New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Stayinghopeful
      Procrastinating

Stayinghopeful Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Worsened with COVID-19 / Anesthesia
      Neuromod had to be, it was the only way they could possibly make any money. If Lenire had come out after Dr. Shore's device, I doubt nowhere near as many people would take a chance on it.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. gameover

gameover Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      This was in a bad taste and I regret posting this. I hope she stays in a good health, and God bless her for working on a relief for us. I hope it comes as soon as possible.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 4
      • Funny Funny x 1
    3. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @@dam, it was 6 weeks.

4. awake 44
      Angelic

awake 44 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of playing in heavy metal band.
      Yeah... I guess it will be set up along with some interview and you will be free to go. I'm just wondering if any tweaks in the software will be needed (due to the tinnitus parameters changing), and if we will be able to solve that remotely. If that is the case, I'm all good. I've never been to the US and A. I will give myself double present: silence plus holiday of a lifetime.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    5. awake 44
      Angelic

awake 44 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of playing in heavy metal band.
      It was in bad taste indeed. Dr. Shore is our only hope, she is dedicated to us and we owe her our highest respect. Good on you for your apologizing for your mistake.

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 4
    6. cjbhab
      Disappointed

cjbhab Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sinuses, Ear infection
      Why would you need to reside in the USA for the whole duration of the treatment? Are they seeing you every week? Even if this is the case, I’ll make it happen.

7. Fightthearmy

Fightthearmy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      work-related
      Depends, will the thingamajig be yours to keep right from the launch, or will the treatment be administered exclusively at clinics in the early stages?
      My worst fear is it's gonna be this timeline:

FDA approval --> US launch --> Paperwork --> Aaaaand then, some paperwork --> Overseas launch.

• Agree Agree x 2
    8. Ryan Scott
      Inspired

Ryan Scott Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      If her device works, I will probably give her 20% of my salary every Christmas to show my gratitude.

#InSusanWeTrust

• Like x 8
      • Agree x 3
      • Hug x 1
      • Winner x 1
      • Informative x 1
    9. dj_newark

dj_newark Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes, the treatment lasted 6 weeks. But I fail to see why the confusion on here is so pervasive that the treatment period will be the same as the trial period. Trials have to have defined beginnings and ends as part of their nature. Once you own the device, you will use it as long as you want.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    10. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Susan Shore tattoo? Hell yes.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    11. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      The next Tinnitus Research Initiative conference will be in Dublin on 6-9 June.

Does anybody know if Dr. Susan Shore will present her latest results there? Will anybody from Tinnitus Talk attend this conference?

It's very frustrating that there are no news about the progress or results in detail on the web. I need hope to stay alive.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    12. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      We'll be there.

I don't think Dr. Shore will (I'm not 100% sure though), at least she's not listed as having a slot for a presentation. From our previous experience, not many US-based researchers attend TRI conferences, it's mostly EU folks there.

• Like Like x 6
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    13. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      champ.png

• Funny x 6
      • Winner x 6
      • Like x 5
      • Agree x 4
      • Creative x 2
      • Friendly x 1
    14. Jonno02
      Frustrated

Jonno02 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2012. Worsened 2022.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Primarily loud music. Secondary - ETD + TMJ
      This is something I'm interested in too.

I don't think any of us here would moan at strapping this to our head for 30 minutes a day for the rest of our lives for relief from tinnitus anyway, but I wonder if either of these are realistic:

1. Like with medication/antibiotics, you start off on a high dose (using the device every day) for 6-12 weeks. Once the tinnitus calms down, you go onto a lower maintenance 'dose' and maybe use it twice/three times a week just to keep everything ticking over.

2. If the fusiform cells can become permanently hyperactive, and for the sake of this point we'll assume that's because they receive less input from hair cells dying, then should the opposite also be presumably true? The device after several months of use may permanently calm these cells down and, once you reach near-silence, you can stop using the device? If further damage occurred to your ears and the tinnitus rears its head again, you'd just repeat your treatment cycle.

Susan Shore's team may not even know the answers and the day 1 adopters may be involved in follow-up studies to determine the above, maybe not of so much interest for private use as once you own the device, you own it. But maybe for people that are undergoing chemotherapy that can induce tinnitus? Hospitals may have some of these devices on hand that people can check in/check out during their treatment to keep tinnitus away.

This along with the frequencies being user changeable are at the top of my 'I'd love to know' list.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. Cbush

Cbush Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Age loud noise
      Hi @Markku, when do you believe the device will be available to we peons, and do you know if it will truly work to help us or not?

• Good Question Good Question x 4
    16. @dam

@dam Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely noise
      Once this treatment comes out, I'm going to ask the Bionics Institute if they want to do a pre-treatment scan. Then I'll fly to the United States, do the 12 weeks of treatment and go back down to Melbourne for a post-treatment scan. It would make concrete evidence if they can visibly see the brain changes.

