Vitamin Supplement (Nicotinamide Riboside) Successfully Prevents Noise-Induced Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by exodus, Dec 2, 2014.

1. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I read at least her first reference and it actually concludes that it lowers glioblastoma risk.

The key phrase is "wild type mice"' the last reference said mice engineered to get cancer are more susceptible when given NAD+ because of its pro-angiogenic effects presumably.

This goes back to testing your genome I suppose, which everyone should probably do anyway (as with the MTHFR example).

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      So would you recommend laying off of NR and other NAD+ precursors until one's genome is known?

What exact test would I need to do, i.e. what's it called?

3. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      If you get 23andMe done, you can then upload your genome to Promethease and look for things like MTHFR.

As far as cancer risk, I don't know what specific cancer genes those rats were breed to have or how relevant they would be in people. The nice thing about Promethease is they highlight most of your "bad" genes for you.

For instance, I have Factor V Leiden and a much, much higher risk of Lymphoma. Both of those were highlighted for me. On the plus side, i am among the lowest risk for Alzheimer's so it wasn't all bad news.

If you are a worrier, it will tell you bad genes you didn't know about, fair warning.

4. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      OK.

For now I'm just going to keep taking the NR until I get a test. I'm only taking a low dose anyway.

5. AnxiouslyWaiting
      No Mood

AnxiouslyWaiting Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety maybe?
      Have you got back to the near silence you got on the 300-400mg dose you were on or are you still working your way up?

6. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I've not been taking it regularly lately. I only have a little left, and I have to get it shipped in.

I'm not sure what to do now to be honest. I'm not 100% sure if my near silence was due to upping the dose to 300-400 mg or not, and I was only on that dose for a day or two. I did get headaches though, hence I dropped down.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    7. AnxiouslyWaiting
      No Mood

AnxiouslyWaiting Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety maybe?
      Yeah it would have been interesting to see if it had the same effect again. It sucks that the benefits disappeared after you stopped (if the NR was the reason and not just a coincidence).

I would definitely prefer whatever cures us not to be something we have to take every day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
    9. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I presume this is what you mean by pro-angiogenic effects?:

"Because cancer cells utilize increased glycolysis, and because NAD enhances glycolysis, Nampt is often amplified in cancer cells."

10. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Here's another interesting article: https://www.scientificamerican.com/...unknowns-about-popular-antiaging-supplements/

11. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
    12. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      No, that's separate. But it's all really like saying "because cancer cells need energy if you give them more energy they grow faster. "

So, overall, if you happen to get cancer cells they will grow faster because of increased blood flow and energy utilization. But you first have to get the cancer (hence why they used pre-disposed rats).

13. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      OK, got you.

But as in the "US, 1 in 2 women and 1 in 3 men will develop cancer in their lifetime", and what with a lot of cancer not being caught early on, wouldn't it be a big risk to take NAD precursors like NR?

14. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      If you are in the more likely age bracket and/or have familiar history maybe the elevated risk of a faster growing cancer is something to consider. Not sure.

15. Thuan

Thuan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection right ear 2018. Sound trauma left ear 2020.
      So for those who have taken this incredibly expensive supplement for months, have you seen any positive effects?

16. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      It brought my tinnitus down a few notches but then plateaued to where it is now (6/10). I took this fairly early on so I can't be absolutely sure it wasn't just time.

It seems like @all to gain had some improvements over a longer time frame but had side effects so stopped.

17. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I can't 100% put it down to NR, that's the problem. But one day I woke up really having to look for my tinnitus, and my tinnitus was/is pretty bad.

I stopped as at a higher dose I got headaches, and then I read about the cancer thing I mentioned above. I may take it on and off, i.e. say 2 months on 2 months off. Would that do anything or is it something that needs to be taken continuously?

So, 23andMe was worth it? Did you find out about your ancestry?

18. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I did but I didn't really care about the ancestry stuff too much (some of it was surprising though).

Some of the genes from promethease give you an idea too (e.g. Factor V Leiden is only in people who have some British descent for instance).

It was definitely worth it for me because it told me why I can't metabolize certain drugs well (CYP2D6 poor metabolizer).

I don't think it's worth it unless you put it through promethease and you have specific concerns (e.g. cancer risks) or are wondering about drug metabolism. Here is what I came up with doing a quick search for genes implicated in glioblastoma risk:

Cyclin D1, CDK1, CDK2 RTK, PI3K.

So you would search for those genes on promethease if that was your worry.

• Like Like x 1
    19. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I don't really have any specific worries as such, but you never know what might turn up by doing the test.

I will have to mull it over. Can't do it here anyway, so would have to wait until I went back to the UK or take a local analog of the test.

20. Bambam0
      Cool

Bambam0 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock 'n Roll
      @Heinrich_S7 How are you doing with this? Would you still recommend it?

21. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      • Like Like x 1
    22. NewLionel

NewLionel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      headphones
      So has NAD actually worked for a few people?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    23. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I'm unsure in my case.

I did seem to get some near silence one day as soon as I upped the dose from 200 mg to 400 mg, but I got headaches so stopped.

Then, just yesterday I started up again, taking 100 mg, but I added Astaxanthin 12 mg, and last night and much of today my tinnitus has been less intense. However, the Astaxanthin brought with it an upset stomach (although that could be to do with my diet being bad the last few days and taking in too much fibre) and bright red stool.

I am going to experiment a little with Astaxanthin at lower doses (maybe 2-4 mg), and also with NR in the 100-300 mg range and try different combinations of the two together.

Lots of caveats.

• Like Like x 1
    24. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Astaxanthin is what makes flamingos pink. It changes everyone's stool to red just in case you were concerned.

25. all to gain
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Yeah, I know, I remember you saying LOL it was really red...:D

I must say, although it could be a big coincidence, that for much of the day I've found it harder to click my ears, and my mood seems to be better. Had a very good day overall. I need to find the right dose and persevere with it to see if I can get some long-time benefits from it.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Zaccq

Zaccq Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I am experiencing a similar thing regarding "ear clicking". I had my ears cleaned and then had an ear infection 6 months ago and took antibiotic ear drops.

Afterward, I found there is a clicking noise in my ears when I blew my noise. I also had sore sides of my throat and sore ears. I didn't notice tinnitus badly until a month ago when it spiked.

This clicking noise has been improving recently, as has the tinnitus.

I found a good audiologist who did a high frequency hearing test (to 14khz) and reported they did not see any indication of SSHL or any clinical hearing loss. As I thought it might be due to medication, at the time.

Now, I wonder if there's inflammation of the inner ear by something else, that then causes tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    27. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I know this is an older post, but did you continue with Nicotinamide Riboside?

28. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      This is great news!

Has this continued to be the case?

I made a post earlier, unaware that your tinnitus had improved.

29. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      May I ask which Nicotinamide Riboside product are you using, and dose etc?

30. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Were you given Azithromycin, for the walking pneumonia?