Coronavirus (SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19) and Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by ajc, Feb 28, 2020.

1. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Ed209,

My thoughts and prayers are with you, I know just what it's like having trouble breathing as a severe asthmatic. COVID-19 is so life threatening for some people.

I hope the extra oxygen helps your sats and soon breathing again unaided as you start to recover.

Bless you Eddie and lots of love and hugs to you xxx

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      @Ed209, I hope your health team treats you well and that you recover as quickly as possible.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Piet

Piet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Probably prolonged headphone use
      Hey thanks for the reply! How long did your spike last? Mine is still going on. I think it's been like almost 2 months now, very high pitched hiss with sometimes an electrical zap. Very weird. I'm staying positive although sometimes it's hard. My vitamine D level was like 25 instead of the normal 75 i found after with my ENT so currently on supplements for that. Hoping it gets better soon!

4. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @Ed209, I understand how awful this COVID-19 virus is and hope that you will continue to improve and return home quickly as possible. I admire your strength to fight this horrible condition. No one really gets "it" until it happens to them or someone they love. I wasn't in the hospital because all beds were taken when I was struck down with COVID-19.

Lucky to have recuperated at home after a couple of months. I still have COVID-19 fog brain, depression and the tinnitus and hyperacusis is higher than ever. And the rash on the palms of my hands has not gone away. I am able to now walk around for exercise without being crippled with fatigue so I am hopeful you will get there also.

Another person @Piet wrote about having COVID-19 and low Vitamin D levels. This happened to me also after having a recent full blood work up done. My level dropped horribly and had to take a prescription high level D. Prior to this everything was normal. I am (was) a runner and in good physical condition. My body did not process the prescription D so I am finding ways to improve the level. I find it interesting @Piet also had low level D after the virus.

This does affect younger healthy people although the focus is on those over 65 here in the States. I cannot get the vaccine until "they" lower the age limit. And I want those front line workers in all fields to be first in line. My husband is much older and thank God he did not contact the virus from me. I stayed quarantined in our little guest room for two weeks, alone. Like tinnitus, is is a very isolating experience. He got his first shot last week and is scheduled for his second March 11.

The world will never be the same after this. I am sorry for your kids having to witness this at such a young age.

Thanks for the update because I think of you and your family every day and check here to see how you are doing.

Some people ask how I got "it". We were always in lock down but did do grocery shopping for us and elderly neighbors. Never had contact with them always leaving the groceries on their front porch it was the highlight of their day to wave at us through their picture window. Always wore a mask and took all precautions. They are healthy and did not get COVID-19.

According to my doctors the only place I could been exposed to COVID-19 was from the grocery store or pharmacy when we were doing neighborhood care runs last year.

So those reading do not let your guard down. Ever.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    5. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My tinnitus got significantly worse and developed two new tones after having almost entirely asymptomatic COVID-19. While visiting audiology clinics, health care professionals have told me they've seen many people getting tinnitus from no other reason that COVID-19.

My tinnitus has not improved for over 3 months after getting COVID-19.

• Hug Hug x 4
      • Informative Informative x 3
    6. Piet

Piet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sun has been shining a lot lately and I have been sitting in it for hours. And the next couple of days I notice a bit quieter tinnitus so I really hope it will go back to baseline after my vitamin D levels return to normal.

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Piet

Piet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I also developed a new low static tone in my left ear that has been tinnitus free. I can only hear it sometimes though in a very quiet room. And a high hiss in my right ear where I have my original tone from 2.5 years ago. It's not really maskable but I'm coping better with it. All we can do is stay positive and just try to habituate again.

End of March FX-322 results will be out and from previous trials, it looks promising.

I'm only 20 years old and have the hearing of a 40-year-old but I'm coping with it a little bit better every day. You will be fine too!

8. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hey @Ed209, you were on my mind during work today and I just thought what a sick joke life is playing on you. I wish you a lot of strength to muster this situation and I hope that you will be better soon.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    9. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      My tinnitus worsened from no apparent reason before "COVID-19" was a thing as well as reasons that I could speculate on.

