Having Hyperacusis While Owning a Dog

Discussion in 'Support' started by weab00, Oct 3, 2020.

1. weab00
      Gloomy

weab00 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      some good mf music
      I've had pain hyperacusis for 5 weeks. I own a yellow lab whose barks can go up to 80-90 dB. Every time she barks in the same room as me, I feel like I get setback. Pain, distortions, and fluctuating tinnitus occur.

It happened again today and I'm really frustrated because my ears were feeling a little better.

I'm at a loss for what to do.

Does anyone else with hyperacusis own a loud-barking dog? I need advice.

2. Darryl Colebank
      Depressed

Darryl Colebank Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown--depression? Hyperacusis and tinnitus
      Hi,

I have a large dog with a loud bark. I have trained him to not bark at every little thing like some dogs do. I got him before hyperacusis and tinnitus and so I had barking mostly under control when hyperacusis and tinnitus came on. Get a bark collar and teach your dog not to bark.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    3. GBB

GBB Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2016-2019 (Mild, Cured) 8/2020 (Severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus / Microsuction / Acoustic Trauma
      Give the dog hyperacusis so it won’t bark and now you have a hyperacusis companion.

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. Marin
      Happy

Marin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL (probably previous noise exposure, too)
      I have a large dog who barks and it’s terrible. He has a bark collar, but he will still get one or two barks out if he’s really riled up.

The worst thing is his tail! He feels the need to loudly whack it against every hard surface in the house. I have started wearing earmuffs when I leave my bedroom in the morning because I know he’ll be waiting outside my door just ready to whack his tail loudly against the hallway. It’s a losing battle...

PS the dog in question isn’t the one in my profile pic. I sure miss that quiet little guy ❤️

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    5. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      Yes, I give my dog treats to try and distract him from barking. If it's a hard day and I really need him to be quiet, I spray him with a spray bottle of water gently. Now, all I have to do is lift the bottle up and he will look away.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Stacken77
      Wishful

Stacken77 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise (likely headphones & cars), Acoustic trauma did me in
      I'd like to get a dog in the future, since these conditions probably will leave me rather lonely (a cat is out of the question since I'm allergic).

I have pretty bad loudness hyperacusis, so I guess it's hard to reconcile that with barking, but do anyone have some recommendation for breeds with a quieter bark?

• Hug Hug x 1
    7. Marin
      Happy

Marin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSNHL (probably previous noise exposure, too)
      I had a pug that NEVER barked. He did make snorting noises, but they weren’t loud. Pugs are excellent companions, too. I’ve also heard that French bulldogs can be quiet.

I’m dying to get another dog since all of mine have passed away, but I need for my severe pain hyperacusis to improve first so I can at least take it outside for walks.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Mary97

Mary97 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma but diagnosed with otosclerosis
      Hi. My Golden Retriever's bark is loud but he only barks when he's super excited, super hungry or desperate to go potty, which come to think of it is kind of often. But what absolutely kills my ears is when he wants to go for a ride and of course have the window down. We try and go early and take less traveled back roads but inevitably my ears get blasted and to be honest, it makes me super anxious and upset for the rest of the day... but he's my baby and I love him.

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. tjd3355

tjd3355 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Hi - I’m experiencing the same with my barrel-chested and very communicative Catahoula pit mix.

Bark collar is a good idea as someone else suggested - a couple times of low level shock (or frequency, can’t remember) was all it took and now I can usually just put it on her with it turned off and she knows not to bark. I haven’t been doing this though lately, and I am currently in a setback of constant pain for days due to my dog barking at my friend and her young child coming to visit... the kid screamed next to me too, so that’s another. Seems like I have an accidental loud noise exposure every few days which makes me anxious and the steps backward makes me feel like this is never going to heal...

I love my dog though, we’ve been together 12 years, and will be willing to wear muffs around her for a while just to have her around as good company. I have already started to wear plugs in public just until the pain and reactivity to sound settles a bit.

I healed from a year or so time of hyperacusis with her around about 6 years ago and we were able to coexist but I was way out in the woods with few visitors.

Speaking of which, I also try to reduce her bark triggers - seeing stuff out the window (close the shades), people coming by (I will know now to put earplugs in), playing (I don’t get her as riled as I usually would), etc .

Good luck, it’s nice to have a friend around to go through this with, hopefully you two can work it out :)

10. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      You'll find lists on the internet of quietest dog breeds that includes the French Bulldog, Papillon and Shih Tzu. But what they don't tell you is that the Shih Tzu can howl like a Banshee to make up for it!

