Studies Confirm Tinnitus Improves Over Time

Discussion in 'Research News' started by gotyoubynuts, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      The small group are the ones that suffer from tinnitus. the 1-2% where it has a big impact on their daily lives. People who live with tinnitus are a much larger group, one which we don't have a hugely accurate number on but generally thought to be 10% of the population.

I would say that we are characterised by the loudness, intrusiveness and inability to mask in most situations.

Everybody has their own experience of what "loud" means, it's a subjective disorder. For me it's the presence over virtually all other noises and the way it intrudes into daily life.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Thanks Steve, can you mask yours? For example if I watch the tv it will not be totally covered, however if I put iPhone pink noise app on volume level 2 it totally masks it! I guess the pink noise is actually similar to my tinnitus noise anyway so that's why it works so well.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not usually. I can create some sounds that mask it myself but I rarely have it masked in everyday life.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. Champ
      Woot

Champ Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma from headphones
      Researchers have pretty much directly linked stress & tinnitus. When your stressed, your limbic system becomes overactive, and your tinnitus will increase in volume as a result. It's why when you're not stressed in any way, the tinnitus may be incredibly quiet, even if it's still there. Mine shoots up to a 10 and can be overwhelming, but I've also had it hit a 1 after those times. It's possible to manage your emotions - all of us who have it chronically work on that.

5. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Do you have any links to evidence that supports this

6. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      My tinnitus does not move at all based on my emotions, kind of annoying when people generalize based on their own personal experience. Tinnitus comes in many different forms, this much should be clear by now.

• Agree Agree x 3
    7. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      Mine is similar to yours...depends on what type of show I am watching...if there is a quiet scene on I will definitely hear it but if i put on an air conditioner or my i-phone white noise app sounds (recording of my steam from my heater. blends exactly with my T sound) while doing this i can pretty much block it out. I do believe that having a white noise that is similar to your T is key to blocking it out. IF we could figure out a way to customize white noise we could come up with a way to block it out no matter how high the pitch is. Back to topic - It doesnt bother me too much as long as i keep some level of noise in the background. In the beginning it was much worse but it has definitely gotten better. I am in a good place rit now..i hope it stays this way

• Informative Informative x 1
    8. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The consensus is that your emotional reaction tends to improve to it over time, anxiety/depression diminishes as acceptance kicks in.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      So does a better emotional reaction to T equal a quieter tinnitus? Or is it the same and we just do a better job of ignoring it?

10. t-man
      Suicidal

t-man Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Eight years later and still miserable.

• Winner Winner x 4
    11. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Technically I imagine that it's possible. Some hearing aids can customise how loud the sound is around you based on listening to the sound. Changing that function slightly (which I am sure would require some R&D) you could get them to play white noise but only in the frequencies that aren't detected - so it would effectively "fill in" the sound. Although at best this would be only up to 12kHz.

Probably that sits with the person you ask. For example this morning I woke up after a good, long sleep and noted that mine was quieter. I came on here, where you can't help but have a constant reminder, I noticed it more and it feels louder. It's probably perception but it does genuinely seem louder to me.

• Useful Useful x 1
    12. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      We do a better job at ignoring it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      If you read Kevin Hogans and Jullian Cowan Hill that is correct.. Or more so, to have ANY chance to get better, first you must habituate (that is having no emotional response to your Tinnitus).

Haha, It sounds like you're suggesting we should stay away from your site, Steve :)

14. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, get away the lot of you :D

Realistically though, it is the perfect scenario. A new person with tinnitus views the forums, can see what's going on and what other people have used to help themselves, find your own patterns, improve then leave.

We kind of already are the demonstration of the title of this thread here at TT. We get a lot of traffic but have a very high turnover in unique visitors, suggesting that people come to find things out, do whatever it is they do, and then they are able to carry on with life.

The patient journey really interests me, understanding it and also trying to figure out what the perfect trajectory is for people to get better. If we could find the normal path (kind of like the stages of grieving) then it could be very useful for people to understand what they are going through and are likely to go through, which can only help.

It can never be so simplistic of course because there are many different causes and aggravating factors for people, so there will always be exceptions (the roughly 1-2% that we know to suffer now).

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
    15. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      45% of people with tinnitus have an anxiety disorder at some time in their life According to Wikipedia.

