Vitamin Supplement (Nicotinamide Riboside) Successfully Prevents Noise-Induced Hearing Loss

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by exodus, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Currently unknown; likely noise-induced
      Yeah, that's completely understandable. I'm not even adverse to the idea myself if it'll help, but I did have concerns about possible interactions between the two (or overdosing, since they both result in the same thing at the end of the day).

Please do share if you come across any noticeable benefit by taking both. It might even be worth experimenting if you do see an increase to see if just NMN might be helpful.

2. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      I wonder how much of this is just placebo. I'm willing to give it a shot since I have both tinnitus and hyperacusis, but am definitely skeptical.

• Like Like x 1
    3. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like Like x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
    4. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    5. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      I'm about to start it too. I hope it helps. At this point, I don't care if it's a placebo if I can feel better.

• Like Like x 2
    6. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guys I am going to be starting the below. Will update as often as I can.

secret-stuff-space-jam.jpg

• Funny Funny x 4
    7. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      How is Nicotinamide Riboside in comparison with NAC? Both are supposed to prevent hearing loss?

I was taking NAC for about 2 months. I ran out and not sure if I should buy more, or if I should switch to Nicotinamide Riboside?

Just having information overload with everything and feeling like I'm throwing money away.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      From what I understand, the two aren't mutually exclusive. If you are financially able and weren't experiencing any bad side effects from the NAC, you may want to consider continuing with it. Supplements often take weeks or longer to show effectiveness, and as NAC itself can be protective, perhaps it's not something you'll even directly notice.
      I definitely emphasize with you on the information overload and fear that money is being thrown away, since there is almost no consistency to whether or not supplements will help someone or another. I like to think at the very least they may still help in other areas beyond reducing the symptom directly, but you never know. These are the risks you have to consider when there's nothing approved on market.

• Like Like x 1
    9. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
    10. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The recommended serving size - not sure off the top of my head but it's in both links.

11. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      So:

- 1 cap of 300 mg Tru Niagen per day
      - 2 to 8 capsules per day for the NMN (every capsule has 125mg)

12. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, 2 for the latter.

13. Drachen
      Tired

Drachen Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Should you go this route, I would consider looking into the addition of Resveratrol as well with the Tru Niagen. There have been several people mentioning how it is a useful cofactor, but of course there's nothing conclusive and many people who apparently benefit from just the Tru Niagen.

This is partly why I am considering Thorne's ResveraCel as it has both the Tru Niagen compound, Resveratrol, and some other compounds.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    14. Ben Winders
      Pensive

Ben Winders Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      I have already been doing Resveratrol + Tru Niagen combo for almost 4 months. Nothing really groundbreaking to report.

15. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Same, I used Thorne for 4 months prior to this. My tinnitus calmed down and went lower in tone, but I don’t think it had anything to do with NR - I still have terrible days as well, though some good ones in the mix too.

Probably 95% of the time my EEEE is absent and now I have 2 tones, a low wawawawa noise, and a tss/tch metallic noise. Even though they are lower pitched, on bad days I can still hear them everywhere.

• Informative Informative x 2
    16. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've officially taken it for 6 months. No significant change if any.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    17. Leila
      Daring

Leila Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 chiropractic treatment, 2 and 3 no cause
      I recently listened to a lecture by Dr. David Sinclair, an Australian biologist and geneticist, on the unrelated topic of cell renewal and was quite surprised to find two of the supplements mentioned by him (NMN and Resveratrol - in addition to Metformin) mentioned here, too.

Thinking about it, though, it does make sense that if something that assists in the renewal of cells might have a positive impact on whatever might be the actual cause of tinnitus.

Without the additional information of NMN and Resveratrol might being something worth looking into in regard to tinnitus I already decided to give give both supplements a try. And knowing what I know now, I'm looking forward to seeing whether they will improve my tinnitus as well.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    18. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Trying Resveratol that comes in a combo with Turmeric and Ginkgo, will report anything significant. So far I'm worse.

