Suicidal

Discussion in 'Support' started by jeremy06, Oct 14, 2018.

1. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      My ear pain reduced a bit. Enough that I am not holding my hand to my ear in excruciating pain like yesterday.

I wish I used ear plugs when going through stores. I should have been doing that. I am also scared that having plugs in my canals will cause ear pain. Because I had severe ear pain months ago and I was protecting a lot. That couldn't be from noise.

Carts screeching is normal noise for most people. I am going to buy some more magnesium soon. Chelated okay? I don't know if it matters or if it will help though. It seems like nothing helps.

2. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      The ear canal can get irritated, but foam earplugs... that aren’t jammed in... shouldn’t be that uncomfortable.
      I agree... we put earplugs in... and tinnitus is suddenly punching us in the face, however... at least the noise in our head doesn’t cause damage.

Any loud noise, especially metal on metal (high frequencies) can cause problems for some people. I see construction workers happily jackhammering away without a care, or protection, in the world. We are different.

In my opinion... you should start eliminating variables... check in the TMJ... then scratch that off the list... try some sound therapy in some headphones at a soft level. Learn how to juggle... no seriously... learn something that will keep you occupied. Continue to vent here... if that helps... we are here for you.

Good luck.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. acute
      Depressed

acute Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music
      Suicide is the only way out my friends.

I will not live on my knees.

• Hug Hug x 6
      • Agree Agree x 2
    4. Hammers

Hammers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma: Too close to fireworks with no protection.
      1) custom earplugs.
      2) dentist for your jaw.
      The tools are there for you. You just have to pick them up.

5. Hammers

Hammers Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma: Too close to fireworks with no protection.
      Have you tried curcumin? Seems all the rage these days.

6. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I told you it wasn't TMJ. 8 year very severe tinnitus veteran here.

7. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      How loud is yours?

8. MRItechssuck
      Disappointed

MRItechssuck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Severe 10/17/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, MRI
      Ugh I think my tinnitus is worse than I initially thought. Maybe the prednisone was damping it right after the MRI injury. Every day for the last two weeks has been 70-80db.

If I stop masking it, the anxiety really ramps up, since I feel helpless and that I’m truly f*cked.

Am I the only one that thinks about events and situations before their trauma and how those places will never be the same? I mean, wtf....I haven’t even seen a movie in 20 years without earplugs, or gone to any clubs or concerts....

and then a 20 minute MRI give this to me?...and then I see these lucky SOBs walking around construction sites or blasting their AirPods.....grrr.

Maybe masking 24/7 is the wrong move for me....maybe I just need to suck it up and deal with the klaxon in my head?

9. F-u-T

F-u-T Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trama
      [QUOTE="PeteJ, post: 484389, member: 35926"I wish I used ear plugs when going through stores. I should have been doing that. I am also scared that having plugs in my canals will cause ear pain. [/QUOTE]
      Why not use ear Muffs instead of plugs. Much easier to take on and off and offers same protection.

10. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      “In principle” sounds much like Dignitas, basically it’s a no... :(

11. Allan1967

Allan1967 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I saw nothing about it only being restricted to terminal patients.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Hi acute, I understand exactly how you feel as I’ve been through hell with tinnitus and other health problems. You are extremely new to tinnitus and the first years are by far the most difficult to cope with. With the passing of time there’s still a chance that your tinnitus could fade, and even if it doesn’t, there’s still a good chance that you will get used to it to the point that your life will move on just fine.

I understand why you are talking in extremes because I was no different to you nearly 5 years ago. I was totally tormented by it 24/7. Nowadays, I’m not. I’m tormented by other shit instead :LOL:

Anyway, I know these are empty words, but hold on and let time do it’s thing.

• Agree Agree x 6
    13. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      I have ear muffs. I put them on at times but they are like clamps. Also, they are a bit noticeable. The comfort level is more worrisome although I can wear them longer than I used to. Before, even 5 to 10 seconds was painful.

14. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      What is severe tinnitus to people?

To me, it's 70 dB or higher. I don't know what the pitch is and don't know how to tell. It's a number of tones and it's very annoying. If I had a gun, I am certain that I would use it on myself.

The ringing is a fast tempo. I guess the kettle boiling is a similar sound but not exactly. The volume of the ringing is terrible as I can't mask it and the nature of the ringing plus the pitch makes me want to kill myself. I know I will eventually.

