My Trip to Bangkok: Stem Cell Treatment [Comments]

Discussion in 'Treatments' started by Markku, Aug 18, 2013.

1. RonnieCarzatto
      Cynical

RonnieCarzatto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Feb 01 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Mild head injury maybe... but who knows...
      Read attheedgeofscience ' s journal

2. MJv
      No Mood

MJv Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Don't know
      Did he had hearing loss and Hyperacusis?

3. Samantha R

Samantha R Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @MJv
      I'm so sorry to hear you are struggling so much....
      The member who had the stem cell treatment didn't have hyperacusis, but he did have higher frequency (that is >8,000 hz) hearing loss.
      He did some low level laser therapy prior to his stem cell treatments.
      At the start of this thread, you can read through his journal. It is very well written and comprehensive.
      Whereabouts are you located?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    4. acufenero
      Starving

acufenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      You might want to check this out.

5. Twitch

Twitch Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @bill 112 did you eventually fly out to Thailand for treatment or were you stringing us all along :)

6. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      He trolled us ;)

7. VRZ78

VRZ78 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral Infection
      It's scary that we don't have any news about him though, I hope he's ok...

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Agreed, also @monacco is MIA... it's a bit worrisome.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. ifilip

ifilip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud sound
      Has any one you of talked with a REAL stem cell research scientist about stem cell treatment? By real I mean someone who is real acknowledged scientist and does not work for any company that proves stem cell treatment (so has no interest in lying).

I talked on Quora with one of them, and he hammered me down very heavily, saying that all stem cell therapy is a scam and it doesn't cure any diseases nor fix any damages in human body.

He has commented quite have many stem cell discussion and seems to be an expert in it:
      https://www.quora.com/profile/Denis-English-1
      Check him out, his CV on Google Scholar and what he writes about stem cell treatments.

I honestly don't know who to believe, but I don't see any reason why he'd be lying and many reason why the clinics would be lying!

10. jacob21
      Amazed

jacob21 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 > 2009 "cured" >2nd onset June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induce ( loud music )
      @ifilip Don't agree with you.

Stem cells works very well for many diseases in the body such as arthritis
      you can find many testimonies on youtube
      check this company which is established since more than 10 years: in US: www.regenexx.com

Regarding hearing loss this another story

• Agree Agree x 1
    11. ifilip

ifilip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud sound
      Actually it's not me with who you don't agree with, I don't make these claims, I'm not a scientist. I just wrote what an expert in this area told me.
      If you don't agree with him, I suggest you to ask him a question on Quora, I'm sure he'll be happy to explain to you why is it exactly that he says what he says.

Anyway, either you believe him or not, I think it's worth reading and thinking about it.

• Like Like x 1
    12. jacob21
      Amazed

jacob21 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 > 2009 "cured" >2nd onset June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induce ( loud music )
      @ifilip , yes of course , sorry . I meant don't agree with the scientist for this part "stem cell therapy is a scam and it doesn't cure any diseases nor fix any damages in the human body."

I was in contact with few persons who has been healed from injury, knees, hip etc.. with stem cells

I really hope one day something will come out for hearing loss

All the best

13. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      That guy (Dr. Angry) is a real prick! He may be right, idk, but damn. He certainly doesn't have a clue about tinnitus.

• Informative Informative x 2
    14. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Yeah. It's like the Bermudas effect... it seems that almost whoever declares going for SC in Asia dissapears from the forum. Who knows... maybe they travelled with Malaysian Airlines. :whistle:

(Just some bitter humor. Hope they are OK)

• Funny Funny x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    15. Pleasure_Paulie

Pleasure_Paulie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise or maybe... unicorns!
      There is absolutely no robust clinical studies that prove (with our current methods of delivery and cultivation) that Stem Cells can cure Tinnitus. One anecdotal report is not how science is conducted; and not how you should make decisions regarding your health. Do I believe Stem cells have the capability to assistant tinnitus patients in the future; absolutely. I have more I could write about this topic on a personal level, but would prefer not to on a public board.

• Like Like x 3
    16. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      That's why you are one of the voices I enjoy in this forum. Among so many crappy posts there are at least a few well behaved and rational personalities that provide nice information. Thumbs up PP!
      V.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      Hello everyone !

I was wondering how Bill was doing these days... Does anyone has news from him ???

All the Best !

