Will You Get Vaccinated for Coronavirus (COVID-19)? Can It Make Tinnitus or Hyperacusis Worse?

Discussion in 'Support' started by TheDanishGirl, Nov 13, 2020.

?

Will you get vaccinated for coronavirus?

1. Yes, right away, as soon as possible, when the first vaccine becomes available

2. Yes, planning to, but I will wait a while to see if there are any potential long-term side effects

3. Maybe, I haven't decided yet one way or another

4. No, I'm not going to get vaccinated

Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. Jack Straw
      Balanced

Jack Straw Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      1990s
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection, Acoustic Trauma
      I understand that you had a bad experience and understand why you wouldn't take more. I agree with you, that you made the right decision.

I don't think that means that you can apply your personal experience with everyone else and tell everyone else not to get it. If that was the case, we should never take any drugs because someone somewhere at one time had an adverse side effect.

2. Robster
      Irritated

Robster Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Jan 2021 MRI, Worsened Nov 2021 Vaccine, Oct 2023 Smoke Alar
      I think you misunderstood me. I am merely talking about myself and others who have had an adverse reaction to their first shot. If I was anti-vax, I'd never have had the first shot.

3. falafel

falafel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      Did anyone here have the Novavax shot already?

4. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I am glad I did not get vaccinated. There are a lot of young people getting strange cancers, heart conditions etc around, people I know first hand. It's really sad they were fooled to get the vaccine.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. falafel

falafel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Trauma
      So nobody got vaccinated with Novavax here?

6. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      It's my plan if I must get a 2nd dose.

• Like Like x 2
    7. Michael17
      Alienated

Michael17 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I would get the Novavax vaccine if I chose to get a second dose. I don't believe the Novavax vaccine is still pending approval in the US.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Just curious. Why is Novavax vaccine better then the others?

I was vaccinated twice with Pfizer. I had a nasty reaction to my hyperacusis from the first shot. It took several months to clear up completely. I don't think I could take a booster shot from Pfizer.

9. Michael17
      Alienated

Michael17 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      December 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi TheDanishGirl,

I don't know if it is "better". I only know that it is not mRNA (as is the vaccine for Pfizer). Based on my understanding, Novavax is based on traditional vaccine development, which is that it injects a small amount of the virus into your body and stimulates an immune response by your body (i.e., as with a traditional flu vaccine).

• Informative Informative x 1
    10. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      More antibody combinations likely with protein sub-units is my guess, and it showed more efficacy against Omicron.

The chance of an inflammatory spike or the wrong auto antibody generated still exists.

• Informative Informative x 4
    11. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown for 10 years, but later bad from loud fireworks.
      From articles I'm reading, it seems like whatever vaccine they come out with, that it will already be outdated as they are working from older strains and may not work as well for newer variations. But do read up to decide for yourself or see if things changes.

Also, I don't fully understand all of this. But it seems like these currently available COVID-19 vaccines aren't really "vaccines" in the traditional sense of say getting a Flu vaccine. In that it works differently compared to say how the Flu vaccine works to combat the Flu. I never got the vaccine, though I got COVID-19. And it made my tinnitus worse. Though so did when a few months prior when I had a cold for a week.

I don't know if I'll get the vaccine since I already got COVID-19. Though with the newer variants, I may lose natural protection to those from reports I'm reading. Hard to say as it's obvious the authority in charge of health has been making things up the entire pandemic, but I guess I'll wait. But if I did get it, I'd wait for a Novavax type unless there are reports of it too causing an increase in tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    12. SonOfUhtred
      Confused

SonOfUhtred Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud lifestyle
      I have had COVID-19 twice and have not had a vaccine. I assumed that by having it, I would have built up a natural vaccine so to speak. Is this not the case from what you have read? I doubt it would sway me anyway, I do not trust those making these vaccines at all!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There are some reports that natural immunity may reduce quicker than initially thought, or that maybe past infection doesn't give as much immunity protection for later variants. Time will tell. But I've read for a couple of years now that some people are predicting this COVID-19 thing to become like a regular flu that we'll have to just deal with going forward. It's possible it could change to become less virulent or more virulent. Though, time will tell.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    14. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I quote myselft to update: I did NOT get vaccinated, and I have had coronavirus recently. Well, I did not even have fever! It was just throat pain for 7 days and a dull headache... I pretty much slept for 2 days and the rest of the week was just only throat pain...

Well, severe hyperacusis and tinnitus are way worse than COVID-19, and flu can be worse than COVID-19.

I passed COVID-19 like it was nothing... all that fuss about COVID-19 is just insane. This is even lighter than a normal flu!

