Does Personality Type (Introvert vs. Extrovert) Influence the Experience of Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by SeekIngAlpha, Sep 6, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. SeekIngAlpha

SeekIngAlpha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Does your personality type influence how bad tinnitus is perceived or likelihood of experiencing it at all?
    2. Fangen

Fangen Member Benefactor

Stockholm, Sweden
      Tinnitus Since:
      December 2nd, 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (loud concert for 1h)
      I think a lot of members here (don't take it the wrong way anyone), have had some kind of history with anxiety or depression. Now, that does not mean that we can generalize it for everybody with T. I think anxiety lead to a lot of thoughts and worrying, which might cause the perception of having T be much worse. My therapist said something once, that I seem like a very logical person and my fear of loud noises in itself is logical with the arguments that I give her. But it is still not logical to freak out for every single sound. Due to being logical or be good at reasoning, she thought that it might be the reason for my anxiety because I tried to find logic in a place where no logic exist (T).
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      I have no history what so ever of anxiety. You don't have to have a mental disorder for sirens in your brain and non stop pain in the ears to be distracted and bothered. I wish people would stop generalizing. You have a accident and now you are considered by many to of had a mental illness all your life.
      • Agree Agree x 2
    4. Lorac

Lorac Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden profound hearing loss in left ear.
      I perceive tinnitus because it's there to perceive. It is the result of profound hearing loss.
      I am more of an introvert and that does help me in the grand scheme of things. I don't cope well in loud social situations now and I think that would be a bigger problem if were an extrovert. Mostly, I miss making music.