Audiogram and Other Hearing Test Results

Discussion in 'Support' started by Tinnitus Talk, Jan 5, 2015.

1. makeyourownluck
      Vegged out

makeyourownluck Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Unnecessary.
      Out of interest, how was the dB of your tinnitus measured? I never knew they could do this. I tried hearing aids once and the highest setting didn’t cover my tinnitus, but apart from that, I have no idea.

2. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I honestly don't think you're doing yourself any favors by hovering around this forum. It doesn't matter what hearing loss you have. @Brian Newman and @DocTors_94 have perfect hearing yet the worst tinnitus and noxacusis I have ever seen.

Just protect your ears, don't do loud stuff and you'll be fine :huganimation:

• Like Like x 1
    3. Stuart-T

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      I tried measuring my own using a dB meter app.

Sadly it was over measuring the dB level. 80 dB is supposed to be loud music and yet my app is measuring 80 dB on my laptop speakers playing at half volume.

My idea is to use a white noise generator on YouTube and set the level rough where my tinnitus is - and see how the meter reads.

Frankly 5 dB is less than a whisper.

4. jsalisbury

jsalisbury Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma?
      Curious what others think of this as well. I think my tinnitus seems to be middle ear related but when I went to the Audiology/ENT, I got the usual "do you want some Xanax/Valium/TRT treatment?" and out the door. Question is, does the tympanometry seem correct and are both ears usually the same? Check the attachment "202107.jpg". The weird one is the left, which tends to be the problematic/unstable side. They said the wonkiness was just the machine noise, but I don't tend to see it all over the place in other people?

I got a more recent test as well, which shows 'improved' hearing, but was likely just the result of the test setup since it was in the normal range for both. Unfortunately they didn't do a tympanometry for this one. Check the attachment "202208.jpg".

I guess I should also note, it started in March in a foreign country (I was deployed) so the allergies were likely different and I was in a moldy/dusty military hotel. I had some red phlegm and severe congestion around the same time as a possible acoustic trauma. I never had any real symptoms of an acoustic trauma besides the onset of tinnitus, i.e. no muffled hearing, hyperacusis, TTTS, etc. However, I can induce TTTS if I think about it, but that seems to be the psychological factor of it.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      What makes you think that?

Your hearing looks quite good from the audiogram you posted (I'm jealous), but audiograms don't tell the whole story (see "hidden hearing loss" and synaptopathy).

What about the acoustic trauma: did you or did you not suffer an acoustic trauma? I can't really tell from what you wrote. What was it?

6. jsalisbury

jsalisbury Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma?
      It is all over the place and fluctuates by the minute and seems to be extremely responsive to body posture. For example, sitting down with head forward it will slowly increase over time, but does not do the same with standing. During cardio it whooshes/pounds/screeches with my cadence and ground strike. It gets worse 30 minutes after eating like clockwork. it can be 100% silent or extremely loud and it seems to correlate with the feeling of head pressure and nasal congestion.

I was doing a self hearing test when I was bored and had earbud headphones at full volume at 17 kHz so maybe 115 dB at the eardrum and remember feeling a sharp stabbing pain and that’s the first time I remember hearing tinnitus constantly at the extreme level. But it also coincided with possible COVID-19 exposure in an extremely tight workplace and I did have heavy congestion around the same time. So I’m not sure what actually kicked it off.

For what it’s worth my tinnitus is atonal and very periodic. I’ve never had a real ring like everyone seems to describe. And even from the beginning it could be silent if I stood up and moved around for a period of time. Also, putting my fingers in my ears quiets it for a few seconds every time.

• Informative Informative x 1
    7. CW Dragon
      Lurking

CW Dragon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I'd recommend getting a different audiogram from someone else. I had two from the same health care organization and got different results, my more recent one being better (in hindsight, maybe I should stay with them, just for comparison purposes and not looking at absolute numbers).

8. CW Dragon
      Lurking

CW Dragon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have slight tinnitus in both ears. Right ear is probably around a stable volume 3000 Hz, and left ear is more "awry and lively" - higher frequency. The first audiogram is from 2 days after the trauma that mainly affected my left ear, the second audiogram is about a month later.

I plan on getting an extended audiogram hopefully soon, after my ear fullness has subsided.

upload_2022-9-21_17-47-36.png

upload_2022-9-21_17-50-8.png