But, let's all blame a flu for it now. It causes everything. :rolleyes:

10. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Hi @Ed209,
      Hope you're on the mend buddy.

All your pals here are thinking of you daily.

xx
      Daniel

• Friendly Friendly x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    11. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Still in hospital at the moment, Daniel.

• Hug Hug x 10
    12. Kriszti

Kriszti Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016/2017/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Is there any change? Rooting for a speedy recovery, Ed. :huganimation:

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Ed209,
      Thinking of you and hope you are feeling a little better.

Love Glynis xx

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    14. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      Me too @Ed209. I wonder each day if you are improving enough to go home. Can hospital do a blood work test for your vitamin D level? Just curious because so little is actually known about this virus and my doctors said her patients recovering from COVID-19 were all diagnosed with very low levels of it after recovery. My level was perfect before getting it. I have to take a mega prescription D for a while to prevent future issues. Ugg.

Are you still on the ventilator? Hope your kids and wife are doing okay.

@Piet, you are quite young and I am sure after getting enough sunshine, your level will be normal soon. Is your tinnitus subsiding yet?

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    15. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      You look better than me in the hospital with an oxygen mask on, what's up with that?

Thinking of you and waiting for the good news of you being discharged and back at home.

Peace out @Ed209.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    16. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      No new normal:

COVID-19 vaccines don't mean quick return...

Another "conspiracy theory" becomes true.

Next, current vaccines don't work on "new strands" resistant to current vaccines. Yep, I predicted again for you.

17. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I'm back home now, but I've never felt so strange in my life. I feel like I'm in another dimension and have zero energy or ability to comprehend basic things. A basic task feels like a ton of effort is required. I guess this is the brain fog some talk about.

My breathing is nowhere near right and I sense it is going to take a long time for me to feel any semblance of normality again. I'm weak as hell.

I'm hoping this is short lived. At least I'm out of hospital, though.

My tinnitus remains unaffected. It returned to normal as it did before.

• Hug Hug x 9
      • Like Like x 2
    18. Piet

Piet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I am indeed quite young. It's horrible for someone like my age. But I guess there is nothing to do about it.

About my tinnitus... some days are louder than others. It's still fluctuating day by day. Not seeing any significant improvements but my health is getting better though by the week. All I can do is hope these vitamin D supplements and me sitting in the sun will reduce the tinnitus in the coming months. But as of now it has been the same for like 2 months.

• Hug Hug x 1
    19. Jack V

Jack V Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      1/2020
      Good that you're home. Take it easy and get better soon!

• Like Like x 4
    20. glynis
      Feminine

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      @Ed209,

So happy to hear you're home xx
      Lots of rest and go at your own pace.

Love,
      Glynis xx

• Hug Hug x 1
    21. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @Ed209 this virus is unrelenting as you have experienced. I went through the same exact physical and psychological experiences. The extreme fatigue like crawling to the bathroom because I didn't have the strength to stand really affected my brain. Zero comprehension also. But... within a few months I began improving. Unfortunately, it takes patience, but you will get back to physical normal.

Keep a daily journal of some sort and write about the little steps you are progressing with. Write your feelings also. Sometimes it will be one line and maybe a paragraph.

Unfortunately, because COVID-19 attacked my ears, throat and brain my tinnitus and hyperacusis never improved and it was bad to begin with. I am not sure of my future.

I was pissed off because back then no one cared about people dying of COVID-19. In the United States, everything was about politics and protests and spreading hate everywhere to everyone. It infuriated me. So I quit talking and left a previous support board where there was nothing said to comfort me. Just talk about hate of each political side.

This did not make my recovery easy. And the COVID-19 virus is not important now - just politicized.

Be easy on yourself for the next few weeks if possible. You will start to feel better. I remember feeling so detached from the world. Like when I first got tinnitus. Like being under a glass dome alone watching the world continue on.

If possible get out for short drives if your wife is able to do the driving. We do this often. Drive along the coast line and take a picnic lunch and sit on the cliffs and take in the fresh air and sights. Something to get you out of the house safely.