Christophe

18. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      A first of its kind study using cord stem cells has been underway for about five years (the small-scale trial took place at the Florida Hospital for Children). Given the lengthy period of time that the study has been underway, it has likely dropped off the radar for a number of people. Also, there has been speculation about the status of the trial due to the wording found via the clinical trial website:

upload_2017-10-18_19-10-21.png

Source: www.clinicaltrials.gov (use identifier: NCT02038972)

But I can confirm that the study has been completed and that the manuscript has been submitted for peer-review. We should hopefully learn more about the results of the study by the end of the year (give or take). There is no point in trying to search for this information on the Internet because you will not find it announced anywhere.

A positive result from this trial has the potential to clarify treatment protocols for hearing loss (in at least certain patient populations) well before standardized treatments hit the market in some 5 to 10 years time (or more). And given the simplicity of the administration of stem cells in this case (i.e. IV-delivered), the procedure is especially risk-free (compared with surgery involving the ear directly).

For sure, the above-mentioned trial was one that helped shape my own decision making back in 2013.

• Informative Informative x 6
      • Like Like x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    19. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @attheedgeofscience. Thank you for posting that update. Did I read correctly that they are talking here about treating the kids with autologous stem cells (harvested from your own body).

And I am going to keep my fingers crossed to hear a good result.

20. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 2
    21. Phendran
      Benevolent

Phendran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hopefully the prices will come down so regular people can actually benefit from these kinds of treatments as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
    22. Nick07
      Balanced

Nick07 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      possibly noise or unknown
    23. lymebite
      Vegged out

lymebite Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Interesting article dated 17 June 2017 about Richard Neel, an emergency medicine physician from Texas, USA, successfully treated with stem cells for an inner ear disorder by Celltex, of Texas.

An excerpt:

Traditional medicines weren't working so he took advice from his patient, who'd been getting stem cell therapy for arthritis. "I was real skeptical at first so I started looking into it, met Dr. Jones at Celltex, met a lot of patients who've had stem cells," Neel said.

Neel started feeling positive effects within a week of each treatment. "Now, over a year after the stem cell treatments, I have not had another episode of vertigo," he said. "The hearing loss hasn't been reversed, but it hasn't progressed either."

https://www.ksat.com/news/politics/...wing-texans-to-use-own-stem-cells-as-medicine

• Informative Informative x 2
    24. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      Not at all disappointing. If a treatment does help repair damaged nerves throughout the body that can only help everyone here. The price will change over time if there is provable consistent safe improvement to health.

• Agree Agree x 2
    25. OceanInShell
      Kick ass

OceanInShell Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      NIHL, musician
      @attheedgeofscience I've just discovered your writings here and I'm fascinated!

One of the things that caught my attention was that you had such a pronounced result from laser therapy. I'm of two minds of this, and I wonder if you'd be so kind as to give me your thoughts?

One is that I can see how laser therapy might stimulate regeneration at some level, after all, we are using ultrasound now to stimulate teeth to regrow, which sounds totally like a... pseudoscience joke or fraud... but it's real, and there seem to be independent companies working in the same direction using ultrasound for teeth, bone, etc. So I could speculate and think lasers might stimulate a similar process in the ear (though the exact process of how this happens totally eludes me).

But I'm also a deeply sceptical person, so I wondered if there was perhaps a placebo effect, or some error at work (after all, others have used laser therapy to no effect; though that might also be attributed to incorrect laser usage).

So I suppose my question is -- did you go for any further hearing tests prior to the stem cell treatment?

And after the stem cell treatment?

I hope this finds you well, I must say thank you for documenting your journey so thoroughly, you're one of the astronauts of our times. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    26. Codaz

Codaz Member

This is interesting. But stem cell therapy is quite a heavy treatment.

27. attheedgeofscience
      No Mood

attheedgeofscience Member Podcast Patron Mighty Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Resolved since 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown (medication, head injury)
      I believe I posted some extra audiograms when I did my introduction back in 2013/4.

28. friend

friend Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      head trauma
      Here’s an update for you all! I spent fortune on stem cells it did NOTHING for my tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus!! But took my money and hope!!

• Hug Hug x 3
    29. Bidyut saha
      Cloud9

Bidyut saha Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What an earning game with helpless people! But I'm a little bit lucky because I don't have very much money to go for these kind of treatments :)

30. Vincent R
      Caffeine

Vincent R Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Did you?

May I ask what clinic, what treatment and at what cost?

• Good Question Good Question x 1