Magnesium

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by ChrisJ, Sep 17, 2015.

1. walkthroughwalls

walkthroughwalls Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm afraid I'm also experiencing the effect-that-shall-not-be-described :(

Could it be that I'm getting all my magnesium from my diet and my body is not liking the excess magnesium?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    2. Ringadingring
      Balanced

Ringadingring Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think it's been 3 weeks since I started taking the magnesium, b12 and b complex. I have felt fairly well. Still have tinnitus but I feel like I am having more good days than bad although I had an odd, unexpected spike a few days ago.

I am happy with any improvement, have been sleeping well. Not expecting miracles and supplements do not give instant results so...

May try the Gingko down the line. I appreciate the info that has been shared here regarding the tincture. That will probably be what I try.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Spiral
      Balanced

Spiral Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      I'd like to report to have varying success with this particular Magnesium Citrate capsule:
      https://www.thorne.com/products/dp/magnesium-citrate

I've tried other Magnesium pills which didn't do anything and were even higher dosage than this (250mg) but it seems like the way that this supplement is absorbed has a great impact on how much is in your system at one time.

I'm probably one of the more skeptical people when taking supplements or alternative therapies like Ginkgo Biloba but this one has actually reduced my T by about 10%-15% if I take once a day per morning. I also think that it's been having an accumulating effect on the T gradually making it less and less. Now, I'm not saying that it will completely get rid of it, or that it will even work for you... But I just wanted to share that it's helped me and hell, maybe it will help one of you too. 10%-15% may not seem like a lot but if there's any reduction in the T, I'll take it!

You can take multiple doses per day of this but I've only tried one in the morning. I generally feel more relaxed and in a better state even when the pressure is on at work. I will try two doses in couple of days to see if I have any additional benefit and report back.

Please let me know of your thoughts on this particular supplement if you've tried it and/or if it's worked for you.

• Like Like x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    4. Halsy

Halsy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Sept. 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Abscess tooth
    5. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, hearing loss, sinus infections, ... ?
      I'd be careful with the supplements you take, be sure to get a blood test to be sure what's really missing.

I for one I'm almost sure my Tinnitus got worse after taking magnesium supplements for long times that had vit B6 in it. After struggling for two years with a new sound in one ear (now seems to move to my other ear too), I finally found out a few weeks ago that my vit B6 levels are way too high and vit D too low. I'm mostly eating a healthy diet, few or almost no alcohol, no to much sugar, lot of healthy fruits and vegetables, eggs, few diary, but tons of allergies which I'm sure are the problem (with sound induced hearing loss). When I take magnesium supplements, after a few days I feel not good at all, seems to have a bad impact on my sleeping patterns too, not sure why, it actually makes me stressed more then anything else, we all do react differently to supplements.

Low vitamin D is linked to a lot of health issues including hearing loss and tinnitus, so maybe that's the real issue for me with sound induced hearing loss, I probably don't get enough sun light from working too much inside.

best, Hans

• Agree Agree x 3
    6. CaRd
      Cheerful

CaRd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety/Stress/Lack of sleep/Headphones
      I agree with you about the supplements, although, pure Magnesium from quality source is always nice to have. I don't think you can overdose on that if you take 200-400 mg a day(food counts too). Even more if you hit the gym or do some other sport.

Vitamins B are not stored in the body i think. Only exception being B12, which you should realy do some tests for. But that being said, you should know how much you take from food and not overdose.

There are actually very few B-supplements that have the right amounts. So be careful what you are taking and do your homework.

For tinnitus, I think most important is B5 and B12 (if you are deficient).

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. Flowerlover

Flowerlover Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, not hearing related
      New naturopath put me on this one - magnesium citrate with L-taurine. Used to use product called Calm but got tired of drinking it. I found it and chamomile tea and sometimes melatonin help it calm down for sleep. http://hormonerollercoaster.com/store/magnesium-citrate-l-taurine-180-caps-2/

8. Taylorslay
      Happy

Taylorslay Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of excessively loud headphone use
      What type magnesium do I take for sudden noise trauma and tinnitus?

9. Casper

Casper Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music at concert
      Take magnesium glycinate if you can. Try to avoid magnesium oxide, because let's just say it's also used as a laxative.

• Like Like x 1
    10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I have also been taking magnesium bis glycinate. I am happy with it.

• Like Like x 2
    11. CaRd
      Cheerful

CaRd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I am using Thorne Citrate or Citramate(Citrate+Malate) and that is by far the best Magnesium i have taken.

12. Erin1997
      Happy

Erin1997 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress
      Hey all,
      Just bought magnesium oxide 500 mg from Walgreen's, from the brand Nature's Bounty. What do you guys think of using magnesium for treating tinnitus?

13. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It hasn't made my T worse. It might promote healing. It is hard to tell...

