Vitamin Supplement (Nicotinamide Riboside) Successfully Prevents Noise-Induced Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by exodus, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Chriscom

Chriscom Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Likely infection/ear stress after walking pneumonia
      Yes, although it was the second antibiotic I was given--as planned--and I can't remember what the first one was. FWIW I'd taken Azithro before without any ill effects.

I am not a doctor but I'll always feel my hearing loss and tinnitus was the result of the walking pneumonia lodging itself in my system for too long a time at too severe a level, exposing my hearing system to a long-term attack. The illness was brutal. That first antibiotic, whatever it was, didn't seem to accomplish anything. It was only after the Azithro (Z-Pak) that I noticeably started to recover.

2. Bambam0
      Cool

Bambam0 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock 'n Roll
      So I started taking Nicotinamide Riboside a little less than 3 weeks ago. I was having a massive tinnitus spike after 1.5 years of pretty manageable tinnitus. Probably 5/10 after being a 1/10. The spike happened after sitting in my neighbor's garage listening to loud music for almost an hour on a new vinyl rig he set up late one night. Stupid decision I know - but it happened.

I'm taking 300 mg/day in the AM with 100 mg of Resveratrol.

The spike is now all but gone.

It could've obviously happened naturally but thought I'd contribute an anecdote. Started taking it about 10 days after the spike began.

Going to continue for 6 months. Skin seems nice and smooth too.

• Like Like x 5
    3. GoatSheep

GoatSheep Guest

4. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I know this is an older thread, but wondering if you're still using Nicotinamide Riboside and experiencing improvements?

5. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Older post I know, but how did you get on with the Nicotinamide Riboside erik?

6. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I don't know what to make of this because the doses they used were extremely high (250mg to 1000mg per kg) compared to OTC supplements (100mg to 200mg total) and receptor interactions are, of course, dose dependent.

Lots of supplements and even foods at least somewhat effect GABA receptors: green tea, most flavonoids, Ginkgo Biloba.

Some supplements, like valerian root, are taken primarily for their GABA effects.

As far as Nicotinamide Riboside, though, apparently, some clinics use very high IV doses for benzo withdrawal symptoms (I'm not sure the efficacy is proven).

@Star64, have you encountered this?

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. Zaccq

Zaccq Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
    8. Momme

Momme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise?
      Are Bioflavonoids good to take? I now only take Ashwagandha and Magnesium. Is there something more I should take? My tinnitus was noise induced.

9. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      There is not conclusive data on them but some people say they help, others don't.

• Like Like x 1
    10. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Did it continue to help you?

11. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I haven't been taking it lately and don't notice a worsening.

I didn't further improve past the acute phase. Having learned since that Azithromycin is retained in the cochlea for approximately 6 months or so, I can't even be sure at this point my improvements were related.

It seemed at the time to be a factor but people who saw improvements past the acute phase might be better to ask.

12. gav01

gav01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Looking at my order history on a couple of websites, I've ordered this product four times. I have ordered another one but this time I managed to get it very cheap and at 300mg. I will try to use them in a way so they will last me three months.

I find it all a little depressing that I have to keep spending money on it. Its a shame the NHS doesn't supply them after all the money I've put into the NHS.

They do seem to help though... I mentioned that it didn't work one time but I bought them again a couple of months ago as I had a bad spike due to noise exposure and I also started trying CBD near the end of the course. I thought that it was the CBD that reduced my tinnitus but I am pretty sure that it was these tablets again.

I caught COVID-19 and although my tinnitus was actually quiet up until after all my symptoms went (I didn't have it bad at all), my tinnitus has started to get loud again for some reason.

I bought a cheap version of this from eBay but they didn't do anything so I've had to resort to sticking with Life Extension. Does anyone know if there are any other reputable brands? Definitely going to go down the 300mg route and just take a third of a tablet a day to save money now.

• Like Like x 1
    13. ajc

ajc Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2002; spike 2009; worse 2017-18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music - noise damage
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    14. gav01

gav01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
    15. corza000

corza000 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      This seems to have slowed down. There was so much promise in the original posts about potential improvement of tinnitus and possible improvement of hearing loss.

What spooked me is the possible cancer links. Has there been any update on this?

Where have all our success stories gone to from this supplement?

16. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      I've been taking this for about 2.5 months and so far it has not had any miraculous effect, though that is just my own experience.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      2 months and 18 days in - (I'm taking 2 x 300 mg pills per day).

So far nothing to report in regards to tinnitus getting better (or worse).

• Like Like x 1
    18. summitplum

summitplum Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      azithromycin
      I appreciate you posting this. I also took Azithromycin 1000 mg tablet three months ago and developed tinnitus after. So it can still be damaging my ear? Is there anything that can be done to protect from further damage? This is scary... :(

19. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Sorry for the late reply.

I took Astaxanthin, NAD+ and lots of Magnesium.

