Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Philip83
      Jaded

Philip83 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Moped (2001) Noise blast (2014) Club (2017) Snowboard (2018)
      Do you know if there is any date locked in for that podcast yet?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      I have not heard a firm date yet. I'm sure @Markku will let all of us know though...

• Like Like x 1
    3. patorjk
      No Mood

patorjk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several reasons
      Any thoughts on when this month Frequency Therapeutics will release the data? These dates were previously brought up, and they seem the most likely to me:
      • March 3, National Hearing Day
      • March 22 (3-22): Frequency Therapeutics has to have realized this date matches with their drug number. It's a pretty amusing coincidence and it lines up with their time frame. If they release towards the end of the month, I can't see them not using this date.
      Another option is as soon as they're ready. If we assume they got the data in early February, that means they've had it for 2-3 weeks. I'm not sure how long they'd need before they could release it.

• Like Like x 3
    4. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Is there a date in mind when we are going to find out the results for Phase 2?

Honestly I've been through AM-101, AUT00063, Lenire, numerous sound therapies (ACRN), all went through the same hype I've seen with FX-322. It was a let down after a let down after a let down.

Will FX-322 be THE ONE?

• Like Like x 3
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    5. Diesel

Diesel Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      20+ Years of Live Music, Motorcycles, and Power Tools
      They seem to like doing Tuesday announcements. I highly doubt they'll announce on a Friday. I also don't think they'll go any later than March 25.

Not saying they would... but the 10b5-1 withdrawals are due this week or next for certain executives... they'd get a nice little bonus to get those results out this week...

I hope they do it after-market instead of pre-market. Selfishly, won't be as distracting during the work day. But, would give the AP overnight to spin the press on morning news.

• Informative Informative x 2
    6. Keith Handy
      Ape-like

Keith Handy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress + sleep deprivation + noise
      This may be a good month... but it's also going to be a long month.

• Agree Agree x 4
    7. Zugzug

Zugzug Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Autoimmune hyperacusis from Sjogren's Syndrome
      Haha, I seriously doubt that any cute date will be chosen. With this being said, if they choose March 14, it will be a long day if you know what I mean...

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    8. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      The Otonomy episode is due to be recorded this month, but the date has not been locked in yet. Of course the episode doesn't get out the same day; there's a lot of work that goes into this.

Example of an earlier Tinnitus Talk Podcast episode:
      • 5 hours - Inviting guest(s), coordination, technical set-up (we book time with guest(s) for a test run to confirm everything works)
      • 5 hours - Preparing questions and interview structure
      • 3 hours - Recording the episode (it's not just joining a session, pressing record, and all is done, there are steps before and after)
      • 20 hours - Audio editing (this can sometimes be "just" 5-10 hours, depending on how meticulous we want to be)
      • 15 hours - Transcription
      • 10 hours - Publication (writing blurbs and the publication process)
      • 10 hours - Marketing and engagement
      I prefer to avoid giving estimates, I hate to disappoint anyone, but usually it's about a week after the recording date that we're ready to publish. With the Frequency Therapeutics episode I literally spent a couple all-nighters on it to speed up the pre-publication work because the interest was unprecedented. Hazel, Autumnly and our transcribers also went to great lengths. I will give the Otonomy interview my best effort too.

The awesome @FGG and @mrbrightside614 will be joining us for the episode, and that of course adds a couple of moving parts. We already tested @FGG's setup and, once we have the date ready for the actual date, we need to get @mrbrightside614 ready as well which also takes some planning.

As was with the Frequency Therapeutics episode, it is in our plans to offer the episode first to our patrons since they make this work possible and we want to show them our gratitude. This includes anyone who is our monthly donor, or a part of our Patreon program here. Availability for others will follow some days later.

Thanks to everyone who so generously gives their time and help. This month is definitely special, and it also happens to be Tinnitus Talk's 10-year anniversary on the March 5th...

• Like Like x 29
      • Winner Winner x 10
    9. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      I hope that person from last time doesn’t pull out the white privilege card for getting pissed that Tinnitus Talk released the Frequency Therapeutics episode for Patreon users one week before everyone else could see it.

Tinnitus Talk has a right on what they do with the content they post. If they want to put it under a paywall for a week, I have no problem with that as this is another way for them recuperate their ongoing costs for running Tinnitus Talk and the Tinnitus Talk Podcast.

• Funny Funny x 1
    10. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      The problem with BHV-4157 for those with tinnitus is that participants need treatment with a stable dosage regimen of AD medications (Acetylcholinesterase inhibitors (AchEI) and/or Memantine) for at least 3 months prior to screening. They are also required to remain on this dosage regimen for the duration of the trial.

The map for Glutamate regulation for many neurological diseases has been established and is most interesting to read. I will post it on another thread. Brain zaps and brain electrical currents caused by trauma to hearing or even very short use of certain antidepressants' travels by the auditory nerve to the brain. From hormones to sinus infection travel (jaw) causing tinnitus was mapped out about 2 years ago. I wouldn't be surprised if FREQ and SAGE enters the batter box for Glutamate regulation. A biotech or two may start trials on drug induced tinnitus. Hopefully, in another few years, we will start to see safe treatments on all of this.

• Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. Barpis

Barpis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSRI
      Many sources say that after a few months tinnitus is stored/stuck in the brain.

If FX-322 restores hair cells, does it let people to get relief from tinnitus?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    12. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      We simply don't know, it's one of the theories.

To be honest, if FX-322 doesn't end up curing my tinnitus & hyperacusis, but making it stable (because the hair cells have recovered), I'd already be a very happy man.

13. serendipity1996
      No Mood

serendipity1996 Member Podcast Patron Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 - T, 2016- H, relapsed 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise-induced
      If it were truly "stuck" in the brain then why do we have anecdotal reports of tinnitus improvement from Phase 1/2? Or the many reports of tinnitus reduction from hearing aids and cochlear implants.

I feel like this question gets raised a lot and we need some kind of disclaimer that clearly says no it does not get "stuck" in the brain! It's also not "brain damage" either, as some seem to think.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    14. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Ebselen (SPI-1005), among other effects, helps prevent the effects of Glutamate hyperexcitabilty. We may soon already have a useful drug for this imo.

• Like Like x 2
    15. patorjk
      No Mood

patorjk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several reasons
      Hopefully FX-322 will be able to put an end to that theory. We'll find out this month when they release a summary of the Phase 2a results (the first 90 days). Also, as an aside, people who get cochlear implants often experience reduced tinnitus. This supports the idea that tinnitus is caused by a lack of input rather than the brain memorizing and repeating a sound.

• Like Like x 4
      • Creative Creative x 1
    16. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Theory is that (some) hearing aid users get some relief from tinnitus so the whole idea speculated here is that increasing input to the brain with regenerated hearing is that the same will happen with Frequency Therapeutics' PCA approach, perhaps even better as hearing aids only amplify certain frequencies.

• Like Like x 2
    17. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      This gets discussed every 3-5 pages. Any chance you could scroll back so I don't have to look for it again? Lol.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    18. Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

Lol there's no such thing as "stored in the brain." That's just not how plasticity works, there's an example given by @Jrblovsky I believe and the current research points to the opposite too. I'd love to look at the "sources" for this bold claim.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    19. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      When I listen to various neuromodulation sound therapy videos on YouTube, the sounds physically feel "smooth" on my brain/ear. It's like the concoction of the frequencies fills in missing spots and soothes my ear. Now this doesn't work for my deeper wine glass sounds, but the high pitched dentist drill/electronic cricket sounds almost dissipate momentarily. I've spoken to a few who have the same effect.

I don't buy the "stuck in the brain" theories because tinnitus does go away for some. I've spoken to people who have had it go away over a year later or lower to the point where it's barely audible and this was from different types of trauma (acoustic, ear infection, and so on).

I think what happens is either something physically changes in the ear, or some people's brains are just better at "adjusting" and eventually the sound gets better/goes away. Maybe reduced inflammation too.

• Like Like x 4
    20. Diesel

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You all do realize, that even if FX-322 shows that it is effective on SNHL/NIHL tinnitus, people will still come here asking if it’s stuck in the brain or brain damage.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Funny Funny x 1
    21. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      4zzmtv.jpg

• Funny Funny x 15
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    22. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      If that were true, think about it, ear wax could cause brain damage.

• Agree Agree x 1
    23. Orions Pain
      Sad

Orions Pain Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      I think most people here should not fret about it too much unless their issues stem directly from something like a TBI or whiplash. Even in that case, if cochlear tinnitus can be reversed by fixing that missing input, the same is probable for other issues, it would just be a matter of locating what is driving the tinnitus.

Perhaps people who get it from a car crash already have some hearing damage, and a traumatic blow to the head just disrupts something and enables them to hear the tinnitus that was originally sound induced.

This is all wild speculation of course.

This is why I think devices like Susan Shore's will still hold their place in this area of treatment.

• Agree Agree x 2
    24. Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

Lol. Also "brain damage", all those types of claims are made by the TRT types to try and push back against the coming wave of regenerative medicine.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. Diesel

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ... BUT WHAT IF IT DOES ...

• Funny Funny x 4
    26. paul mclean

paul mclean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      falling asleep with headphones in on loud
      28 days or less now. Yes I am counting.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    27. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      It's worth noting that in one of the success stories here, a guy had ear wax induced tinnitus, and I believe after cleaning it took 12-24 months to go away. Not saying at all that it causes brain damage, but we may need to be patient after hearing regeneration for our brains to normalize.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Informative Informative x 3
    28. Diesel

Tinnitus Since:
      1-2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Frequency Therapeutics does note that the tinnitus data at 90-days is 'partial ... could mean the brain takes a while to adjust.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. Tezcatlipoca
      Question it

Tezcatlipoca Member

Congratulations, you figured it out.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    30. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Neuroplasticity can definitely take time but did they have microsuction to remove the wax?