Things People Say When You Tell Them You Have Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Forever hopeful, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Leila
      Wishful

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 chiropractic treatment, 2 and 3 no cause
      Yeah, I know... :huganimation: It's because people compare things to what they know, which works well in most cases because a broken bone is a broken bone, a toothache a toothache, a papercut a papercut, ... So it's only logical that they would resort to this very pattern when it comes to tinnitus, too. Unfortunately, the only way for them to learn about the nightmare that is severe tinnitus is to experience it themselves, which is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

• Like Like x 4
    2. Elmer B Fuddled

Elmer B Fuddled Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      plugged nasal eustachian tube
      After 4 years of this constant noise, and trying to explain the condition and what goes on in the head, I finally realized it's not worth the time or trouble to explain. It's not for sympathy we explain.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. JohnFox

JohnFox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Sudden loss of 100% hearing R ear with Tinnitus
      "Have you tried those gummy bears yet?" :android:

• Funny Funny x 2
    4. Sayeed

Sayeed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4/1/21
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unsure
      "Cool!"

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    5. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I have chronic prostatitis as well and sometimes need to take Doxycycline to deal with flare ups. Doxycycline does sometimes seem to spike it but not permanently. Remember that the stress from pelvic pain causes stress that can also worsen tinnitus.

The thing with chronic prostatitis is that it's hard to treat but between flare ups there is no pain. You don't really need antibiotics most of the time but sometimes you do as the bacteria can swarm out.

Usually treatment of chronic prostatitis is unpredictable and long. My urologist wants me to take Doxycycline for six to twelve weeks! This cures 75% of people with this illness but even than there are no guarantees so I simply refuse to take it so long even if I risk the bacteria become resistant to antibiotics.

Even without antibiotics you can go years without major flare ups, but, due to some recent poor life decisions, I suffer from another major flare up right now, unfortunately.

• Hug Hug x 2
    6. Joey72
      Approved

Joey72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Wow!

• Agree Agree x 2
    7. sakrt
      Tired

sakrt Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Specific issues
      Believe it or not, I was given - ANOTHER - $$$ :mad: bottle of the hearing and tinnitus "miracle cure". Oh Boy! SAME shit, but different colorful sticker-name for 2022-2023. Happy New Year! :rolleyes:

A pattern is, no one even bothers to READ the labels, which basically contains the same ingredients e.g., Ginkgo biloba, vitamin E etc. as in their "low energy" and sexual dysfunction bottles. Aaaand of course, when tried to point this out for the umpteenth time, to be labelled as being negative, not trying hard enough and comparing me to the joyous "honest reviews" from dancing seniors in their ads. "If it works for them and they can do it, you can too"! Well, the best thing again... I've gone "back to silence". (y)

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      Chronic prostatitis - what are the symptoms? I sometimes have a slight brownish colour to my semen (what little I produce) which I have had for years. I sometimes think there is some infection which comes and goes.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      I don't really tell people.

I told my son - as I wanted to urge him to avoid night clubs etc.

My mum I told - she said - oh that's just the sound of your heart - I get that too.

I told my doctor when he gave me some anti-inflammatories for a tendon issue I have and I asked if it might help my tinnitus. He said no, it won't help and added "I have it too - damned nightmare."

I asked my son not to tell my ex wife as she will say "you see - god is punishing you for not staying with me."

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. bobvann
      Vegged out

bobvann Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      At my GP's a few weeks back, I was trying to explain the desperation people have & lack of real resources. I mentioned how it was accepted as a condition to end one's life by VAD, how 3 to 4 people on a forum I frequent has taken their own life, and that I need help with this. All he could respond with was "should I be worried about you?", completely missing the point.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. Bart
      Wtf

Bart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/06/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      For me, mostly just pelvic pain, which can be severe at times, that comes and goes.

12. ZFire
      Tired

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      The last ENT I visited asked me if I was hearing voices.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    13. NiMo
      Ape-like

NiMo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Prolonged studio headphone use
      In my opinion most people won't feel too deeply about others' issues because they're so focused on their own. Honestly, myself included. We can give to charity and feel briefly for others, but if it's not any issue affecting our children, spouse or immediate family then we don't generally put a lot of effort in to understand and console.