Hough Ear Institute's Hair Cell Regeneration Project

Discussion in 'Research News' started by all to gain, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Watch Hazel share good news about tinnitus
    1. DimLeb

DimLeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14/03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic Cochleopathy Or Maybe Loud Music
      @Kam75, being tested as a cancer treatment sounds (at least) very confusing in terms of how it would actually work either against tinnitus or cancer.

It's either a super drug that has the potential to cure everything or it's just another big failure of a drug that does nothing (like all ear-related medicine at the moment). :dunno:

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Lukee

Lukee Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Wim Hof Breathing Exercises
      No, it means their drug is safe (enough to go to Phase 2). It does not mean it works.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    3. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      It was originally designed for tinnitus and hearing loss and was tested for years in pre-clinical trials. Never tested on humans...

It did pass Phase 1 clinical trials in 2014 for safety. In Phase 1 they take people who have no ear problems and give them the drug to see what doses are tolerated. All the other research Hough Ear Institute claims is from years of studies in mice and other mammals.

They might still be doing research and testing it - we have no idea. But Oblato is who made the deal with Hough Ear Institute to being the drug through the rest of the trials. I’m guessing they found out half of the drug HPN-07 combined with Temozolomide to treat glioblastoma.

If you look at Oblato’s website you will see nothing about hearing loss or tinnitus being treated. To me it looks like Oblato realized there is much more money to be made with cancer treatments and brain problems. They realized tinnitus and hearing loss drugs have for a long time been known to fail notoriously. They don’t most likely want to take the chance.

That’s good and bad news. We can get our hands on it much easier but there is no solid evidence it works on humans; only mice. Gotta hope for the best.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    4. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Yup, only in mice... And research studies.

5. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Well Hough Ear Institute said they haven’t even started Phase 2 for tinnitus yet. The said they want to do a 2-year study that ends next year to be sure it works before investing more into the drug. That’s what Hough Ear Institute said. Oblato is using the drug for other purposes; they are the biotech company who wants to bring it to market.

To be honest it getting approved specifically for ear problems is unlikely but if it works for cancer stuff then it will definitely get approved. Then all we gotta do is have some people try it out, go to our ENTs with a case that it could help and get it prescribed. Yeah, I have a good hunch the drug could work for some people but I don’t have all my bids on it.

6. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Yeah pretty much. The ear community gets cucked once again. But good news is if it passes for other uses we can get it prescribed. And give it a try.

• Like Like x 1
    7. Mentos

Mentos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced, loud rock concert
      Exactly, who gives a duck if it’s approved for cancer, tinnitus or acne. Once in a market, one can get it prescribed off label.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    8. OptimusPrimed
      Spaced

OptimusPrimed Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2007
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma - Repeated gun blasts
      This isn't the drug we're looking for. I mean it's in a clinical trial... FOR CANCER TREATMENT. I seriously doubt this drug does anything for tinnitus. It might prevent tinnitus or lower the odds of hearing damage for those exposed to loud sounds; but I do not believe this is the drug that will treat tinnitus in existing sufferers.

9. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 16 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      Why?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    10. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      It was originally developed for hearing loss and tinnitus. It can reconnect nerve endings in mice. Years of testing proved this. Humans we don’t know. If someone’s tinnitus is from nerve/ synapse damage, it could help.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    11. ThomasC
      Lonely

ThomasC Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss
      As long as they don't change the formula, it doesn't sound too bad.

• Like Like x 1
    12. aorelia

aorelia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphones
      This might've been answered, but how does one measure if tinnitus is from nerve damage?

13. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      There is seriously no way to tell for sure. I heard maybe like an ABR test or something like that. I’ve been talking with a lot of knowledgeable people and the theory is if you have pain hyperacusis, or noise-induced tinnitus and have perfect hearing, then it could most likely be nerve/synapse damage. There is no other explanation how for many years I’ve had tinnitus in my right ear from a gunshot, but have a perfect audiogram all the way up to 16 kHz.

