My Trip to Bangkok: Stem Cell Treatment [Comments]

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Markku, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. Kristian M
      Sad

Kristian M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Does stem cell treatment actually work? Can someone please tell me more..

Thank you

3. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      It's so weird, every guinea pig disappearing here...

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. Leon909
      Ape-like

Leon909 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      I've been in touch with @whiskeykonteq sporadically and let me know that he didn't have any major improvements in his T. But he's become more accustomed to it.

• Informative Informative x 5
    5. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      At various points throughout this thread (now 27-pages long), there has been occasional debate as to whether stem cells - when injected intravenously - can migrate to the cochlea. Hereby a link to a study that was conducted back in 2012 where guinea pigs were made deaf using an ototoxic agent:

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23026045

The study set up several cohorts - with one of them being guinea pigs having stem cells (10M) injected on day 3 after concluding a significant auditory insult as a consequence of neomycin ototoxicity. The authors of the study made use of staining: this allowed the scientists to observe that the stem cells indeed had migrated to various points in the cochlea in a subsequent autopsy (see image below).

upload_2016-11-12_18-38-18.png

In addition, the study concluded via objective ABR measurements that the guinea pigs had regained significant hearing vs. the non-treated group (which had not received stem cells). The investigation went further and also examined how recovery of neurons at various points in the cochlea could be counted and compared with both the non-treated group and also with guinea pigs not having been subjected to the ototoxic agent at all (control/normal group).

Conclusion: given that stem cells migrated to the cochlea and also improved hearing thresholds, it was proven already in 2012 that stem cells derived from human umbilical cord blood (hUCB) have the potential to impact auditory function in an animal model for IV-delivered stem cells.

As the paper is paywalled, I do not wish to attach it in full-text copy. Hence just the one image taken from page 2.

• Like Like x 7
      • Informative Informative x 6
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    6. Marlino
      Cowboy

Marlino Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Can you send it to me via pm?

7. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      ReGen Medical in New York City advertises stem cell treatment for tinnitus using autologous adipose-derived stem cells. Who is in New York and wants to try?

http://regenmedicalpc.com/cellular-therapy/treatment-options/

http://www.repairstemcells.org/Old-...ements/New-US-Stem-Cell-Treatment-Center.aspx

Based on the information in the Excel spreadsheet, they seem to be the only stem cell clinic in the United States openly offering to treat tinnitus.

www.cell.com/cms/attachment/2062931415/2065421495/mmc2.xlsx

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. Mricha37

Mricha37 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Car subwoofers for 6 years
      In the research section of TT. There's a Dr. Lin from UNC Irvine that basically says stem cell treatment is a go.

• Like Like x 1
    9. lymebite
      Vegged out

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Like Like x 1
    10. RaZaH
      Cheeky

RaZaH Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      2012/04
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Benzo + loud noise
      So they seem to be reaching the cochlea , and "measuring" some improvements .
      Still , the humans that have done this do not seem to get improvement in T , possibly hearing improvement althoug it seem that the jury is still out . It's progress , I guess

11. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      @Marlino, here you go. Information wants to be free... go to sci-hub.cc and just paste the URL, DOI, or PMID and you'll get any scientific paper you want.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    12. volsung37

volsung37 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      @The Red Viper
      You're a star. That is one seriously useful site. I agree medical knowledge should not be hidden behind expensive paywalls.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      This file/document is from 2012.
      What is the hold-up :sleep:

14. Leon909
      Ape-like

Leon909 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Just an additional thought on this: he posted pictures of the doctor thawing the stem cells right before injecting them. Using cryo-stored cells, according to wikipedia, diminishes the effectiveness of the treatment. Hence, this may have contributed to him not having any significant results.

15. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      It's the treatment that ATEOS had no ?

16. The Red Viper
      Curious

The Red Viper Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 15, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Current Theory: Neck injury (Tendonitis @ trap/SCM junction)
      No idea.

