Magnesium

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by ChrisJ, Sep 17, 2015.

1. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, benzo/clonozepam + clonidine, maybe infection
      From Russian wiki(Google translate):

• Informative Informative x 1
    2. just1morething
      Benevolent

just1morething Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      TMJ disorder, airplane barotrauma, noise exposure.
      HOME EAR PROBLEMS TINNITUS TINNITUS AND MAGNESIUM DEFICIENCY
      Tinnitus and Magnesium Deficiency
      by Neil Bauman, Ph.D.

A lady wrote,

I was recently chatting with a man about his tinnitus. He has suffered with severe ringing in his ears for over 15 years. About three months ago, he was in the hospital for surgery. They noticed his potassium and magnesium levels were very low and started him on both liquid forms of each. He mentioned after about four days, all the ringing in his ears has stopped and has not returned. Interesting after 15 years of having it. Any thoughts?

Too much Potassium can cause tinnitus as I pointed out in my article “Potassium Gluconate and Hearing Loss”, (1) but maybe too little can also do the same.

On the other hand, many/most Americans are low on magnesium according to what I have read in various places. We need magnesium. It helps protect our ears from noise damage and other ear problems.

As Barry Keate (2) explains, “Magnesium also protects the nerves in the inner ear and is a powerful glutamate inhibitor. Glutamate is a neurotransmitter, produced by the action of sound waves on the hair cells of the inner ear. The unregulated production of glutamate at sound frequencies for which there is no external stimulation is the cause of tinnitus.”

“The protective effect of magnesium in preventing noise-induced hearing loss has been studied since it was found that magnesium in inner ear fluid decreases significantly after intense noise exposure. The results of one placebo controlled study showed that subjects who took oral magnesium supplements displayed a significantly lower incidence of noise-induced hearing loss compared to the control group. In 1998 a highly motivated patient elected to undergo a catheter-delivered infusion of magnesium sulfate to the round window (of the inner ear). Within 60 seconds of the infusion she experienced complete resolution of her tinnitus. This effect lasted until the flow of medication was discontinued 48 hours later.” (2)

Thus I can readily see that if he was low on magnesium, it could have certainly been linked to his tinnitus.

It’s a good idea to make sure you have adequate magnesium intake. But don’t overdose on it. And remember to keep this mineral in proper balance. For example, if you take extra magnesium, you also should be taking calcium at the same rate (the correct ratio is 1:1 calcium to magnesium). Note that almost all supplement formulations have a 2:1 ratio of calcium to magnesium (this is not good for your health). At the same time, you also need to take Vitamin D3 so your body will properly utilize the calcium and magnesium. Furthermore, if you take higher doses of Vitamin D3, you should take Vitamin K2 so you don’t end up with harmful side effects from taking high doses of Vitamin D3.

Dr. Mercola recently wrote, “Magnesium is also important, both for the proper function of calcium, and for the activity of vitamin D, as it converts vitamin D into its active form. Magnesium also activates enzyme activity that helps your body use the vitamin D. In fact, all enzymes that metabolize vitamin D require magnesium to work. As with vitamin D and K2, magnesium deficiency is very common, and if you’re lacking in magnesium and take supplemental calcium, you may exacerbate the situation. Dietary sources of magnesium include sea vegetables, such as kelp, dulse, and nori. Vegetables can also be a good source. As for supplements, magnesium citrate and magnesium threonate are among the best.” (3) So is magnesium glycinate.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. Rajah99

Rajah99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2 months
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ranitadine, magnesium deficiency
      Had throbbing in Left ear for two month's. Took Magnesium oxide tablets , and stopped taking ranitidine daily. Buzzing has not returned . also taking cider vinegar to help absorb magnesium.

• Like Like x 1
    4. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    5. undecided
      Breezy

undecided Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown.
      Makes your poop real soft. Does not do much for tinnitus unless you have a deficiency - which is kinda hard, lots of foods contain magnesium.

6. Sven
      Fine

Sven Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      That's not what I've heard. Many people eat too little magnesium. At least here in Northern Europe.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yeah, I was trying liquid magnesium to avoid the poop problem. Maybe it is a dead end? I'm trying splint 24/7 for TMD. Noise really bugs me. Fast food, frozen etc. does not have have enough magnesium.