• Hug Hug x 3
    19. nocticolor
      No Mood

nocticolor Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I’ve been taking Tru Niagen and Resveratrol for a month now and while a month isn’t all that long, so far I haven’t noticed any difference. If anything I’ve gotten more new noises, not that I think any supplements are to blame.

Normally I’d try it out a little longer but if I’m being honest the Tru Niagen is a little too pricey for my taste for that.

20. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Might be the Ginkgo. I have seen it reported here to worsen some people's tinnitus.

21. Aquaticon

Aquaticon Guest

I'm strongly considering trying this as someone who's a month into noise induced tinnitus. I'm mid-20s which generally seems to be too young to really benefit from NAD+, but based on some accounts previously mentioned in this thread, if Nicotinamide Riboside can possibly promote or accelerate the ear's natural healing processes, I think it might be worth a shot.

@Heinrich_S7
      @Kste Adams

Heinrich and Kste in particular reported some really encouraging results early on, and I'd love to hear from them again about their current progress, though it's been some time since they've last posted which I pray means they've moved on to greener pastures -- pastures devoid of tinnitus and its ilk.

Worst case scenario I gain a little bit hope at the cost of a little lost money.

22. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Antidepressants / Loud Sound Exposure
      I am a bit confused reading this thread and sorry for the bump but now I am not sure if it's safe to use NAD+ without some methyl together.

I bought the supplement but someone told me that NAD+ depletes methyls and that I should have Trimethylglycine together with it

I don't know what to think and any thoughts on this would be great as I don't understand the theory behind all these supplements.

• Creative Creative x 1
    23. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      A good source of Resveratrol are grapes.

I think eating natural foods that the body digests easily is better than expensive supplements.

Your body will excrete the excess intake pretty quickly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    24. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So, I bought TMG to avoid undermethylation due to NAD+ booster usage but then I found out this review for the TMG product from Now Foods:

"I tried this for over two weeks. I experienced irritability on some days and tinnitus that was getting worse and worse. The tinnitus was so bad I could not hear well. It quickly became miserable. Thankfully I found men online reporting similar issues online with TMG supplements. My issues fully resolved two days after I stopped the TMG.

Others may have different experiences. Use caution."​

Now I am over the fence if I should combine NAD+ with TMG or not.

25. InfiniteLoop
      Relaxed

InfiniteLoop Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss in left ear from head trauma (?)
      I have been taking NAD+ & Resveratrol for a couple of years. They've had no effect on tinnitus whatsoever. Indeed, I am not taking them because of tinnitus.

@juliob, you keep fighting the tinnitus, and that will lead you to more disappointments because there is no supplement in the world that can affect it. My suggestion is to forget about pseudo treatments until a real solution comes out. I am not holding my breath waiting on it, it is better to move on and get busy with whatever is left in your life.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @InfiniteLoop, I might have expressed myself poorly. I am not after NAD+ due to any possible effect on tinnitus but that would be much welcomed. I want to use it to help me with my benzo withdrawal/tolerance symptoms.

But it seems that using only it might cause our bodies to get undermethylated and this would be bad for me as it can intensify OCD.

My dilemma is over adding TMG to my stack to avoid undermethylation but I don't want to risk any worsening in my tinnitus if there is any theoretical reason to believe so. That review on Amazon scared me a bit and now am not sure if I use NAD+ with or without TMG.

27. juliob
      Confused

juliob Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You guys who use Nicotinamide Riboside/Niagen, how old are you if you don't mind sharing?

I am 33 years old. I read that there is a study telling how taking Nicotinamide Riboside before age 40 can impair your endogenous production of NAD+ if you take it for too long.

I guess due to benzo brain/tolerance its pros outweighs the cons but still I wonder if I should be concerned.

28. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      Recently turned 30.

• Like Like x 2
    29. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      This was a post I made (as a guest) in this thread around 2 years ago, @juliob, that (somewhat) covers what you're raising.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    30. Bambam0
      Cool

Bambam0 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock 'n Roll
      I'm 34. I've been on it 1.5 years. Take it with Resveratrol on and off. If anything at the beginning I noticed a difference. Now I take it for protection and it's supposed to be damn good for you.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1