17. lymebite
      Vegged out

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Here is a United States stem cell clinic - the Arizona Stem Cell Center - that says they specialize in treating "ear, nose, and throat ailments" (among a number of other conditions). Cost is $6,500. For that price you get between 5 and 7.5 million autologous adult adipose stem cells. Anyone been in contact with them?

http://www.azstemcellcenter.com/Services.html

18. whiskeykonteq
      Balanced

whiskeykonteq Member

Tinnitus Since:
      6th Feb 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      Hi people,

Sorry for not being here for long time, but I had to move away from tinnitus and continue "normal life" (as much as one can have normal life with tinnitus). Anyway - I managed in meanwhile to get off medications completely, return to work and life/travel and still maintain 6-7 hours of sleep per day/night. That was most important for me (not to be on meds and still be able to sleep).
      As far as tinnitus - I think that there was no major, but only slight change in loudness and how often I have it. I hope if it continue like this, I will not have tinnitus in a year or so :) Still no idea if stem cells helped or this is process of natural recovery. Regardless of this experience, If one of my business succeeds in couple of months :), I might go for one more stem cells treatment (this time probably in Thailand :)

Hope all of you are hanging well ! Stay strong !

Cheers,
      Alex

• Like Like x 9
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    19. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      @whiskeykonteq
      thanks for the update.
      Any reason why Thailand would be better than RUSSIA..? besides the nurses

• Funny Funny x 2
    20. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      You mean the massage is included in Thailand ?

• Funny Funny x 1
    21. Reinier
      Not amused

Reinier Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Explosion starting engine
      @whiskeykonteq
      Good to see that you honestly consider that any improvement is not necessarily because of stem cell therapy.
      Sorry to hear that not yet it is the improvement we all would like to read about and you would like to tell about.
      Lets keep fingers crossed and perhaps later on you are able (hopefully) to inform us about additional improvements.
      Stem cell or natural improvement. I think we will never know.

22. Hopeful1
      Depressed

Hopeful1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music
      @whiskeykonteq
      Thanks for the update ..... really appriciate you coming here and giving us updates.

Hope SC works for you.

23. wags
      Wishful

wags Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trama
      @attheedgeofscience I really enjoy reading your posts as well as your journal. It was quite the interesting ride and I really admire you going out and doing what you did while sharing it with all of us. It's really important to have these experiences documented to inspire others in their journey.

What do you make of this study which shows that a significant portion of Stem Cells injected intravenously in rats stayed in the lungs:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19301973

Obviously the results looked for an entirely different ailment in a different animal - I'm wondering if the count *needed* to improve SNHL by access in the cochlear could be low enough?

Interesting stuff...

24. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Well it's official,me and my family are going ahead with the Stemcell treatment for my T and H.

We have the money luckily and now we're just trying to figure out where to have the procedure done.As we know there are plenty of sham clinics out there and I'm looking for suggestions to the best legit clinic with the best treatment.

This is 100%,I'm going through with it and there's no stopping me at this point.

All info will be greatly appreciated but need as much as I can get as soon as possible as we're booking it tomorrow.

Thanks everyone,and well here goes nothing.....

• Like Like x 4
    25. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      You have no idea where to do it now and you will book it in a few hours ? Sorry, it sounds wrong to me.

26. gotyoubynuts

gotyoubynuts Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Your family and friends gave you 10s of thousands of dollars and you have "decided" to spend it tomorrow no matter what???

How nice of you, making sure their hard earned money don't go to waste!

Shouldn't you allot a month or more to research your options to make sure you aren't making the wrong choice with the clinic!!

27. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      13/10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      It's great to see your loved ones have your back. Hope it works out for you and that you will find a clinic with top-notch treatment, keep us posted!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    28. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I never said that my family gave me the money?They did chip in but I sold my car and other things and put most of it up myself so don't just assume that they are entirely paying for it,although I did make it sound that way so I'm partially to blame so my apologies.

No,your right about the researching the clinic part but I've been researching it for nearly 4 months now and still can't make up my mind which is why I asked for everyone's opinion here,in hindsight your about not booking it tomorrow so I'll rephrase my comment as I'm going soon and any info and suggestions will be much appreciated.

29. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      • Like Like x 1
    30. bill 112
      Fine

bill 112 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      Again sorry if I made it sound like I'm flying off tomorrow,I'm just anxious to get going and I'm getting ahead of myself just a little but this is happening with absolute certainty.

ATEOS has already given me some very helpful info a few months back but I would like his opinion on where I should have it done,I think his was done in Stemcells 21 if my memory serves me correctly?