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    15. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      This take is so ignorant, it borderlines on lunacy.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    16. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It is my personal experience. I am just telling what happened to me.

I am finding a lot of people on forums promoting the benefits of unsafe vaccines for which pharma companies cannot be held responsible, as they have been granted immunity by governments to roll out and distribute the vaccines...

I understand there are a lot of people working for pharma companies or holding stock of those companies and they are anxious for everyone to get vaccinated every 6 months. They are seeking just an economic benefit out of it... but this is just unnecessary and absurd.

• Like Like x 5
    17. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      I didn't take the vaccine, out of the fact that I have seen enough evidence of it causing/worsening tinnitus or hyperacusis, and the cost/benefit analysis just didn't make sense to me.

I'm not even going to get into the political aspect of the virus response, as that is completely tangential to your comment.

To extrapolate your experience with COVID-19 to the virus as a whole being "even lighter than a normal flu" is absurd. The "normal flu" doesn't kill 1.02 million Americans (as of today).

• Hug Hug x 1
    18. Baker

Baker Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, everyone reacts differently. Also, the newer strains seem to not be as bad or severe as the original strain. From reading media reports.

• Agree Agree x 2
    19. Ace
      Musical

Ace Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud jam session on top of years of music performance/mixing
      Nah bruh just because it was a mild case for you does not change the fact that it killed so many people. "All that fuss about COVID-19 is just insane", you say. Look I can't control whether or not people get vaccinated but let's show some respect to the gravity of the situation.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    20. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      My grandma passed COVID-19. 91 years old. The vaccine was not available then. Vaccination started later on, so she was not vaccinated. She had no problem whatsoever to overcome COVID-19. She's totally fine.

Workmates (near retirement.. 60+) also passed COVID-19 unvaccinated, and they are now fine. Only one woman, in her fifties, with overweight, smoker, ended up in the ICU, and she was fine after 10 days too... she did not die or had any lasting secondary effect from COVID-19.

So this may be anecdotal, but I am explaining here that many unvaccinated people pass COVID-19 like it is nothing... and there were some very young people (30s) who had those horrible vaccines and died as a consequence. If they had not been vaccinated, they would be alive, with many years ahead to live. I feel for them.
      The death rate of one disease or event depends on how it is calculated.

In Spain our government changed the criteria to calculate "deaths caused by traffic accidents" and now only those who die immediately in a traffic accident count. This means that someone involved in a traffic accident who dies as a result of it 2 days later is taken out of the statistics.

So it all depends on how the statistics and the numbers are calculated, and the criteria used.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    21. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Ok, so let's say the calculation is wildly flawed, and half the reported deaths are inaccurate.

Does the seasonal flu kill 500,000 Americans in a year?

22. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I am sorry but I will not discuss "statistics", which are always flawed...

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    23. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Interesting. Do you take this approach regarding statistics into other areas of your life as well? When purchasing a home or an automobile, do you ignore the statistics that tell you that "% of similar homes/autos in the area sold for X% more/less than the item you are interested in".

When deciding to buckle up before driving, are you not aware of the statistics behind fatality % in auto accidents where someone was not wearing seatbelt?

How about a less serious example? When choosing where to go for dinner, do you not look at % of 5 star ratings an establishment has?

Or is this approach to statistics compartmentalized to things you don't approve of?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    24. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Yes, I ignore statistics, because I want to buy a car or a home at a good price, not at the median price or the average price. I would be looking for "atypical data" :D
      We are not so complicated in Spain. We just use common sense and sit at the restaurant that is busier haha.

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    25. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      To be aware of the "atypical data" is to account for the "typical data".
      Must be all the napping.

26. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      hj.jpg

• Funny Funny x 5
    27. Static Sophie 73

Static Sophie 73 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medication
      The various Omicron variants circulating currently do not infect lung tissue like the original Wuhan strains / Delta did. It is upper respiratory - we aren’t dealing with the same situation now. The vaccines aren’t terribly effective anymore as they haven’t kept up. It appears the vaxed are the ones still scared of COVID-19...

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. RAA

RAA Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thankfully not many pay attention to his sexist anti climate change and anti vax tin foil hat position. What a total loon.

• Hug Hug x 1
    29. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      If you feel like you need to get vaccinated, then by all means, but vaccine mandates need to get lost though. If you’re still insisting on such a policy at this point in time, I’m side-eyeing you.

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Winner Winner x 1
    30. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      Hey @Juan, what's the story with this Jose Maria Fernandez Sousa-Faro character? Any legs to it?