Posted on another magnesium thread: http://hearinglosshelp.com/blog/tinnitus-and-magnesium-deficiency/

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    8. PaulaO

PaulaO Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I take magnesium glycinate for my PVCs and it works for that. I take 100mg in AM and 200 in PM right before bed.

It doesn't seem to do much for my tinnitis and if it is, I do NOT want to know what my roaring and/or tone would be like with out it!!

9. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      I pretty much never get b.o anymore and use deodorant maybe once every couple of weeks. I live in a tropical country too. I wonder if it’s to do with taking magnesium. Unless there’s another reason...?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    10. dm222
      Fine

dm222 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2018/02/23
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      after cold and ear syringing 20-30% of volume 06/2018
    11. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

kelpiemsp Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      birth/ recent spike 2/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Born with ETD, several acoustic traumas, most recently ETD
      How is your splint going? I just got mine fitted this week. I noticed an increase of my T at first, which actually I take as a comforting sign that things are originating in that area at least. Icing the TMJ really seems to help in my case. My ears have starting hurting a bit since the splint as well. More of the hurt like after a good massage though.

• Like Like x 1
    12. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      I have taken Magnesium Citrate for 4-5 months and then switched to Magnesium Bis-glycinate which I have taken for about 3 months or so.....No change in T in my case.

• Informative Informative x 2
    13. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @kelpiemsp
      I'm getting a new one. I had new impressions done on last visit. I sort of lied as to wearing it 24/7. That was my intent but didn't follow through, still using old one so far. I'm having a bad day today with static type noise. Woke up with that for some reason? I'm not absolutely sure that TMD is causing my noise, but I use it for sleep apnea too.

Did you see Dr. Hakala? I don't think he is full time anymore as he sold the business to Dr. Leiderman. Does yours have bands on it? Do you just wear it during sleeping hours?

14. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @kelpiemsp, I hope you can find some relief. I am going to try wearing my mouthpiece more. My left jaw is a problem. Doesn't hurt but seems inflamed. I need to pick up my new splint. About 1.5 hours away.

15. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for the encouragement! I did see Dr. Hakala! It was quite the experience. Maybe I get to be his "swan song" :) He seemed pretty confident that I did have TMJ issues (disc displacement on X-ray), jaw opening of only 35mm (which is small for someone who is 6 foot. I guess its somewhat proportionate to your size) Mine only covers the bottom teeth and has a cut out for the front to slide in. I do wear it 24/7, and eat with it as well. I have to clean it a lot but that is the only time I take it out. But it has been very painful at first, I am getting used to it slowly. Any amount of pain to stop this ringing!!

• Like Like x 2
    16. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree with that. You must not have sleep apnea. My appliance treats both TMD and sleep apnea they told me. I can have different strength bands on it. My noise is very loud today, only a solid sound, not static. I have been taking some Lyrica lately and that seems to change the tone. My volume is crazy loud. I'm seeing a new psychiatrist next month. I would like to get a script for Klonopin to see if it can knock this noise down.

My splint looks like this one:

0115b6703238f9b7b3d448efb4737cfb.jpg

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
      • Like Like x 1
    17. 1MW
      No Mood

1MW Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 but cured and relapsed from benzos
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ssnhl/benzos/unknown
      magnesium surely helps

18. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ahh yeah no sleep apnea for me luckily. I have been taking valium for 8 years. I know I know. I am down from 20mg to 5mg. However, I suffer from nocturnal epilepsy so its a real risk/reward there. Does your psychiatrist provide lyrica or a GP?

19. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Lyrica was prescribed by primary care Dr.; I don't think they will prescribe Klonopin, Valium, etc. That is why I have to drive about 25 miles to another clinic to see a new psychiatrist. There is a shortage of psychiatrists here.

20. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Damn right it does! Well, actually I'm not sure.

21. just1morething
      Benevolent

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
    22. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      For what reason?

23. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      What type of magnesium?

24. cingin

cingin Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      hi evry1 has any1 heard of TINNITIS 911? I read about it online and been using it for 7 weeks now with no success im still waiting for success i appreciate comments if any1 has used it thku

25. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      That's a long time. Are you not worried that it might have caused some ototoxic/neurotoxic damage already? I know that you are going to participate in that University of Minnesota study, Neural Beamforming (I do hope it'll help you).

