Magnesium

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by ChrisJ, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Why?

Why? Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi hans01. I tossed the bottle so can't answer the type. Also I was taking Lipo Flavonoid not sure if both together was why side effects lasted so long. I had stopped taking these with my 1st stomach"attack". Honestly when I say unspeakable - it's just that. But I will say I lost 20 lbs. And dumped the entire.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Stress, hearing loss, sinus infections, ... ?
      Hi Why? sorry to hear that ... I never did take that as supplement, but I can assure you that Magnesium, while I thought initially that it was not working for me, is really doing wonders for my T and anxiety, and I now found that the digestive issues came from the magnesium oxide that was mixed as buffer in the Solgar bisglycinate, so I ordered another brand to see as well as magnesium threonate which is supposed to be pass de blood/brain barrier better. All the best to you :)

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Why?

Why? Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So how were the others that you ordered? My stomach woes cost me $4000 in tests. It took longer to pay that off than the side effects lasting 18 months. Test results - gastro & family doc suggested never taking either supplement again.

• Like Like x 1
    4. dgray

dgray Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, High Frequency Hearing Loss
      Hi, can you help me with what type of magnesium you are taking and if it is helping your tinnitus.

• Useful Useful x 1
    5. Why?

Why? Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hi dgray. I only took magnesium about a month. But continued Lipo Flavonoid for little longer. Neither helped. I think magnesium was magnesium oxide? But hsns01 here stated he was on same & had digestive issues like me. I'm waiting for his reply on what different magnesium he ordered recently. I've seen posts that magnesium is calming. Everyone has different reactions to different meds so don't solely rely on my issues with it. But I tried & I believe that's only way to find out. Today my t was tolerable until a national weather alert blared on TV. I wasn't in room when it did but my t is screaming ever since.

• Like Like x 1
    6. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:

I just ordered these two :

Doctor's Best, High Absorption Magnesium

Source Naturals, Magtein, Magnesium L-Threonate, 667 mg

From what I read the Magnesium L-Threonate is best absorbed with very few or no digestive issues, but I'll need to check it out myself. Indeed best to get rid of the stomach issues first, and follow your doctors advice ...

• Like Like x 1
    7. Why?

Why? Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Please keep me posted. I want to hear how your t reacts as well as digestive.

• Like Like x 2
    8. dgray

dgray Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, High Frequency Hearing Loss
      Thank-you. I appreciate the information.

9. parsky

parsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/1/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I tried the magnesium threonate as well for several weeks and didn't seem to help.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Interesting, thanks, I'll post my observations, for some reason, magnesium seems to help to cope with the stress and anxiety I have because of T, but strange enough it's not just the T which causes the anxiety, it depends on days. For example yesterday I took quite a large dose of Vit D3 + 500mg calcium (I don't drink enough dairy products) and I had much more stress and anxiety, this seems always to be the issue and magnesium definitely calms it down again. But I have to take quite a lot of magnesium to feel much better (600mg-800mg). Maybe I'm just very deficient in this mineral after all.

11. Noise_sucks
      Dumb

Noise_sucks Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise trauma
      magnesium.jpg
      I have been using this one for about 4 Weeks now with some success. T tends to be a bit down. I used Trimagnesiumdicitrate before, which seemed to make my T a bit more aggressive. Still looking for an explanation, but I read somewhere that the citrate form has the potential to "excite" or stimulate the nerves.

However, the Doctor's Best does contain Magnesiumstearate, that's a filling agent one should try to avoid (just do a quick Google on it).

I'm wondering if anyone is using a Magnesiumgylcinate without Magnesiumstearate?

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    12. hans01
      Artistic

hans01 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Interesting, thanks, I just started to test the Source Naturals, Magtein & Doctor's Best, High Absorption Magnesium, not sure if there is a link but here are my findings so far :

- Source Naturals, Magtein : made me very drowsy, not that it was bad, but I didn't really felt good with it, maybe best before you go to bed, but the effect afterwards wasn't really bad just strange, maybe I have to take less.

- Doctor's Best, High Absorption Magnesium : I tried this today, took two during the days suggested, and must say I've never felt this bad since weeks (may also be something else I ate yesterday, still checking out), my T is screaming again, and I didn't felt warm or calm like with the bisglycinate from Solgar, so something must be wrong with this supplement, it's the third time I test this brand for supplements were I feel very bad afterwards, so maybe yes the Magnesiumsearate is not good for us or something they use gives me bad reaction.

So back to the SOLGAR Bisglycinate, which gave me best results so far, will test again. I also may test the Magtein as it may be good fro sleeping.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    13. GGG-DG

GGG-DG Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown/noise/stress?
      • Like Like x 2
    14. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      34 year old male and I have been taking 400mg of magnesium at night for toinnitus (not sure if it's helping). Well it seems like I have to pee more frequently, but there is less pee. I pee and it still feels like there is some pee left. Random small amounts of pain in that area also...

Anyone else have this problem from possibly magnesium?? Anything I can drink to help?? Or something??

15. Onsdag

Onsdag Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown, maybe stress
      Have you had your blood sugar levels checked?

