New University of Michigan Tinnitus Discovery — Signal Timing

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hudson, Jun 20, 2013.

1. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      If the device proves to be beneficial to a large number of people, I can see Shore potentially being a recipient of the Nobel Prize for her outstanding contributions to medicine or physiology. Researchers would continue to build on her findings too.

Not saying it will happen though. We can never be too sure because we lack reliable and proper ways to measure tinnitus objectively. But it is 20 years in the making for Dr. Shore, using basic science. There’s definitely potential for something groundbreaking here.

INB4 the optimistic ratings that I’m about to receive.

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. Fightthearmy

Fightthearmy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      work-related
      Calm down, you're making me spike.

• Funny Funny x 9
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. ErikaS

ErikaS Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection/Ultra High Frequency SSHL in Right Ear
      I noticed in the exclusion criteria of the Phase II study that it lists "certain medications and conditions (will be reviewed at screening)". Did they at all comment on this otherwise? It would be helpful to know if a med like a benzo or certain antidepressants were a no-no (and why) or if a condition like hyperacusis was not allowed.

• Like Like x 2
      • Creative Creative x 1
    4. F-u-T

F-u-T Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trama
      I wouldn’t read too much into the exclusion criteria.

Studies are aimed for approval and designed to eliminate as many variables as possible to aim for consistency.

I think the device has helped to treat both tinnitus and hyperacusis.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. Jonno02
      Frustrated

Jonno02 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2012. Worsened 2022.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Primarily loud music. Secondary - ETD + TMJ
      That would just be to give them clear cut data with no unforeseen interference and the best chance of success.

Totally making this up here, but you don’t want to accept people taking Amitriptyline and then discover it dulls the electrical stimulation of the nerves and turns a 90% effective treatment into a 50% effective treatment.

Same with hyperacusis etc. The actual exclusion criteria will come from field testing, clinical trials are too small to account for variables like these.

It’s a good thing, don’t panic about the exclusion criteria for the study!

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    6. Nick47

Nick47 Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Can you provide links to these patent fillings?

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    7. dj_newark

dj_newark Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Yes! I hope to see those links. It would be incredible if Dr. Shore's device also helped with hyperacusis!

I see that she has also researched hyperacusis, but I don't know how far along she's gone with that, or if her device will actually help with hyperacusis. Let's hope!

Ventral cochlear nucleus bushy cells encode hyperacusis in guinea pigs

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    8. BrysonKingMe

BrysonKingMe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paradoxical on Klonopin leading to a shitton of other proble
      In the University of Minnesota thread @kelpiemsp said his hyperacusis went away, following his tinnitus. Not the same device but maybe it could work to some degree.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    9. ErikaS

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hope you are hanging in there, @BrysonKingMe, or should I say surviving, as that is what I tell my support system people when they text me to see how I am doing. I also very much hope that we can find relief from reactivity and hyperacusis with Dr. Shore's device.

• Agree x 7
      • Like x 2
      • Helpful x 1
      • Hug x 1
      • Friendly x 1
    10. BrysonKingMe

BrysonKingMe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Paradoxical on Klonopin leading to a shitton of other proble
      Thanks Erika.

I think everyone should be cautiously optimistic on expectations from this device. I believe it will substantially reduce tinnitus volume based off of the preliminary results alongside the provenness (is that a word?) of bimodal stimulation.

I do not think it will eliminate tinnitus completely, eliminate hyperacusis or be a magical mp3 player for all ear problems.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    11. ErikaS

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I agree. Cautiously optimistic and also very grateful to Susan Shore for her efforts.

• Agree Agree x 5
    12. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Without going too in-depth in my research, I can with confidence say there's a ~90-95% chance Dr. Shore's device will help loudness hyperacusis. There are almost no studies about noxacusis and the DCN, but from the ones I've read I can say that there's a good chance it can help noxacusis as well. The volume of the signals would have to be taken into account as well, though.

Unmyelinated type II afferent neurons report cochlear damage

• Like Like x 4
      • Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    13. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      I don't get it. Is Dr. Shore retiring? How is this beneficial to her device?

• Genius Genius x 2
      • Funny Funny x 2
    14. Joshua Macleod
      Studious

Joshua Macleod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, presumably!
      I think this has been covered elsewhere in the thread but I'll answer it here.

In academic terms, retirement can mean a reduction in teaching and administrative duties in favour of a reduced PI/research focused position. Alternatively, it could mean Dr. Shore takes an advisory type position over a research team.

As has been explained above, Dr. Shore has essentially done this in order to focus on her role as CSO of Auricle. She's focusing on the device release and, I imagine, looking forward to a fruitful retirement!

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    15. dipp
      Moonlighting

dipp Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown. Maybe stress and acoustic trauma
      If some Tinnitus Talk members are or have been in the clinical trials for Dr. Shore's device, are they required to not post any information?

I think I remember some member who was participating in clinical trials for Lenire and provided some information here prior to the launch, am I right?

16. Joshua Macleod
      Studious

Joshua Macleod Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise, presumably!
      If I recall correctly, @linearb has posted their experience with Dr. Shore's device. Perhaps 3-4 pages back. They describe a reduction in tinnitus. Upon ending the trial, it returned to baseline. Have a bit of a dig and you can read it for yourself.