Oh and don't get a Lhasa Apso like we did. They're only small but they bark at anything that moves.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    11. Vicki14
      Panicky

Vicki14 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      I agree! I have two! Talk about bring between a rock and a hard place! X

12. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Get police training for your doge.

They’ll only bark on command ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    13. Matchbox
      Wishful

Matchbox Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced, Prednisone (drones), Barotrauma (distortions)
      Get a cat. Dogs are coolio but only if they are quiet imo. Even before tinnitus.

I used to have an older dog that never barked unless the doorbell rang. And that she learned from other dumbass dogs.

• Funny Funny x 1
    14. Babette

Babette Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      This is my first time - first message in any sort of forum. Found out about it from University of Iowa! Thanks Iowa!

This is my pup. I've had tinnitus for 30 years but didn't know what it was until I developed hyperacusis. As a puppy he would bark for attention if I watched TV. I trained him to stop almost immediately by spraying/misting water on his face with a very small sprayer. A few more times and all I had to do was show him the bottle. Maybe that will work. I used to have labs and if they had barked I would have tried the same thing!

• Winner Winner x 1
    15. twa
      Busy

twa Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2017- mild /Sept. 2020-moderate
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds/acoustic trauma
      @Marin, how have you been?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    16. Sointu
      No Mood

Sointu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (also maybe med withdrawal)
      I had a perfect dog for a person with hyperacusis. My dog almost never barked during her whole life. My poor dog also lost hearing so she was deaf in the old days and even lost her voice. :( She tried to bark sometimes outside to other dogs but not a lot of sound came out. The problem was though that other dogs did bark when they saw my dog. I made a mistake a week after my acoustic trauma when I went to a dog park. Usually it is almost empty. That time there were multiple bigger dogs that started to bark near me. I used to go there often and just automatically walked there without thinking my acoustic trauma induced hyperacusis. Ouch!

After my dog passed away I have been thinking about getting a puppy some day. I miss having a dog. I am a dog person, I have always been. I miss my old dog but maybe some day I could take new puppy. The problem is, I am not sure am I able to get a dog when I have hyperacusis. I have understood there are certain dog breeds that are quieter, that don´t bark as much. But of course it depends on the dog, some dogs bark more than others even if they are the same breed. Of course training is also important and matters.

I don´t know is it too big a risk of having a dog with hyperacusis. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. SaraK18

SaraK18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sound exposure
      @Sointu, I am in the same boat. I really want to get another dog. I feel like it would be so healing. I had a Chihuahua for many years who almost didn’t bark at all. I know that breed can go either way but it so much depends on the individual! I don’t think she barked one time for the first seven or eight years of her life. Perfect hyperacusis dog!

• Like Like x 2
    18. Sointu
      No Mood

Sointu Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma (also maybe med withdrawal)
      An update to my old post: I got a puppy after my old dog passed away. When I got the puppy, my hyperacusis had improved to the point I could walk outside using earplugs and did not have to use ear protection at home most of the time (only when I am doing the dishes or using vacuum cleaner etc). During my worst hyperacusis I did not even think about getting a dog. When I was waiting for the puppy, I experienced a hyperacusis spike and I was thinking what on earth am I doing, how I am going to cope with the puppy if it barks. I was even using double protection outside during that spike. But I decided to get the puppy anyways, taking some kind of risk. I decided to avoid breeds that are said to bark a lot. I got the same breed that my previous dog was. My previous dog was so quiet I first thought does it ever learn how to bark.

And this dog has also been a quiet one luckily. It is more "talkative" than my previous one, for example it whines more but it is not a barker either, which is great considering my hyperacusis. I have heard it bark sometimes outside but the bark does not bother my ears. I usually wear ear protection when I go outside with it. I have tried to socialize my dog and there have been some situations that have hurt my ears, like when one Great Schnauzer started to bark next to me (I had earplugs in) or suddenly multiple dogs started barking. I usually leave further away when I am feeling discomfort. I have been able to go to dog parks and dog training courses wearing ear protection.

I find having a dog and pet to be therapeutic when having tinnitus because it helps me think other things and not concentrate on my tinnitus as much. Of course it wouldn´t be as therapeutic if the dog barked constantly at home when having hyperacusis. But luckily it isn´t the case.

19. Jammer

Jammer Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I had cats until they died over the last several years. Very quiet compared to dogs.

20. Stuart-T
      Thinking

Stuart-T Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear wax or COVID-19 infection
      I was out walking with a friend who has a dog. It was barking and I thought - wow that is loud. She actually said to me that the barking is so loud it hurts her ears and it makes her angry with him. I said nothing about my tinnitus but have not been out walking with her again.

• Funny Funny x 2