Suicidal

Discussion in 'Support' started by jeremy06, Oct 14, 2018.

1. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

Have you read any of the posts where people actually say they are thankful they got tinnitus yet?

Here’s one:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-my-dear-friend.35964/

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Don't forget the Bomb Blast Pill - (aka da bomblasspill)

3. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      You are doing much better than me at 2 months in, I was writhing on the floor crying and begging the noise to stop, my point is in 2 years you will get your life back... obviously not 100% but still a life.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. musicblue

musicblue Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

@GBB if its any consolation I was in absolute hell last night. I have developed severe hyperacusis, meaning that sounds I accumulate in the day come back later in the evening in form of searing ear pain. Last night it was raining outside my window which set of my reactive tinnitus - my entire head was like an electricity power station. Then 1 hour later I wake up, having the feeling of acid having being poured in both ears. It was like there were burning coals in there. I grab some painkillers, shut my eyes and hope I can get back to sleep - thinking how the hell am I in this position when 4 months ago I was in love with life. It is just unacceptable for a human being to keep going through this torment night after night, without any real sense of destination, prognosis and being abused from inside the body. Its like being buried alive.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    5. Rafalek73

Rafalek73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Since you have tinnitus, have there been any good moments, days?

6. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Never heard of it. What’s that do?

7. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      It's the Hough Ear Institute pill. Read the thread in Research News.

8. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Ah gotchu, I knew about that. I just didn’t know that was its name. I always just called it the Hough pill.

9. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      To GBB:

Very well characterized as the Stockholm Syndrome.

Julian Cowan Hill's book has the title "Tinnitus: From Tyrant to Friend."

Joey Remenyi also recommends this.

In their latest YouTube commentaries, they repeat ad nauseum that not only is this easily achievable, but that you should chastise yourself for either being unwilling or unable to get to this point. Those of us who do not or cannot are "stuck" in a "negative thinking loop."

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    11. ShaunR

ShaunR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert + Motorbike
      I had the cup of acid in ear thing for about a month every single night and eventually it went away thank F*ck. I hope it goes away for you too.

Now I just get constant face and jaw pain with some weird ear fullness.

Hope you get better or improve!

Shaun.

• Like Like x 1
    12. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks - your suffering does not bring me comfort/consolation. I wish we could all lead our lives without this bullshit as a factor. I hope we all get some relief sooner rather than later.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      If I could just mask my tinnitus this would be so much easier, but the reactivity/distortion means any white noise ends up having a tinnitus component.

Has anyone had this go completely away over time? I just need some hope.

14. Emgee

Emgee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Modern Society = Too Loud
      I have the same problem. Not able to mask as the reactivity rises above any noise.

My only peace was sitting in quiet rooms with my moderate baseline. However, a hearing test (OAE) spiked my baseline to a severe level a few days ago.

I don’t know if I’m going to make it.

• Hug Hug x 8
    15. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just took a Xanax and the tinnitus went to 1-2/10 from maybe a 6/10. I can only hear it if I plug my ears. I know I can’t do this all the time but I’m pretty much temporarily cured. I can barely hear my tinnitus and the distortion, and I’m not hyper sensitive to sound. I believe @flobo had something similar when he tried it. This is pretty damn cool honestly.

I wonder if I just do this 2-3x a week or less if the effect will be reliable. It’s a nice tool to have in the toolkit.

Edit: it only lasted 10 minutes or so, but was cool while it lasted.

16. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I didn't have distortion as severe as you do, mainly instruments, especially violin, sounded like completely out of tune, and had a metallic whining component to it, but it got so-so much better.

Also, I read that your tinnitus is all over the place. With the high pitch sound, I had this too, it fluctuated all the time, migrated between ears, changed characteristics, frequency, volume, you name it. Around 5 months it settled down and now only changes its volume, because it's kind of reactive. I'm not okay, I'm still here, but it did get better than it was around December/January.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks, how long did it take for the distortion to go down, and did your baseline volume reduce?

18. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God damn man - I will pray it is a temporary spike. You have been a major contributor on these boards and I hope it gets better for both of us.

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Everything calmed down around February. I needed to check back on Tinnitus Talk when I noticed that music sounded way off and that was in the beginning of December. So it took ~3 months.

Yes, my baseline went down as well. Spending lockdown in a relatively quiet environment was beneficial to me. It still is very reactive though.

• Winner Winner x 2
    20. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Does anybody have a really loud finger on a wine glass rim type tinnitus sound?

21. Pitseleh

Pitseleh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yes, among other sounds. The worst being the super loud 250 Hz making me feel like my head is constantly ready to explode.
      And then there are those 9000 Hz all over the place.
      And this 3000 Hz.

• Agree Agree x 3
    22. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Terrible... is that due to low frequency hearing loss?

23. Pitseleh

Pitseleh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Last time it was checked, my low frequency hearing was strangely OK compared to the rest of the spectrum.

The loudness perceived in this low 250 Hz doesn't match the audiogram, while it does for the other tones.

24. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Your low frequency tinnitus could have an entirely different cause (like ETD or a million other things) than your other tinnitus. It's pretty uncommon to get low frequency tinnitus from things like noise injury from what I have gathered.

25. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      You make it sound good and optimistic but there's no scientific evidence to support this. Just theories at best.

26. Born To Slay
      Depressed

Born To Slay Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      No scientific evidence? Carl LeBel said he heard back from ENTs that patients have said their tinnitus improved after being treated with FX-322. And we know better then anyone that that probably wasn’t placebo. So either Carl lies or FX-322 has already improved people’s tinnitus.

People on this forum took the old Retigabine and many had great results. Those posts are still here. New Retigabine is going to be even better.

There’s definitely good evidence to suggest the end of our suffering is here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    27. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I have a question or questions, plural.

Where do you perceive your tinnitus? I am mostly asking people who think they have severe tinnitus. So, if you rate it 10/10 severity or feel suicidal often or every day.

Mine: I used to be able to tell but now it's too loud. I *think* it's so loud but I would guess my right ear mostly but there's so many tones. When it's spiking or like a spike, it's as though it's "going through my ears and brain." I guess no one knows what I mean?

But, if I compare ears or try to, the tones seem to be coming more intensely from my right ear.

Although, when I have ear pain, the left is usually worse for hyperacusis or whatever the heck the condition I have is. In more simple terms, I experience more frequent ear pain in my left ear than the right. Noises that hurt my right ear seem to be different than what hurts my left ear. How do you explain that?

A while ago, I was filling air in my car tire. I forgot to wear hearing protection. The loud 'whooosh' (and air pressure pop sound) when I was done really hurt my right ear. My right ear was in pain for two days, IIRC. My left ear wasn't in pain. But, when a noise seems to contribute or cause pain to my left ear, the pain can last 2 days to several days.

Geez, this post is long. Sorry. Anyone else have something like this? Just wondering if anyone else has an idea of what I am talking about. If you experience anything like this? As bad as the ear pain is AND IT'S BAD - if I could choose only one to improve or be 'cured' - I would choose the tinnitus to go.

It's just so loud and doesn't fluctuate much - improvements of '8/10' and back to '10/10' are insignificant. At least, the ear pain subsides and changes. I *need* a major improvement with the tinnitus to feel like it's worth living at all.

28. Pitseleh

Pitseleh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I thought that too, yet it started after a head MRI and has been growing louder since then.

I suspect noise trauma.

That 250 Hz is the worst. Even benzos barely allow me to function.

29. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Have they ruled out perilymph fistula? Occasionally that can happen with noise trauma. I feel like people with low frequency tinnitus especially should get a full work up.

30. Pitseleh

Pitseleh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      They didn't mention it.
      I don't feel nauseous nor have vestibular issue and I think this diagnosis pretty much includes dizziness.

I'm totally lost.