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. grisha

grisha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      First off, hello! This is my first post on this site. I recently developed noise induced Tinnitus early this year (2017) and just when I was learning to deal with it (somewhat) it seemed to get louder. I'm really hoping it's because of the recent cold weather and cloudy conditions and not because more damage has been done.

I've been doing some reading lately and apparently some people have had success in making their tinnitus more bearable by taking magnesium. Only, I'm not sure exactly what kind of supplements they're taking and which ones might work best. I was hoping someone on here might be able to point me towards a suitable product and can confirm whether or not magnesium really helps. (If you have other supplement recommendations, I'd love to hear about those too.)

17. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I have read papers suggesting that mg can help 'prevent' the onset of auditory damage, but I havent seen any studies that state that mg can actually alleviate t and/h.

However, there are many ancedotal reports of mg reducing t.

I have tried it (Mg threonate). Didnt make any difference to my t, but I continue to take it for other health reasons.

18. Robert18

Robert18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october 10, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      machine noise in factory, headphone, stressed
      Has anyone here who has taken magnesium has their tinnitus decrease?
      What kind of magnesium did you take? and how much the dosage?

thanks,
      Robert

19. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      Mg doesnt decrease my perceived volume of my t. I am currently having IV vit C, Mg phosphate, glutathione, and zinc three times a week for lyme disease/co with no noticeable effect on my t either way.

I have tried mg threonate also, which is meant to be more readily absorbed via the blood brain barrier, with no effect whatsoever on my t.

20. Robert18

Robert18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october 10, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      just a question guys,
      should magnesium be taken in the morning or at night?

please any suggestions or experiences welcome

thanks,
      Robert

21. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      Over the course of my 4 years with tinnitus I've taken mega doses of all the well known supplements with no benefit, stopping and starting and trying them for months at a time. I still occasionally go back on them, hope springs eternal but the result's always the same, no change in tinnitus. Magnesium, Vitamin B all varieties, Zinc, which I'm back on mainly because I have a big bottle, Vitamin A, Melatonin and Liopflavanoids. If only it was that easy, take a pill and it goes away.
      The only pill that helps is the worst one, Clonazepam .5mg works like a charm but a terrible drug for long term. I will take them for one or two days when I'm totally fed up and need a break. The best and only way for me, is to come to terms with it and live my life and not let this define who I am or how I live.

To answer the question, time of day never mattered to me, melatonin I take at night, makes me drowsy, the rest I would take in the morning in the hopes any benefit would be felt during the day because there's no use for me to have no tinnitus while I am asleep.

22. Robert18

Robert18 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      october 10, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hi to all
      I'm taking magnesium citrate and zinc citrate for about 3 days but gives my t spikes,
      has anyone experienced like this?
      how long does the spikes last or how many days?

please need help, i'm worried now because of the spikes.

Robert

23. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      You may want to try magnesium glycinate rather than citrate. Some people have mentioned having problems with the citrate.

24. fruityreverb
      Heartbroken

fruityreverb Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      laying down in bed, noticed and focused on it
      i’m trying threonate soon.

25. MarkD
      Fine

MarkD Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High cholestoral, stress, inflammation, diabetes
      Taking a zinc, magnesium and B6 vitamin (e.g ZM6) has really helped me and managing my gum disease which became out of control due to uncontrolled blood sugar levels.

Everyone has their own specific conditions and at certain stages in your life, for whatever reasons, your body can become imbalanced. They key is to find out as soon as possible what is causing your illness or underlying cause of your tinnitus. If you have certain symptoms like i had (e.g bleeding gums, uncontrolled blood sugar) take serious note of it and try and fix.

P.S. Taking a magensium supplement may not work for you because magensium deficiency is not your underlying cause, it doesnt mean magnesium wont work for others. It simply means you have removed one possible vitamin deficiency out of the equation.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, benzo/clonozepam + clonidine, maybe infection
      So, what is the best form of magnesium for tinnitus(relaxing, sleeping) glycinate or bisglycinate?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    27. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      You could try this one. I have liquid magnesium too. Nothing is guaranteed to help tinnitus. An ENT said to use magnesium for 3 months. He didn't specify the type.

https://88herbs.com/best-magnesium-supplement-to-avoid-diarrhea/

28. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, benzo/clonozepam + clonidine, maybe infection
      I'm guessing your ENT said you to use magnesium because it relaxing muscles and "apparently" maybe it could relax the neck muscles that factors the tinnitus...

Some members here suggested Magnesium glycinate for sleeping/relaxing, because it four times more effective than citrate forms of magnesium and does not cause diarrhea, ok but for what it good? Muscles relaxing?

Recently I visited a chiropractor that tried to convince me that my tinnitus is related to the neck problem, I do not feel any problems in my neck, but if I believe it, maybe Magnesium will be a good placebo;)

29. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      Yeah chiros will tell you anything for a buck it seems. That ENT did not have much to offer so he mentioned Magnesium. I think he said Mayo Clinic were doing some trials on it. It could be placebo effect.

30. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      My neurologist also offered me Magnesium for nerve damage. It could help to speed up recovery.