Share Your Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccine Experience: Any Impact on Your Tinnitus or Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by teacher34, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Garye
      Thinking

Garye Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ??
      I got my first Pfizer shot on May 6. No change whatsoever regarding tinnitus or anything else. Glad I got it and more glad when I get my 2nd shot.

2. Fifth Business

Fifth Business Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Deafening applause (ppl clap loudly after reading my posts)
      About one week post Pfizer jab #2 - no measurable side effects (general anxiety doesn't count). Maybe some mild fatigue the day after, arm slightly sore, etc.

I was able to do fairly strenuous resistance training two days afterwards with no problems. I heard one YouTube MD streamer say maybe wait 72 hours before you start exercising if you're under 40 due to nominal myocarditis* risk but pfffffffffft.

Needless to say the vaccination caused no problems with tinnitus.

*no I don't have a citation XD

3. Ken219
      Frustrated

Ken219 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Summer of 1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure?
      If you only knew the truth? I guess we'll wait 5 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Fifth Business

Fifth Business Member Podcast Patron

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Deafening applause (ppl clap loudly after reading my posts)
      Why not move the goal post to 10 years?

5. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Day 38 after J&J onset tinnitus. Was progressively getting better now progressively getting worse. Spikes are louder and more intrusive while spikes are lasting all day compared to minutes and hours before.

• Hug Hug x 5
    6. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      I got my first shot of Pfizer on May 17th. No changes to my tinnitus, still sleeping quite well despite the sounds. Second shot will be on June 21th.

• Like Like x 2
    7. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      My husband had both Pfizer shots. He said it had no impact on his tinnitus at all.
      I’m still on the fence as to whether or not to get the shot.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Tweedleman
      Depressed

Tweedleman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/Noise
      Well, I blacked out about 10 minutes after getting the first Phizer shot. I have no fear of needles, there was no pain, only numbness followed by an intense wave of tiredness that I couldn't fight. The staff swarmed me, tilting me back on the floor and holding my feet up. All I could hear was the blood rushing at the back of my head and my vision went out. It lasted about 5 minutes and eventually I regained use of my legs just fine. I have only experienced this kind of episode as a kid experimenting with no tolerance to certain drugs.

I'm pleased to report that it didn't rev my tinnitus any higher! If you have to be high all the time like me, I recommend hydrating lots and only take the mellow shit.

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      Hello! It has been a while since I have written here!

I wanted to share my experience. I received my first Pfizer shot yesterday. I hesitated quite a lot. My tinnitus is due to ototoxic meds and I know I have to be careful whenever I take something new.

So anyway, I got it and so far so good. No noticeable impact on my tinnitus, no new sounds or pitch and I slept like a baby. Of course, I am hyper aware of my tinnitus today and a bit worried that it could increase but so far so good.

I'll report here again if anything changes.

Anne

• Like Like x 4
    10. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      It's been nearly 48 hours post my first Pfizer shot.

Everything seems OK so far. Still no real impact on my tinnitus. I am almost starting to believe that I will be fine in the end. Fingers crossed. I was so nervous about the vaccine increasing my tinnitus since the cause of my tinnitus is ototoxic medication...

I am a runner and did my usual intervals last night, my cardio was fine. I also went to the pool on Monday, a few hours after the shot and swam just fine.

The pain in my arm at the injection point has subsided too.

I don't want to start a debate but in my case, I got the vaccine mostly because I am signed up for the Boston Marathon in October and they will likely request proof of vaccination. Also, a friend of mine, who is a runner as well, caught COVID-19 over 6 months ago. She is in her 40s. She got what we call "long COVID-19" and still has symptoms, even 6 months later. She had a pulmonary embolism following COVID-19 and almost died. She can barely run a 5K now. This really scared me.

Reading that COVID-19 was more likely to increase tinnitus vs. the vaccines, I decided to go ahead with it. Like others have said, it was a really tough decision. My parents are approaching 70 years old and it has been very painful not being able to see them, enjoy a meal with them, bringing my children over for visits. Maybe I am a sheep and I hate the fact that we don't know how the future will look like and if I made the right decision.

