Back to Silence

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by I who love music, Dec 7, 2014.

1. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      If we're not taking into consideration the context of the ask, we're not going to be able to understand the nuances here.

When receiving medical care (such as the example you gave, or in ER triaging), there is an incentive to overstate your pain level because that's how you get attention faster. Doctors and nurses know this, and don't only look at your self-reported data.

In the context of scientific studies, that incentive doesn't exist.

For tinnitus in particular, scientific studies often do measure volume (through stimulus matching and adjustment for PTA losses, there's also MML/min masking level - many of us have gone through that with an audiologist). There are many studies that study correlation between loudness and distress (look for them on PubMed, example.

We can keep saying that loudness doesn't matter, and that it's how we deal with the sound that matters, but the science disagrees. It also perpetuates victim blaming ("you're not positive enough! that's what your problem is!") and doesn't encourage finding a real cure (since it really is all in your head, you're just not trying hard enough to get better).

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      The whole pain from 1-10 thing would have more value in my opinion if they calibrated your experience first. "What is the maximum pain level that you have experienced and what were the circumstances?" 10 and burn victim is a lot different than broken finger and 5. Even then it is largely subjective though. In the end I would think that the objective is to make the patient comfortable while monitoring for pain med shopping. I get that it does give them a relative reference for if they have provided adequate relief but the whole thing seems silly to me. They almost always started me off with mild pain relievers after surgery and ratcheted it up if I reported discomfort until I told them that I am good. I am sure that patients mostly figure out what the right answer is to get more drugs if they want them or manage what day they go home.

As far as tinnitus loudness goes, I think it's like pain in that the only thing that matters is "how has this affected your life", a QoL inventory if you will. If it has ruined your life then something needs to be done about it if possible because there is suffering.

My experience with such things is that it's a combination of the characteristic of the sounds (or pain) and how we react to it. The loudness, pitch, distortion, etc matter but so does our reaction. I agree that there is far too much dismissal and assumption that anyone who suffers is just weak. That's ignorance assuming that an illness with an emotional component is not legitimate or that the patient is therefore not worthy of attention. In the end doctors are people and a lot of people are assholes. On the other hand, I see a lot of resistance and push back from patients to work diligently to improve the emotional management of the beast. I started learning about this in the 80s with chronic back pain. Guys like Dr. Sarno did say that it is largely in your head BUT he acknowledged real suffering and spent his career helping people to get better not send them home and tell them they are weak. He would reject them for treatment however if the patient would not accept his premise and want to work with his methods. He had a very good track record, in some cases complete cure for people that in some cases were told that the only option was surgery. Not all but most. Part of getting older is managing the accumulation of injuries and wear out mechanisms so yes, any actual reduction in sounds would be wonderful and a big help but as in most ageing conditions, we have to learn to manage them because many will never have a complete cure. I have many of these myself.

As far as research goes, there either is a profit incentive or there is not and I do not live or work in that space so I don't know the financial dynamics of tinnitus and research. In research I am sure that a calibrated measurement of volume and characteristic is necessary to monitor progress and cause/type but I am sure that there are people at high levels of volume that don't care and the converse is also true.

Does the fact that asshole doctors exist who imply you're weak and send you home to live with it prevent research? I'm not convinced. If it's profitable, they will come. The actual numbers that suffer without relief, the so called 0.1% club, may not be big enough to warrant big research dollars. That's no comfort for those suffering without relief but business is business. The billions in research dollars get handed out largely on presumed ROI. SSRIs and anxiety meds work completely on shit that's in your head but it's big business.

George

• Like Like x 2
    3. Stayinghopeful

Stayinghopeful Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Okay, so yours is 24/7 loud tinnitus too. I just seem to always hear mine so I'd have thousands of lines on my piece of paper as it is ever present.

4. GeorgeLG
      Wishful

GeorgeLG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Leaf blower, rock band, constr & comp shooting, chemo
      Try starting off with your initial emotion and then when it changes write that down or if its always the same for now, maybe every hour or two.

George

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Eliska
      Scared

Eliska Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Infection
      This is an amazing post! I will try this. I hope it will help me.

6. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      So... I realized Back to Silence works but if your tinnitus is reactive, you may push through and keep pushing through noise... and get worse lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Marshall

Marshall Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure/virus/noise trauma/cumulative noise damage
      I guess just do the Back to Silence regimen while also being proactive about your tinnitus not getting worse.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      This is it.

9. Aschenherz
      Cheerful

Aschenherz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017 H since 7/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does this also work for loudness hyperacusis/dysacusis? Like don't let the things stress you and help accept it.

I am two months in with the new symptoms and they make me feel like nothing matters anymore.

10. Henry Orlando FL
      Balanced

Henry Orlando FL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud sound via earbuds from a digital device.
      Here is something I posted on this topic on this thread in the past that might be useful:

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/posts/625600/

• Hug Hug x 1