I actually had mild hearing loss in that ear, then after 6 months it came back. I’m guessing the hair cells were bent and eventually came back up but the nerves/synapses remained damaged causing my permanent tinnitus. Now after suffering a perilymph fistula and acoustic trauma within one year, my audiogram is so good there is no test good enough to measure my hearing. I know I have nerve damage because some of my pain is deep cochlear, and on the Hyperacusis Research pages, they have discovered that noxacusis can be from type 2 nerve fibers getting damaged resulting in constant pain to noise.

I mean I definitely have hair cell damage now as well. But still my audiogram is perfect. There are also a few articles that explain some people can lose up to half of their hair cells, and it won’t show up on an audiogram. So it’s pretty hard to tell. Usually when people have hearing loss and tinnitus at a certain pitch and a certain amount of hearing loss in that frequency, it’s usually hair cells.

14. Gb3

Gb3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sshl
      Please read the article again. It was used in combination with the other drug. The doctor said that HPN-07 has shown efficacy to treat tinnitus and their person had an acoustic neuroma which can cause tinnitus!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      “NHPN-1010, developed by Oblato, a U.S. subsidiary of HLB Therapeutics, is a candidate for the combined use of OKN-007 under development as a therapy for brain tumors and antioxidant ANN-acetylcysteine.”​

I could have sworn OKN-007 is HPN-07?

16. Gb3

Gb3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sshl
      It’s not right? Am I reading it wrong? They are referring to two different drugs.

17. Lucifer

Lucifer Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Which article are you referring to which talks about the patient having tinnitus and hyperacusis while receiving this treatment? Does it mention their hyperacusis and tinnitus going away after they had the treatment?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    18. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
    19. ColinUK

ColinUK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2013 initial, worsened 2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Initial Music Gig, Worsened Cinema or possible covid
      Just don't get what's happened here? Hough Ear Institute took donations of people to develop hearing loss treatments, now that's shelved and it's a cancer drug?? Or are they still developing it as a hearing loss / tinnitus treatment?

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      I feel bad for everyone who donated to them. To be honest they were never clear in their messaging. This is looking more and more as a scam.

@Hazel and @Markku, how do you feel about Hough Ear Institute still being listed as a worthy cause to donate to?

• Agree Agree x 1
    21. Eliot Martin

Eliot Martin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medications
      Hough Ear Institute are bullshitting us.

22. NYCGuy
      Wishful

NYCGuy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck, Jaw or Stress, who knows.
      I'm one of the people who donate to Hough Ear Institute, I had hope but it seems my money is gone for nothing.

• Hug Hug x 1
    23. Gb3

Gb3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sshl
      • Like Like x 1
    24. NYCGuy
      Wishful

NYCGuy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck, Jaw or Stress, who knows.
    25. Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Hough Ear Institute did say there would be a two year study until 2022. If nothing starts by then or 2023, they are definitely bullshitting.

26. DimLeb

DimLeb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      14/03/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic Cochleopathy Or Maybe Loud Music
      It was already scammy enough that they were gathering donations for a non-existent reason, and now it looks like they gave the drug away. That's really bad. I want my 50 euros back lol.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    27. Gb3

Gb3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sshl
      Nope. Justin said he didn’t know.

• Agree Agree x 1
    28. ThomasF
      Confused

ThomasF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The amount of involvement the US Government has with this drug makes it being a scam a bad idea. Especially with Hough Ear Institute receiving money from both the DoD and the State Government of Oklahoma. There is the potential that the drug might not help those with long-term tinnitus. There is evidence with animal testing that implies the drug can aid with long-term tinnitus. Keep in mind that what works for animals like rodents may not work for humans. Though it is a much smaller leap than quail to humans like studies from the 80s observed.

Right now it is too soon to tell that this drug will be the cure nerve damage tinnitus sufferers have been waiting for. There is a lot of research out there and keeping a hopeful outlook has more fruitful potential than blanket skepticism.

• Agree Agree x 2
    29. Nobody19

Nobody19 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Clubbing
      I'd argue the opposite, actually. Putting your hope in something which has a high chance of failure puts you up for disappointment. Keep that hope for Otonomy or Susan Shore's device.

30. ThomasF
      Confused

ThomasF Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I like to see many possibilities coming from multiple attempts.

• Agree Agree x 3