• Hug Hug x 2
    15. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Pete, there’s no such thing as 70 dB tinnitus. You have to realise that there are many different weightings of the decibel scale and none of them really convert into something that can accurately measure how loud one’s tinnitus is. There is the A weighted scale which is aligned to the strongest frequencies within the human hearing range which is most notably 500 Hz to 8 kHz. Then there is the C weighted scale which takes in more of the lower and higher frequencies of a broadband sound. The Z rated scale is flat and measures all frequencies evenly.

The closest thing we have to measuring tinnitus is what’s called a pitch and loudness match.
      In audiology, you will see terms such as sensation level (SL) and hearing level (HL). Remember that the decibel scale is all relative to the quietest sound that can be heard, so when one has an audiogram and their hearing threshold shows 0 dB HL, this means they can hear the quietest sound that an average human ear can detect (assuming one has normal hearing and one is relatively young). This is where the HL standard is derived. Sensation level, on the other hand, is the measure of the intensity of an auditory stimulus above one’s threshold at a given frequency. During a loudness match, the audiologist will find out at which frequency a persons hears their tinnitus - if it’s tonal - and then they will measure the distance between the loudness of that persons tinnitus and the threshold of their hearing. So for example, if a person hears tinnitus at 6 kHz at 40 dB and their hearing threshold at 6 kHz is 30 dB HL, then that person would have a tinnitus match of 10 dB SL.

One of the problems with this method is how accurately people can match their tinnitus to a frequency as there is often an octave error in one’s judgement. This is especially true of people who have no musical training. The other issue with this is that it doesn’t account for the brain’s emotional processing of the sound which is the domain of Psychoacoustics. All sounds are not processed equally, and the volume we “hear” something at is the result of a complex chain of events within the brain. The more threatening a sound is perceived to be (which is based on our life’s experiences) the louder it will be portrayed in our conscious awareness. You also have to factor in tiredness, adrenaline and other hormones, and many other factors. A great example of this is how a movie at the cinema is perceived as loud, but if someone so much as whispers, it can be annoying because it can be heard. The whisper that’s heard in comparison to the volume of the movie is considerably quieter and yet people still hear it and get annoyed by it. Another example is how we can have our car stereo set at a comfortable level, only to find that it’s LOUD the following morning when we are tired, even though nothing has changed. We often have our TV’s on quietly at night, so as not to wake others up, and yet our brain can easily normalise this level of sound to be perceived as being louder. You discover this when you come to watch the following day and it’s WAAY too quiet, so you turn it back up again.

What I’m saying is that our perception of sound is malleable and can change depending on the conditions we are hearing something in. A 20 dB creak in the middle of the night can potentially sound deafening if you are home alone.

From a Psychoacoustics point-of-view, two sounds that are the same on a decibel meter will not necessarily be perceived as being the same loudness, and for this reason, a new unit called the phon was created. A phon is equal to a decibel at 1 kHz, so 40 phons would be the same as 40 dB at 1 kHz. A 90dB sound at 150 Hz, for example, would not be perceived to be as loud as a sound that is 90 dB at 3kHz, so by using phons we can try and keep one’s perception as neutral as possible. Sones are a linear representation of phons; 1 sone is equal to 40 phons and every 10 phons thereafter would represent a doubling in perceived loudness. This means that 50 phons would be equal to 2 sones and 60 phons would be equal to 4 sones, etc. Psychoacoustics is the science of how our brain interprets sound, and it’s interesting to note that phons and sones are the primary units of measurement. This is because it’s particularly difficult to define how loudness is perceived from one individual to another and these are likely the most neutral measurements we currently have.

This is already a long post, so I’ll conclude by saying that most people’s tinnitus is around 10 dB SL when using the pitch matching method. It’s extremely rare to see anyone go above 20 dB SL.

• Informative Informative x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    16. Bartoli

Bartoli Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2009,worsened 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      @Ed209

Thanks for the in-depth explanation of tinnitus in the thread. I do have a lot of formal musical training and I have trouble matching my tinnitus pitch. It's not tonal but a hiss. Sometimes it seems to be outside of my audible range. I can't hear over 12.5 kHz with my right ear which is where most of my tinnitus resides.

Having said that I'm probably less interested in finding out about the characteristics of my tinnitus and use it more to compare to other people's tinnitus. Whenever I come across a story of someone with similar loudness and high pitch and that person seems to be coping well I'm feeling a bit better. At the moment I'm immensely frustrated by my tinnitus, and have been since a worsening about 7 months ago. I can't focus properly and hear it easily in the car and over TV. I'm not sure what Is can reasonably expect in terms of improvement of my reaction to the sound. You seem to be doing ok. What do you think? Is this it? What does habituation mean when someone tinnitus is severe?