In the end, the fact that my tinnitus is the same 48 hours post-vaccine is very reassuring.

I will update if anything changes.

Anne

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    11. cruise
      Relaxed

cruise Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I took two Pfizer shots, no problem whatsoever.

• Like Like x 3
    12. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Got my first BioNTech shot 2 days ago. No problems at all. Tinnitus is same and has not increased or changed.

• Like Like x 1
    13. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I got the 1st Moderna shot yesterday. I feel rough and tinnitus is worse but that always seems to go hand in hand anyway.

14. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      Update 2 months and 10 days after the first shot of AstraZeneca.

I have lost some hearing compared to the last test in December 2020 and my tinnitus has worsened. I cannot attribute this for sure to the vaccine but the timing is important.

The injection also inflamed/did something to my rotator cuff. I cannot stretch my left arm or twist it without considerable pain. The physiotherapist told me he gets many cases like this for people over 50 who got vaccinated. It may take 3 years to heal.

Given all this and the fact that very probably I had COVID-19 last year, I will postpone the second shot for a while.

• Hug Hug x 2
    15. antonio77

antonio77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I got vaccinated 2 weeks ago with Pfizer. I have not noticed any effects on tinnitus, therefore great news.

• Like Like x 1
    16. daiso

daiso Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's been almost 4 weeks after my second Moderna shot. No side effects after the first shot.

The day after the second shot, I felt chills and my tinnitus was definitely elevated but within the normal range. Everything pretty much went back to normal the following day.

There had been the normal ups and downs in the 2 months since the first shot, but nothing I can attribute to the shot.

17. MrAttention

MrAttention Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idnk
      I got my first shot of Moderna yesterday. My arm hurts badly, but my tinnitus is lower than it has been in the past 6 months. My tinnitus is 99% somatic, therefore I don't believe that the vaccine had any positive effect, but gratefully also no negative impact.

• Like Like x 1
    18. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      First Pfizer shot yesterday morning. Having a sore arm and at night a slightly louder tinnitus but nothing out of the ordinary. Today all back to normal. No other side effects.

19. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I might be experiencing a spike of some kind related to the vaccine, but it's pretty hard to say. Started maybe a week post shot #2, and optimistically things already seem to be settling back down. A friend who also has noise trauma tinnitus told me he noticed the same thing after Moderna #2 and it settled back to baseline over 3-4 weeks, but in his case one of his parents had developed temporary tinnitus after the vaxx, and so he thinks there's some chance he more or less worried himself into a spike by thinking about that.

I hesitate to even mention this, because whatever I am experiencing is within the general spectrum of stuff I've experienced over the last 4 years, it's not a significant spike compared to what has sometimes happened after having a real severe viral illness, and at this point I am only slightly concerned. If things continue to improve/not disimprove, I will become unconcerned pretty quickly.

It's hard for me to say if any of this is vaxx related, honestly; I have been having TMJ issues as well. But, I did say I'd come back and report anything odd, so, here we are.

Nothing in this message should be construed as a reason not to get the shot, if I could go back in time, I would still get the shots. It feels nice to be able to grab a beer at an outdoor venue, drink it, and not be paranoid about someone behind me breathing too close.

20. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I had a similar reaction to a Torodol injection once, though it started basically as soon as the shot was in, I was on the ground 30 seconds later and had an edge-of-consciousness series of hallucinations where the nurse who was trying to help me became a goddess figure trying to save me from falling into Hell.

Pretty epic reaction to a run of the mill anti-inflammatory drug ;)

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    21. Gemini Crickets
      Cheeky

Gemini Crickets Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/16/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ
      I had the first SINOVAC shot. No side effects. Second one coming next month.

• Like Like x 1
    22. linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm going with "maybe caused a spike from days ~5-12 post vaxx, impossible to say for sure, everything is back to normal now and good riddance to bad rubbish and I am looking forward to drinking alcohol outdoors but in public with friends again!

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    23. morgothaod

morgothaod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I may have developed a long term side effect from the Moderna vaccine.

