Share Your Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccine Experience: Any Impact on Your Tinnitus or Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by teacher34, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      It's been 2 months since the J&J COVID-19 vaccine made my tinnitus worse.

I was getting better, then got worse, took Prednisone and got better, now worse again.

My tinnitus is not necessarily loud or at least I’ve gotten used to it some, but it is reactive. A faint squeak at times that gets louder with external noises and worse after driving. My old tinnitus seems to be amped up all the time now. Tones shifting to both ears as well. I feel it in the back of the head and it gets worse if my neck is stiff.

Weeeeee.

• Hug Hug x 4
    2. XoutofstepX

XoutofstepX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma from loud concerts.
      Just for background, I have had very mild tinnitus from loud noise exposure. I could only hear it in quiet settings. Early May of this year I woke up to the tinnitus being much louder and I can now hear it all day even when watching TV.

I had my first dose of Pfizer about 2 weeks after my spike on 5/25. No ill effects except a sore arm and I had no increase in my tinnitus. I just got my 2nd dose today about 2.5 hours ago. I will update tomorrow with any effects I may experience. Take care!

• Like Like x 2
    3. Rudedog205

Rudedog205 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure? Possible concussion? Covid Vaccine? TMJ?
      I got a little sick from the first dose of the Moderna vaccine and had the whole sore arm thing going on.

After I got the second dose, I got extremely sick, like bedridden. Everything hurt really badly, I had migraines, and a fever for a day. It slowly wore off over the following days and then I was very fatigued for like a week.

I am not sure if it aided in my developing of tinnitus or hyperacusis but it was within the timeframe that that could happen so it is a possibility but too many variables to directly point the finger at it.

4. XoutofstepX

XoutofstepX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ok, it has been a little over 24 hours since my second Pfizer shot. I was feeling pretty good all day yesterday, although my tinnitus did feel louder or more noticeable. I woke up around 2 am to chills and uncontrollable body shaking. Thankfully the shaking subsided after I got another blanket. I unfortunately tossed and turned until probably 4.30 am.

When I woke up again around 6 am I was very warm and body ached all over. And I have been dealing with that all day today. Just body aches and a slight fever. So far my tinnitus is unaffected. It was definitely more noticeable after the shot yesterday, but I can’t say that it has gotten louder or any change in pitch. I’d say today it has been pretty manageable. I will update again tomorrow. Take care!

• Like Like x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    5. Blossom

Blossom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ETD after virus
      48 hours after my first dose of Pfizer, I have had no change to my ETD-induced tinnitus so far.

• Like Like x 4
    6. XoutofstepX

XoutofstepX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Update: 48 hours after my 2nd Pfizer shot.

I am pretty much back to 100% other than feeling a bit fatigued. Aches and fever are gone. My tinnitus still seems to be unaffected. Hoping it stays that way!

If I notice any change in my tinnitus I will provide an update. Stay strong and take care!

• Like Like x 4
    7. XoutofstepX

XoutofstepX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Update: About 72 hours after the 2nd Pfizer dose, I am dealing with a change in my tinnitus. It is either louder or higher in pitch. Hard to tell, but either way no fun. I still have a bit of a fever, so I am hoping it is just due to inflammation response and it will eventually subside. I will continue to update if things change.

• Hug Hug x 5
    8. Tybs

Tybs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fall from stairs
      Got my second Pfizer shot over a week ago. Only side effects were muscle pain and a bit of a fever for a short day. Kept me from work, but nothing else special.

My tinnitus was actually even slightly lower than usual, but I attribute this to the default fluctuations in its baseline.

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    9. Pharz
      Alone

Pharz Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I got COVID-19 before with no effect on my tinnitus.

I got first dose of Pfizer two days ago. There is a slight increase in my right ear tinnitus, and a new hissing sound (which usually comes when I have some physical problems such as lack of sleep, stress, loud noise exposure) in my left ear.

I hope it gets better even though it is still manageable.

Apart from tinnitus, my left hand is sore and I have been a little foggy for these two days.

10. Darktale

Darktale Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic Trauma
      I got the 2 shots of Pfizer. No side effects and especially nothing to report regarding my tinnitus and hyperacusis.

BTW, I am in France and nobody reported tinnitus or spike after COVID-19 vaccine on the local tinnitus/hyperacusis forum despite 50% of the population being now vaccinated.

• Like Like x 2
    11. antonio77

antonio77 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      About a week ago I had my 2nd injection of Pfizer and everything has been fine, no effect on my tinnitus.

• Like Like x 2
    12. MindOverMatter

MindOverMatter Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (possibly stress related, and later sound induced)
      It seems like my body's reaction to the 2nd Pfizer jab has now calmed down - after 2 weeks with fatigue, a cold, on and off dizziness, extreme headaches/migraines, weakness and muscular pain on and off, and more reactive, hissing tinnitus.

At this point I feel like I am pretty much back to pre-vaccine - except for being in bad shape after about 3 weeks with no workouts and a lot of sofa time... Sometimes the body is in need of proper rest to reset - especially after a vaccine such as this.

13. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      I may have had COVID-19, with very mild symptoms, in February or March 2020, but there was no test available so it is uncertain.

I had my first shot of Moderna on May 21, 2021 and had my second Moderna shot a little over two weeks ago.

I have had no reaction to my tinnitus or anything else, from either the first or second shot.

• Like Like x 1
    14. XoutofstepX

XoutofstepX Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Update: It has been just over a week since my 2nd Pfizer shot and thankfully the higher pitch frequency has subsided back to baseline. It started 2 days after I received the vaccine and subsided about 3 days later.

