Suicidal Because Noise from rTMS (140 dB!) Massively Worsened My Tinnitus and Caused Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Support' started by JoeBattams, Apr 15, 2022.

1. Samantha2961

Samantha2961 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      Hi Joe,

I am so sorry to hear your story and it breaks my heart to read that you are contemplating suicide, although I too have experienced times where I thought to myself that it would just be so much easier if I were just dead.

I’m not an expert or anything, but I would suggest trying a safe, low risk medication to treat the anxiety and depression that you might be feeling due to the new hearing loss and worse tinnitus. A doctor or psychiatrist can perform an in depth assessment and determine the appropriate medication for you (if you are open to trying new medications). Also, is there a way for you to continue listening to your audio books, even if it may not sound the exact same as before? It’s important to continue to do things that bring you happiness, even though you may not have any motivation or just feel too sad to try anymore. Try not to let yourself sink into a dark hole where all you can focus on is the tinnitus and hearing loss. I know it’s easier said than done, but it’s important to try.

Habituation is also still possible, but for severe instances such as yours, it may just take a little longer. I wish you the best of luck in overcoming this battle, and please do not lose hope or give up.

• Like Like x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. kmt

kmt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Did these help you?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    3. blamingeverything

blamingeverything Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      high frequency hearing loss
      I'm concerned that Joe has not been back since April, in this case I don't suspect it's because he's happier.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    4. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      I did a search and this is what I found:

In Memory of Joe Battams

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Informative Informative x 1
    5. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      What an absolute tragedy.

Rest in peace, Joe.

• Agree Agree x 7
    6. bobvann
      Ape-like

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Shitty to think an audiologist I saw in April recommended to try this. As much as some of us are being touted as "negative & toxic", the incompetence I have seen in so called "professionals" is astounding.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. tpj
      Sad

tpj Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      probably noise
      So sad. Rest in peace and silence Joe.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    8. LilCC

LilCC Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Exposure to loud noises
      Wow! I wonder if it was because of his severe tinnitus. I’m pretty certain it was a factor. RIP Joe.
      It doesn’t say the cause of his death?

9. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Yeah I didn’t want to confirm anything as I just pieced things together and not sure. Sucks.

• Hug Hug x 4
    10. blamingeverything

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fucking hell. Thanks for finding this @Wrfortiscue. I actually looked a few weeks back but didn’t find anything. I actually knew Joe, our work lives crossed each other for a few years. Couldn’t believe my eyes seeing his post and reading his horrible predicament. I tried to contact him on LinkedIn after he made this post but it was too late.

He was one of the kindest, gentlest souls you could come across in life. Too quiet for his own good in fact, but this explains why and in retrospect it all makes sense. Just terrible. I’m only assured that he’s found his peace.

• Hug Hug x 14
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    11. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Yeah I can’t say because I don’t know... really is a bummer.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

May he Rest In Peace.

• Like Like x 5
    13. Chinmoku

Chinmoku Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Started with a cold, possibly worsened by medication/noise
      Another tragedy. Thinking of you, Joe. Medicine failed you, and research with its glacial times failed you too. You didn't deserve this, but at least there in no noise where you are now. Thinking of your family, too.

• Agree Agree x 9
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    14. Shelbylynn
      Amused

Shelbylynn Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert/lifelong music abuse
      RIP. I wish that Joe could know it was not his fault. How could anyone fault him for wanting his depression to get better? His sentiment is so similar to mine, to a lot of ours. When we dare live with tinnitus and things can somehow get worse or we can be exposed to unhealthy noise etc, I still think it is not our fault. We are daring to live, to make life live-able as we should. It was unfortunate what happened but he did the best he could with the information he had.

Sending peace and love to his family and all of us who feel backed into a corner in this life.

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    15. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      This is the last thing I wanted to see but thanks @Wrfortiscue, as I was wondering why Joe stopped posting. Hope he has found peace.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 2
    16. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Rest in peace Joe.

The hospital staff killed him. Perhaps not intentionally, but pure negligence mixed with uncaring borderline sadism.

The auditory system and brain have their breaking points, clearly.

Peace be with you Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    17. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Not the fault of anyone.

Love to Joe's family.

18. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      This is tragic beyond words. It is the first time I've seen this thread and it’s truly awful.

RIP, Joe.

• Hug Hug x 2
    19. Forever hopeful
      Disappointed

Forever hopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015 resolved, 4/20 L ear, increase 2/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2015,noise,2020-21 SNHL
      Oh no. I remember my heart breaking when I read his story. All of this is just devastating. Joe thought he was doing something to help himself and ended up with horrible tinnitus.