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    17. Pawel1
      No Mood

Pawel1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang
      @Ed209
      Please, don't take me wrong, but.. Have you listened to Tinnitus Mix made by David Case? Even if you listen to it at low volumes, it can still be bothering to listen to. Changing the sound level by a few decibels, can make a huge difference, because those sounds are really annoying.

• Like Like x 2
    18. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Everybody is unique, Bartoli, so I can’t really answer your question with any absolutes. My tinnitus is really loud and multilayered (there are many different sounds). I can hear it over loud traffic noise, and other loud environments above and around 80 - 90 dB quite easily. That doesn’t mean that my tinnitus is 90 dBA, though, that’s not how it works and this is a common mistake I see on here a lot. First of all, my main sound is a really high-pitched dentist drill whine that fills my head and is around 12 kHz - 14 kHz. In my left ear is a low pitched drone and in my right ear is a mid-frequency pure tone. Underneath all of this is static and hissing; I used to get brain zaps as well, but they seem to have stopped.

In my case, I have adjusted and have accepted that this sound is here to stay, and in return, my emotional response to it has numbed significantly. The early years were immensely difficult and this was compounded by the fact that I had lost my passion in life which was live music. I was suicidal and struggled to come to terms with it. Getting through the days was a real graft.

Nowadays, I’m much better and it really doesn’t have the hold over me that it once did. I hardly ever think about it, but it still affects my decisions when it comes to going to loud places. It’s like baggage I carry around with me. However, it really no longer affects my emotions in any way in the present moment. I don’t go about my day thinking about tinnitus 24/7 like I used to. I was constantly fixated on it, and obsessed, and it drove me insane. I just wanted to die. My situation is almost a 180 reversal in comparison.

All I can say is that for most people, time is the best thing for it.

• Optimistic x 3
      • Informative x 2
      • Like x 1
      • Agree x 1
      • Helpful x 1
      • Hug x 1
    19. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I’m not sure what you mean here? I’ve heard Tinnitus Mix, and I agree that lowering the volume of something that’s annoying certainly helps when it comes to dealing with it.

If I’m interpreting you correctly, I don’t think you understood what I meant in the post above.

20. Pawel1
      No Mood

Pawel1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud bang
      I was just trying to imply, that given the circumstances under which a Tinnitus sufferer has got to live in.. An increase of Tinnitus volume, by just a few decibels, could make a significantly negative difference on the person's quality of life. Especially, if the person has not yet habituated to the Tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 3
    21. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I agree with you. I lived with a milder form of tinnitus since the age of 18, and for me personally, when it got louder at the age of 33 it crushed me.

• Agree Agree x 4
    22. Rogi Cetpla
      Frustrated

Rogi Cetpla Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      T 2010 / IT 2015 / VIT 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure / Head trauma
      I agree and can fully relate to what you are saying @Ed209... I was living with a milder form of tinnitus... which had lightly increased over the years... but nothing like the recent increase in intensity and level... and like you have described... I currently feel crushed... having lost all control including of my emotions and feelings...

As I have written in some of my previous postings I am hanging on mainly because, although seemingly impossible at the time, I have habituated in the past and also, like you, believe that time is one of the key components for healing... unfortunately I also now believe/realise that the more intrusive the tinnitus is the more time it is likely going to take to recover...

The following quote which I have recently posted in the “preferred quote” thread is a perfect reflection of my current state of mind and situation...

“If you are going through hell, keep going”
      Winston Churchill

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    23. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      I have gone through all the stages that tinnitus has had to offer me. From Mild to pure horror these days and poor hearing. So i'll chime into this topic. Time is very important for healing, yes I agree with that 100%. Another couple of important elements are support, plan of action and belief in ourselves.

Support is so so vital to our success with tinnitus. Tinnitus can be like a 300lb monster that is just sitting on us and it can be a real pain in the butt. It will take a lot of mental strength to push through. Every ounce of support is needed to push through. I have went through quite a few new baselines in my 31 years and each time it has been a shock. I was shocked that this unfortunate ordeal has just gotten louder or new tones have joined in.

Talk it out with someone that loves you, cares about you and you have full trust in. This forum is amazing but it does not compare to talking to another human face to face.

The next vital component of success is having a plan of action. Even if your actions are small baby steps. We need to create a plan for our lives when tinnitus comes around. The old ways of living have to be adjusted a little. We need to make changes that will help us protect our ears. As an example, I was invited to quite a few thanksgiving parties today, but I am going to none of them. I know it will be loud and these are people that have normal ears, I don't have normal ears and I will not risk a new spike or possible baselines for just a few hours of fun. I am making adjustments daily in my life, I am trying new ways to make life just a little better.

