Tell Me the Truth... Is a Cure Realistic?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheDanishGirl, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Otonomy and hough ear institute are in a preclinical stage with their drug that specifically aims to restore synapses. Both have announced that they will start a clinical trial in the (near) future

• Like Like x 2
    2. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Yes, an almost cure may have been found this week. Three public companies have all made major advancements in drug trials for stress and depression this week. The stock trading of these companies are at the top of the stock market volume boards this week with enormous price gains. It's possible that these drugs will greatly benefit those with tinnitus.

My neuro group believes stress and depression is a major reason why some get tinnitus and a factor on T getting worse. This group has 250 neuros in the Western States. They told me that somatic tinnitus (jaw and neck) is now believed to be caused by stress causing muscle tenderness to the upper trapezius, then bending head improperly. Subjective (noise exposure) is also greatly caused from stress or excitement.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
    3. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      what trials?

4. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      NSI-189 (Neuralstem) would be one of them. I don't know about the other two (at least not off-the-top of my head).

NSI-189 has nothing to do with tinnitus, however (for several reasons).

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      What??

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      NSI-189 failed in phase 2 in July this year didn't it?

• Like Like x 1
    7. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @attheedgeofscience @Aaron123 SAGE - brexanolone synthetic allopregnanolone. CUR and IGXT need to be watched. AXSOME - AXS - 05. FDA are fast tracking.

• Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Greg how can these drugs help tinnitus though? Do u mean help people cope better rather than actually reduce the volume/diminish the actual sound?

9. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
    10. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't know the pipeline, specifically (since it falls outside of my area of interest). But NSI-189 is highly specific to the hippocampus. I don't see why it would particularly interesting to the area of tinnitus.

11. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      There was indications of nsi-189 potentially helping other conditions than just depression on Wikipedia.

Tinnitus was NOT one of them.

I don't see how these 3 compounds indicate they help tinnitus (a lookup on google) rather they might help in managing it though?

• Like Like x 1
    12. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @attheedgeofscience Yes. Correct. So much more, but I shouldn't comment too much on mentioning public companies. Besides having some medical education, I have mentioned (just once before) that I have involvement in biotech public company investment. Degreed and certified.

• Like Like x 2
    13. Paulmanlike

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Greg why did you say an almost cure may of been found this week? What did you mean by that?

14. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Paulmanlike Some of these drugs should help beyond coping and actually lower the volume. I know ones who are tracking this new research closely. No public drug company will say to the public or on label that a drug will help with tinnitus. Case in point, the manufacturers of Xanax and Prednisone.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      @Paulmanlike
      It's a shame these are for depression with a chance of helping tinnitus. Apparently research for meme diseases matters more than something that actually matters like tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    16. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Yes, but you will have to wait 20-30 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      How many of us with severe tinnitus will still be on the green side of the grass in 20-30 years? I'm looking at current treatments to manage tinnitus, not future unknowns. Our lifetime is just too short to be thinking out that far.

• Agree Agree x 2
    18. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @TheDanishGirl These depression and stress drugs (actually 12 public companies) are central nervous system drugs in Phase 2 or Phase 3. There's has never been discovery like this before. Some have been given fast track status by the FDA and EU.

Some target the hippocampus and that's the control center in the brain for tinnitus stress perception. I have posted links on the this recently and you gave a response of WOW - with something like OH my God. Keep faith, these drugs will help greatly as never seen before.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    19. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      I am sorry but the medical community dosent prioritize TMJ or Tinnitus, it will take some time to get a cure. Most diseases dont even have a cure.

20. Onsdag

Onsdag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress
      People who are now under 25 have a better chance of getting that cure, older people will be dead before.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    21. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      True. I was thinking of people that could self-destruct because of severe tinnitus at any age.

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NSI 189 and Sage 017 are not only targeting the hippocampus, but the caudate. Research caudate and tinnitus. The hippocampus is noted by many notable neuro researchers as being the control center of tinnitus. I've given impressive links about this recently. Research hippocampus and tinnitus. The hippocampus is in the temporal lobe - a part of the brain that controls emotions. The hippocampus can be damaged by stress. The caudate is part of the frontal lobe and emotions are processed there too.

Sage 017 is showing in a quick and fast trial of just weeks that the hippocampus can be healed. If you can control depression from both these areas, homes of tinnitus, then there's a good chance of tinnitus improvement. Tinnitus is a neuro disease.

I really like what the CEO had to say in press conference. I really like the research that some of the public companies are doing on depression. We should know more in weeks or maybe months, but not years.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 2
    23. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I absolutely believe there will be a cure eventually, but an effective treatment for T would be a good in the interim. Then these hilarious ENTs can retire their favourite ‘just have to deal with it’ line and they can do what doctors are really good at - prescribing drugs for big pharma.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    24. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Greg Sacramento, That sounds very technical to me, but encouraging. I've had a lot of stress the past few years, so it could be related to abnormalities in the brain and depression.

25. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      That will be a sad day for ENTs everywhere. Now they actually have to do this awful thing called work whenever someone walks in with tinnitus.

• Funny Funny x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    26. Greg Sacramento

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't see these depression drugs as a cure for T.

It could be that there's many areas of the brain that correlate to T. If the regions for distress and depressive states are related to depression as many think, then these new depression drugs should at least help with coping.

Tinnitus loudness may be mostly related to the default mode network and multi-sensory information. So it might help a little in calmness of nerves and muscles, but I do doubt if T loudness could be lowered by much.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    27. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I think many people do not fully understand the role of an ENT doctor and what they are supposed to do when treating and diagnosing a patient with tinnitus. I can only speak of what goes on in the UK and my experience with them over many years. I would like people tell me of their experience with an ENT doctor and whether they were advised at some point to seek the help of a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist, that is trained in the treatment and management of tinnitus.

In the UK , when a tinnitus patient is seen by and ENT doctor they are asked a series of questions about the condition. How long have they had tinnitus and if they have any idea what might have caused the onset which can be many things. As most people know exposure to loud noise is the common cause. Typically it is headphone use or going to places were loud music is played.

A person will asked to have a hearing test and MRI scan. If these tests show no abnormalities then a person might be advised to wait a while. The tinnitus can go away or a person naturally habituates. If they are having difficulty coping with the tinnitus they might be advised of medication that can help or be referred to a Hearing Therapist/Audiologist that is trained in the management and treatment of tinnitus. I have been told on more than one occasion by ENT doctors, they do not treat tinnitus that isn't caused by an underlying medical problem of which there aren't many. In straight forward tinnitus caused by "loud noise" exposure, a patient is usually referred to the medical professionals I've mentioned, where there are usually treatment options available which can include counselling.

Michael

28. Benoves

Benoves Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow possibly noise trauma
      I would love to see how these things work on people with tinnitus. There is a lot of reasearch going on. Someone might find the solution by accident i think.

• Agree Agree x 1
    29. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      @Michael Leigh I think people DO understand what the role of an ENT dr is. Sure ENTs don’t know much about tinnitus, that’s fine. But they tend to either be arrogant and/or extremely dismissive. Not supportive. It’s as though their egos can’t deal with what they do not know.

For the record I was not offered an MRI or hearing test despite seeing my first ENT three times in about 6-7months. I had to pay an exorbitant amount for ear wax removal with a bad attitude and this was at a decent private hospital.

• Agree Agree x 3
    30. Benoves

Benoves Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow possibly noise trauma
      Greg, for some reason i can't start a conversation with you. Can you explain why you think this stuff might work?