I remember my otologist telling me not to worry about the MRI because they gave me double ear protection. I still ran out of there halfway through because it was so incredibly loud even with the ear protection.

RIP Joe.

• Hug Hug x 3
    20. blamingeverything

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      rTMS is actually a very interesting treatment modality in tinnitus research.

21. Jibran
      Torn

Jibran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      I am in the same boat as OP. Anything I do seem to make it worse.

Yesterday was at a dinner with my wife and son and the place was a little loud but not horribly loud. I also had my Phonak P90 hearing aids in. Anyways, just out of the blue a server accidentally dropped some glasses on a glass top table, probably 2 to 3 feet away from me. Now for normal people it was just an accident and for me it is a trauma with a loud spike on a top of an ongoing flare up.

Can someone guide me how wearing earplugs all the time is beneficial? I mean, won't the brain ramp up the receiving sensitivity once it get harder for it to listen to external sound?

What do you think is the reason some people with moderate hearing loss do not have tinnitus? What part of our brain is fucked up?

Sorry for the language but I am sick of living like a degenerate always worrying about my surroundings.
      I hate my life and I hate having tinnitus...

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
    22. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      Very sorry to hear this. A good rule of thumb is to use earplugs in environments out of our control (like when out and about), and not using them in environments where we do have control (for most of us; in our own home). Using earplugs for a few hours everyday will not make you more sensitive, however I strongly advise against using earplugs literally 24 hours a day unless it's absolutely necessary.
      Nobody knows for sure, but it's safe to assume that there's some degree of genetic predisposition at play.

Wish you well,
      Stacken

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    23. SamRosemary

SamRosemary Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Oh no... This is so heartbreaking. It’s so unfair that he was just trying to get treatment and have a better life. I hope he found silence. RIP Joe.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. NYCGuy
      Depressed

NYCGuy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck, Jaw or Stress, who knows.
      Wow, so sad and shocked reading this.

Rest in peace Joe.

• Agree Agree x 2
    25. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      Devastating to read this and realise how he found silence. He could not blame himself for trusting professional medical opinion and going ahead with the treatment. Some of us have done things we maybe shouldn't have (like me flushing my own ears!) but when you go to experts - you expect to get quality advice. I checked out rTMS on the BTA website. They basically say there is no good evidence for its efficacy against tinnitus but also say there were no adverse effects in those who participated in trials. I am surprised at the NHS offering it as a treatment for tinnitus with such poor clinical evidence for it being effective. Maybe the BTA should know about this case? As they declare it safe.

• Hug Hug x 1
    26. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      Humbling to read such a devastating story. The poor guy didn't do anything wrong, he just wanted help for himself and his family. This really brings home how devastating an illness and in particular tinnitus can be. This helps me to understand my own words to their fullest, that none of us know how much other people suffer. I hope that his family can find some comfort in knowing that he is not suffering any more, despite the terrible loss. It sounds like he was a wonderful guy.

George

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      RIP Joe. I wish I could follow you. I am also very suicidal. I try to stay alive every day for another day. But my tinnitus is so catastrophic, it is unbearable for me. I am close to considering assisted suicide. It is pure hell every day, every night.

• Hug Hug x 12
      • Agree Agree x 2
    28. Travis Henry
      Cynical

Travis Henry Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 Moderna Vac, Noise and stress I guess, its killing me
      I just want you to know I love you @EDDTEKK. I'm so sorry we are in this hell.

• Hug Hug x 6
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
    29. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      If people with healthy legs go for a run, nothing will happen. But someone with damaged leg could permanently make it worse. This is why it's so important to do diligent research before you do a single procedure or take a single drug. Normal people have much more healthy hair cells to sacrifice than we do. When doctors talk about it being safe, they're referring to these people. Even something like chemotherapy is probably not worth doing for people like us. Based on my research, the drug cocktails they use is ototoxic as hell. Cancer free or madness. Nice choice.

I'm sorry for OP. This is a failure of the NHS. Their ignorance caused this. He didn't need to die. His tinnitus didn't seem bad enough and could have lived a long life.

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    30. jasonbourne

jasonbourne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Comments like these aggravate me to no end. Its like someone with a missing finger telling a paraplegic that everything will be ok and that he has adapted to life.

The guy ended his life. Obviously you are completely out of touch.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Winner Winner x 2