• Like Like x 7
    17. Joeseph Stope
      Innocent

Joeseph Stope Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise? infection? negative stress? other?
      Well how could they know the long-term results? That will pan out a year or two after it's been released. We are the guinea pigs, I guess... I'm up to taking the chance --- I benefitted somewhat from the TRT sound therapy back in the mid 90s.
      I would like to meet the team if I can get there.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. TinnyCanMan
      Artistic

TinnyCanMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Visual Snow
      Gonna look like a cyborg with my iontophoresis machine and now this device, I'm so ready.

• Like Like x 2
    19. dj_newark

Tinnitus Since:
      I just asked Dr. Shore that question, and also asked if the conference in France this September will be streamed on the Internet the way that the Palm Springs Hearing Seminar conference was. And this is what she said:

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 1
    20. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      This would provide incredibly useful information for us if you could make that happen.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    21. dj_newark

Tinnitus Since:
      You won't need to stay in America for 12 weeks. You'll buy the device and take it home and use it. That's it!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    22. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I don't like speculating. For all we know, there could be a delay for reason unbeknownst to us, or things could advance quicker than we thought. All these timeline speculations I've seen don't mean anything to me until we hear it straight from the horse's mouth.

Will it work? I will only say that I will eat my hat if it doesn't work better than Lenire. Speaking of Lenire, did you know that Neuromod recently asked us to update our Here's Why the Jury's Still Out on Lenire article, because it, in their words, misses context and information since their latest study's publication (which occurred after our article went out)? I replied and asked e.g., if they have yet conducted any studies with a control group, if they have noticed any improvement in tinnitus loudness, ... You know what? Never got a reply.

Our BS meter is on high alert after all these supposedly effective treatments that have failed us, but so far Dr. Shore's work has proven to be on another level. It's not without faults, some researcher contacts of ours have voiced some concerns, and I sometimes worry about this extremely positive vibe in this thread, setting the expectations so very high. I wouldn't personally be surprised if the real life results were going to be somewhere between Lenire and what we have been shown thus far.

We hope to interview Dr. Shore as soon as feasibly possible. @Hazel is ready to travel to Michigan and record it all on video, as well.

• Like x 9
      • Winner x 7
      • Informative x 4
      • Agree x 3
      • Helpful x 1
      • Genius x 1
    23. Jonno02
      Frustrated

Tinnitus Since:
      2012. Worsened 2022.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Well, it's 20 years in the making with several concluded clinical trials, so I’m sure they have some idea.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. Hardwell

Hardwell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/10/2015
      It’s good to see you interacting with the forum again Markku Zuckerberg. Has Dr. Shore indicated she’d be up for an interview? I can only imagine she’ll agree when there’s something new she’s allowed to talk about. Especially how she’s insistent on how busy she is at present.

• Good Question Good Question x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    25. Markku
      Inspired

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      Yes, but the exact time is to be determined, and your conclusion is correct :)

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    26. AfroSnowman
      Balanced

AfroSnowman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Nonnatural energy source
      ?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.explicit.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP.jpg

• Funny Funny x 7
      • Hug Hug x 1
    27. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I don’t understand why Dr. Shore is not attending the TRI conference in Dublin. I think in 2019 she attended the TRI conference in Taipei, Taiwan. If she has breaking news, why doesn’t she want to share it? Aren’t they all searching for a tinnitus cure?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
    28. Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      Indeed, she attended the TRI in Taipei. I interviewed her there:

I do not know whether she will attend TRI Dublin 2023, but looking at the preliminary program, like @Markku already mentioned, she is not one of the speakers.

I think the issue is she doesn't want to share the final results until they are 100% vetted by peer review. I have to say, personally, I agree with this approach. The worst outcome would be to raise hopes or expectations that later turn out to be unfounded because the results, upon closer scrutiny, do not hold up.

Having by now read many papers on clinical trial results, it's clear to me just how complicated it is to evaluate the effectiveness of a tinnitus treatment. You're dealing with a condition that has no objective measure, is highly susceptible to the placebo effect, and also very heteregeneous in nature. This is why we've seen so many clinical trial results published in the past that at first glance seemed like a breakthrough, but upon closer inspection were anything but.

My point is that I appreciate the dilligent approach; the aim of science should not be to ease the impatience of this community but rather to practice good science. That's just my opinion, for what it's worth :)

• Like Like x 14
      • Agree Agree x 3
    29. Jonno02
      Frustrated

Tinnitus Since:
      2012. Worsened 2022.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I heavily agree with this, but also when you've submitted to a regulatory authority, you do not attend conferences and talk about your devices/results. Sometimes less is more. You don't want to make a comment about something that isn't covered in any great detail within the submission and then the regulatory authority catch wind of your comments and come back and ask for more data, proof, tests etc., that delay their decision.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    30. dj_newark

Tinnitus Since:
      So let's hope that by the time she speaks in France in September, the device is FDA approved!

• Like Like x 10
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 6
      • Hug Hug x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1