I think it helped a bit. It's probably too late for steroids but it might be a good last ditch thing to try.

It was the worst the first few months so I think some of the inflammation will improve once the drug is fully out of the cochlea. It did for me.

20. vttbx

vttbx Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2001
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Results from a pilot study: The effects of nicotinamide riboside on mild cognitive impairment

A 10‐week supplementation of NR was well tolerated and significantly increased NAD(+) and associated metabolites in the blood of older adults with MCI. NR improved fMRI and physical function, our primary and secondary outcome measures, respectively. However, differences in cognition were not achieved in this small pilot study. Our results provide supporting evidence for further testing of NR as a method to maintain brain structure and function in older adults with MCI.

21. Momme

Momme Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise?
      I have tinnitus probably caused by earphones. What are the best supplements for me to take?

I'm asking you because you seem to know a lot.

22. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I wish there was a definitive answer for this. It seems so highly individual. Turmeric didn't help me but helped others. Magnesium helps some but not others.

I think this supplement (Nicotinamide Riboside) helped me but it's so difficult to tell because I took it acutely.

I think, in general, taking antioxidants (e.g. Turmeric, Astaxanthin) +/- Magnesium and NAD+ (Nicotinamide Riboside) are good acutely but chronically I'm not sure there is much.

There is a Kava Kava thread that some people report good things with chronically (check it out, it's in the Research News section) but be careful with that as it can (rarely but seriously) damage the liver.

• Like Like x 3
    23. B18c1vtech

B18c1vtech Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma??, poor diet, sleep, stress, etc..
      Just had a loud noise exposure. What is the recommended dose for Nicotinamide Riboside?

24. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    25. B18c1vtech

B18c1vtech Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Head Trauma??, poor diet, sleep, stress, etc..
    26. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There is no evidence for or against.

27. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently unknown; likely noise-induced
      I'm at a bit of a loss what to do here regarding this thread. While high quality supplements are rarely cheap investments, these are certainly very expensive. They look promising, and the supposed benefits of preventing aging and increasing energy are attractive, but I am mostly concerned about how it may help the noise. I would not consider any of this along the lines of snake oil as there is at least some science, research, and anecdotal evidence behind its effectiveness, but I need to put what limited funds I have to good use.

Can anyone who has taken (or is taking) Nicotinamide Riboside drop by with an update? I know as with everyone one's mileage may vary, but I'm not convinced this is worth the money. It would probably be beneficial to start taking things that might be helpful as early as possible.

I'm also not sure if Tru Niagen or the above mentioned ResveraCel is a better option. Many have said that Nicotinamide Riboside should be taken with Resveratrol, which the latter already has included.

28. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I took Thorne and Tru Niagen for 4 months. I am still taking them and actually introducing NMN (Nicotinamide mononucleotide) in addition to the Nicotinamide Riboside. My tinnitus many days is not as bad as it used to be, but I'm nowhere close to it not influencing my life or being by far my largest problem - most days are still an endurance test. Reactivity to normal stuff like driving is still off the charts. Kava did provide me some notable relief though I'm either building a tolerance or overdid my noise exposure, so I'm going through some shitty days.

Maybe from my experience re Nicotinamide Riboside, you can infer a modest benefit, but it is impossible to disaggregate from other supplements I've tried, or what could be some natural improvement.

In general my experience with tinnitus has been, if you want to try and make it better, prepare to throw money at it and set your expectations low-ish. I would ballpark my spend at $4-5k so far between doctors, drugs, supplements, and other gadgets, and 5 months in, on average maybe I have a 20% improvement vs where I started. Most days I am not normal and still have to gird myself against the noise.

Worth noting the one thing that never fails me is Xanax - I only use it once a week but I feel close to normal on it.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    29. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently unknown; likely noise-induced
      Sorry for the late reply! Thank you for reaching out and telling me about your experience.

Is there a particular reason why you are including NMN into your regimen? One of the difficulties I've had in researching this topic is determining between going for NR or NMN, but I've rarely seen both.

It is extremely difficult to determine what helped who when it comes to supplements, because many people often take a bunch of them, and spikes/dips tend to occur at will and not immediately after. Still good to hear you've improved, but it's hard to rule out natural recovery as well.

The information about this supplement seems to imply it is beneficial in many areas, not just potentially here, so I might be willing to give it a try for a time. Even if it doesn't have much of an affect on the symptom itself, if it protects the ears from any further damage, that is acceptable as well. I feel like if any sort of supplement is going to help, the earlier to take it would be best. Have you noticed any benefits otherwise? I often see reports of improved energy and sleep.

Regarding Xanax, I probably should have already been put on that given my anxiety before this all went down, but I am very afraid of benzos.

30. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The reason I put NMN in is because I am not very cost-sensitive and I just wanted to cover all of my bases. There is too much back and forth documentation on taking one vs. the other for me to come down on either side.