Though, it could potentialy be another thing to add to your possible causes of tinnitus. A drug induced t.? Benzodiazepines are ototoxic drugs. Sensory symptoms: tinnitus (https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm).

I have been on Clonazepam since December 2017 and will now try to taper off from the drug completely. I'm currently on 2 mg of it before bedtime (0.5mg clonazepam is approximately equivalent to 10mg valium). I'm on Lyrica as well.

Just hoping that because we are on these sedative agents won't affect us negatively in the future with regards to Susan Shore's and Uni of Minnesota studies. You know, poisoning :/

26. kelpiemsp
      Swamped

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aye, I have had T since my earliest memories unfortunately, so it would be hard to say that the benzo use has caused it. Plus, this is a very common misconception. Benzos are not otoxic. They do not reduce blood flow to the ear or cause nerve damage. If you read something different, that is because the author is misusing terminology and they do not fully understand what otoxic is. They do NOT cause damage to the ear or the nerve. Contrary to popular belief, there is only ONE actual reported occurrence of benzo induced tinnitus in all of the clinical studies, that did not subside within a year. The ashton manual there is switching from benzo induced tinnitus to tinnitus in general. Benzo withdrawl can certainly cause tinnitus to spike due to hyperactivity in the brain, but that is temporary.

So don't let that stress you out :) besides, what these studies show is that it doesn't matter what causes the T, intervening in the brain can help.

You will absolutely hear your T scream during withdrawal. But that is because your are hyper, stressed, and anxious. Not because you have done any damage.

But I am still trying to reduce my "benzo burden". I am down to 5mg of valium daily.

27. Jiri
      No Mood

Jiri Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + injury
      I wish so hard you were right (and you very well could be, I'm not a clinical pharmacist after all). However, this brochure says otherwise: http://hlaa-sbc.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Ototoxic_Brochure.pdf

Also, a lot of people aren't taking just benzos but antidepressants &/or other anti-epileptic drugs on top of that (Lyrica). Who can then tell what this combo of drugs can really do to our auditory system? One of the research ENT's I spoke to said that though these aren't strictly ototoxic (a direct damage to hairs inside cochlea) they could induce neurotoxicity (damaging nerves &/or nerve cells) and potentialy instigate tinnitus. I mean psychopharmaceutics are messing with our brain chemistry and changing both our psychological and physical side of things. I quit seeing my psychiatrist because during our last meeting she told me that she specializes only in depression and has next to no experience with tinnitus patients. I started on 6 mg of Clonazepam a day. Then in Jan she decreased my dosage abruptly from one day to another to 3,5 mg of Clonazepam per day. In the second half of March she decreased it again by 1,5 mg just like that, so the very next day I was taking 2 mg before bedtime along with all the other drugs. I was trying to be a good patient and listen to the advice of my doctor but after I checked out benzobuddies and saw 'The Ashton Manual'.. you can imagine.

Then you get the protracted tinnitus withdrawal symptoms: https://www.benzo.org.uk/busto.htm
      You see this: http://hearinglosshelp.com/blog/dont-get-hooked-on-drugs-such-as-pregabalin/

Ok, I'm done ranting. Bottom line is I hope, I really do, that even though a large number of people are taking all these drugs to help them cope with t., they will still be able to benefit from the treatments of the aforementioned uni's.

28. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Can magnesium itself strengthen tinnitus if it is drunk at random, without preliminary measurement of the magnesium level in the body with the help of clinical tests?

Who really was helped by magnesium, are there anyone it has only made them worse?

29. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      @Danny Boy

I bought myself a supplement "magnesium plus" produced in Poland.

Form - effervescent tablets for dissolution.

In the composition of magnesium in two forms - magnesium lactate and magnesium carbonate. Also vitamins B6 and B12.

Tell me, is this a good form of magnesium? Does it penetrate the blood-brain barrier?

Thank you

30. claudstuff1

claudstuff1 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      After an Ablation surgery
      Good Info and most supplements will explain the recommended daily dosage, so follow the supplements instructions on the bottle.

• Creative Creative x 1