It has been 2.5 months since I have received my second shot. I am experiencing on and off light to moderate pressure under my left rib cage. It can last 30 seconds to 30 minutes. Sometimes it gets worse after eating, other times it does not. I can have it act up in the morning or at night. I can't link it to any particular thing that I am doing. A family member of mine has diverticulitis so maybe I have it too but the timing is scary. My doctor thought it was muscular since an ultrasound didn't show anything wrong.

I am going back to the doctor to see what to do next.

• Hug Hug x 3
    24. slay2k

slay2k Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Pulled the trigger and got my 2nd Pfizer shot two days ago.

The morning after the 1st shot, which was 75 days ago, I woke up with a loud tinnitus in my left ear. Of course I read all the forums and decided to skip / postpone shot #2, unless the ringing abated. Well, it took about 2 months but it went completely back to pre-vaccine baseline (almost non-existent), which made me decide to pull the trigger on shot #2.

I was fully expecting to wake up the next morning with howling in my ears. But nope. Nothing. No change in tinnitus or anything other than a sore arm and tiredness for the past couple days. Remember: of the hundreds of millions who have received the shots, people like us who post here are a very self-selected audience. It may seem like everyone is having issues, but the vast majority of the population are not. In some cases, like apparently mine, the 1st shot produces all the symptoms and the 2nd does nothing but boost immunity.

I wanted stronger protection against the new variants (e.g. Delta) and to be able to travel again. I know the UK had a 90-day delay for their 2nd second shot and early studies show that people produce an even stronger response with delaying shot #2 (3.5x antibodies in people 80+ who waited 90 days vs 21). So don't feel like you missed the window by delaying. If anything, the immune response may be stronger and more durable.

Best of luck to everyone and have no fear -- there is hope of full recovery :)

• Like Like x 6
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    25. Oabmarcus

Oabmarcus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/30/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress and years of using earbuds/headphones
      I got my 2nd Moderna shot 2 days ago. Yesterday was pure hell, high fever, body aches, etc. But today everything has returned to normal. If anything, the tinnitus is lower than before, go figure.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I had both my AstraZeneca jabs. Slight sore arm and headaches both times, but zero effect on my tinnitus.

I don't know anyone who's had bad side effects from any vaccine. But I do know of several people who've had COVID-19, two of whom sadly have died.

• Like Like x 1
    27. BuckeyesForever
      Doubtful

BuckeyesForever Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, possibly medication as original cause
      I've had tinnitus since around 2016, a high-pitched tone bilaterally. It's louder in one ear than the other, but overall was at a pretty tolerable level. I got the J&J COVID-19 shot in April, and my tinnitus volume increased significantly within 30-60 minutes after the shot (also had a splitting headache).

The volume gradually came down over the next few days, but still isn't back to my pre-April baseline. It drives me nuts!

• Hug Hug x 1
    28. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

It’s been a month since my last update. Things are for the most part back to normal now. I still have periods of time on some days here and there where my hyperacusis still seems to be more sensitive, but for the most part things have cleared up.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    29. XoutofstepX

XoutofstepX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from loud concerts.
      Good evening, I want to share my experience with the Pfizer vaccine. I have had tinnitus from loud noise exposure since at least 2013. May of this year I woke up to a spike that has not calmed down. It’s very frustrating and invasive.

Anyways, I got my first Pfizer shot about 2 weeks after my spike on May 25th and I am happy to say it did not increase my tinnitus. I am set to get my second vaccine this Saturday, June 26th. I will update once I have received it. I am pretty nervous, but I hope that all will be good.

I am thankful for this community and the support it provides. Take care and have a good night.

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    30. Connie A Wellman

Connie A Wellman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 18 2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      maybe vaccine
      I've had mild tinnitus for years.

Almost 3 weeks after my first Moderna vaccine my ears clogged up and my tinnitus became severe.

I debated on getting the second vaccine but I found research saying that if you get COVID-19 you have a 50x chance of tinnitus. So I chose to get the second vaccine. Luckily my tinnitus did not get any worse.

But I've now been dealing with the worse tinnitus from the first vaccine for 10 weeks or more and there's been no change. I even tried steroid injections in my inner ears with no improvement.

From what I've read it's inflammation and just takes time. Some people are getting better after the 3 month mark. The sooner, the better, of course!

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Like Like x 1