Prof. Thanos Tzounopoulos Receives $2 Million Grant

Nobody said it's not going to work on chronic tinnitus. I think it's impossible to check in animal models if it's effective in chronic cases, they can only induce tinnitus in an animal and then try to reverse it within limited time.
I do not understand how they can tell when the animal has or does not have tinnitus when it is something that is still difficult to verify in humans, knowing that animals do not speak!

I do not understand how they can tell when the animal has or does not have tinnitus when it is something that is still difficult to verify in humans, knowing that animals do not speak!

My understanding is that the typical approach is to make a sound set at a specific volume level for which animals without tinnitus can hear the sound, and it causes a startle response. For animals with tinnitus, they do not hear the same sound (on account of the tinnitus) and it does not cause a startle response.

Basically: rat hears a sound -> gets food.

Repeat multiple times.

Rat goes for food when it hears a sound.

Induce tinnitus.

Rat goes for food without external stimulus -> rat has tinnitus.
Rat doesn't go for food without external stimulus -> rat has no tinnitus.

Tadaaa.

Prof. Tzounopoulos does not know if RL-81 will be effective for CHRONIC tinnitus. So by the time if and when this may be out in market, all of us here might be out of luck.

Prof. Tzounopoulos does not know if RL-81 will be effective for CHRONIC tinnitus. So by the time if and when this may be out in market, all of us here might be out of luck.
By the time this is out we're going to be dead. There's no hope.

Xenon Pharmaceuticals is creating a similar drug targeting the same receptors for rare infant seizure disorders. They're in phase 2 I believe. Obviously not for tinnitus on-label butttttt...

Can somebody please ask Professor Thanos Tzounopoulos, when is Phase 1 starting?

Guy's first and last name start with the letter "T", it is a sign from above. TT.

Why the heck is he still playing with mice? We already KNOW Retigabine worked.

He's been playing with mice for the last 5 years.

I don't pretend to know what kinds of regulations there are as to whether drugs are 'new' and require the full pipeline from pre-clinical to Phase 3 but I would assume Prof. Tzounopoulos fallen afoul of something — that means RL-81 needs to be tested thoroughly from the ground up.

He doesn't use it very often but here's his Twitter for those interested:

https://twitter.com/acousticthanos

Where he stated in February that "We Are Getting Closer to a Clinical Trial."

Honestly, he seems like an enthusiastic guy who really wants this to go to trial and work for tinnitus sufferers; medical progress is painfully slow but I'm going to be keeping a close eye on this one.

At this point we'll be able to grow organs in labs successfully before any effective treatment for tinnitus is officially on the market :D
With our luck, in the near future... a biotech company will demonstrate the ability to regrow every single part of the human body, all of it... except the cochlea.

There has to be some unknown herb in the world that can reverse these things.
Maybe one of these islands where they attack anyone getting close!
With our luck, in the near future... a biotech company will demonstrate the ability to regrow every single part of the human body, all of it... except the cochlea.
Damn, at that point they should just work on transferring the human psyche to a whole new body. I'll volunteer as a test subject.

Maybe one of these islands where they attack anyone getting close!
Maybe this is why those un-contacted / non-modern peoples have perfect hearing at an old age? Or it's just that they haven't been exposed to city noise, construction, loud music, earbuds, fireworks, airbags... but who am I to know?

Maybe this is why those un-contacted / non-modern peoples have perfect hearing at an old age? Or it's just that they haven't been exposed to city noise, construction, loud music, earbuds, fireworks, airbags... but who am I to know?
That, and the nice teeth. Maybe we're onto something. Maybe they're onto something. Too bad it's too late for us to become hermits. We're already fucked, and not in the good way.

That, and the nice teeth. Maybe we're onto something. Maybe they're onto something. Too bad it's too late for us to become hermits. We're already fucked, and not in the good way.
It's NEVER too late to become a hermit.

I believe this to a certain degree. I think our auditory systems were not designed to hear the amount of man-made, artificially created sound we hear on a daily basis. If we were to measure the level of sound or decibel output of sounds created in nature, with few exceptions the sounds would be lower in decibels and not at a constant level (I know cicadas, crickets, frogs, etc.). I think the level and the amount of perpetual noise we receive daily is too much for some of our auditory systems.
It's NEVER too late to become a hermit.
From one who has been a hermit lately, it's no fun.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now