Just wondering because I do, does anyone one else have one too? And not just because of t?

16. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Yes, i have general anxiety and have earlier in my life struggled a lot with this and social anxiety (anxiety being in social situations)

• Hug Hug x 2
    17. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I been at this for almost 30 years and my tinnitus has not improved over time. Emotionally, yes I am able to handle this garbage and live with it. Saying it has improved and it can without anyone doing anything has not made any positive impact in my life.

I will say this much, my tinnitus and its cause is different , from others. Maybe for others it can get better, but for those that have damaged their ears through LOUD music/enviornments, I haven't seen my ears get better on their own, nor my tinnitus...

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Hello @Flamingo1,
      I'm a little mixed up with a post of yours. If you can help me figure it out.
      I suppose by "neural paths" you mean the brain plasticity? In general is there a scientific documentation that support the above claim?
      What do you mean with "there's still some plasticity in the brain"? From what i've read brain plasticity or "neuroplasticity" is the brain's ability to cause lasting changes during the whole lifespan of a human being. Do you mean that eventually this ability cease to exist on a specific time mark after the onset of tinnitus? Again is there a scientific documentation that provides information on this theory?
      Thank you.

• Like Like x 1
    19. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Thank you @Steve for taking the time to respond.
      What confuses me is this exact heterogeneity. Why some people remain mild while others worsen. I keep find it difficult to accept that our pure psychological response could be a main factor that would affect the overall progress. I mean the physiology of the condition haven't been yet understood through it's whole length. There must be something functional linked with the cause. On the other hand, who knows? Doctors easily use the "stress diagnosis" when nothing else is left to be said for a poorly understood condition, such as tinnitus. In order for me not to make just assumptions, i would appreciate if you happen to be aware of any scientific documentation on the matter, that you consider as an interesting reading and share.
      All the best.
      V.

20. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Greetings @Champ,
      Despite that i am not a huge fun of the "stress theory", i would be happy if you could guide me with links to those researches to read. Btw my tinnitus never lowers when i am in a relatively calm state. Thanks in advance.
      V.

21. Amiel

Amiel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Some have more hearing damage than others, it's not all psychological.

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. vermillion
      Whistles

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Dear @Amiel,
      If you read my posts throughout the thread you will understand that this is also my claim. In addition though, severe tinnitus doesn't always come with great amount of hearing loss. Members of TT is a proof. So there's definitely a neurological pathology that spans throughout the brain, which i also believe is not psychological. Keep in mind the contrary as well; that is hearing loss but no tinnitus.
      V.

23. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi @vermillion, Don't listen to me, I'm not am expert in tinnitus!! I was just repeating what I've heard and read on Tinnitus Talk and what my audiologist told me. The whole idea behind habitation is learning to ignore T, and how can you do that if you're constantly looking for it?!

24. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree. The psychological definitely plays a role but I do not believe it is the only thing at play. There are many different causes and many different potentially aggravating factors.

To dismiss as solely psychological is incorrect. Although you do sometimes feel that it is a big factor for many people.

It is possible that the psychological reaction and inability to ignore cause it to become chronic, which then takes root in the brain and whatever process it is that ensues. But again, this will never be a hard and fast rule for all.

I hate the word "neurotic" being used here but this paper discusses the relationship between people with neurotic tendencies and bothersome tinnitus http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022399913003358

25. Freeatlast

Freeatlast Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound
      One quick question! if you get noise trauma tinnitus without hearing loss, is it then possible that the hair cells recovers?

26. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Damage to hair cells is cumulative. Even if your T disappears, the damage will still be there (according to what I've read). That is why one never should use the word cured if t does disappear, because next time the damage may build up to cause permanent T. I had a few temp T's before it eventually never went away..

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      Once a hair cell dies, it will never grow back.

28. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not really qualified (or knowledgeable enough) to say for sure. But...

If the trauma has caused hair cells to die then ambassador is right, they don't grow back - well, until one of the people working on regeneration crack the problem they don't anyway.

But if they are damaged then yes they can repair. When they are damaged beyond repair they go, never to return.

29. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Once they are damaged they can repair. Steve do you have any links for evidence of this?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    30. Freeatlast

Freeatlast Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound
      How does one know if they are damaged beyond repair?

• Good Question Good Question x 1