It is okay to sleep all day for a few weeks. That was hard for me. I was always very active.

Thanks for the update and glad you are now home.

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 2
    22. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The first time I caught COVID-19 I didn't have such a severe reaction and I recovered fairly quickly. This time has changed everything, though. I'm living through a fog of confusion. It's utterly bizarre. I can only keep moving forward until I feel I'm becoming myself again.

The politicisation of it got out of hand a long time ago, and people still continue to protest this stuff online without having the first clue as to what they are talking about. This won't change. I mean it still happens on here in face of all the evidence we have. People will believe whatever they want at this point as it's become almost a religion to think one way or the other, and it is 100% tribal. The science for these people never really mattered.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    23. Starthrower
      Wtf

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I understand because I was in the same state of "brain fog" for a while. I think partly this is because of the trauma caused from being infected and not really knowing how it happened. Even though I was home, I was isolated in a small room for two weeks. I didn't want to infect my husband.

You have lived a lot of trauma with your mom's illness as I remember reading a while back. And like here in California, at least where we live, in the first round of shut down and lock down, it was pure terror.

Then you were stricken down seriously a second time and hospitalized and put on oxygen. And no way to have your wife or family visit. The isolation combined with the virus is awful.

The brain fog and psychical fatigue will gradually ease up. Be patient and like you said each moment you can move forward embrace it.

We went for local drives just to get some fresh air. My four wheel drive has a large sun roof and I loved the feel of warm sunshine on my face.

Then... one day we were on our picnic drive and headed into Trump International Golf Club along the coast here about fifteen minutes from our home. A very serene place. But, on that day as we took the long drive way towards the golf course, a sudden protest came out of nowhere. We had to actually put it in four wheel drive and drive on the side of the golf course to exit the scene. It was horrifying to say the least. A hundred or more people were not wearing masks and angry and yelling. This still haunts me.
      I agree 100 percent. And it is still occurring. The entire world is just fucked up and there will be no normal as we once knew it. No hand shaking. Fear of people outside of your "bubble".

We have to just adjust our lives to this now. I have no patience for ignorance anymore. The science backs the information.

Anyways, how are you doing after a few days at home now? Remember to get outside for a bit and feel the fresh air and breathe. You will heal.

24. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      My Oklahomie sent me this a few minutes ago from the Denver Airport:

Capture+_2021-02-27-18-06-21(1).png

• Like Like x 1
    25. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      Ed, I just wanted you to know that I was genuinely wishing you well, that you recover and feel better.

I already know what you think of me but I am not heartless. I just think differently than you. I know how it is to suffer.

I have done hours and hours of research on COVID-19. I don't know how much you have done. It's difficult doing any kind of intense and focused work especially reading, with loud, severe, tinnitus.

I hope you feel better and that you get help with any further respiratory issues, if there are any.

Take care, man.

I hope you read this.

26. Piet

Piet Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey guys,

So currently I'm experiencing a spike in my tinnitus and I'm trying to find out the reason why.

It's been almost 2 months now and I'm very scared this is my new baseline. It's loud and I can't mask it.

My tinnitus is noise-induced and started mild a couple of years ago.

I caught the coronavirus and still have small symptoms to this day so slowly recovering.

I went to the ENT and my bloodwork was fine except for Vitamin D. I'm currently on supplements for that.

I'm just wanting to ask if there is somebody else experiencing the same as mine and if my tinnitus will go back to baseline when I'm fully healthy again?

I'm only 21 years old and I'm really struggling with this right now.

I can hear just fine and never exposed myself to any loud sounds that could damage my ears, but lately it's just gotten worse. What else could i do to prevent further damage i'm clueless

Is it anything else that could cause this except for catching COVID-19?

Please share some knowledge if you have some or if you are experiencing the same as me.

Thanks.

• Hug Hug x 1
    27. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      @Piet Since you don't have a deficiency in vitamins other than vitamin D, the only other supplement that I would consider is magnesium Glycinate. Taking magnesium once a day won't help much. Total amount taken daily needs to be divided into thirds - one third three times a day.