We need to come up with a game plan that will help us with our tinnitus. Anything that helps with the tinnitus we need more of it, anything that does not help...we need less of it. Those small baby steps can lead to a huge win down the line. It's about doing it daily and pushing forward. Take those baby steps even if you don't feel like it.

We need to have confidence in ourselves and that we can make it with our tinnitus. This can be a hard one, but through out my 31 years and having gone through many changes, I can honestly say that this is very important. Tinnitus can possibly take our confidence from us. I have faced this issue many times in my tinnitus journey. Even though the tinnitus has gotten much louder, I still believe that I can make adjustments and I can live with this ordeal. I am ALL for a cure and I hope you good people find it as well. Until that day comes, I will still have the belief, that I can manage to live with this ordeal, no matter how difficult it makes my life.

It's not an easy thing at all, no way! It's just how it is for me, it's a reality. I still believe that life can still be lived and we can make some adjustments. I am a huge fan of working on my mindset and practicing gratitude. yes, life is hard, it's not easy and these ears ring like hell.

Time and patience will be instrumental in our tinnitus journey. Just have faith in yourself and reach out to those that love you and support you :)

• Like Like x 4
    24. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      @Ed209, that's too long. You don't know how loud my tinnitus is. I don't know how anyone would test it but when it's heard above outside environmental noise and it's louder than my fan - noise meter shows 60db - then 70 seems to be the best way to describe it.

You might have an education in music or whatever but you don't hear my tinnitus. I would say more but it might get worse. Everyone who agreed with is clueless too.

25. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I agree and I’ve said this very point on numerous occasions. However, I think you need some tough love, Pete. I’ve read through this thread and all you ever do is bat away any piece of help and/or advice that anyone gives you. @linearb very generously offered to buy you a book and you even found a way of turning that into a negative.

Nobody can help you if you’re not prepared to help yourself. The people on this forum can’t solve your problems for you, we can only offer you advice and support. That’s all we can do. However, you don’t want that, so what do you want? You’re not the only one suffering here. There are people taking the time out of their day to try and help you, who are tormented and suffering themselves, and all you ever do is shit all over them.

Just because you’re suffering doesn’t give you a free pass to be bad-mannered and rude to everyone. We’ve all been where you are. What else are you expecting from a forum?

Life can be cruel and hard, but people can’t help you unless you’re willing to be helped.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
    26. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Myself, you and many others come here to help,those that need it. We can only try to help, If people listen good. If not, we tried to be an assistance, nothing more...nothing less. We have done what we can, we cannot make people listen.

In the end, it's up to the person to help themselves.

Keep helping those that need it bro, good karma rewards good actions!

• Like Like x 2
    27. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Absolutely, fishbone!

It’s easy to sink into self-despair. I think we have all been there. The hardest thing anyone can do is pick themselves back up when they hit rock bottom. I understand Pete’s pain and why he is lashing out at people, but he has to realise that that is not the right approach and that nobody has the right to knock others down just because they are suffering themselves.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
    28. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      How do you know I or anyone else can be helped? Even fucking doctors and ENTs can't help most people. That's what is so bad about this when it's severe.

I think Ed just wanted to bash me because I didn't check agree with his post. Will understanding the tech. and auditory measurement help me?

It's the same fucking bullshit of others saying if "you don't want to listen", these vague accusations and critiques like assuming anything said should work but nothing specific is brought up.

• Hug Hug x 2
    29. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Btw, that is really mean and untrue.

• Hug Hug x 1
    30. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Severe tinnitus is when it hurts you. Like someone grinding your skull open with a grinder and running a blow torch over your brain. I've had it for about 3 or 4 nights of my life in total shortly after a loud event that either gave me tinnitus or made it permanently worse. That kind of suffering on a full time scale warrants euthanasia.

The problem with tinnitus is there is NO HELP, NO CURE, NOTHING. Anger is a totally natural reaction to such a problem, the world has done this to most of us in one way or another. You must work on trying to overcome this anger because it will lead to self harm eventually, it's a toxic mindset that only you can change. For nothing other than yourself can do anything about this situation. I'm not digging at anyone, I'm trying to change your mindset because it will help you. THIS IS NOT GOING TO BEAT YOU. How? By neutralising all emotion towards it and accepting the challenge you now face in life.

• Hug Hug x 1