• Like Like x 3
    17. Fightthearmy

Fightthearmy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      work-related
      I think we've said everything there is to say regarding @linearb. See page 145 and 149.

18. awake 44
      Angelic

awake 44 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Years of playing in heavy metal band.
      It is worth mentioning that the trial lasted only 4 weeks. There is a suspicion longer use will result in permanent recovery.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    19. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Please, just read through the thread. Too many people asking questions that have been answered multitudes of times.
      Keep in mind this was a very long time ago. The new results display a permanent change in tinnitus volume, even after the treatment is ceased.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    20. Utdmad89
      Depressed

Utdmad89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I'm hoping it works. But we have no evidence it will bring total silence. In the clinical trial, the average was 75% reduction. We really need the results to be published before we speculate that this will bring silence to us all.

• Agree Agree x 3
    21. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I see no reason for it to not keep decreasing tinnitus if you keep using it longer.

• Like Like x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    22. Hardwell

Hardwell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/10/2015
      I don’t care for silence, I would take a 30% reduction.

• Agree Agree x 10
      • Hug Hug x 1
    23. ErikaS

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dr. Shore has never stated or said her device was going to bring total silence. No one here that has read through the information, clinical trial results, etc. is assuming this will bring total silence. Could it happen to someone? Possibly, we don't know. But that isn't the expectation. The assumption and hope, based on clinical trial results, is that this will be an effective intervention for many (cannot say all) in the tinnitus population to bring their debilitating tinnitus, whether that is loudness or intrusiveness, down to a much more tolerable level that makes living with this condition notably easier and manageable. Thus, significantly improved quality of life.

As @AnthonyMcDonald and others have said, PLEASE read through the last 10-15 pages of this thread before asking a general question.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Genius Genius x 1
    24. Kleiner

Kleiner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      There is currently no evidence of the extent to which this treatment is effective, and I speak from experience. It seems obvious that it works for at least one subgroup, but no conclusions can be drawn from this.

It's not known how far this device can reach the site of generation of tinnitus, starting from the main that the DCN is not the only place of generation. All of this Dr. Shore makes a point of keeping secret, while she takes the time to answer the same dumb questions asking when the FDA approval will be etc, wtf.

Dr. Shore is definitely a good scientist and thanks to her for exploring this condition, but the wait times between each step are ridiculously long.

Similarly, the calibration of the device in the clinical trial will not be the same as in a commercial formula.

I hope this will all be resolved and there will be encouraging information soon. And I especially hope that Auricle will have a faster vision than Dr. Shore in the development of its device.

Until a group of people have tested it in real conditions, it is better to remain moderately optimistic.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Hug Hug x 1
    25. Utdmad89
      Depressed

Utdmad89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Erm, I have read through it all, thank you! I wasn't asking a general question and I don't see you as an authority telling me if I can post or not.

I never claimed that Dr. Shore had said that her device will bring silence. Someone else literally said that it will provide a permanent recovery. Some have been saying it will cure hyperacusis and reactive tinnitus. But there has been no evidence of this. So once again people should wait till the results are published before getting excited.

26. ErikaS

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry, that "read though the pages" was not directed at you at all but I see how it appeared that way in my post. I should have quoted @AnthonyMcDonald as he was speaking toward other posts asking very general, repeated asked questions when they can learn the answer to their question and even more by reviewing prior posts. So again, my apologies.

I agree that we cannot state that it will provide a permanent recovery. And I also agree it will not work for everyone. I do hope that it has a positive effect on reactivity and loudness hyperacusis. But I have always used the word hope with no intention of making a claim that it will or to persuade others to think that it will. So I agree with you. When I read your post it came across to me another way. Miscommunication, too much wine last night and headache this morning!

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    27. Bmore1234
      Wishful

Bmore1234 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing Loss
      Hello!

Do we have any idea of things that trigger a spike (alcohol, caffeine, cannabis, salt, etc) will still trigger a spike after Dr. Shore's treatment? I've looked and didn't see it addressed anywhere. Wondering if we'll still need to avoid those things in the future.

I realize we won't actually know until we try, but was wondering your all's thoughts.

Thanks!

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    28. Utdmad89
      Depressed

Utdmad89 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Thank you for the apology. I'm sorry for jumping the gun, as you know tinnitus doesn't give us the longest fuse. I also hope for all those things and maybe a long shot at visual snow! Fingers crossed the device gives us all the relief we are after.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    29. F-u-T

F-u-T Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trama
      Just think... In another five, maybe ten years, we won’t have to guess how effective this device will be. :) :whistle: (y)

J/K. I enjoy checking this thread daily as a distraction to the maddening sound within my head. Hopefully we see FDA approval soon and have access to the long awaited Auricle.

I view Dr. Shore’s retirement as a positive things may be moving in that direction sooner rather than later.

• Like Like x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    30. UKBloke
      No Mood

UKBloke Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud Music / family history
      This is a massively important point and why I personally don't believe Susan Shore's device will be treating the cause of tinnitus. Nevertheless, I do believe wholeheartedly that there's huge potential for it to ameliorate the noise; and like I've said many times before on these threads (as someone with decades experience of this condition), a percentage of noise reduction, if that happens consistently for a decent cohort of users, will be a monumental breakthrough.

• Agree Agree x 4