tinnitus.

25. t_scot randal

t_scot randal Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 12
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      My story is remarkably similar to yours. I have never experienced tinnitus outside of temporary and mild ringing after exposure to loud sounds (like a rock concert) or after a long road trip in a car.

I received the first Moderna shot on March 5. About a week later I began to notice persistent tinnitus in both ears. It was bothersome but not disruptive. I was concerned it might be due to the vaccine and temporarily delayed the 2nd dose.

Over the last week the tinnitus seemed to be backing off and I went ahead with the 2nd dose.

Twelve hours later I was hit with terrible tinnitus (it actually woke me up from a dead sleep) and, for the most part, it has been going ever since. Your description of the sensation is spot-on. It's ringing and hissing with occasional bursts of louder ringing.

Overall it is INCREDIBLY loud and disruptive.

I saw an internal medicine doctor today and she reported it to VAERS. I am not sure if it is related or not, but my BP was unexpectedly high: 142/80. I am ALWAYS 115-120/70 and just had a normal BP during my physical back in February. The doctor thinks the tinnitus could be related to sudden BP change but we both agree the vaccine is probably the culprit.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    26. Sanibel

Sanibel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 3, 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Second Pfizer vaccine
      After receiving the second Pfizer vaccine on March 3, 2021 I got tinnitus.

I never had it before. First it was cricket like sound in right ear. Lymph nodes in my neck also swelled.

Now it is high pitched ringing and it is constant all the time! I cannot get rid of it or get it to stop ever. I had hoped the tinnitus would go away when the node swelling went down but it is still there.

The tinnitus is in the right ear only. That is the arm I got the vaccine in also - the right arm. This is so frustrating!

• Hug Hug x 3
    27. Ozone
      Depressed

Ozone Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/4/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly Noise Induced/Stress
      I got my first Pfizer shot on 3/31/21.

I didn't notice any change in my tinnitus, nothing outside the realm of what stress does.

I'm going back for my second shot this week.

COVID-19 can really mess with your ears, I don't want to find out.

I hope everyone stays healthy.

• Like Like x 1
    28. NuNu

NuNu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/27/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Firing guns
      Day two after the first Pfizer vaccine and no change in my tinnitus. I’ll only update y’all if it changes or after I get the second shot.

• Like Like x 2
    29. Moffou42

Moffou42 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi folks, I found Tinnitus Talk last night when I laid down in bed and realized the tinnitus in my left ear was much louder than it has been. I Googled and found this thread... very grateful for it.

This was the first I'd noticed this worsening, 4.5 days after the first Moderna vaccine.

My tinnitus had been fairly steady since onset in June of 2012 with occasional spikes. I'll continue to monitor it.

Incidentally, The Tapping Solution has a great 25 minute tapping meditation on tinnitus that helped me quite a bit last night when I initially realized this.

• Like Like x 1
    30. Diesel

Diesel Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      20+ Years of Live Music, Motorcycles, and Power Tools
      4 days after 1st Pfizer shot. No issues to report yet in Tinnitus/Hyperacusis/Hearing Loss. Sore arm for a few days.

Going back for 2nd Pfizer shot on May 7th.

• Like Like x 2