• Like Like x 5
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    15. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      I received my first dose of Pfizer one week ago. First days I felt nothing but a sore arm, but from day 3 I have been feeling fatigued, tired and a little nauseous from time to time. My tinnitus spiked today, and I have been experiencing a slight sensation of hyperacusis the last couple of days. I will check in again with updates.

• Hug Hug x 2
    16. T-talker

T-talker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoic
      Waiting on my 2nd Pfizer jab. After the first one, I had a mild worsening in my hearing loss, no real change in my tinnitus outside maybe the first 48 hours. The change in hearing was measurable but it more or less recovered.

I wanted to thank this thread for making me choose Pfizer, which seems demonstrably to be the most stable choice for us. I got a special note from my doctor saying I have to get that one, which is convenient here in Canada where there isn't much Pfizer for adults anymore.

• Like Like x 5
    17. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      Got my 1st Moderna vaccine this morning - only side effect thus far has been a sore and stiff arm. No effect on tinnitus or hyperacusis.

• Like Like x 2
    18. Allie007

Allie007 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Covid vaccine
      I had my 2nd AstraZeneca shot 5 weeks ago.

2 days after the shot the left side of my face started aching, got a headache and pulsatile tinnitus started. I've been feeling really rough on and off since, having headaches and feeling run down. The pulsatile tinnitus is constant. I'm really fed up and getting distressed by it now.

• Hug Hug x 3
    19. Nick116
      Insomnious

Nick116 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection (2012), Azithromycin (2020), AZ Vaccine (2021)
      I had my second AstaZeneca shot on Monday, July 5th, 2021. Overnight i got a fever, headache and my tinnitus spiked massively. I'm now left with a hiss in my right ear that I can hear constantly. It's driving me mad and I just hope it settles back to normal over next few days & weeks.

• Hug Hug x 2
    20. MrCrybaby

MrCrybaby Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2014, 10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      School Band, Noxious Car Radio
      I am past two weeks from my second dose of Pfizer. I had soreness at the injection site and took Magnesium for the first couple days in anticipation of muscle stiffness. Other than that I had no side effects or impact on my ears, I’m relieved to be through this process.

• Like Like x 1
    21. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      It's been 4 weeks since my 2nd Pfizer injection. I've been fatigued since and still with aches all through my body. I've also acquired a whole new tinnitus sound in my right ear, it's a strange up and down ring, and it has spiked at least 4 times since the last injection to where it's unbearable. Damn it.

• Hug Hug x 6
    22. Nick116
      Insomnious

Nick116 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear Infection (2012), Azithromycin (2020), AZ Vaccine (2021)
      Update:

It's now been just under 2 weeks since i had my 2nd AstraZeneca vaccine and my tinnitus spike is still present though it's calmed down a little to a gentle hiss in my right ear that I can only hear in a quiet room. My previous high pitched tinnitus is still buzzing away in the background and doesn't bother me too much which is nice.

It's a little frustrating that I've potentially got to go through the whole habituation process again, but at least my mood is better this week from the panic I had initially after my jab. It's good that I now know what to expect and can manage it better this time around. Look to the positive!

• Like Like x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    23. emmalee
      No Mood

emmalee Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ?
      My second vaccination was on July 4th, so I am finally a full two weeks post vax. No real side effects, other than a sore arm and some fatigue. No change in my tinnitus, fortunately.

• Like Like x 1
    24. Amv

Amv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Hi All! I had my 1st Pfizer vaccine shot yesterday. Regarding tinnitus or hearing, no problem at all, my tinnitus remains the same. I have allergies to many things and developed a mild allergy reaction to it, but this is another story.

I will let you know anything that may arise during this time. The relief of getting vaccinated is also nice. Best to all.

• Like Like x 3
    25. Stu1983
      Studious

Stu1983 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Around 2008/spiked 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2008 sound/2018 Meds made the volume several times worse
      Hello and I hope you're all well!

My wife had her second COVID-19 vaccination 1 month ago with no changes to her mild tinnitus and I had my second COVID-19 vaccine 2 weeks ago with zero changes to my severe tinnitus, moderate to severe hearing loss and mild hyperacusis. We both had Pfizer for our first doses and Moderna for our second doses which is common in Canada. Completely subjective I understand but my tinnitus has been more tame since my second shot.

Stu

• Like Like x 3
    26. jpr992

jpr992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi,

Just to update the chart of positive/negative reactions based on the reports of this thread.

All the best.

upload_2021-7-21_6-26-42.png

• Like Like x 7
      • Winner Winner x 1
    27. Simon85

Simon85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Nov 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably noise exposure, but unknown.
      A week after the Pfizer vaccine: no change in tinnitus volume for me. Second shot is booked.

• Like Like x 1
    28. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      2 weeks post second jab (Pfizer/BioNTech), no side effects, or tinnitus & hyperacusis changes whatsoever.

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. Deamon22

Deamon22 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma
      Same here, I'm around 2 weeks past the second jab and no change. Just a sore arm and a bit tired the day after.

For the record, around a week after my first shot my tinnitus got a bit more erratic and more annoying, especially whit earplugs in. Furthermore I had some slight pain in my ears on and off. Now this could also be some of my random ups and downs I always have, but before the vaccine I actually had a long period with not many fluctuations.

Now it feels like all is back to normal, so this is just for the record.

• Like Like x 3
    30. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      It has been one month since my first shot of Pzifer. I had some minor fatigue and some increase in my tinnitus the following days.

Currently I am feeling fine and in good shape. All through yesterday and today my tinnitus acted kinda weird and different. If I turn my head quickly from side to side, I get a brief spike in my left ear. I can't say I have experienced this before. It probably has nothing to do with the vaccine but thought I might as well mention it.

• Agree Agree x 1