• Agree Agree x 1
    14. Mike82
      Wishful

Mike82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Yeah, I take it every night. Haven't noticed much (any?) change in my tinnitus. Helps me get to sleep, though.

15. CaRd
      Cheerful

CaRd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Doesn't make any difference in my T. But it is relaxing and great for your overall health. Oxide is not very good though. It is not absorbed well in your body, so you are probably using around 20% from those 500mg.

16. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Hi CaRd, you may be right, it's just that each time I take Magnesium I have not such good sleep anymore and I may have some strange adverse effect, which I tend to have a lot of supplements. With B6 it's not very easy to lower, at least for me it seems to stay a long time in body, I exercise 3 times a week (jogging & musculation).

Never tested for B5, didn't knew it could be helpful for Tinnitus, thanks for the hint.

17. Chad Harmon

Chad Harmon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Has any one heard of a diet high in magnesium, such as kale, avocado, fish, soy, etc. increasing tinnitus symptoms? Has anyone tried removing these items from their diet and has there been any improvement? Thank you.

18. sharonr

sharonr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
      Hi could someone please help me with the best forms of magnesium glycinate to take. Does it come in liquid and tablet form and which would be the best?
      What dosage works best.
      Thank you
      Sharon.

19. Luman
      Benevolent

Luman Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Intermittent Tinnitus probably noise induced
      Vitamin B5 is also called pantothenic acid, and is often found in multi-vitamins, and B-complex preparations.

• Like Like x 1
    20. sharonr

sharonr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise
    21. CaRd
      Cheerful

CaRd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I can recommend a book "Tired Of Being Tired". I think someone else has also recommended it on this forum. It has a pretty good ideas for your battle with Tinnitus :) There you will learn about vitamin B5 too.

• Like Like x 1
    22. Nola

Nola Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Have you tried taking this magnesium with D3 and K2. I was told they all rely on each other and work together. After taking it for about 4-6 weeks, allowing it to get in my system, has really made a huge positive difference in my ringing sound intensity and frequency. When I stopped taking it for three days, I had non-stop, loud ringing for over 16 unbearable hours. I continued taking the trio again, and thank God, after a couple of days, the ringing was under control again. The ringing has not gone away, but so much easier to deal with, along with helping me to get a decent night's rest.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      Yea, i found that out the hard way :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 1
    24. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks, will check it out :)

• Agree Agree x 1
    25. AnnieM
      Stressed

AnnieM Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      PROBABLY long term exposure to the sound of motors/blowers
    26. EatMoTacos
      No Mood

EatMoTacos Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music and being dumb
      I think this form of magnesium is probably best, which is the glycinate form. Others on this forum can def chime in and help out. I take this from and feel it’s best abosorbed in the body.

• Like Like x 2
    27. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I just tried Magnesium bisglycinate (Solgar) for a few days, first day seemed to be a nice and calming effect, but then yesterday I probably took too much (200mg x4) and had some very nasty hypotensive effects that made my sleep apnea worse and so I pretty felt very bad this morning, difficulty to breath etc, maybe I just took too much, will test in the next days with smaller doses.

I agree, I just have been testing magnesium bisglycinate for a week and very happy with the results, so this confirms also it was the vitamine B6 that caused me trouble, and really serious trouble, so again get a blood test done before you take B6, my symptoms where close to those of a fybromialgia, now I try to avoid food which is containing lots of B6 (too much meat, egg yolks, ...) and I feel much better. We get more then enough B6 through food, same for most amino acids, it's the balance that is not ok with some of us.

Seems that for me magnesium works best when paired with calcium, otherwise it relaxes me a little too much, anyway, thanks for the tip on Magnesium bisglycinate, works really best from all mag types I've tried yet.

28. dean thom
      Transparent

dean thom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud music
      hi all,

I realise magnesium comes in a number of different forms.

Has anyone had any success with the hydroxide form for reducing their tinnitus symptoms?

regards, dean

29. Why?

Why? Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Tried magnesium. Unspeakable results digestive. Lipo Flavanoid - suggested by worthless ENT - was even worse. Side effects lasted 18 months:arghh:

30. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Why?, what kind of magnesium did you try ? I had very good success until yesterday with magnesium bisglycinate, but indeed I have more digestive issues since I use it, I tried topical magnesium which also helps, but I had the feeling bisglycinate worked best so far for my overal wellbeing.

What did last 18 months, the side effect of Lipo Flavanoid or magnesium ?

thanks and good luck! My T's are horrible since yesterday after I decided to go to a party to improve my social life again, there was some music, maybe too loud for me, but most of all, I drank alcohol again, and this morning I had tons of allergy issues from it and even tons of liquid in my ears, so I wonder if my issues aren't related or boosted by food allergy issues as well. I hope they can find a solution for this horrible condition.

• Agree Agree x 1