Once it's realized that anyone can get hearing loss tinnitus, during the early stages of hearing loss tinnitus, it's best not to focus on it or talk about it.

28. PeteJ
      Aggressive

PeteJ Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma?
      My tinnitus got worse over time. I attribute it to loud noises that happened. I didn't go to loud places. These are loud sounds that the average person probably could be exposed to without getting tinnitus although maybe it depends on what one's ear condition is.

You are young so there's many variables, imho. I dare suggest that a young person with severe/loud tinnitus is probably rare but in today's society, we are exposed to loud noises and sounds than ever before.

Loud music in earphones/headphones, loud work environments, whatever. I tend to think loud noise or acoustic trauma both triggers tinnitus or worsens it (worsens from baseline) but often the loud noise we are exposed to is out of our control.

This probably doesn't help but is primarily intended to be food for thought and my two cents.

29. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      • Informative Informative x 4
    30. one-light
      Sunshine

one-light Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/adrenalin + forgetting to breathe enough when online
      I put this on other forums today, so why not here to share with others - I hope you are feeling better now Ed209...

I was given some guidance/instructions early hours this morning, but prior to the instructions – this song was going through my head Keane with the words 'voices in my head' going over… So the instructions I got a short while after, were to remove much of the virus information from my website and focus on self healing / power of the mind talks, which I have one booked for next week at a teaching foundation…

I'm to remove some virus text that's been updated and updated over the past year, and replace with my talks information procedures and ‘this’ - that I'm not only to keep on going with our church regeneration project ‘when it happens’ waiting on Elders right now, but to push in a different way – to use my time to persuade people in the UK and worldwide, to ‘do their bit’ to help ‘all churches’ regenerate…

So after the up I’m saying in mind to Higher Self – ok I got all that, but why’s tinnitus still up when message is received, and also why the song when I know what was said? And it wasn’t until I was in my garden having a coffee and a skinny cig when so often I get guidance again, then I suddenly realise that its because I’m to put it on here as well – I had no intention, was just going on my website…

I’m to say, as I was told before when the Holy Spirit gave me initial information on this some months ago - I had written about it online, but then put it to back of my mind, ‘GOD DOESN’T WANT HIS CHURCHES CLOSING’ as is happening to many shops this very moment – we are to fight to keep them open, people will need them worldwide...

So my message to people reading, who may have time on their hands – don’t leave it to someone else, go and help one of the nearby churches, in time physically, or now with an online regeneration project, but help with one - and not putting it off until next week/month, but 'now' do something with your spare time – be that person that puts themselves out ‘beyond the call of duty’ – God will be watching and smiling…

And as finishing writing here, my song came on with the words 'lets get down to business' - coincidence some will say... I'm going to get on with it now from here... I can't do it on my own, I'm just the messenger - do something you looking on, if not personally for whatever reason, then suggest the regeneration project to others with time on their hands, or not - make time, to get some action going with chat and promises online...

Have a good day all, stay positive...

EDIT:

I'd just like to say as I was talking spiritual, I was an ordinary car mechanic for 30 years, then the last decade I got involved with delivering church invitation flyers to display on 140 shop counters in our town... Over the years I delivered 30,000 - then somewhere along the way my hyperacusis and tinnitus and the depression and weight loss that came along with it, got so bad it nearly killed me - after an NDE I would get what's known as Angel Sparkles, and I learned stuff and was advised to research...

So my advice to anyone in a dark place right now with difficult mind/brain issues - 'no giving up' ending it - it's not the way, we are to see our life plan through, all the way - get help now, do it, get someone on your side... Then maybe do as I did, research power of the mind / self healing energy...

I learned how to retrain my sound system to accept sounds again, and how to hibernate tinnitus for many hours to give us a break from it, and how to lower it - power of the mind, look it up, there's keys in knowledge for improved health...

Good luck, get help if needed, and ease off on the screen time, print and recycle, keep brightness sensible, and some time in nature, high 'vibes' energy those trees...

• Friendly Friendly x 1